Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 2:00:16 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP
1h
Thoughts on Cook & #Vikings: He's not looking for all that close to McCaffrey $$. If they offered what D. Johnson got Sept. 2018 - 3/39 - he'd likely say yes. Sure, that's a lot of $$, but that offense goes as he goes, IMO. Time left to reach a deal. But Vikes will have to budge.

He's not worth 3-39 unless the first two years are for $20 million and the third year is fully unguaranteed.

imo extending cook would be a mistake at almost any price...he's injury prone and fades at the end of the season...his body just can't handle the punishment...he's going to end up having a very short career...if we extend him three years he'll hold out the third...with all of those picks this year spielman was a fool not to draft a rb in the 4th....

trade cook to a team willing to extend him for one of their rb's and a 2nd/3rd rounder and move on without having to deal with the bullship this season....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1476
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 8:39:10 AM   
ronhextall

I would shop him. He is hurt all the time and its very possible the salary cap could go down.

Few teams pay big money for a running back and look back and are glad they did.
Post #: 1477
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 8:45:12 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

I would shop him. He is hurt all the time and its very possible the salary cap could go down.

He is more valuable than Diggs. Could we get more than what we got for him?
Post #: 1478
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 9:18:27 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP
1h
Thoughts on Cook & #Vikings: He's not looking for all that close to McCaffrey $$. If they offered what D. Johnson got Sept. 2018 - 3/39 - he'd likely say yes. Sure, that's a lot of $$, but that offense goes as he goes, IMO. Time left to reach a deal. But Vikes will have to budge.

He's not worth 3-39 unless the first two years are for $20 million and the third year is fully unguaranteed.

imo extending cook would be a mistake at almost any price...he's injury prone and fades at the end of the season...his body just can't handle the punishment...he's going to end up having a very short career...if we extend him three years he'll hold out the third...with all of those picks this year spielman was a fool not to draft a rb in the 4th....

trade cook to a team willing to extend him for one of their rb's and a 2nd/3rd rounder and move on without having to deal with the bullship this season....

Re holding out his third year, I think he would as well.

Mute point, he's not going to accept a three-year deal.
Post #: 1479
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 9:59:32 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Doubt it. My guess is most teams value WRs over RBs.
Post #: 1480
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 10:10:24 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Pros
Run-heavy scheme works best with Cook
Dynamic, young player
Good pass catcher

Cons
Mattison has done well
We don't have a lot of cap
RB not a glam position anymore
The cap could decrease substantially for maybe one NFL season, but they should be able to address this league-wide
Injury history, although there is no way to predict if he will get injured again

What does "reasonable" mean to each party?
Post #: 1481
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 11:16:53 AM   
ratoppenheimer

2019 - cook has had one decent year and completely faded over the last half of that season...do people really think cook is worth risking big money on a tight budget?...i'd trade cook for the 3rd-4th rated rb selected in this year's draft - then we'd have a good rb cheap for the next 3-4 seasons...that guy, mattison and boone....

Chad Graff@ChadGraff
Dalvin Cook isn’t asking for Zeke/McCaffrey money but something more like David Johnson: ~$13M.

Vikings offering more like Melvin Gordon ($8M per year) money.

Post #: 1482
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 11:23:42 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP
1h

Spielman wasn't a fool. All the picks with the possible exception of Wonnum were rock solid through the 4th and who was available in the 5th? Mattison who many ripped as a horrible pick IMO is a fully capable starting NFL RB.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1483
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 12:06:39 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP
1h

Spielman wasn't a fool. All the picks with the possible exception of Wonnum were rock solid through the 4th and who was available in the 5th? Mattison who many ripped as a horrible pick IMO is a fully capable starting NFL RB.

i loved the mattison pick and i'd go with him as a starter...i still would have picked a rb in the draft this year as a backup plan...and that's another thing, cook repeatedly lead everyone to believe that he wasn't going to hold out - he didn't want spielman to pick a rb in the draft, now he's sucker-punching spielman....

if cook had played like he did in the first half of the 2019 season for all of the three seasons he's been with us i'd pay him, but he hasn't even come close to that....

Post #: 1484
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 12:11:03 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP
1h

Mattison is a 3rd round pick.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1485
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 12:15:59 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

No to shopping. We need him this year. It's his most valuable year. I don't care if he sits out the first half of the season. We need him for the second half (healthy and fresh) and the playoffs.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1486
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 12:29:36 PM   
Funkytown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Spence is on one far end of the spectrum. You've got way more on the far end of the other spectrum.

His posts are pretty amusing - gets all the haters riled up. He's gotta be just poking the hornets' nest right?

Oh yeah, we definitely have way more pessimists, or what they prefer to be called ... "realists". Very few optimists these days, but I guess Spence takes it to another level and makes up for it!

I sort of wish he was poking the hornets' nest. Then I could understand some of it a bit more, lol, but honestly, I think he's being pretty genuine. Truthfully, I just think he doesn't understand the game on the level that most of us do. I think he's more of a casual fan. And then he reads all of the positive things I post, and lets his excitement get the best of him.

We have an Off Topic section (hidden to non-members so people don't join for the wrong reasons), and he has a lot of other interests (movies, music, writing, etc.). Again, I just don't think he understands the game the way typical message board members do. Oh well! His threads (both football and Off Topic) definitely add to the board, so...

quote:

ORIGINAL: hagar

What site?

I don't want to be rude and make it seem like I'm promoting my own community - that's definitely not why I'm here - but since Pager kinda let the cat outta the bag, lol...

Here is a link.
Post #: 1487
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 12:30:43 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

No to shopping. We need him this year. It's his most valuable year. I don't care if he sits out the first half of the season. We need him for the second half (healthy and fresh) and the playoffs.

I agree.

Does anybody really put Mattison in Cook's class? Why would you think we could dump Cook in a trade and carry on, as is, with Mattison/Boone/Abdullah? Because the team played well in a few instances without Cook?

It's true, most RBs are replaceable and interchangeable ... that's certainly true for Mattison and all the other 2nd-3rd tier backs, not Cook. Or McCaffrey, Elliott, Barkley, Kamara, Jacobs, Chubb. idk maybe one or two more. Mattison has great value to us because he is really good ... as a back-up to our upper echelon back. Mattison is effective and well rounded, plus he's a little more rugged and much less of an injury risk than Cook. He's no premium talent though.

It's a different offense with Cook, a more potent, more explosive offense – more pressure on the defense which really benefits your play action / passing game. Defenses are playing your offense straight up with Mattison ... defenses prefer a healthy Mattison over a healthy Cook every minute of the day, no question.

We simply can NOT dump Diggs AND Cook and hope to generate the offense we had the last two years (which even with those two didn't get 'er done).

Our only prayer for being a better offense in 2020 is a slight improvement in the OL (we have done nothing this off season to create an expectation of great improvement), a healthier Thielen, a Cook that gives us another 14 games, and hoping your rookie WR Jefferson beats all odds and is a decent starter in his first year. (the defense will have to be better against +.500 teams as well to help the offense)

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that giving Cook a big contract is a good or even necessary thing in itself. I agree putting a premium on RBs is risky and not good long-term planning... just like I would say it's ridiculous to put all your DB cap space into the S position. However, after trading Diggs and NOT putting more resources into the OL and not drafting or trading for another decent RB to preempt a holdout by Cook ... we are kind of stuck for this coming season [with Cook].

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 6/9/2020 12:32:15 PM >
Post #: 1488
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 12:40:46 PM   
David F.

Pat Kirwan
@PatKirwan_NFL
·
5h
Dalvin Cook will come in to camp. If he doesn’t as a player with less than 4 yrs he will lose a year towards UFA and be restricted in 2021 also there is a 50k a day fine. His salary is 1.3 mil and his fines could reach 1.5 mil. He has no leverage.

Post #: 1489
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 1:03:03 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah. I don't want to trade him. We can't get rid of another proven playmaker.
Post #: 1490
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 1:03:42 PM   
Funkytown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Pros
Run-heavy scheme works best with Cook
Dynamic, young player
Good pass catcher

Cons
Mattison has done well
We don't have a lot of cap
RB not a glam position anymore
The cap could decrease substantially for maybe one NFL season, but they should be able to address this league-wide
Injury history, although there is no way to predict if he will get injured again

What does "reasonable" mean to each party?

From Cronin:

quote:

Negotiations have been taking place for a while. According to multiple league sources, the Vikings' initial offer was below $10 million per year, which was not deemed "reasonable" by Cook and his representatives.
Post #: 1491
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 1:05:24 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

You don't dump a Top 5(at his position) guy and keep overpaid guys like Reiff and Barr.
Post #: 1492
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 1:25:22 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree.

Does anybody really put Mattison in Cook's class? Why would you think we could dump Cook in a trade and carry on, as is, with Mattison/Boone/Abdullah? Because the team played well in a few instances without Cook?

It's true, most RBs are replaceable and interchangeable ... that's certainly true for Mattison and all the other 2nd-3rd tier backs, not Cook. Or McCaffrey, Elliott, Barkley, Kamara, Jacobs, Chubb. idk maybe one or two more. Mattison has great value to us because he is really good ... as a back-up to our upper echelon back. Mattison is effective and well rounded, plus he's a little more rugged and much less of an injury risk than Cook. He's no premium talent though.

It's a different offense with Cook, a more potent, more explosive offense – more pressure on the defense which really benefits your play action / passing game. Defenses are playing your offense straight up with Mattison ... defenses prefer a healthy Mattison over a healthy Cook every minute of the day, no question.

We simply can NOT dump Diggs AND Cook and hope to generate the offense we had the last two years (which even with those two didn't get 'er done).

Our only prayer for being a better offense in 2020 is a slight improvement in the OL (we have done nothing this off season to create an expectation of great improvement), a healthier Thielen, a Cook that gives us another 14 games, and hoping your rookie WR Jefferson beats all odds and is a decent starter in his first year. (the defense will have to be better against +.500 teams as well to help the offense)

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that giving Cook a big contract is a good or even necessary thing in itself. I agree putting a premium on RBs is risky and not good long-term planning... just like I would say it's ridiculous to put all your DB cap space into the S position. However, after trading Diggs and NOT putting more resources into the OL and not drafting or trading for another decent RB to preempt a holdout by Cook ... we are kind of stuck for this coming season [with Cook].

i'm not good with giving cook a big contract extension...but i'm cool with letting things play out and having a fresh and lively cook for the playoff run at the end of the season...he'll be playing for a big contract with us or another team in 2021....

don't give him away and don't sign him big...we'll draft a new rb next draft....

Post #: 1493
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 4:31:42 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree.

i'm not good with giving cook a big contract extension...but i'm cool with letting things play out and having a fresh and lively cook for the playoff run at the end of the season...he'll be playing for a big contract with us or another team in 2021....

don't give him away and don't sign him big...we'll draft a new rb next draft....

I would give him 8-10 starting next year with signing bonus reducing it. It might actually help us cap wise. I would love if they made it incentive based.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1494
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 5:51:33 PM   
Burns

I don't think giving a running back 16 mil a year is a smart move for the Vikings right now. I would trade for capital and move on. He does not give me a good feeling of having a long productive career ahead of him. While his impact on the offense is favorable, is it a good business decision to invest long term for that kind of dough? I would back away from that table. I really like Cook as a player and a person, but that money could be spent better elsewhere.

It hurt's but I might have to quote Brad H: "running backs are a dime a dozen".

Warrior Sapper 12B Combat Engineer
Post #: 1495
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 7:41:45 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Darren Wolfson
@DWolfsonKSTP
1h

Mattison is a 3rd round pick.

I know that. I was just stating that a strong majority of people disliked the pick of Mattison. I was responding to the Idea that Spielman was a fool for not drafting a RB in the fourth round of this years draft.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1496
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 7:55:05 PM   
hagar

quote:

ORIGINAL: Funkytown

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Spence is on one far end of the spectrum. You've got way more on the far end of the other spectrum.

His posts are pretty amusing - gets all the haters riled up. He's gotta be just poking the hornets' nest right?

Oh yeah, we definitely have way more pessimists, or what they prefer to be called ... "realists". Very few optimists these days, but I guess Spence takes it to another level and makes up for it!

I sort of wish he was poking the hornets' nest. Then I could understand some of it a bit more, lol, but honestly, I think he's being pretty genuine. Truthfully, I just think he doesn't understand the game on the level that most of us do. I think he's more of a casual fan. And then he reads all of the positive things I post, and lets his excitement get the best of him.

We have an Off Topic section (hidden to non-members so people don't join for the wrong reasons), and he has a lot of other interests (movies, music, writing, etc.). Again, I just don't think he understands the game the way typical message board members do. Oh well! His threads (both football and Off Topic) definitely add to the board, so...

quote:

ORIGINAL: hagar

What site?

I don't want to be rude and make it seem like I'm promoting my own community - that's definitely not why I'm here - but since Pager kinda let the cat outta the bag, lol...

Here is a link.

Thanks
Post #: 1497
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 8:13:18 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree.

It is my understanding that if he doesn't report for the start of training camp he automatically becomes a restricted Free Agent for 2021 and the Vikings can keep him on the cheap.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1498
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 8:15:20 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Burns

I don't think giving a running back 16 mil a year is a smart move for the Vikings right now. I would trade for capital and move on. He does not give me a good feeling of having a long productive career ahead of him. While his impact on the offense is favorable, is it a good business decision to invest long term for that kind of dough? I would back away from that table. I really like Cook as a player and a person, but that money could be spent better elsewhere.

It hurt's but I might have to quote Brad H: "running backs are a dime a dozen".

All reports are the Vikings have offered something under $10 million a year. He might sign for something in the 10-12 range. I don't think he is demanding $16 Million.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1499
RE: General Vikes Talk - 6/9/2020 9:46:58 PM   
Burns

Just reading some of what is being reported on his demands:

https://fansided.com/2020/06/08/dalvin-cooks-reported-contract-demands-absurd/

Warrior Sapper 12B Combat Engineer
Post #: 1500
Page:   <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  58 59 [60] 61 62   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode