Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 6:44:50 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I'm not getting along with a second lady sportswriter, now. I've told her that I would prefer that sportswriters be a fan of the team they write about. She countered that then they can't ask the tough questions. I've never heard her ever ask a tough question. (Actually, she's a tv reporter and sometimes sports anchor. I'm probably giving it away who she is, now.) I didn't say that, but I replied that a fan of the team could still ask the tough questions because they care so much for the team that they succeed. But to me, most of all a fan of the team means they are happy when the team does well and I believe we are attracted to happiness. If the team has a tough loss do we really want a dispassionate report as if they didn't care? If it's a national broadcast, then I understand, but a local report?

I think you're being unrealistic.

Most sportswriters and reporters aren't from the state where they gain employment. So even if they still have teams they root for, it's likely not ones in their market.
Post #: 601
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 6:45:56 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Hercules also maybe a factor:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/6/21209636/hercules-mataafa-isnt-undersized-defensive-tackle-minnesota-vikings

Hope so. He's my wife's favorite Viking - and if he becomes a contributor, she wants a jersey.

(Not many NFL players from Maui)

He's an easy guy to pull for. I watched him somewhat closely when he was in last year, and you could tell he just wasn't big/strong enough. If he can maintain his quicks with size, I think he could be a difference maker.
Post #: 602
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 6:50:41 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/6/21209636/hercules-mataafa-isnt-undersized-defensive-tackle-minnesota-vikings

Hope so. He's my wife's favorite Viking - and if he becomes a contributor, she wants a jersey.

He's an easy guy to pull for. I watched him somewhat closely when he was in last year, and you could tell he just wasn't big/strong enough. If he can maintain his quicks with size, I think he could be a difference maker.

Awful close to making a few plays.

I’m rooting hard for him.

Rod’s son played for Washington State’s Basketball team when Hercules was there, said stories of Hercules’ weight room work were legendary Bob. With a name like that, what else do you expect. A hell of a player too.
  Post #: 603
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 6:52:16 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

I'm not getting along with a second lady sportswriter, now. I've told her that I would prefer that sportswriters be a fan of the team they write about. She countered that then they can't ask the tough questions. I've never heard her ever ask a tough question. (Actually, she's a tv reporter and sometimes sports anchor. I'm probably giving it away who she is, now.) I didn't say that, but I replied that a fan of the team could still ask the tough questions because they care so much for the team that they succeed. But to me, most of all a fan of the team means they are happy when the team does well and I believe we are attracted to happiness. If the team has a tough loss do we really want a dispassionate report as if they didn't care? If it's a national broadcast, then I understand, but a local report?

Most sportswriters and reporters aren't from the state where they gain employment. So even if they still have teams they root for, it's likely not ones in their market.

Also, traditionally it is frowned upon to be a homer of the team you're covering since you have to maintain objectivity. Cheering on press row is frowned upon, if not forbidden. The blogger era accommodates more of what you're after (Bruce, that is) since many of the sites are essentially fan sites.
Post #: 604
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 7:04:05 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

You're right. She is originally from Massachusetts. In the past she covered the Packers and the Bears. Maybe it would be challenging for some to root for the team in each city, but you know I have experience with that. When I was young I lived all over the United States. I found myself rooting for the local team wherever I went. Of course the Vikings were always number one in my heart.

But still, am I wrong that we are attracted to happiness? I know I am pretty weird, but I have often thought in the past that there is no such thing as a woman who is happy and ugly at the same time. I have never read anywhere someone else saying that. I just must think differently than others. My philosophy is that if I love my wife and keep her happy she will always return beauty to me.

The lady sports reporter gave up with me saying that I just don't get it. (I didn't explain everything I am explaining to you.) You know with Twitter, you can only write a few words and then you have to stop. That's why I like it better here. I do feel a little more free to express myself, although I suppose some things are impossible to explain.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 605
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 7:15:53 PM   
Bruce Johnson

bohumm

Also, traditionally it is frowned upon to be a homer of the team you're covering since you have to maintain objectivity. Cheering on press row is frowned upon, if not forbidden.

It must be some unwritten rule. Who makes the rules, anyway? Not all of the rules and the laws are good, but I recognize that in a world where I may think differently, it's not necessary for everyone to agree with me. It's hard enough for me to persuade even one person. I guess I'm not very persuasive. When I came back to Minnesota I tried selling insurance. I thought I could be successful just explaining to people why it was in their best interest to buy my product. Funny thing was that the ones who were doing well were intimidating and forceful in their sales. It didn't take long for me to see that I was in the wrong business.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 4/7/2020 7:17:17 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 606
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 7:38:15 PM   
Bruce Johnson

This is off topic, so forgive me, but I read that this other browser called Brave was better than Google Chrome. I thought I would give it a shot and I was amazed how much better it is. I'm not getting the usual barrage of ads everywhere. I just thought I should share. We deserve to have a better internet. That's another reason why I have loved coming here- because I don't get the ads here for some reason.

Post #: 607
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 8:09:09 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

You're right. She is originally from Massachusetts. In the past she covered the Packers and the Bears. Maybe it would be challenging for some to root for the team in each city, but you know I have experience with that. When I was young I lived all over the United States. I found myself rooting for the local team wherever I went. Of course the Vikings were always number one in my heart.

But still, am I wrong that we are attracted to happiness? I know I am pretty weird, but I have often thought in the past that there is no such thing as a woman who is happy and ugly at the same time. I have never read anywhere someone else saying that. I just must think differently than others. My philosophy is that if I love my wife and keep her happy she will always return beauty to me.

The lady sports reporter gave up with me saying that I just don't get it. (I didn't explain everything I am explaining to you.) You know with Twitter, you can only write a few words and then you have to stop. That's why I like it better here. I do feel a little more free to express myself, although I suppose some things are impossible to explain.

Do you hold male reporters to the same standards?
Post #: 608
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 8:13:08 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

bohumm

Also, traditionally it is frowned upon to be a homer of the team you're covering since you have to maintain objectivity. Cheering on press row is frowned upon, if not forbidden.

It must be some unwritten rule. Who makes the rules, anyway? Not all of the rules and the laws are good, but I recognize that in a world where I may think differently, it's not necessary for everyone to agree with me. It's hard enough for me to persuade even one person. I guess I'm not very persuasive. When I came back to Minnesota I tried selling insurance. I thought I could be successful just explaining to people why it was in their best interest to buy my product. Funny thing was that the ones who were doing well were intimidating and forceful in their sales. It didn't take long for me to see that I was in the wrong business.

I would rather read articles or listen to commentary from the reporter, broadcaster that likes it when we do well.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 609
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 8:35:27 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Do you hold male reporters to the same standards?

I would be happy to discuss it with a male reporter. Well, I p'd off two lady reporters so maybe I've talked about this subject enough. This particular reporter I told her that I had thought of her as someone who was happy when the Vikings won- so she fooled me. That's what I told her when she said didn't give a lick about the team.

When I think about the male reporters I think the same. I think that they seem happy when the team does well. I'm talking about the local reporters. I think it's better when I think that way- that they all are happy when the team does well. If the team does crappy, then who wants to follow the team and listen to reports. Isn't that enough of a reason to wish them well? I'll tell you this. This lady reporters confession to me makes me so that I don't want to listen to her on tv anymore. I used to think she was interesting and unique. I even told her that before.

Post #: 610
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 8:36:29 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

Awful close to making a few plays.

I’m rooting hard for him.

Rod’s son played for Washington State’s Basketball team when Hercules was there, said stories of Hercules’ weight room work were legendary Bob. With a name like that, what else do you expect. A hell of a player too.

When I say not big/strong enough, I mean by mutant NFL standards of strength as a factor of size, so it's not remotely intended as a slight at all. And you're right, he would often be on the cusp, so I think the extra size and strength he seems to have added could allow him to be quite disruptive.
Post #: 611
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 8:55:08 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I asked Dustin Baker on Twitter to look up this stat and he obliged. It has felt like to me that we run too much on first down. The one year, or part of one year that DeFilippo was the coordinator might be skewing with this stat.

Teams that run football most on 1st Down, since 2017:

1. Texans (58.9%)
2. Ravens (58.6%)
3. Redskins (58.1%)
4. Titans (57.0%)
5. Seahawks (56.0%)
6. Cowboys (55.8%)
7. Vikings (54.3%)
8. Patriots (53.7%)
9. 49ers (53.7%)
10. Bills (53.2%)

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 4/7/2020 8:59:30 PM >

Post #: 612
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 9:08:36 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I asked Dustin Baker on Twitter to look up this stat and he obliged. It has felt like to me that we run too much on first down. The one year, or part of one year that DeFilippo was the coordinator might be skewing with this stat.

1. Texans (58.9%)
2. Ravens (58.6%)
3. Redskins (58.1%)
4. Titans (57.0%)
5. Seahawks (56.0%)
6. Cowboys (55.8%)
7. Vikings (54.3%)
8. Patriots (53.7%)
9. 49ers (53.7%)
10. Bills (53.2%)

I think an important caveat to that is the #1 team has a QB that runs 6 times/game and the #2 team a QB that runs 10(!) times/game.
Post #: 613
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 9:19:23 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Ok. I just asked Ludford the same question. Some of you don't give a rats a** what Ludford says or thinks, but I'll pass along his reply to my question that seems to anger the lady reporters. It's probably too late. I will now have the reputation of being a sexist. Sorry. Maybe I'm tired, but I don't like reporters who say they don't care about the Vikings when it's their job to report about them.

Oh. I almost forgot. Here is his latest piece:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/4/5/21208897/vikings-next-man-up-dt-armon-watts?utm_campaign=wludford&utm_content=chorus&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

Post #: 614
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 10:33:23 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

1. Texans (58.9%)
2. Ravens (58.6%)
3. Redskins (58.1%)
4. Titans (57.0%)
5. Seahawks (56.0%)
6. Cowboys (55.8%)
7. Vikings (54.3%)
8. Patriots (53.7%)
9. 49ers (53.7%)
10. Bills (53.2%)

I think an important caveat to that is the #1 team has a QB that runs 6 times/game and the #2 team a QB that runs 10(!) times/game.

It needs to be broken down further into game situations. Teams that tend to be ahead by two or more scores in the fourth quarter are going to run on first down nearly 100% of the time yet in the first quarter when it was 0-0 it could have been much different.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 615
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/7/2020 11:39:03 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can only speak for the Twin Cities area, I would say conservatively that a minimum of 80% of the local sports media that cover the Vikings are fans of the team. The only contra that immediately pops to mind is Dan Barreiro, a Chicago bobo who's bitter that he is stuck in "fly over country". What is this lady reporter's name?
Post #: 616
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2020 5:07:42 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

1. Texans (58.9%)
2. Ravens (58.6%)
3. Redskins (58.1%)
4. Titans (57.0%)
5. Seahawks (56.0%)
6. Cowboys (55.8%)
7. Vikings (54.3%)
8. Patriots (53.7%)
9. 49ers (53.7%)
10. Bills (53.2%)

It needs to be broken down further into game situations. Teams that tend to be ahead by two or more scores in the fourth quarter are going to run on first down nearly 100% of the time yet in the first quarter when it was 0-0 it could have been much different.

Fair enough.

Post #: 617
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2020 5:17:30 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can only speak for the Twin Cities area, I would say conservatively that a minimum of 80% of the local sports media that cover the Vikings are fans of the team. The only contra that immediately pops to mind is Dan Barreiro, a Chicago bobo who's bitter that he is stuck in "fly over country". What is this lady reporter's name?

That's why I like Paul Allen better than Barreiro. Perhaps some people tune in more for information, but I am one who is looking for information secondarily and joy primarily. Same thing for coming here. I come here because I am looking for happiness first and information second. I come here because I can chat with fans who feel the same way about the Vikings that I do.

Interesting sidebar about Barreiro is that I was familiar with him in Dallas before here. He used to write a column there in the newspaper just like he did here for the Startribune. As you know, he did the column before he was a co-host on the radio with Chad Hartman.

Post #: 618
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2020 7:55:57 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

This is off topic, so forgive me, but I read that this other browser called Brave was better than Google Chrome. I thought I would give it a shot and I was amazed how much better it is. I'm not getting the usual barrage of ads everywhere. I just thought I should share. We deserve to have a better internet. That's another reason why I have loved coming here- because I don't get the ads here for some reason.

At home and at work I use Google Chrome with Ad Block Plus (free).

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 619
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2020 8:20:52 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Big O was asking who the reporter is.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dawn_Mitchell

Post #: 620
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2020 8:39:07 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Percentage of seasons Vikings under Mike Zimmer finished in the Top 12 of NFL in points allowed:

100%

(Dustin Baker on Twitter)

Post #: 621
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2020 10:10:35 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

That's why I like Paul Allen better than Barreiro. Perhaps some people tune in more for information, but I am one who is looking for information secondarily and joy primarily. Same thing for coming here. I come here because I am looking for happiness first and information second. I come here because I can chat with fans who feel the same way about the Vikings that I do.

Interesting sidebar about Barreiro is that I was familiar with him in Dallas before here. He used to write a column there in the newspaper just like he did here for the Startribune. As you know, he did the column before he was a co-host on the radio with Chad Hartman.

I listen to PA almost every Sunday because I'm usually watching one of my kids play linebacker for the Munster Colts Pop Warner team (Go Colts...). His excitement about the team kind of grows on you as the game goes on, and Pete is there to kind of cool him out when it is needed.
Post #: 622
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2020 10:20:43 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

1. Texans (58.9%)
2. Ravens (58.6%)
3. Redskins (58.1%)
4. Titans (57.0%)
5. Seahawks (56.0%)
6. Cowboys (55.8%)
7. Vikings (54.3%)
8. Patriots (53.7%)
9. 49ers (53.7%)
10. Bills (53.2%)

Excellent point.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 623
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2020 10:22:59 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

never heard of her.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 624
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/8/2020 11:54:56 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

never heard of her.

She's on all the Vikings pregame shows. I don't like her.

https://www.fox9.com/person/m/dawn-mitchell

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 625
Page:   <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  23 24 [25] 26 27   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode