Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/5/2020 9:40:01 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

Former Vikings cornerback in contract limbo with the Bengals

https://thevikingage.com/2020/07/03/minnesota-vikings-trae-waynes-contract-bengals/

Waynes has yet to sign due to NFL rules about physicals ect. Idk if any other FA's are in the same boat or it's just the Bengals being cheap.

Edit: this is the source and better link

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/07/02/coronavirus-trae-waynes-free-agent-contracts?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=

I hope this does not affect our draft pick compensation for him.

If the contract is voided we get no compensation for Waynes.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1976
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 5:38:17 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

https://thevikingage.com/2020/07/03/minnesota-vikings-trae-waynes-contract-bengals/

Waynes has yet to sign due to NFL rules about physicals ect. Idk if any other FA's are in the same boat or it's just the Bengals being cheap.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/07/02/coronavirus-trae-waynes-free-agent-contracts?utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=

I'm sure some other team would sign him so I don't think that is an issue. Unless he has to sign for a vet minimum or something which I;m sure he'd garner better money than that but certainly won't get what the Bengals offered.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1977
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 5:43:56 AM   
Bruce Johnson

If he's in good physical condition (Waynes) I believe that the Bengals are obligated to keep their agreement. I see a lawsuit if they don't.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1978
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 9:01:27 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Interesting topic for me and some of the names were surprising to me.

https://thevikingage.com/2020/07/06/5-fastest-minnesota-vikings-2020/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1979
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 10:57:05 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Hopefully Jefferson being the fastest player on the team means he can be a deep threat for Cousins to throw to. I imagine his height will help him haul in those longer passes, as well.

Post #: 1980
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 11:01:04 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm sure some other team would sign him so I don't think that is an issue. Unless he has to sign for a vet minimum or something which I;m sure he'd garner better money than that but certainly won't get what the Bengals offered.

I'd put the odds at 99% that if he signs with another team the compensation would be less than the 3rd round pick we are scheduled to receive as of now.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1981
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 11:15:19 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Hopefully Jefferson being the fastest player on the team means he can be a deep threat for Cousins to throw to. I imagine his height will help him haul in those longer passes, as well.

Those aren't the 5 fastest players on the team. Those are the 5 who ran the 40 at the fastest reported time. Dalvin Cook had IIRC the fastest runs in the NFL on multiple weeks. I would say Dalvin is the fastest player on the team.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1982
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 11:21:28 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

If he's in good physical condition (Waynes) I believe that the Bengals are obligated to keep their agreement. I see a lawsuit if they don't.

that article quotes the bengal's gm saying that they have every intention of signing him...i'm sure that alexander has the same issues with Cincinnati....

< Message edited by ratoppenheimer -- 7/6/2020 11:57:36 AM >

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1983
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 11:26:54 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

This is a tweet from Tom Pelissero with the timeline the players association is advocating before the season begins.

With the NFLPA still opposed to preseason games, one possible camp schedule the union has discussed:

3 days: medical/equipment
21 days: strength & conditioning
10 days: unpadded practice
14 days: practice (10 max/8 padded)

Then it’d be straight into Week 1.

a total of eight practices with pads? and no preseason games...these guys are going to be out of gas by the second quarter....

The next update is the 20-21 season will be no blocking, no tackle, passing only offenses, with flag tackles.

Flag belts will encircle the player and have at least 5 flags around all players midsection.

The football will be scrubbed with hand sanitizer, by the designated football scrubbing official, who will signal when ready to play between snaps.

I truly believe Sendejo had it right. Make Football Violent Again. If they truly want to make it more safe they would go to flag football. It's hypocrisy playing tackle football, but requiring gentle tackling.

Football is still incredibly violent. The size and athleticism of the players is a double-edged sword in that they generate unbelievable force with the speed that even the big players reach. The 'nasty' players from the 70's would get obliterated by today's players. The only way to bring back what some describe 'old school football' or 'violent football' would be to only allow players of average speed and size. Then they could all collide with each other all season long and casual fans could celebrate the return of 'real football'.

It truly is Hypocrisy to say we want all you massive, big, strong and fast guys to play tackle football and expect them to do it GENTLY. It's ridiculous. If they truly want to make it safe they eliminate all collisions from the game, Guess what? If you do that you haven't got a game. I've seen players get injured by trying to tackle their opponent too gently.

No one is asking for gentle football nor is football anything even close to gentle. It's the opposite. It's incredibly violent. The athleticism, speed, and size of the players has gotten to a point where, at a minimum, some adjustments need to be made. For example, allowing hits on defenseless receivers may have been a real 'wow' moment back in 1976 when a 5'10" safety weighing 180 pounds running at slightly less than his clocked 40 speed of 4.8 because he had a few beers at halftime but allowing it nowadays will lead to players being paralyzed or killed.

My advice for anyone craving the good old days of 'real football' just camp out at their local bar from midnight to close and watch the resident bad asses throw punches at each other. That seems to be the only part of football you enjoy anyway.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1984
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 11:56:00 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

I just read a story recently about how signing Griffen made sense - at least for Griffen. If for no other reason than sentimental ones I liked the idea.

i think that the Vikings put a dollar amount on the table last February - griffen didn't like it and announced he was leaving the team - a couple of times...but then nobody made him a better offer....

i'm guessing that he plays for the Vikes in 2020 at around $4m/yr....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 1985
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 12:11:04 PM   
Funkytown

quote:

In the NFL, quarterbacks are bigger than ever. How big? At 6-foot-5 and 250 pounds, Cam Newton is bigger than most offensive linemen in the 1960s.

Of course, nowadays, offensive linemen are much bigger than that. The average guard, tackle, or center in the NFL in 2011 is 6-foot-5 and about 310 pounds.

Of the 170 players that have started at least one game as an offensive lineman this season, only 28 weigh less than 300 pounds.

To put the sizes in perspective, let's compare the average size for an offensive lineman through the years to an active player (all data via Pro-Football-Reference.com).

In the 1920s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-0, 211 pounds.

In the 1930s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-1, 220 pounds.

In the 1940s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-1, 221 pounds.

In the 1950s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-2, 234 pounds.

In the 1960s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-3, 251 pounds.

In the 1970s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-3, 255 pounds.

In the 1980s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-4, 272 pounds.

In the 1990s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-4, 300 pounds.

In the 2000s, the average offensive lineman was 6-foot-4, 313 pounds.

In 2011, the average offensive lineman is 6-foot-5, 310 pounds.

Here is some good, offseason reading:

How NFL offensive linemen escape the 5,000-calorie lunch and transform in retirement

< Message edited by Funkytown -- 7/6/2020 12:12:19 PM >
Post #: 1986
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 12:50:20 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This is a tweet from Tom Pelissero with the timeline the players association is advocating before the season begins.

With the NFLPA still opposed to preseason games, one possible camp schedule the union has discussed:

a total of eight practices with pads? and no preseason games...these guys are going to be out of gas by the second quarter....

The next update is the 20-21 season will be no blocking, no tackle, passing only offenses, with flag tackles.

Flag belts will encircle the player and have at least 5 flags around all players midsection.

The football will be scrubbed with hand sanitizer, by the designated football scrubbing official, who will signal when ready to play between snaps.

I truly believe Sendejo had it right. Make Football Violent Again. If they truly want to make it more safe they would go to flag football. It's hypocrisy playing tackle football, but requiring gentle tackling.

Football is still incredibly violent. The size and athleticism of the players is a double-edged sword in that they generate unbelievable force with the speed that even the big players reach. The 'nasty' players from the 70's would get obliterated by today's players. The only way to bring back what some describe 'old school football' or 'violent football' would be to only allow players of average speed and size. Then they could all collide with each other all season long and casual fans could celebrate the return of 'real football'.

It truly is Hypocrisy to say we want all you massive, big, strong and fast guys to play tackle football and expect them to do it GENTLY. It's ridiculous. If they truly want to make it safe they eliminate all collisions from the game, Guess what? If you do that you haven't got a game. I've seen players get injured by trying to tackle their opponent too gently.

No one is asking for gentle football nor is football anything even close to gentle. It's the opposite. It's incredibly violent. The athleticism, speed, and size of the players has gotten to a point where, at a minimum, some adjustments need to be made. For example, allowing hits on defenseless receivers may have been a real 'wow' moment back in 1976 when a 5'10" safety weighing 180 pounds running at slightly less than his clocked 40 speed of 4.8 because he had a few beers at halftime but allowing it nowadays will lead to players being paralyzed or killed.

My advice for anyone craving the good old days of 'real football' just camp out at their local bar from midnight to close and watch the resident bad asses throw punches at each other. That seems to be the only part of football you enjoy anyway.

DF you are correct that it is still violent. And that is why I say this tackling gently stuff is hypocritical. If they want to make the game safe they would eliminate all collisions including those of the lines blocking and trying to defeat the block. However since the powers that be know this would not be accepted by the purchasing public they take mostly insignificant measures to make it appear that they are making the game safe. They AREN"T.

It is a fact that the NFL requires defenders to tackle, particularly the QB, with the least possible force needed to take him down. I have seen a player get significantly injured in an attempt to reduce the force of his tackle. I would agree that taking cheap shots at a player are out of line. However, I think it's ridiculous you need to tackle gently. It is good that they have rules against blocking from behind, but now they added a rule that before you are going to block a player you have to tell him I'm about to block you now (sarcasm) and make sure you are 100% in his sight before doing such (fact).
These safety rules are very bad for the game and have almost no impact on making the game safer. I really admired Andrew Luck saying good tackle to the defender when the Defender got a great hit on him.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 7/6/2020 12:53:56 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1987
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 1:32:31 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Some of the newer rules on tackling, such as not leading with the helmet or the horse collar tackle make a lot of sense to me. Also I approve of the newer kickoff rules where a lot of the injuries used to happen. Maybe they still do.

I'm glad that the protective equipment is better than in years past. Another critical point is that players with concussions don't go out on the field again without going through a protocol with a doctor, which usually means they don't play in that game. Fred McNeill might still be alive today if these rules had been in place in his playing days.

Lastly, the larger roster size must be helpful to the players as most of the starters don't have to play special teams. In the 60's the Vikings motto was "forty for sixty". There was more of the need and mentality for the players to play hurt.

Post #: 1988
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 2:16:44 PM   
kgdabom

Posted on other NFL News, but it's a big deal so posting here.

PATRICK MAHOMES
QB, KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

Chiefs signed QB Patrick Mahomes to a 10-year extension through 2031.
Ten-year contracts are literally unheard of in the NFL, but if anybody is worth one, it's certainly last year's Super Bowl MVP. Turning 25 in September, Mahomes won the regular-season MVP award in 2018, leading the league with 50 touchdown passes. He took a step back from a statistical perspective last year, but Mahomes put the team on his back when it mattered most in the playoffs, leading multiple postseason comebacks en route to the Chiefs' first Super Bowl title since 1969. Mahomes is on the fast track of becoming the best quarterback in history. The Chiefs had just one player signed through 2024 -- K Harrison Butker -- and Mahomes is inked seven years past that. He's tied to Kansas City through his age-36 season.

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Jul 6, 2020, 2:55 PM ET

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1989
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 3:35:16 PM   
Bill Jandro

WOW!!!

I don't see the up side in this for KC. If he gets hurt or has some chronic problem and can play but is ineffective their on the hook for a lot of money. If he stays healthy the contract most likely will save them from future escalating qb salary increases. However, if the cap and qb salaries become ginormous Mahommes can always hold out and get it renegotiated.

Post #: 1990
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 3:37:38 PM   
Bill Jandro

The reported deal will be the richest in NFL history, and it will keep the Super Bowl champion in Kansas City through the 2031 season. Sources told Schefter the deal is worth over $400 million but additional details have not been reported.

Post #: 1991
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 3:39:02 PM   
Bruce Johnson

If Covid is going to put downward pressure on the salary cap, they may regret this.

Post #: 1992
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 4:22:09 PM   
Bruce Johnson

A Justin Jefferson video clip of him working out. He looks like he's going to be a player.

https://twitter.com/WillRagatz/status/1280237848113958913?s=09

Post #: 1993
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 4:24:20 PM   
Bruce Johnson

3 very brutal stats from Xavier Rhodes last season stated on NFL Network right now

84% completion percentage when targeted

128.4 QB Rating when targeted (2nd worst amongst starting corners in 2019)

Led the league in penalties

(Purple Post on Twitter)

Post #: 1994
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 6:55:38 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

A Justin Jefferson video clip of him working out. He looks like he's going to be a player.

https://twitter.com/WillRagatz/status/1280237848113958913?s=09

He looks a bit bigger and stronger. That roll at the end looks a little painful.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1995
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 8:17:13 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The problem with this is 50% or more of these calls are bad calls.
Post #: 1996
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 8:24:11 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The problem with this is 50% or more of these calls are bad calls.

Put in a sky judge and that problem goes away.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1997
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 8:44:03 PM   
thebigo

quote:

So is Jefferson a Cordarelle Patterson clone with actual WR skills?
Post #: 1998
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/6/2020 9:16:16 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

Jefferson is an inch shorter and his 40 time almost the same. (.01 sec. slower) I dare say that his route running must be better.

Post #: 1999
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/7/2020 6:10:30 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Jefferson is an inch shorter and his 40 time almost the same. (.01 sec. slower) I dare say that his route running must be better.

His route running as suppose to be right up there with Jerry Juedy as the best in this wr class.

Post #: 2000
Page:   <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  78 79 [80] 81 82   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode