Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/6/2020 10:28:42 PM   
Pager

Before the 2019 season? When he had a total of like 6 starts? And had a year before being an unrestricted free agent?

Could you post the source? Sorry if you have posted this before. I don't remember it.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1451
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/7/2020 9:07:15 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Before the 2019 season? When he had a total of like 6 starts? And had a year before being an unrestricted free agent?

Could you post the source? Sorry if you have posted this before. I don't remember it.

No, you go look it up.
Post #: 1452
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/7/2020 11:21:08 AM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

No, you go look it up.

It would have been a bad business decision for Harris and agent to sign last year - unless he didn’t believe in himself which, if you’ve heard him in an interview, is not the case. He had just 6 starts previously but played well enough to be the presumptive starter for 2019.

The team most likely approached him before 2019 because it was hugely to their benefit to do so (even if he turned out to be a merely decent starter, it would have been an UDFA ganga and resume bullet point for Spielman). Unless the cap situation made that negotiation impossible.

There is no source for this, just common sense.
Post #: 1453
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/7/2020 5:48:56 PM   
Pager

I don't remember reading one single article/anything about an extension prior to the 2019 year. I remember tracking the Harris situation because I was advocating for the Vikes to sign him to an extension prior to the 2019 season, ala Thielen (probably best comp) or Hunter/Diggs/Kendricks. Contract talks usually get reported and I def don't remember Harris' agent saying they weren't going to sign an extension.

But I could be wrong, missed it, forgot it, etc.

< Message edited by Pager -- 6/7/2020 5:57:23 PM >

Post #: 1454
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 7:37:28 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

I don't remember reading one single article/anything about an extension prior to the 2019 year. I remember tracking the Harris situation because I was advocating for the Vikes to sign him to an extension prior to the 2019 season, ala Thielen (probably best comp) or Hunter/Diggs/Kendricks. Contract talks usually get reported and I def don't remember Harris' agent saying they weren't going to sign an extension.

You are correct. We didn't have the cap space so it simply wasn't on the table.

There were a few of us who were advocating to sign Harris long term early. I don't think Harris had mention testing free agency until the end of the 19 season. So Spielman missed the opportunity to get him locked up early/cheaper.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1455
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 11:45:16 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

No, you go look it up.

It would have been a bad business decision for Harris and agent to sign last year - unless he didn’t believe in himself which, if you’ve heard him in an interview, is not the case. He had just 6 starts previously but played well enough to be the presumptive starter for 2019.

The team most likely approached him before 2019 because it was hugely to their benefit to do so (even if he turned out to be a merely decent starter, it would have been an UDFA ganga and resume bullet point for Spielman). Unless the cap situation made that negotiation impossible.

I read it and I have provided the link here previously. His agent came off like he was bitter or upset about something.
Post #: 1456
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 12:30:31 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, you go look it up.

I read it and I have provided the link here previously. His agent came off like he was bitter or upset about something.

I believe you.

I was simply working through the topic to say, with or without re-posting the link, it only makes sense anyway.
Post #: 1457
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 12:52:38 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

I'm not sure it would have mattered if we had signed Harris prior to 2019. He would have just been back at the well a couple years later as one of the top safeties in the league demanding appropriate pay, just like Thielen did. Sure, it would have been nice to avoid this years cap hit, but if he had signed a "friendly" deal, it would have been redone if he follows last year up with another excellent year, and last year was an excellent year for him.

I say let him play this year out and if he's just as good, he will demand huge bucks next year and you just have to let him or Smith walk. You simply cannot have $25 million tied up in your two safety spots. Many of us liked Harris when we got him as a UDFA, thought there was solid potential there, but I'm not sure anyone had him picked out to be one of the top safeties in the NFL four years later. Lets hope one of the twenty young guys we have signed up this year is another hidden gem!
Post #: 1458
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 1:55:00 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

quote:

I'm not sure it would have mattered if we had signed Harris prior to 2019. He would have just been back at the well a couple years later as one of the top safeties in the league demanding appropriate pay, just like Thielen did. Sure, it would have been nice to avoid this years cap hit, but if he had signed a "friendly" deal, it would have been redone if he follows last year up with another excellent year, and last year was an excellent year for him.

I say let him play this year out and if he's just as good, he will demand huge bucks next year and you just have to let him or Smith walk. You simply cannot have $25 million tied up in your two safety spots. Many of us liked Harris when we got him as a UDFA, thought there was solid potential there, but I'm not sure anyone had him picked out to be one of the top safeties in the NFL four years later. Lets hope one of the twenty young guys we have signed up this year is another hidden gem!

IMO - age makes the Thielen and Harris situations different. Theilen was younger when he signed his contract and so we accommodated him on his raise request. And it was in the form of an extension. The Vikings would likely have been much less likely to give him a raise/extension at age 30 (or pick an age for Harris).

I agree - let Harris play out his tag and test the market next year. Draft safety early and maybe often, we might have to replace both pretty soon.

< Message edited by Pager -- 6/8/2020 2:01:08 PM >

Post #: 1459
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 3:16:53 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

IMO - age makes the Thielen and Harris situations different. Theilen was younger when he signed his contract and so we accommodated him on his raise request. And it was in the form of an extension. The Vikings would likely have been much less likely to give him a raise/extension at age 30 (or pick an age for Harris).

I agree - let Harris play out his tag and test the market next year. Draft safety early and maybe often, we might have to replace both pretty soon.

Thielen was 28 years 8 months when he signed his 4 year extension keeping him (at the time) for the next 6 seasons through 2024.

Harris is currently 28 years 8 months old.

The main reason I would balk on Harris is his body of work is relatively short.
Post #: 1460
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 3:31:29 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thielen was 28 years 8 months when he signed his 4 year extension keeping him (at the time) for the next 6 seasons through 2024.

Yep, Harris is a solid football player and there's no doubt about that, it's simply what a team can afford to do or not, that simple. One of the two will not be on the Vikings in 2021, Smith or Harris, but it's been great having them together for the past couple years!
Post #: 1461
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 4:37:19 PM   
Funkytown

quote:

Welcome to site, please keep posting!

I don't either. Contrast to Drew Brees comments and the spat they created between him and Michael Thomas. Ragnarok is a little polarizing especially on Cousins. Not unlike some of your poster at your site; I'm a often visitor/lurker. Nice job you've done over there. Spence is probably my favorite poster - hahah.

Oh, wow! Thanks! I really appreciate that. Glad you enjoy the place. I put in a lot of work, and that's always my #1 goal: having a Vikings community all can enjoy. So, that truly means a lot.

I'll do my best to continue to post here. As you've probably gathered, I keep myself pretty busy, but I'm sure I can find time a couple times a week to pop over here for a bit. As I said earlier, this seems like a great, old-school community. I wish I had found it several years ago!

Oh, Spence. LOL. Wow... I take a LOT of heat over him, lol, but yeah, he's truly one of a kind, huh? I'm an optimist too, but he puts me to shame! Some of the stuff he comes up with... I just have to shake my head.

Post #: 1462
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 5:02:42 PM   
Funkytown

From Schefter:

Pro-Bowl RB Dalvin Cook no longer will participate in any team-related activities until and unless he receives a “reasonable” deal, a source said Monday.

“He’s out,” a source told ESPN. “Without a reasonable extension, he will not be showing up for camp or beyond.”
Post #: 1463
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 7:37:58 PM   
Tom Sykes

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP
1h
Thoughts on Cook & #Vikings: He's not looking for all that close to McCaffrey $$. If they offered what D. Johnson got Sept. 2018 - 3/39 - he'd likely say yes. Sure, that's a lot of $$, but that offense goes as he goes, IMO. Time left to reach a deal. But Vikes will have to budge.
Post #: 1464
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 7:39:09 PM   
Tom Sykes

Ben Goessling
@GoesslingStrib
·2h
Sources have said Cook has been participating in the Vikings' virtual offseason program to this point. The Vikings ordinarily finish many contract extensions (Griffen, Rhodes, Joseph, Diggs) at the eve of training camp, which remains the date to watch here, by my lights.
Post #: 1465
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 8:25:17 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thielen signed his first contract extension in 2017 after joining the Vikes in 2013. Started 10 games in 2016. I cant find the date when the contract was signed but let's say Thielen was roughly 26 8 months. Got his raise/extension two years later.

Harris would have signed his first contract (in our hypothetical) at the beginning of 2019 after joining the Vikes in 2015. Started 9 games in 2018. Harris would have been roughly 27 years 8 months. Assuming a similar over-performance and request for raise/extension in the same time frame Harris would be 29 years 8 months for the raise/extension. It's only 1 year/season difference but football years are dog years (and more exaggerated/accelerated as a player approaches 30).

I don't have access to see Thielen's PFF score in 2016 but had 900+ yards after having 150 yards the year before. I think Harris' was in the 90s (if I remember right) in 2018.

It's interesting and a hypothetical. Lot of factors play into contract decisions. Cap space, depth chart, confidence in drafting and developing players at positions.

< Message edited by Pager -- 6/8/2020 8:45:32 PM >

Post #: 1466
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 8:27:23 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkytown

quote:

I don't either. Contrast to Drew Brees comments and the spat they created between him and Michael Thomas. Ragnarok is a little polarizing especially on Cousins. Not unlike some of your poster at your site; I'm a often visitor/lurker. Nice job you've done over there. Spence is probably my favorite poster - hahah.

Oh, wow! Thanks! I really appreciate that. Glad you enjoy the place. I put in a lot of work, and that's always my #1 goal: having a Vikings community all can enjoy. So, that truly means a lot.

I'll do my best to continue to post here. As you've probably gathered, I keep myself pretty busy, but I'm sure I can find time a couple times a week to pop over here for a bit. As I said earlier, this seems like a great, old-school community. I wish I had found it several years ago!

Oh, Spence. LOL. Wow... I take a LOT of heat over him, lol, but yeah, he's truly one of a kind, huh? I'm an optimist too, but he puts me to shame! Some of the stuff he comes up with... I just have to shake my head.

Spence is on one far end of the spectrum. You've got way more on the far end of the other spectrum.

His posts are pretty amusing - gets all the haters riled up. He's gotta be just poking the hornets' nest right?

Post #: 1467
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 8:31:07 PM   
Pager

quote:

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP
1h
Thoughts on Cook & #Vikings: He's not looking for all that close to McCaffrey $$. If they offered what D. Johnson got Sept. 2018 - 3/39 - he'd likely say yes. Sure, that's a lot of $$, but that offense goes as he goes, IMO. Time left to reach a deal. But Vikes will have to budge.

Interesting - 3/39? If it's a little more incentive based and lower guarantees, I think I'd be ok with it. Only 3 years. Do not want to see a 4 or 5 yr deal.

Definately need to cut Reiff. That's what, 23M in cap savings this year and next?

Thanks for posting these Twitter feeds. Makes me think of Bruce. Anyone have an update? I think ICU stay/ventilation average for COVID was 10-14 days. I feel like we gotta be close to that.

Post #: 1468
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 8:47:08 PM   
Pager

Doesn't the new CBA heavily penalize players for holding out?

Post #: 1469
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 9:09:44 PM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP
1h

Interesting - 3/39? If it's a little more incentive based and lower guarantees, I think I'd be ok with it. Only 3 years. Do not want to see a 4 or 5 yr deal.

Definately need to cut Reiff. That's what, 23M in cap savings this year and next?

Thanks for posting these Twitter feeds. Makes me think of Bruce. Anyone have an update? I think ICU stay/ventilation average for COVID was 10-14 days. I feel like we gotta be close to that.

No recent update on Bruce. This would be day 21 on the ventilator.
Post #: 1470
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 9:33:38 PM   
David F.

If Cook sits out we need Mattison to be our Austin Ekeler. It will probably work out. Then Cook can come back in the middle of the season fresh as a daisy and we can roll with the duo into the playoffs. And we draft another RB in the mid rounds in the next offseason and repeat.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1471
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 10:03:08 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkytown

quote:

What site?
Post #: 1472
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 10:22:23 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP
1h

Yeah posting quotes made me think of Bruce also. Hopefully we have him back soon.

I agree about the contract parameters. If we do go 4-5 years, I sure hope guarantees are in the first 3 years.

Another serious Cook injury this year and it could turn into a cap debacle real fast.
Post #: 1473
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 11:56:31 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP
1h

He's not worth 3-39 unless the first two years are for $20 million and the third year is fully unguaranteed.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1474
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/8/2020 11:58:00 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Doesn't the new CBA heavily penalize players for holding out?

It's my understanding that the fines that would always be forgiven in the past can't be forgiven now.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1475
Page:   <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode