Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Covid 19 and those infected

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/2/2020 11:00:54 AM   
Trekgeekscott

For those of you that don't venture into the Political threads

Well, I just found out a very close friend of mine has tested positive for COVID and is being hospitalized. He's struggled his whole life with type 1 diabetes. This guy is an amazing human being. Donates hours of his time to Childrens' Hospitals. puts together a benefit for Children's cancer every year that usually nets about 5-7 thousand dollars. To lose him would be a loss to humanity.

He's also got an amazing sense of humor and is an all around great guy.

Pray for my friend Vince. Please

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1401
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/2/2020 1:30:33 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

Well, I just found out a very close friend of mine has tested positive for COVID and is being hospitalized. He's struggled his whole life with type 1 diabetes. This guy is an amazing human being. Donates hours of his time to Childrens' Hospitals. puts together a benefit for Children's cancer every year that usually nets about 5-7 thousand dollars. To lose him would be a loss to humanity.

You got it.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1402
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/2/2020 7:00:53 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Done.
Post #: 1403
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/13/2020 7:26:31 PM   
unome

Hope everyone is well.

Been busier than heck myself, but I wanted to stop by and tell people to stay safe now especially because the pandemic is almost over.

If the country hits the 100 million immunization goal by February, the COVID numbers will drop like a rock.

With all the base immunity in the population, plus added immunity for 30% of the population getting vaccines, will blow us past the beginning stages of herd immunity (North Dakota looks like it already made it there on it's own) and community spread will become less and less of a problem.

This crap is almost over!

Happy Holidays!!
Post #: 1404
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/13/2020 8:57:43 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: unome

Hope everyone is well.

Been busier than heck myself, but I wanted to stop by and tell people to stay safe now especially because the pandemic is almost over.

If the country hits the 100 million immunization goal by February, the COVID numbers will drop like a rock.

With all the base immunity in the population, plus added immunity for 30% of the population getting vaccines, will blow us past the beginning stages of herd immunity (North Dakota looks like it already made it there on it's own) and community spread will become less and less of a problem.

Happy Holidays!!

Praying you are right.
Post #: 1405
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/14/2020 12:03:25 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Hope everyone is well.

Happy Holidays!!

We are at about 200-300 new cases a day now. It was supposed to be the Thanksgiving spike so the numbers are encouraging.
Post #: 1406
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/14/2020 12:54:55 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Wonder if MAGA has enough needles?
Post #: 1407
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/15/2020 2:16:43 PM  1 votes
Trekgeekscott

Good News, My friend Vince is heading home.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1408
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/15/2020 2:44:54 PM   
TJSweens

That's good news Scott. Glad to hear it.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1409
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/15/2020 3:18:11 PM   
bstinger

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 1410
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/15/2020 9:47:11 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

Post #: 1411
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/30/2020 10:20:01 PM   
unome

quote:

Hope everyone is well.

Happy Holidays!!

It looks like the vaccine rollout is slower than hoped for, but it always takes some time to rollout totally new supply chains from scratch, so that was to be expected. I expect it to keep ramping up over the next month and then start really delivering the vaccine numbers.

The COVID numbers are dreadful right now and they will be awful in January. We may start seeing some change in the numbers in February, but those numbers will still be high, especially in deaths because all these high December and January infection rates will still be feeding the death rate.

But I am still really hopeful for major changes in the numbers from March to May where I think there will be massive improvement.

Why so positive when everyone else is so glum?

I am so excited about the vaccine because it is not hard to tell who to immunize if you want to save lives. Roughly 40% of the COVID deaths are from LTC residents. This population is less than 1% of the overall population.

So you should see huge death rate decreases as this population is fully immunized. And this should be done by mid-January.

BTW, LTC residents should have been first to get vaccines, but they did medical workers first, which is frankly pretty lame. Medical workers are often heroes and deserve to be high on the priority list, but they are not dying in droves like LTC residents are, and they have medical grade masks. But I digress.

With the group accounting for 40% of deaths being vaccinated by mid-January, you should see death rates start dropping by March and keep dropping as the elderly get vaccinated.

Overall COVID cases will start coming down as well, but not at the same rate as the death rate, which is interesting because normally the case rate falls first.

The COVID case rate should just keep going down and should look really good by May if the vaccine distribution is good by the end of February. And the numbers will just keep dropping as every state reaches the first stage of herd immunity hopefully in February and we could reach what is generally considered to be true herd immunity at the 130-150 million vaccination level.

Hopefully, at that point, COVID numbers will be so much lower as to be more manageable and contract tracing will be much more viable.

So, it is darkest before the dawn. January will completely suck and February will not be all that great either. But, the spring is coming. I think we will all like the spring.
Post #: 1412
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/31/2020 6:18:05 AM   
ronhextall

The next stimulus should only be given to those that get vaccine. That incentive will push a few more to get it and every person that gets it helps.
Post #: 1413
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/31/2020 6:30:00 AM   
Brad H

quote:

Awesome!

I now have a nephew with it. His wife has asthma, so hopefully they are staying apart.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1414
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/31/2020 7:33:14 AM   
Bill Jandro

Shouldn't the people currently infected with the virus be vaccinated first?

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1415
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/31/2020 7:50:23 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

As I understand it, they should be last. They are already infected. What's the point of giving a vaccine to someone that already has it? It's like patching a ship that has already sunk.

I'm not a medical expert, so maybe I'm missing something.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 12/31/2020 7:52:06 AM >

Post #: 1416
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/31/2020 7:56:21 AM   
thebigo

quote:

They've already been vaccinated
Post #: 1417
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/31/2020 8:38:37 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

As I understand it, they should be last. They are already infected. What's the point of giving a vaccine to someone that already has it? It's like patching a ship that has already sunk.

I'm not a medical expert, so maybe I'm missing something.

If you currently have the virus, your body is already mass producing antibodies to fight it. The vaccine will do absolutely nothing to help you.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1418
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/31/2020 9:32:51 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

The vaccine works to PREVENT infection. It doesn't cure someone who already has it.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1419
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/31/2020 10:54:11 AM   
Bill Jandro

Just curious.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1420
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/31/2020 7:41:06 PM   
unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

The next stimulus should only be given to those that get vaccine. That incentive will push a few more to get it and every person that gets it helps.

Why?

Until we have more vaccines than willing recipients, just vaccinate the willing. We are still a few months away, if we are lucky, from vaccinating all the people that really need the vaccine because they have conditions or age that makes them more vulnerable or jobs that require public interaction.

I have no problem getting the vaccine, but I probably won't. Why?

Because once you vaccinate everyone older than me (50 and up), people with health conditions, people that work in the public (I would much rather have a 24 year old teacher get the vaccine before me) and people that are younger than me, but scared silly about the virus (like my poor, sweet sister-in-law), there should be enough herd immunity to make getting the vaccine fairly useless at that point.

If they start looking around for people to get the vaccine because everyone else that wanted it got it, and there is still COVID cases in any significant level in population, I will get the vaccine, but I will wait until then.

I do not plan on going down with the ship, but I do want to make sure everyone that wants a seat on the lifeboat has one first.
Post #: 1421
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 12/31/2020 9:24:47 PM   
thebigo

quote:

So were months away from having enough vaccines for everyone. The youngest generally will be the last to get it, yet young adults are probably most affected by the shutdowns financially.
Post #: 1422
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 1/1/2021 1:17:34 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

So were months away from having enough vaccines for everyone. The youngest generally will be the last to get it, yet young adults are probably most affected by the shutdowns financially.

The vaccine is designed to help people live, not to help earn a paycheck.

Post #: 1423
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 1/1/2021 10:10:37 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

The vaccine is designed to help people live, not to help earn a paycheck.

In the real world, you need a paycheck to live.
Post #: 1424
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 1/1/2021 10:22:13 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

Why?

Until we have more vaccines than willing recipients, just vaccinate the willing. We are still a few months away, if we are lucky, from vaccinating all the people that really need the vaccine because they have conditions or age that makes them more vulnerable or jobs that require public interaction.

I have no problem getting the vaccine, but I probably won't. Why?

Because once you vaccinate everyone older than me (50 and up), people with health conditions, people that work in the public (I would much rather have a 24 year old teacher get the vaccine before me) and people that are younger than me, but scared silly about the virus (like my poor, sweet sister-in-law), there should be enough herd immunity to make getting the vaccine fairly useless at that point.

If they start looking around for people to get the vaccine because everyone else that wanted it got it, and there is still COVID cases in any significant level in population, I will get the vaccine, but I will wait until then.

I do not plan on going down with the ship, but I do want to make sure everyone that wants a seat on the lifeboat has one first.

Waiting could, in this case, be a fatal decision. I'd say it's up to you, but honestly, your delay in getting the vaccination could end up killing OTHER people as you spread the virus around.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1425
Page:   <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  55 56 [57] 58 59   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode