Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2020 1:49:54 PM   
joejitsu

quote:

ORIGINAL: CPAMAN

How is the NFL draft an item of concern or interest to anyone in lieu of where we are with our socio-economic and health situation in its current state. We may very well be in line for a depression even greater than that of the 1930's and the NFL draft is even worth mentioning?

I think it's good to keep your mind on other things rather than just worrying about this current state of affairs. I personally like seeing all of the draft updates because it keeps me from thinking about all the other stuff.
Post #: 576
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2020 3:25:24 PM   
CPAMAN

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

How is the NFL draft an item of concern or interest to anyone in lieu of where we are with our socio-economic and health situation in its current state. We may very well be in line for a depression even greater than that of the 1930's and the NFL draft is even worth mentioning?

I think it's good to keep your mind on other things rather than just worrying about this current state of affairs. I personally like seeing all of the draft updates because it keeps me from thinking about all the other stuff.

I agree with you on that point but it will be even more interesting to see if they have an NFL season next Fall.

Lots of Christopher Columbus statues available on ebay.
Post #: 577
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2020 3:28:18 PM   
thebigo

quote:

I hope you've cashed out all your stocks 401k etc
Post #: 578
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2020 3:32:00 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree with you on that point but it will be even more interesting to see if they have an NFL season next Fall.

How is the NFL season next Fall an item of concern or interest to anyone in lieu of where we are with our socio-economic and health situation in its current state. We may very well be in line for a depression even greater than that of the 1930's and the NFL season next Fall is even worth mentioning?

It's high times for you, isn't it CPAMAN? You must be positively giddy with the current state of things.
Post #: 579
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2020 4:34:14 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

I think you make a fair point. None of us lived during the Great Depression, but I've been told that people didn't lock their doors when they left their house and they didn't have security cameras at Target throughout the store, so I think that people were very honest and were respectful to each other. Also, they made houses with front porches then so that they could sit on their lounge chairs and chat with people as they walked by down the sidewalk. It was a different time when everyone knew each other. Many people still had jobs, but they worked very hard to support their families because they were not highly paid.

It was also a time where some of the greatest American humor rose up. Life was hard, but they still loved to laugh and perhaps there was more need for that then then ever. They didn't have television in those days, but a lot of Americans crowded around the radio to listen to humor or other diversions. The cinema was just about to approach it's golden era, the pinnacle being 1939. Have you ever seen a list of all of the great movies of 1939? Check it out if you haven't. Some of the humor examples that I can think of are Laurel and Hardy, the Marx Brothers, Shirley Temple and Spanky and Our Gang, but I'm sure there were other notables.

It was also a golden age for Baseball with Babe Ruth and the NY. Yankees and for college football. I mean, NFL was struggling as a league, but college football was huge.

So my point is that if indeed we go into another Great Depression, and I fear too that we might, then sports will be more important than ever as people will need to seek relief from the hardships of life.

https://www.history.com/news/great-depression-entertainment-monopoly-movies-radio

https://www.bestmoviesbyfarr.com/articles/movies-from-the-great-depression/2015/06

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 580
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2020 6:57:44 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I will provide the link so you won't have to read it for those who think Twitter quotes are boring. However, I think this is fascinating.

https://twitter.com/sosarick/status/1246841729065590784?s=09

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 581
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2020 6:58:44 PM  2 votes
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

I think you make a fair point. None of us lived during the Great Depression

I pretty sure CPAMAN lived through the Great Depression, I mean the guy's posts alone could lead us into a Great Depression.
Post #: 582
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2020 7:18:26 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Because many don't want to dwell on the negative.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 583
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2020 7:23:07 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

I will provide the link so you won't have to read it for those who think Twitter quotes are boring. However, I think this is fascinating.

One of the quotes in that link showed that despite Cousins having the most average time to pass he actually had the 5th least time in the pocket.

If you dive deeper into the actually numbers for the OL, which is time he has in the POCKET, which was a rough 2.2, he has those three in roll outs etc which we run a lot to buy him time. 2.2 seconds is the 5th worst in the NFL where the average is 2.6.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 584
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2020 8:15:18 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

One of the quotes in that link showed that despite Cousins having the most average time to pass he actually had the 5th least time in the pocket.

If you dive deeper into the actually numbers for the OL, which is time he has in the POCKET, which was a rough 2.2, he has those three in roll outs etc which we run a lot to buy him time. 2.2 seconds is the 5th worst in the NFL where the average is 2.6.

Again, to roll him out frequently is good coaching. Nevertheless, there must be some serious drawbacks to rolling out. Cousins is a good passer when he rolls out, though. I'm also reading that QB ratings league wise wise are 10% better on roll outs than straight drop backs. I guess that extra second or two makes it that much tougher for the secondary to hold onto tight coverage. It also improves the clarity of vision that the QB can see downfield. One more advantage is that it might help the QB put more velocity on ball when he is already moving down hill. This article here says that Cousins is special while rolling left. It is one of his strengths. We focus on his weaknesses, but coaches have to game plan to a players strength.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/kirk-cousins-the-nfls-most-dangerous-quarterback-to-his-left/

Post #: 585
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2020 8:40:23 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm not getting along with a second lady sportswriter, now. I've told her that I would prefer that sportswriters be a fan of the team they write about. She countered that then they can't ask the tough questions. I've never heard her ever ask a tough question. (Actually, she's a tv reporter and sometimes sports anchor. I'm probably giving it away who she is, now.) I didn't say that, but I replied that a fan of the team could still ask the tough questions because they care so much for the team that they succeed. But to me, most of all a fan of the team means they are happy when the team does well and I believe we are attracted to happiness. If the team has a tough loss do we really want a dispassionate report as if they didn't care? If it's a national broadcast, then I understand, but a local report?

Post #: 586
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2020 9:55:05 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

How is the NFL season next Fall an item of concern or interest to anyone in lieu of where we are with our socio-economic and health situation in its current state. We may very well be in line for a depression even greater than that of the 1930's and the NFL season next Fall is even worth mentioning?

It's high times for you, isn't it CPAMAN? You must be positively giddy with the current state of things.

Todd !

Look forward to seeing you man.

Great hanging with you, and your buddies at Viking games!

I’m pretty sure we’ll get through this, and will be able to let the good times roll.

Hell we got through the Ponder years we can get through anything... 😁
  Post #: 587
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/6/2020 2:31:18 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Again, to roll him out frequently is good coaching. Nevertheless, there must be some serious drawbacks to rolling out. Cousins is a good passer when he rolls out, though. I'm also reading that QB ratings league wise wise are 10% better on roll outs than straight drop backs. I guess that extra second or two makes it that much tougher for the secondary to hold onto tight coverage. It also improves the clarity of vision that the QB can see downfield. One more advantage is that it might help the QB put more velocity on ball when he is already moving down hill. This article here says that Cousins is special while rolling left. It is one of his strengths. We focus on his weaknesses, but coaches have to game plan to a players strength.

https://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/analysis/kirk-cousins-the-nfls-most-dangerous-quarterback-to-his-left/

It also cuts off a lot of the field.
Post #: 588
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/6/2020 7:56:52 AM   
Bill Jandro

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/4/21206289/vikings-next-man-up-dl-ifeadi-odenigbo

I know Bruce posted this link somewhere but I couldn't find it to comment on it.

Not a very glowing report. If you get owned by Charles Leno Jr that is not a good sign.

I think we will need to get a an edge guy early in the draft.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 589
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/6/2020 8:48:04 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/4/21206289/vikings-next-man-up-dl-ifeadi-odenigbo

I know Bruce posted this link somewhere but I couldn't find it to comment on it.

Not a very glowing report. If you get owned by Charles Leno Jr that is not a good sign.

Not a great game overall by Odin Bigo, but

It was only about half-way through the fourth quarter when he may have caught Leno a little off his guard, got around him and made a nice behind-the-back strip sack ala Jared Allen. Odenigbo did himself one better by picking up the fumble as well and running it in for a touchdown. It was a great play by the young defensive end. After that play, he seemed a bit more active, and trying the same speed rush around the arc a couple more times with a bit more success than earlier in the game.

I'm happy with a strip sack to recovery and defensive TD in a bad game any time.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 590
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/6/2020 10:16:45 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Seemed it was mostly about stopping the run. Maybe that's why they signed Zettel. Platoon them. I'll take a strip sack and return for a TD every game of the season.

Bottomline though is we have more pressing needs.
Post #: 591
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/6/2020 11:29:49 AM   
Phil Riewer

Hercules also maybe a factor:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/6/21209636/hercules-mataafa-isnt-undersized-defensive-tackle-minnesota-vikings

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 592
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/6/2020 11:51:49 AM   
kgdabom

My preference for the tackle spot is Watts if we can't get one of the better ones.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 593
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/6/2020 6:16:46 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/6/21209636/hercules-mataafa-isnt-undersized-defensive-tackle-minnesota-vikings

Wow. He must have been gaining weight since last summer. You know we do lack the pass rushing element from the 3 tech. This is a very interesting development. Between him and Watts and Johnson and Holmes (I wonder how much Holmes weighs now?) I think we have some options that can enable us to wait a bit on draft day.

Still so many needs. The Vikings will have to find some patch for a couple of positions. DE may be another one.

Post #: 594
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/6/2020 11:09:37 PM   
Bruce Johnson

In 2015, the Vikings went into the season with these guys as starters:

WR1: Mike Wallace
WR2: Charles Johnson
RG: Mike Harris
RT: T.J. Clemmings
LCB: Terrence Newman (age 38)
MLB: Audie Cole
SS: Robert Blanton

They went 11-5. Won the division. Players emerge.

(Dustin Baker on Twitter)

Post #: 595
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 3:26:19 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Percentage of seasons a team with Gary Kubiak as offensive coordinator finished in the Top 10 of NFL in points scored: 92%

Percentage of seasons a team with Gary Kubiak as offensive coordinator finished in the Top 12 of NFL in rushing yards: 100%

Post #: 596
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 3:29:48 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Percentage of seasons a team with Gary Kubiak as offensive coordinator finished in the Top 10 of NFL in points scored: 92%

Percentage of seasons a team with Gary Kubiak as offensive coordinator finished in the Top 12 of NFL in rushing yards: 100%

I like those stats. Moreso I like the super bowls.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 597
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 3:40:43 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Hope so. He's my wife's favorite Viking - and if he becomes a contributor, she wants a jersey.

(Not many NFL players from Maui)
Post #: 598
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 6:33:17 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Hope so. He's my wife's favorite Viking - and if he becomes a contributor, she wants a jersey.

(Not many NFL players from Maui)

289 pounds!

Yeah if this kid found his game it would be huge for us, but this could be his last shot.

Yeah Brotha, my wife’s family also had numerous Seau, and Polamalu Jerseys being Samoan, and they’ll be all over Hercules’ as well.

Lotta ifs but Hercules flashed a little but disappeared early last year.
  Post #: 599
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 6:34:25 PM   
They’ll claim him even though he may be from Maui..
  Post #: 600
Page:   <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  22 23 [24] 25 26   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode