Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  247 248 249 [250] 251   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2021 11:58:06 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Preifer was actually considered a future head coach, until Kluwe went public over his anti gay rant.

Chris will be happy to hear this. Poor Priefer, his well-earned future head coaching job ruined by a mediocre punter who didn't like hearing that gays should be sent to an island and nuked. If there ever was a victim, surely it's Mike Priefer.

Who implied Mike Preifer is a victim?

You did. Here's how to write what you wrote without the bias.

"Priefer was actually considered a future head coach, until he made a comment about about nuking gay people.

Not this again....Chris Kluwe was the victim just ask him.

He has limits on what he can and can't say because of the wording in the settlement he was given.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6226
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2021 12:15:50 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: kwheats

Zimmer's choices for his new OC!!!

https://t.co/TTzjVzwstp?amp=1

Man I hope not. Anthony Lynn was a disaster in Los Angeles the past two seasons as a head coach. Maybe get his offensive coordinator, who has done a decent job. Another Kubiak? Talk about nepotism. I've seen enough of that over the past four years.

The other guys I can live with, although Dorsey has no experience in an offensive coordinator role. He was an athletic director at a college until 2019. That would seem to be a stretch and he isn't going to make Kirk Cousins into the next Josh Allen.

Lynn too much like Zimmer.

If Tyrod Taylor didn't get hurt, we might not have seen Herbert.

So Bruce would you rather have Diggs or Jefferson at this point (I think it was more a Thielen being there for his leaving as much as Cousins/Cook---Zimmer offense). You just would need a remarkable amount of targets to have two top dog WRs. Buffalo can target Diggs a ton as there isn't another top dog...

Cole Beasley is a beast and just missed 1000 yards receiving. Buffalo's third WR had 35 catches for 599 yards and 7 TDs. Our third WR had 14 catches for 189 yards and 0 TDs. All the while Diggs led the NFL in catches and yards with 127 catches for 1535 yards and 8 TDs.

I like Cole Beasley a lot (now that he's not with Dallas). Kinda Julian Edelman-ish – more a first down grabber #3 type WR (as opposed to an outside downfield threat). Both Beasley and Edelman are rich man's Beebe's.

I'll stick with Jefferson / Thielen over Diggs / Beasley or Davis or Brown but ...

Buffalo has four good WRs + playcalling that uses them + a QB that extends plays very well to get them the ball.

Not sure in this eternity we're ever going to see a good G or #3 WR. Maybe next one.
Post #: 6227
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2021 12:22:14 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Man I hope not. Anthony Lynn was a disaster in Los Angeles the past two seasons as a head coach. Maybe get his offensive coordinator, who has done a decent job. Another Kubiak? Talk about nepotism. I've seen enough of that over the past four years.

The other guys I can live with, although Dorsey has no experience in an offensive coordinator role. He was an athletic director at a college until 2019. That would seem to be a stretch and he isn't going to make Kirk Cousins into the next Josh Allen.

So Bruce would you rather have Diggs or Jefferson at this point (I think it was more a Thielen being there for his leaving as much as Cousins/Cook---Zimmer offense). You just would need a remarkable amount of targets to have two top dog WRs. Buffalo can target Diggs a ton as there isn't another top dog...

Cole Beasley is a beast and just missed 1000 yards receiving. Buffalo's third WR had 35 catches for 599 yards and 7 TDs. Our third WR had 14 catches for 189 yards and 0 TDs. All the while Diggs led the NFL in catches and yards with 127 catches for 1535 yards and 8 TDs.

I like Cole Beasley a lot (now that he's not with Dallas). Kinda Julian Edelman-ish – more a first down grabber #3 type WR (as opposed to an outside downfield threat). Both Beasley and Edelman are rich man's Beebe's.

I'll stick with Jefferson / Thielen over Diggs / Beasley or Davis or Brown but ...

Buffalo has four good WRs + playcalling that uses them + a QB that extends plays very well to get them the ball.

Not sure in this eternity we're ever going to see a good G or #3 WR. Maybe next one.

I'm worried that the couple splash plays that Beebe had that we will think we are good.

Beebe is a 4 or 5 WR who contributes on ST, not a guy who gets big snaps. We need a 4.3 guy to keep Safeties honest.
Post #: 6228
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2021 12:39:50 PM   
SoMnFan

Please tell me that last painful "Bisi Johnson turns upfield, and comes up just short of the first down marker" on Sunday was the last one. Please.
It's similar to the "oh no Rudy just can't quite make the sticks" play that we got used to for a decade.
Only more painful

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6229
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2021 12:51:42 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm worried that the couple splash plays that Beebe had that we will think we are good.

Beebe is a 4 or 5 WR who contributes on ST, not a guy who gets big snaps. We need a 4.3 guy to keep Safeties honest.

I agree.

Although I would be happy with any kind of decent WR as a "#3": slot / outside / big and physical / a chubby little waterbug dude that scuttles around under people's legs catching first downs due to excessive hand glue ... whatever ... just consistently effective.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 1/5/2021 12:54:25 PM >
Post #: 6230
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2021 1:11:19 PM   
Trekgeekscott

No surprise here, Marwan Malouff or whatever his name is, is not coming back as ST Coach.

I'm sure you guys have already hammered this to death, but I just noticed.

Our ST were garbage this year. No good returns. Dan Bailey missing kicks frequently. giving up big returns.

Malouff is a synonym for failure.

< Message edited by Trekgeekscott -- 1/5/2021 1:12:23 PM >

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 6231
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2021 1:26:51 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

No surprise here, Marwan Malouff or whatever his name is, is not coming back as ST Coach.

Our ST were garbage this year. No good returns. Dan Bailey missing kicks frequently. giving up big returns.

If my memory serves me I think there was one game this year where the opposition blocked about 17 of our punts.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6232
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2021 1:33:21 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

If my memory serves me I think there was one game this year where the opposition blocked about 17 of our punts.

Indeed. More malouufing

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 6233
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2021 1:37:29 PM   
David F.

Let's assume next year we get back Hunter, Barr, Kendricks, and Pierce. Let's assume we draft and/or acquire some semblance of a two competent guards, and move Cleveland to LT. Between the draft and low-tier FA we get a WR3, a safety and a kicker. Let's also assume injuries to be somewhere in the 'normal' range. For example, out of Cook, Jefferson, Thielen, Irv and the O-linemen we see something like 10-20 games missed between them all. Same on the defensive side - between Harrison Smith, Kendricks, Barr, Hunter and Pierce we see about 5-15 games missed among them all. Kirk stays healthy all year and only misses 0-2 games.

If all this happens, then what are our expectations? What is the range of success and the consequences of missing it?

0-8 wins - Fire Spielman and Zimmer?

9 wins and no playoffs - Fire Spielman and Zimmer?

9-10 wins and one-and-done in playoffs - Fire Spielman and Zimmer?

9-10 wins and one win in the playoffs - Just fire Spielman?

11-14 wins and one-and-done in the playoffs - Just fire Zimmer?

11-14 wins and one win in the playoffs - Fire no one?

13+ wins and multiple playoff wins - Everyone safe for sure?

Post #: 6234
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2021 4:17:10 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

Let's assume next year we get back Hunter, Barr, Kendricks, and Pierce. Let's assume we draft and/or acquire some semblance of a two competent guards, and move Cleveland to LT. Between the draft and low-tier FA we get a WR3, a safety and a kicker. Let's also assume injuries to be somewhere in the 'normal' range. For example, out of Cook, Jefferson, Thielen, Irv and the O-linemen we see something like 10-20 games missed between them all. Same on the defensive side - between Harrison Smith, Kendricks, Barr, Hunter and Pierce we see about 5-15 games missed among them all. Kirk stays healthy all year and only misses 0-2 games.

If all this happens, then what are our expectations? What is the range of success and the consequences of missing it?

0-8 wins - Fire Spielman and Zimmer?

9 wins and no playoffs - Fire Spielman and Zimmer?

9-10 wins and one-and-done in playoffs - Fire Spielman and Zimmer?

9-10 wins and one win in the playoffs - Just fire Spielman?

11-14 wins and one-and-done in the playoffs - Just fire Zimmer?

11-14 wins and one win in the playoffs - Fire no one?

13+ wins and multiple playoff wins - Everyone safe for sure?

IMO NFC Title game or clean house. Zimmer and Speilman have had enough time to show what they can do. Super Bowl teams historically don't take this long.
Post #: 6235
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2021 6:39:54 PM   
Bruce Johnson

After 3 seasons as a Viking, Kirk Cousins has the highest passer rating (103.6) and ANY/A (adjusted net yards per attempt) (7.15) of any starting QB in #Vikings franchise history.

Warren Ludford

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6236
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2021 6:49:26 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Looking for something more inspirational? Watch this two minute video.

https://twitter.com/WillRagatz/status/1346615276608086016?s=20

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 6237
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/5/2021 8:40:26 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I swear people just look at volume stats.

Kirk Cousins is 15th in pass attempts but top 10 in yards and touchdowns.

Justin Jefferson is 15th in targets but still 4th in yards.

(Dominique Clare on Twitter)

Post #: 6238
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/6/2021 7:07:11 AM   
Bill Jandro

Jefferson should be named 1st team all pro. 15.9 yards per catch led the league.

My guess is he gets pushed down to second team because he is a rookie.

I'm also sure he'll finish runner up to Herbert in ROY due to the bias of QB.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 6239
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/6/2021 7:17:52 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Jefferson should be named 1st team all pro. 15.9 yards per catch led the league.

My guess is he gets pushed down to second team because he is a rookie.

I'm also sure he'll finish runner up to Herbert in ROY due to the bias of QB.

Fine with me if he gets snubbed. Keep/build that chip on his shoulder. Stay hungry young man!

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 6240
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/6/2021 7:28:10 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

14 ... but who's counting.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6241
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/6/2021 7:45:21 AM   
Phil Riewer

The KR has basically been nullified by the NFL and our punter is one of the best but the PR coverage, PR returns, and FG---that led to his undoing.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6242
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/6/2021 7:54:42 AM   
Phil Riewer

Usually I look at development of our best players and their ages for next year...

Cook 25
Kendricks 28
Barr 28
Hunter 26
Pierce 28
JJ 21
Thielen 30
Cousins 32
H Smith 31
Gladney 24
Dantzler 22
I Smith 22

I see a ton of talent on this team capable of a run next year. They brought in some cheaper talent at DE, CB and WR for cap saving thru the draft and they received a ton of PT.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 6243
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/6/2021 9:37:03 AM   
Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

13. Remember that Zimmer won the 2nd of his 38 challenges when he said that guy got an early jump?
Post #: 6244
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/6/2021 9:55:13 AM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

quote:

ORIGINAL: SoMnFan

quote:

quote:

13. Remember that Zimmer won the 2nd of his 38 challenges when he said that guy got an early jump?

Thats right!

Damnnn, he's good at those challenge thingies

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6245
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/6/2021 10:52:58 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

Usually I look at development of our best players and their ages for next year...

Cook 25
Kendricks 28
Barr 28
Hunter 26
Pierce 28
JJ 21
Thielen 30
Cousins 32
H Smith 31
Gladney 24
Dantzler 22
I Smith 22

I see a ton of talent on this team capable of a run next year. They brought in some cheaper talent at DE, CB and WR for cap saving thru the draft and they received a ton of PT.

You're expecting the corners to improve. That's asking a lot in a Zimmer-coached team.

No doubt there is talent there

But you're also missing 2 defensive linemen that need to be at least average, a couple d-backs that must be better than what they have, a ? at Free Safety, and interior offensive linemen.

IF guys improve. No guarantees.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6246
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/6/2021 11:00:16 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

Cook 25
Kendricks 28
Barr 28
Hunter 26
Pierce 28
JJ 21
Thielen 30
Cousins 32
H Smith 31
Gladney 24
Dantzler 22
I Smith 22

You're expecting the corners to improve. That's asking a lot in a Zimmer-coached team.

But you're also missing 2 defensive linemen that need to be at least average, a couple d-backs that must be better than what they have, a ? at Free Safety, and interior offensive linemen.

Far be it from me to defend Zim because I want him gone. BUT, he does have a pretty long time established track record of developing defensive backs, especially corners. I'll give him his due on that one single, solitary point.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6247
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/6/2021 11:03:27 AM   
Mr. Ed

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

quote:

Cook 25
Kendricks 28
Barr 28
Hunter 26
Pierce 28
JJ 21
Thielen 30
Cousins 32
H Smith 31
Gladney 24
Dantzler 22
I Smith 22

Far be it from me to defend Zim because I want him gone. BUT, he does have a pretty long time established track record of developing defensive backs, especially corners. I'll give him his due on that one single, solitary point.

Rhodes improved and developed, then dropped off.
Waynes is marginal, ditto Alexander. Of late that's not a stellar track record.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 6248
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/6/2021 11:31:06 AM   
Bruce Johnson

This is surprising to me. The 2020 Vikings offense averaged 1.8 more yards per game than the 1998 Vikings.

Post #: 6249
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/6/2021 11:35:05 AM   
thebigo

quote:

The KR has basically been nullified by the NFL and our punter is one of the best but the PR coverage, PR returns, and FG---that led to his undoing.

That may be a days gone by kind of thing, he definitely through up a few weak punts this year.
Post #: 6250
Page:   <<   < prev  247 248 249 [250] 251   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  247 248 249 [250] 251   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode