Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Covid 19 and those infected

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/27/2020 10:57:58 PM  1 votes
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

In the meantime, hospitalizations up to 43K and rising, including in places with no current capacity... and no mask mandate or any plan to mitigate the problem other than scrambling to put beds in parking lots. And at the national level, the failsafe? Even less.

Could you compare developing a vaccine for H1N1 and Covid?

It took 6 months to start vaccinating people in 2009. Is this more complicated or should we expect something shortly?

Paulgly says most of what I would. I'd also add that we won't even really know if the vaccine is going to be effective until at least the second half of 2021, if then. It will be at earliest at the midpoint of 2021 where we get a significant enough portion of the population vaccinated to possibly get a meaningful level of immunity. We also don't really know how effective it will be, and there are all kinds of problems with adoption.

A significant chunk of our population is anti-vaccine and another is anti-science/expert and another is too libertarian to contact trace, etc. (with a lot of overlap). We seem to be a society with a death wish.....
Post #: 1376
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/28/2020 7:15:31 AM   
SoMnFan

White House coronavirus response coordinator Dr. Deborah Birx is criticizing North Dakotans for having what she called the poorest mask use in the country, as the state experiences one of the highest rates of COVID-19 transmission nationwide.
Birx spent two days in the state this week as part of a nationwide tour that's brought her to nearly 40 states during the coronavirus pandemic.
She told officials there that North Dakota had the worst mask use she had seen so far.
"Over the last 24 hours as we were here, and we were in your grocery stores, and in your restaurants and frankly even in your hotels, this is the least use of masks that we have seen in retail establishments of any place we have been," Birx said Monday during a roundtable with local leaders and health officials in the state capital of Bismarck.

North Dakota is one of 16 states that don't have a statewide mask mandate, according to Masks4All, a volunteer organization that advocates for more mask-wearing. Instead the governor has stressed personal responsibility, and mandates have been left up to individual mayors. In recent weeks, Fargo, Minot and Grand Forks have voted to implement a mask mandate, though Bismarck had not as of Tuesday evening.

Birx emphasized that mask-wearing is one of the main measures to limit the spread of COVID-19.
"There is not only evidence that masks work, there is evidence that masks utilized as a public health mitigation effort work," said Birx, who noted that there is a "very high level" of COVID-19 in North Dakota.
"It doesn't matter if you're in a rural area, or if you're in an urban area," she said.

North Dakota currently has the highest number of daily COVID-19 cases per capita in the U.S., according to an analysis by the New York Times. In the most recent task force report, dated Oct. 18, the state also had the highest rate of cases in the country.
An ABC News analysis found that the daily rate of positivity and current hospitalizations in North Dakota have increased over the past two weeks.
On Tuesday, the state health department reported 896 new cases, for a daily positivity rate of 14.82%. The rolling 14-day positivity rate was 10.9% -- more than double the rate that health experts recommend.
North Dakota saw a 39.9% increase in week-to-week new cases on Oct. 20, according to an Oct. 26 Health and Human Services memo obtained by ABC News. The state also surpassed 1,000 daily new cases for the first time on Oct. 20, the memo said. The state's growing caseload has created a backlog, increasing the time it takes to notify people who have tested positive from 24 hours to 72 hours, according to HHS.
On the question of whether statewide mask mandates are effective, Birx said, "When you look at the states and when they implemented a mask mandate and you look at their cases per million and you look at their fatalities per million, they are lower than states that chose to recommend masks but not to mandate," the Bismarck Tribune reported.
Birx did not say Monday whether she recommended that Gov. Doug Burgum mandate that masks be worn in public.

The Republican governor defended the state's mask approach during Monday's roundtable.
"We know we don't have enforcement mechanisms in North Dakota where someone is going to force someone to wear a mask," he said. "So again, it comes back to individuals choosing the role that they want to play in the community."

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 1377
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/28/2020 11:16:19 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

In the meantime, hospitalizations up to 43K and rising, including in places with no current capacity... and no mask mandate or any plan to mitigate the problem other than scrambling to put beds in parking lots. And at the national level, the failsafe? Even less.

Could you compare developing a vaccine for H1N1 and Covid?

It took 6 months to start vaccinating people in 2009. Is this more complicated or should we expect something shortly?

Paulgly says most of what I would. I'd also add that we won't even really know if the vaccine is going to be effective until at least the second half of 2021, if then. It will be at earliest at the midpoint of 2021 where we get a significant enough portion of the population vaccinated to possibly get a meaningful level of immunity. We also don't really know how effective it will be, and there are all kinds of problems with adoption.

A significant chunk of our population is anti-vaccine and another is anti-science/expert and another is too libertarian to contact trace, etc. (with a lot of overlap). We seem to be a society with a death wish.....

It would seem that many of the anti-vaxxers and anti-science would be one in the same. Not all, but most. It will be hard to win an election in 2024 without any voters left.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1378
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/28/2020 8:25:34 PM  5 votes
Brad H

Over 80,000 more cases and over 1,000 more deaths today. That's some kind of hoax.

Post #: 1379
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/30/2020 11:03:22 PM  1 votes
Brad H

Over 101k cases today in the United States. Crazy bad right now.

Rounding the curve?

Post #: 1380
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/31/2020 8:13:50 AM   
Bill Jandro

I heard it's really bad in Italy, France, probably many more in Europe

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1381
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/31/2020 10:14:47 AM   
Lynn G.

But those European countries are still way ahead of us because they tamped down the virus early. So yes, they are experiencing a spike just as we are. But their starting point is WAY lower than ours. Other than New York, we have never successfully tamped anything down.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1382
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/31/2020 10:40:08 AM  1 votes
Bill Johanesen

When, why, and how did people lose the perspective of how the United States is fairing? When was it replaced with "Butwhatabout..." as a way to deflect, to rationalize things away, to provide a scapegoat excuse?
Post #: 1383
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 10/31/2020 10:58:34 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

I heard it's really bad in Italy, France, probably many more in Europe

Yep, things have heated up in Europe again. Too many people thinking and wanting life to go back to normal. France had 49k, Spain 25k, Italy 31k and Germany 19k yesterday. Many of those countries are in the process of shutting down again. Last time around we lagged behind them about 4-6 weeks.

Post #: 1384
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 11/2/2020 1:23:55 AM   
Brad H

One out of every 16.9 people in North Dakota now have (or have had) the virus.

Post #: 1385
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 11/2/2020 8:24:04 AM  1 votes
shakeywalton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

When, why, and how did people lose the perspective of how the United States is fairing? When was it replaced with "Butwhatabout..." as a way to deflect, to rationalize things away, to provide a scapegoat excuse?

It's in the FAUX news republican playbook. They've all studied it in detail which is why you always here the "Butwhatabout.." from them.
Post #: 1386
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 11/8/2020 11:46:10 PM   
bohumm

From a previous discussion:

Sturgis Super Spreader Event
Post #: 1387
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 11/9/2020 6:31:01 AM   
Todd M

< Message edited by Todd M -- 11/9/2020 7:08:47 AM >
Post #: 1388
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 11/12/2020 6:40:36 PM   
twinsfan

Houston Texans fired their PR Director because she was no longer a "cultural fit." She has indicated support for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. Pathetic of the Texans. Snowflakes.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 1389
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 11/12/2020 8:50:00 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

Houston Texans fired their PR Director because she was no longer a "cultural fit." She has indicated support for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. Pathetic of the Texans. Snowflakes.

Cancel culture strikes again.
Post #: 1390
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 11/23/2020 3:53:26 PM   
David Levine

They're young and strong; they'll be fine...

Buffalo Bills TE Tommy Sweeney will be out for remainder of season after a cardiologist discovered he has myocarditis, a condition connected to COVID-19.
Post #: 1391
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 11/23/2020 9:25:39 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

Buffalo Bills TE Tommy Sweeney will be out for remainder of season after a cardiologist discovered he has myocarditis, a condition connected to COVID-19.

I, too, thought of this thread and the broad dialogue about sports leagues, schools, etc, when I saw this news. It's not nothing, it is not the flu. Sometimes it's quite close to nothing, sometimes it's lethal. Most often it's on a continuum in between, and this is one of the prominent points on that continuum. It can be fatal and it can permanently damage the heart, or it can resolve on its own after a period of rest.
Post #: 1392
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 11/24/2020 8:20:45 AM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

I, too, thought of this thread and the broad dialogue about sports leagues, schools, etc, when I saw this news. It's not nothing, it is not the flu. Sometimes it's quite close to nothing, sometimes it's lethal. Most often it's on a continuum in between, and this is one of the prominent points on that continuum. It can be fatal and it can permanently damage the heart, or it can resolve on its own after a period of rest.

The wide spectrum of outcomes on a wide variety of people is baffling. My dad was the poster boy for who would get vanquished by this virus, but he handled it quite easily. Tired, a little fever, but otherwise no big whoop.

< Message edited by bstinger -- 11/24/2020 8:22:04 AM >

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 1393
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 11/29/2020 5:03:15 PM   
Ricky J

I came in to specifically look for some information and this thread caught my eye right away. Although I've only read the back page, for now, I'll say this, I'm living in a county in Iowa with numbers climbing through the roof this past month. Some of these people could use a good kick in the ass.

My wife is a RN in our local hospital. They don't have enough beds and she putting in hours you wouldn't believe.

Great to see some of the old familiar faces
Post #: 1394
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 11/29/2020 5:29:56 PM  1 votes
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

I came in to specifically look for some information and this thread caught my eye right away. Although I've only read the back page, for now, I'll say this, I'm living in a county in Iowa with numbers climbing through the roof this past month. Some of these people could use a good kick in the ass.

My wife is a RN in our local hospital. They don't have enough beds and she putting in hours you wouldn't believe.

Great to see some of the old familiar faces

There is a COVID thread in the Politics folder. While it has some good info, it's largely about ineptness on the administration and other fronts.
Post #: 1395
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/1/2020 10:12:31 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

Well.. I knew this day was coming..

Older brother and his pistol packin mamma, couldn’t be bothered, after getting power of attorney for Mom, to keep mom at home and use her assets to hire a full time elder care person..

Nope, put her into one of the great state of nursing home infections, Iowa, senior care home..

They went on lockdown a month ago, 8 resident and 4 staff tested positive.

Now mom is in quarantine, because she tested positive, yesterday.

No symptoms yet, but she is 85

Had a good run...

Nothing I can do...

Just call her...

Can’t see her, can’t be with her..

Life just keeps getting better...

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 12/1/2020 10:13:49 AM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1396
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/1/2020 10:33:43 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Older brother and his pistol packin mamma, couldn’t be bothered, after getting power of attorney for Mom, to keep mom at home and use her assets to hire a full time elder care person..

Nope, put her into one of the great state of nursing home infections, Iowa, senior care home..

Had a good run...

Nothing I can do...

Just call her...

Sorry to hear that Dan, that greed thing.

Hopefully she will pull through it, looks like about 80%+ her age do.
Post #: 1397
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/1/2020 1:09:21 PM   
bstinger

quote:

Had a good run...

Nothing I can do...

Just call her...

There is hope. My 75 year old asthmatic father survived it. He's the poster child for someone who should succumb, but it didn't phase him much at all.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 1398
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/1/2020 7:13:26 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Had a good run...

Nothing I can do...

Just call her...

Sorry to hear that and the best to her. I had a similar but pre-COVID instance with my in-laws and their mom; we were kind of ousted as the liberals so they had the power of attorney. Their ineptitude led to her demise. It involved a hospital release, a refusal to spend a dime on professional care, winter, a drive across many states, and a lack of oxygen.

Granted the mom said Obama was out to destroy the country....

But anyway, people are incredible.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 12/1/2020 7:14:28 PM >
Post #: 1399
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/1/2020 11:25:45 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Look I appreciate all the kind words, but I am a realist.

Mom has had a good life.

Her faith in the church has let her do amazing things, and be a strong, independent woman.

What hurts me most is the typical “ first born” entitlement that put her away, against her will,.

My oldest brother, being mom and dad’s favorite, exploited his relationship with mom to get POA.

Nothing my younger brother and I could do or say would shake her belief that he would do the right thing, and not do what he eventually did.

Took her away from her home and put her in a senior death camp.

Mom, to her credit has and still does, try to leave that place, before she went further down the dementia road.

She tried to get out.

He, my POA brother, had her “assigned, for her own protection” and an ankle monitor, that locks the doors, put on mom to “ keep her safe from herself”.

Words can not describe the feelings I and my younger brother have about this situation.

But we have no legal power.

Mom cast her dice.

I actually wish she would go meet Jesus, in her sleep, to end this misery she is trapped in.

I hear it in her voice, the resignation, the underlying anger, the resentment she will not, in the name of Jesus, express, out loud.

It is brutal.

And as always, I am almost powerless, to do anything outside of kicking my older brothers ass, again, for the umpteenth time, to make him see what a diq he is being.

I am too old for that shit, and he is well armed.

If it was Mano a Mano to have the final say, I know he knows, from past experience, that he can’t match me.

Hence his guns.

He knows if I was POA, he would be SOL.

You never can plan for the crap that life gives you.

People of faith like to say that “GOD never gives you a burden that he thinks you can not handle in your life, that god strengthens you by placing the weight of trials and tribulation upon you”

My Fn Cup Runneth the Fuq over, God...

Go fuq yourself or I’m gonna go to hell and help plot your overthrow.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 12/1/2020 11:27:28 PM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1400
Page:   <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode