Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/2/2020 10:08:04 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I'm sure a lot of the time in OTA's is devoted to conditioning, stretching, etc. which the players can do on their own perhaps with some assistance of their agents who might be stepping in to see they have what they need. The OTA's are mostly non-contact. I did see where some of the receivers worked out with Thielen. I wonder if more of that is going on. In the end, contact practicing is irreplaceable and with only two pre-season games they will be even more critical than ever.

My hunch is that there are some advantages, but mostly disadvantages for the new players. The veterans are probably pleased with the extra time to be home this off-season.

The team will have the players on significant regiments, both physical and mental homework. Trainers design offseason workouts schedules for the players and nothing would have changed there as they adjust for getting game ready. Position coaches assign the mental homework. Younger players are probably more comfortable with technology learning.

No doubt more difficult - but we'll see how it plays out.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1926
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/2/2020 11:02:14 AM   
bohumm

I think strength is/was a big concern for Cleveland as it is for any rookie OL. It's a different thing to be on site all day at the team's facilities under the immediate direction of a trainer as opposed to trying to access the equipment, spotting, and supervision elsewhere during a pandemic. I would imagine strengthening and conditioning take a hit. It's also much easier to correct misunderstandings about scheme and responsibilities in person, but not insurmountable via technology. The focus on that and time spent with nothing else to do might even help broadly in learning. But translating that to the field is totally absent, as is any detailed technique work.

I almost always agree with Pager, but I see no way to cut Reiff this season as we have no idea what we have in Cleveland. He may also help (or not) in developing Cleveland. We've also done our maneuvering with his salary in place, and though there's flexibility and maybe other moves to be gained, I don't think the benefits of dumping this year's salary at this point has the upside to justify the risk. I know he's average to above average, but that may far exceed what we get from anyone else. Next year is a whole different story.
Post #: 1927
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/2/2020 11:36:27 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

I think strength is/was a big concern for Cleveland as it is for any rookie OL. It's a different thing to be on site all day at the team's facilities under the immediate direction of a trainer as opposed to trying to access the equipment, spotting, and supervision elsewhere during a pandemic. I would imagine strengthening and conditioning take a hit. It's also much easier to correct misunderstandings about scheme and responsibilities in person, but not insurmountable via technology. The focus on that and time spent with nothing else to do might even help broadly in learning. But translating that to the field is totally absent, as is any detailed technique work.

I almost always agree with Pager, but I see no way to cut Reiff this season as we have no idea what we have in Cleveland. He may also help (or not) in developing Cleveland. We've also done our maneuvering with his salary in place, and though there's flexibility and maybe other moves to be gained, I don't think the benefits of dumping this year's salary at this point has the upside to justify the risk. I know he's average to above average, but that may far exceed what we get from anyone else. Next year is a whole different story.

All good points Bob.

I always go back to the Brad Badger effect when speaking of addressing LT going into a/any season.

Obviously it would be great to have a Anthony Munoz/Gary Zimmerman type at the position for a decade, but having to constantly fill the position with perhaps serviceable talent as opposed to any long term answer can be catastrophic at such an important position. Hence handing the job to a veteran like Brad Badger on a very pass happy team like the Randy Moss Vikings were can be a recipe for disaster. We got rid of Todd Steussie and struggled immediately to fill even his somewhat mediocre/ but safe production. Gotta keep Reiff until we have more of an inkling on Cleveland who could very well be the guy, but I find it pretty risky throwing him out there. JMO
  Post #: 1928
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/2/2020 11:39:08 AM   
We still have aspirations that we can compete don’t we?

Hell if not, throw Cleveland right the fire.
  Post #: 1929
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/2/2020 1:19:29 PM   
Zoilo

Have the Vikings announced any pre-season games yet?

Z
Post #: 1930
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/2/2020 1:26:41 PM   
Pager

quote:

Hopefully I can get you on my side on this one

It's not just about Ezra. We literally have the deepest Tackle squad that I can remember. Udoh/ONeill/Hill/Collins have all been in the system/org multiple years and had reps at Tackle. To be honest I haven't noticed a drop off when Hill is in on the left side for Reiff. And Hill grades out better as a LT than a RT.

Dozier can even be used as a Tackle in a pinch - if I remember right.

Reiff is not above average. He is average and at an age that we could see decline.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1931
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/2/2020 2:05:21 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zoilo

Looks like the two preseason games they play will be vs the Bengals and Browns- both on the road. That should give them more time for practice.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1932
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/2/2020 7:47:22 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm not happy to see this:

The NFL is reportedly going to reduce roster sizes for training camp to 75 or 80 players. That could be bad news for #Vikings UDFAs and other end-of-roster types:

(Will Ragatz on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1933
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/3/2020 5:48:47 AM   
Bruce Johnson

They may counter that with increasing the size of the practice squad. Of course, if players get Covid then they will need more players to fill in.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/report-nfl-training-camp-rosters-to-be-75-or-80-players/ar-BB16gVIL

Post #: 1934
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/3/2020 7:19:01 AM   
Bruce Johnson

The writer speaks for me on this issue. I'm ok with the expansion of the practice squad, but I don't want to see the reduction in the size of the training camp. Nevertheless, it's true that training camp used to begin with 80 players, but there are a number of UFA's and other players who have made the commitment to prepare for this training camp and there are just too many good players who have developed from the bottom of the roster. Teams that are successful in developing them, like the Vikings, have a leg up in managing the salary cap. Anyway, I'm a bottom of the roster guy. I root for young players who show promise to make the team or the practice squad.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2020/general-news/nfl-considering-smaller-rosters-for-2020-preseason

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 7/3/2020 7:34:13 AM >

Post #: 1935
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/3/2020 8:41:57 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Here's another idea that has been tossed out for training camp. I'm skeptical that it will happen. The coaches will want to be with all of their players.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/03/teams-should-consider-splitting-squads-for-training-camp/

Post #: 1936
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/3/2020 12:58:12 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

Hopefully I can get you on my side on this one

It's not just about Ezra. We literally have the deepest Tackle squad that I can remember. Udoh/ONeill/Hill/Collins have all been in the system/org multiple years and had reps at Tackle. To be honest I haven't noticed a drop off when Hill is in on the left side for Reiff. And Hill grades out better as a LT than a RT.

Dozier can even be used as a Tackle in a pinch - if I remember right.

Reiff is not above average. He is average and at an age that we could see decline.

Average Starting NFL LT's don't grow on trees. You are acting like they do.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1937
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/3/2020 1:49:50 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The players are saying let's skip the exhibition games altogether. Interesting idea, but I don't think it will happen. I could be wrong, though.

https://www.nfl.com/_amp/nflpa-votes-to-play-no-preseason-games-ahead-of-2020-season?campaign=Twitter_atn&__twitter_impression=true

Post #: 1938
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/3/2020 2:19:20 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

The NFL is reportedly going to reduce roster sizes for training camp to 75 or 80 players. That could be bad news for #Vikings UDFAs and other end-of-roster types:

(Will Ragatz on Twitter)

it's an extraordinary situation...i just looked over our roster and we've only got 88 players on the team right now...i went through the list of players and i think that we could drop 10-12 without knowing the difference....

imo the league should allow 90 to start camp and then in a week trim it down to 75 - let's get a look at the players that are already on the bubble and then decide who to keep...i would like it if the league allowed teams to protect more players from the waiver wire...maybe 55 players on the team with another 15 on the practice squad - and 7 of those are paid full rookie minimum and protected from poaching....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1939
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/3/2020 2:40:21 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Vikings Rumors: Entire 2020 preseason could be eliminated

According to earlier reports, the NFL is looking to shorten the preseason to two weeks, playing only the Week 2 and Week 3 contests. However, things may be a little different if the NFLPA gets its way.

According to an article shared on NFL.com, the NFLPA has already voted on a motion to completely eliminate all of the preseason contests to give teams more time in training camp and to make their cuts.

via twitter:

Around The NFL@AroundTheNFL
𝗗𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗟𝗢𝗣𝗜𝗡𝗚: NFLPA membership votes to play no preseason games ahead of 2020 regular season

https://nfl.com/news/nflpa-votes-to-play-no-preseason-games-ahead-of-2020-season?campaign=Twitter_atn

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1940
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/3/2020 6:24:24 PM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

(Will Ragatz on Twitter)

it's an extraordinary situation...i just looked over our roster and we've only got 88 players on the team right now...i went through the list of players and i think that we could drop 10-12 without knowing the difference....

imo the league should allow 90 to start camp and then in a week trim it down to 75 - let's get a look at the players that are already on the bubble and then decide who to keep...i would like it if the league allowed teams to protect more players from the waiver wire...maybe 55 players on the team with another 15 on the practice squad - and 7 of those are paid full rookie minimum and protected from poaching....

Love the idea of protecting a certain # of players on the PS.
Post #: 1941
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/3/2020 8:08:26 PM   
Bruce Johnson

We all are interested in whether this player will contribute to the Vikings right away.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/72-days-vikings-football-countdown-ezra-cleveland-2020

Post #: 1942
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/3/2020 10:26:36 PM   
thebigo

quote:

(Will Ragatz on Twitter)

Is this strictly a pandemic response? If so, I can see it. If not, it doesn't seem like something that should introduced overnight, as it can affect teams differently based on their approach to personnel management.
Post #: 1943
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/3/2020 10:36:27 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zoilo

Looks like the two preseason games they play will be vs the Bengals and Browns- both on the road. That should give them more time for practice.

Hmmm... that's interesting, I seem to remeber paying for 2 preseason games with my season ticket package. I'll have to check that out.
Post #: 1944
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/4/2020 8:32:10 AM   
kgdabom

Draft Pick signing update. Just for Bigo as he was clamoring for more. I could be off by a player or two.

NFL 78 of 240
Vikings 0 of 15

NFL Teams who have signed a draft pick. I could be off by a team or two
17 who have signed a draft pick
15 who haven't.
Draft pick signing still appears to be optional.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1945
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/4/2020 8:40:32 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Fewest Missed Tackles by teams in 2019:

1. Vikings - 85
2. Patriots - 93
3. Ravens - 99
4. Saints - 100

(PFF)

Post #: 1946
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/4/2020 8:49:56 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Fewest Missed Tackles by teams in 2019:

1. Vikings - 85
2. Patriots - 93
3. Ravens - 99
4. Saints - 100

(PFF)

very impressive. Only 5 missed tackles per game.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1947
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/4/2020 9:04:21 AM   
Bill Jandro

Former Vikings cornerback in contract limbo with the Bengals

https://thevikingage.com/2020/07/03/minnesota-vikings-trae-waynes-contract-bengals/

Waynes has yet to sign due to NFL rules about physicals ect. Idk if any other FA's are in the same boat or it's just the Bengals being cheap.

Edit: this is the source and better link

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/07/02/coronavirus-trae-waynes-free-agent-contracts?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 7/4/2020 9:13:09 AM >

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1948
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/4/2020 9:08:20 AM   
Bill Jandro

This blurb about physicals is why many rookies haven't been signed

Waynes moved his wife and two kids to Cincinnati in May to get them settled and, he figured, to finalize the deal he’d agreed to in March. The Bengals were among the teams that weren’t allowing third-party physicals—more than half the NFL’s 32 teams aren’t allowing rookies to take those, which is why so many draft picks remain unsigned—and the logical workaround there was to get into town and see the team doctor off-site.

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 7/4/2020 9:09:47 AM >

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1949
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/4/2020 10:21:32 AM   
Bruce Johnson

This is a tweet from Tom Pelissero with the timeline the players association is advocating before the season begins.

With the NFLPA still opposed to preseason games, one possible camp schedule the union has discussed:

3 days: medical/equipment
21 days: strength & conditioning
10 days: unpadded practice
14 days: practice (10 max/8 padded)

Then it’d be straight into Week 1.

Post #: 1950
Page:   <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  76 77 [78] 79 80   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode