Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  245 246 [247] 248 249   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 2:43:00 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott
PFF is a waste of time. Their grades are in essence meaningless.

I wouldn't take it that far, but they are hardly the be all and end all of performance evaluation. There are a lot of gaps there.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6151
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 2:43:13 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Didn't see the game, but how is Cousins not grading out at at least 66.2? Were the receivers throwing to themselves?

You sort of answered your own question there.

I saw the game and I have the same question. He completed 70% of his passes for over 400 yards with 3 TD and no picks.

PFF doesn't care if the defender drops the easy INT. He had two plays with those. One where he inexplicably threw it directly to a D-lineman standing all by himself. One of his passes to Jefferson was off the mark by such a degree that it caused Jefferson to lose his balance and fall down where he caught it. There was no defender in sight - easy TD. Kirk also took an early sack where he had plenty of time and just stood there as the lone rusher came at him. He made no attempt to elude the rusher. His rating for the day was accurate. It was the Lions. 3 TDs and 400 yards is the standard against them.

So, we have one near int, a completion that wasn't perfectly thrown and a sack. Yeah, that wipes 400 yds and 3 TD right off the board.

TWO easy INTs that were dropped and a pass that was so bad it cost the team a TD. The rating is correct. They rewatch every play over and over. Sorry but the performance from yesterday wasn’t excellent it was just good.

Nonsense. They are the best rating and analysis available. Not perfect of course.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6152
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 2:44:51 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen
The Lions allowed an average of 2.4 passing TDs per game this season so big props to Kurt for his additional 0.6 TDs!

He threw 112 yards over what their 30th ranked D allows. Whoo Hoo!

25% more TD and 40% more yards. The quality of the defense is irrelevant. QB's get rated whether they play good or bad defenses. You still have to execute and actually pile up those numbers. If we're going to play the mitigating factor game, Cousins put up big numbers without Cook and operating behind the shittiest line in football with one of its few good players out of the lineup.

Look, nobody is asking for Cousins to named offensive player of the week. bohum simply raised a good question. You would think those numbers would rate something 60 in PFF's grading regardless of who he played against.

Well yeah. That’s why his rating was over 60. Above average.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 6153
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 2:46:27 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

Nonsense. They are the best rating and analysis available. Not perfect of course.

No, they really aren't. They try to quantify performance the way advanced stats do in baseball and basketball, but the criteria is much harder to contextualize then the other sports.

They are somewhere between where you and Scott rate them.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 6154
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 2:48:29 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, they really aren't. They try to quantify performance the way advanced stats do in baseball and basketball, but the criteria is much harder to contextualize then the other sports.

What service is better? Name it or my point stands as correct.

Post #: 6155
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 2:49:54 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The best service I can find is my own eyes. Cousins sucks!

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 6156
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 2:50:26 PM   
David F.

Speaking of cook being out am I the only one that noticed mattison was out team MVP yesterday? That was an incredible performance. Best back-up RB in the NFL except for Kareem hunt?

Post #: 6157
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 2:51:57 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The best service I can find is my own eyes. Cousins sucks!

Well I concede that your eyes are a superior service. I’m gonna need you to start breaking down every game for me though and have the results available by 9AM the next morning.

Post #: 6158
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 2:53:00 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen
The Lions allowed an average of 2.4 passing TDs per game this season so big props to Kurt for his additional 0.6 TDs!

He threw 112 yards over what their 30th ranked D allows. Whoo Hoo!

25% more TD and 40% more yards. The quality of the defense is irrelevant. QB's get rated whether they play good or bad defenses. You still have to execute and actually pile up those numbers. If we're going to play the mitigating factor game, Cousins put up big numbers without Cook and operating behind the shittiest line in football with one of its few good players out of the lineup.

Look, nobody is asking for Cousins to named offensive player of the week. bohum simply raised a good question. You would think those numbers would rate something 60 in PFF's grading regardless of who he played against.

"The quality of the defense is irrelevant."

"...regardless of who he played against."

With those as your guiding principles for grading a QB, I got nothing. Enjoy your stats reflecting a typical KC outing... big stats against a shitty D.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 1/4/2021 2:54:34 PM >
Post #: 6159
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 2:58:06 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Speaking of cook being out am I the only one that noticed mattison was out team MVP yesterday? That was an incredible performance. Best back-up RB in the NFL except for Kareem hunt?

Calls into question why he didn't get more touches to keep Cook fresh and lessen the punishment on him?

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 6160
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 2:59:36 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They try to grade a players performance not having a clue what that players responsibility is on any given particular play and the judgement is 100% subjective.

It's a waste of time.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 6161
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 3:03:30 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

They try to grade a players performance not having a clue what that players responsibility is on any given particular play and the judgement is 100% subjective.

It's a waste of time.

They have a pretty good idea what the players’ responsibilities were on each play. It’s figure-out-able. This is NFL football not quantum physics.

Post #: 6162
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 3:09:46 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

Didn't see the game, but how is Cousins not grading out at at least 66.2? Were the receivers throwing to themselves?

You sort of answered your own question there.

Wow. Didn't really expect this from you, but the bolded is exactly why I was asking the question. You gave some valid reasons, though that might not be enough to knock him down that far. PFF is not the Bible, Koran, or even the Big Book. Oh wait, none of those are the infallible Word of God, either.

I didn’t mean for my comment to be harsh but rather a good natured haha/gotcha type of thing

Got it.
Post #: 6163
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 3:14:41 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's a waste of time.

They have a pretty good idea what the players’ responsibilities were on each play. It’s figure-out-able. This is NFL football not quantum physics.

Figure outable is another way of saying "guessing"

Post #: 6164
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 3:17:29 PM   
bohumm

PFF is one tool. I don't buy the Zimmer line that it's worthless because they don't know what everyone is supposed to be doing, but there are limits on what they can know. Analytics are great----up to the point where they're not. We overapply analytics throughout society, so it's no surprise that sports have become what they are. Chris "Conflict of Interest" Collinsworth (who I generally like and also respect that his DNA is so alpha that his kid is a near carbon copy) throws out stuff all the time without context or caveat. Case in point, when to go on fourth down: the analytics used are for the league as a whole, not a given team on a given night in a given place against another given team on a given night in a given place. So the Vikings going for it on 4th-and-1 from their own 45 against Bears in a sloppy field is not the same as the Browns in the same situation on indoor turf against the Texans. The number Collinsworth spits out is one parameter to consider, but first and foremost is knowing your own team, and then knowing your opponent and the situation.
Post #: 6165
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 3:30:42 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, that's not how it works. You made the assertion. The burden of proof is on you to support it. It's like asserting that there was wide spread voter without providing to support the assertion.

Post #: 6166
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 3:31:22 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's a waste of time.

Zimmer has said that. Who knows the responsibilities of the OL or the safeties. Or a DT who 'only' eats up blockers. How do you factor two good WRs into a QB grade.
Post #: 6167
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 3:32:24 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

PFF is one tool. I don't buy the Zimmer line that it's worthless because they don't know what everyone is supposed to be doing, but there are limits on what they can know. Analytics are great----up to the point where they're not. We overapply analytics throughout society, so it's no surprise that sports have become what they are. Chris "Conflict of Interest" Collinsworth (who I generally like and also respect that his DNA is so alpha that his kid is a near carbon copy) throws out stuff all the time without context or caveat. Case in point, when to go on fourth down: the analytics used are for the league as a whole, not a given team on a given night in a given place against another given team on a given night in a given place. So the Vikings going for it on 4th-and-1 from their own 45 against Bears in a sloppy field is not the same as the Browns in the same situation on indoor turf against the Texans. The number Collinsworth spits out is one parameter to consider, but first and foremost is knowing your own team, and then knowing your opponent and the situation.

Exactly. Use it as one piece of the analytic process. It's not the definitive analytic tool in football.

Post #: 6168
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 3:34:36 PM   
David Levine

quote:

Of course Zimmer thinks its worthless.

Analytics are like fire or the wheel. He doesn't trust them because they weren't around until later in his life.
Post #: 6169
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 3:35:43 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, that's not how it works. You made the assertion. The burden of proof is on you to support it. It's like asserting that there was wide spread voter without providing to support the assertion.

Whatever they sick then I guess. Jesus Christ.

Post #: 6170
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 3:37:14 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Deja vu...

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6171
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 3:38:00 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

What day/ off-season year is this again?

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 6172
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 3:42:19 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

Of course Zimmer thinks its worthless.

Analytics are like fire or the wheel. He doesn't trust them because they weren't around until later in his life.

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 6173
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 3:44:30 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

TMI
Post #: 6174
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/4/2021 3:47:53 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No. He says they are the best. Period. Nothing left to assert or support.

You say they are not, so burden of proof is on you. Who is the best then?
Post #: 6175
Page:   <<   < prev  245 246 [247] 248 249   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  245 246 [247] 248 249   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode