Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Covid 19 and those infected

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/9/2021 12:09:47 PM  1 votes
unome

I did not come here to debate politics, which have nothing to do with any of this, or to have explain how I added the words -the first stages of- before herd immunity because we do not have total herd immunity. Rather, we have enough immunity in the population to provide a real brake on the spread of the virus.

If any of you would like, please feel free to stay super negative. The positive numbers you will keep seeing will be surprising to you and that will provide additional joy. Rainbows and unicorns for everyone!
Post #: 1451
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/9/2021 1:15:16 PM   
David F.

I for one, feel incredibly positive and thankful that after being hit in the head with a hammer repeatedly for ten months I'm now being hit at a slower rate than three months ago. I hope someone takes the hammer away (vaccines) from the guy hitting me before spring comes and people enter a free-for-all of social gatherings. Our current rate of vaccination isn't enough to get us there before we come back out of our winter hibernations. Speed it up Biden!

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1452
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/9/2021 2:42:36 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: unome

That's funny.

My positive post about how the pandemic is in beginning stages of winding down got a one star rating from someone!

Governor Walz no doubt, still got a ways to go before we hit his magic number of 50,000.
Post #: 1453
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/9/2021 5:46:30 PM   
Brad H

quote:

I did not come here to debate politics, which have nothing to do with any of this, or to have explain how I added the words -the first stages of- before herd immunity because we do not have total herd immunity. Rather, we have enough immunity in the population to provide a real brake on the spread of the virus.

If any of you would like, please feel free to stay super negative. The positive numbers you will keep seeing will be surprising to you and that will provide additional joy. Rainbows and unicorns for everyone!

We're rounding the curve.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1454
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/9/2021 5:59:46 PM   
Bruce Johnson

It's been a mixed bag. I mean, I'm sure some health care workers have been rewarded handsomely. When I was in the hospital for Covid, a lot of the workers were from out of state here to make the big bucks. I'm not knocking any of that. They were providing for a special need and they were able and willing to provide it.

On the other hand, there are businesses that are out or that will never recover. There must be individuals who must have terrible stories of how they were financially ruined. T

Then there are those sad stories of those who did not survive. My story is more of an inspirational story, I believe, but I do wonder if the residual effects will be the end of me sooner than I realize. I mentioned that my daughter the ultrasound technician checked out a number of my vital organs and told me that she was pleasantly surprised that I was as good as I was from what she could see. I know that I am not the same, though. I can not make it through a day without an afternoon nap. When I resist, it feels like I will die. It's actually painful- not acute in a sharp manner, but generally it literally hurts to stay awake. I was never near close to that before. Nevertheless, I awake from my nap and after getting up I feel good. It's another chapter in my life, for sure and I have to embrace it for as long as I can keep it going. I know that I should be counting my blessing and thanking God each and every day.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1455
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/9/2021 6:07:12 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

It's been a mixed bag. I mean, I'm sure some health care workers have been rewarded handsomely. When I was in the hospital for Covid, a lot of the workers were from out of state here to make the big bucks. I'm not knocking any of that. They were providing for a special need and they were able and willing to provide it.

On the other hand, there are businesses that are out or that will never recover. There must be individuals who must have terrible stories of how they were financially ruined. T

Then there are those sad stories of those who did not survive. My story is more of an inspirational story, I believe, but I do wonder if the residual effects will be the end of me sooner than I realize. I mentioned that my daughter the ultrasound technician checked out a number of my vital organs and told me that she was pleasantly surprised that I was as good as I was from what she could see. I know that I am not the same, though. I can not make it through a day without an afternoon nap. When I resist, it feels like I will die. It's actually painful- not acute in a sharp manner, but generally it literally hurts to stay awake. I was never near close to that before. Nevertheless, I awake from my nap and after getting up I feel good. It's another chapter in my life, for sure and I have to embrace it for as long as I can keep it going. I know that I should be counting my blessing and thanking God each and every day.

It's been a terrible 11 months. Sorry to hear about your struggles.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1456
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/9/2021 8:13:28 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Great post Bruce. You are an inspiration and i for one am glad your still with us.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1457
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/9/2021 8:18:34 PM   
Bill Jandro

On a good note. My older brother got the covid but was uneffected by it. Possibly a false positive.

He was diagnosed with prostate cancer and when he when in to have it removed he had tested positive. This was a month ago he just had the surgery last weekend and is doing well.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1458
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/9/2021 9:40:12 PM   
bohumm

quote:

You may already know this, but you ended up on the ventilator because of Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) resulting from COVID pneumonia. Your alveoli (the air sacs at the end of your airways) and the interstitial space between your alveoli and the capillaries of your pulmonary circulation were flooded with proteins, red blood cells, white blood cells, cytokines, and other mediators of inflammation and healing. Type II pneumocytes were laid waste. Fibrin likely deposited in your interstitial space and a hyaline membrane likely formed on the walls of your alveoli.

When you recovered from the ARDS enough to come off the vent and resume your life, all that debris was left behind, like the aftermath of a hurricane. Even for someone whose lungs will recover nearly completely, it can take 6-12 months to sort our the damage. Even if there is lasting damage, there will usually also be a great degree of recovery.

The best thing you can do is take that nap like a birthright. Use the energy you have to get stronger little by little, gradually rebuilding stamina and strength. Go for walks and do progressive resistance/weight training (starting very easy) to make your everyday activities a little easier. You can't speed up the process in your lungs, and unfortunately there may be a limit to their recovery. But in either case your quality of life should improve by being attentive to your rehab, and that precious nap.

You mentioned that coming out of your sedation you realized the great value of your relationship with your wife, and your commitment to cultivate that. This kind of thing is a very underrated aspect of healing, and even of disease itself. Embrace it, and let that vault you just like the rehab and the naps. You and your body were one place a year ago, a different place in the hospital, and a still different place since then. Your mind and spirit were with you. Your trip through life has changed its itinerary....my advice is to strap in and go with it.
Post #: 1459
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/10/2021 1:12:49 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Very nice comments. Awesome, actually. I know I need to get back to the health club. My knee has been bothering me, but my doctor told me to go back to exercising anyway.

My wife has been really supportive and patient with me. I'm grateful for her support.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1460
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/10/2021 9:48:53 AM   
bohumm

quote:

Very nice comments. Awesome, actually. I know I need to get back to the health club. My knee has been bothering me, but my doctor told me to go back to exercising anyway.

My wife has been really supportive and patient with me. I'm grateful for her support.

Light weights, body weight against gravity, resistance bands...go easy at the beginning, and build up gradually.
Post #: 1461
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/10/2021 10:10:24 AM   
Bill Johanesen

So the big COVID takeaway is with 1-1.5 million shots being administered daily we will see COVID cases drop. Thanks Mr. Obvious.
Post #: 1462
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/10/2021 6:19:59 PM  1 votes
unome

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

So the big COVID takeaway is with 1-1.5 million shots being administered daily we will see COVID cases drop. Thanks Mr. Obvious.

People here keep reminding me why I stopped posting here for years. Reading how ugly some people can be make me sad because I want Vikings fans to be good people. Some are, of course, but it looks like TalkVikes is not the place for kind dialogue. To be fair, my hats off to Sweeney for his interesting comments. I liked his intelligent discourse on the matter and disagreement is good, especially when it comes to anything scientific.

However, Bill, you need to talk Sweeney, because my comments were not at all obvious to him. Or Lynn. Or whoever is voting me down. It was not obvious to Fauci, or Gates, or really anyone else that I read in December.

Or maybe you are saying it is obvious after it happened? Ok, I suppose that is hard to argue. My prediction is the Bucs win the Super Bowl. Looks like I was right!

I came here posted a positive post about how things are going to keep getting better, and better than anyone I see is predicting, and I have been one starred and put down.

Huh, I cannot imagine how bad it would have been here if I had actually said something negative.

< Message edited by unome -- 2/10/2021 6:23:29 PM >
Post #: 1463
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/10/2021 6:57:28 PM   
David F.

Snowflake alert.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1464
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/11/2021 7:19:58 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Snowflake alert.

Yeah except it wasn't Unome.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1465
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/11/2021 8:20:55 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

People here keep reminding me why I stopped posting here for years. Reading how ugly some people can be make me sad because I want Vikings fans to be good people. Some are, of course, but it looks like TalkVikes is not the place for kind dialogue. To be fair, my hats off to Sweeney for his interesting comments. I liked his intelligent discourse on the matter and disagreement is good, especially when it comes to anything scientific.

However, Bill, you need to talk Sweeney, because my comments were not at all obvious to him. Or Lynn. Or whoever is voting me down. It was not obvious to Fauci, or Gates, or really anyone else that I read in December.

Or maybe you are saying it is obvious after it happened? Ok, I suppose that is hard to argue. My prediction is the Bucs win the Super Bowl. Looks like I was right!

I came here posted a positive post about how things are going to keep getting better, and better than anyone I see is predicting, and I have been one starred and put down.

Huh, I cannot imagine how bad it would have been here if I had actually said something negative.

The one that I recall reacting to was your adamant claim that numbers absolutely will not go up again. That seemed foolish to me because we've seen numbers go down and then go back up again during several cycles. I think that, in situations like this, when the human element plays such a part (i.e. idiots who gather for large parties, doing all of the things we've been told not to do), it's far-fetched to claim that everything is going to go in one direction from here on out. I consider myself a very positive person, but you also have to be realistic about something that has devastated the entire world.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1466
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/11/2021 8:22:19 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

Snowflake alert.

Yeah except it wasn't Unome.

Why do you say that? Did you hack him?

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1467
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/11/2021 8:35:21 AM   
Lynn G.

quote:

I only learned about three years ago that there have always been traveling nurses who are hired specifically to travel to "hot spots" or places where there aren't enough healthcare providers, often staying for months at a time, sharing apartments with other traveling nurses. Yes, they are paid more than the standard wages because it's essentially a very difficult assignment. So the situation with Covid simply brought that to the attention of the masses, but it's not just done for this situation. I'm going to guess that MORE nurses signed up for this than is typical, simply because the need was so great, but there is nothing unusual about it happening.

I never mentioned it before, Bruce, but given your own experience I was very surprised that you were enthusiastically supporting the return to sporting events when most leagues had shut down at the advent of covid. I would have guessed that anyone who endured what you had to deal with would have been super wary of putting anyone in a situation that might have exposed them to danger. Do you want to talk about that?

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1468
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/11/2021 9:04:00 AM   
Bruce Johnson

It's not like I was advocating mandatory attendance to games. Young people need to return to normal as much as possible is my opinion.

Post #: 1469
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/11/2021 9:20:12 AM   
Lynn G.

I wasn't even thinking about the crowds. I was thinking about the players and putting THEM at risk.

And I agree that we ALL need to return to normal. I just disagree on how soon we should be pushing that envelope.

Post #: 1470
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/11/2021 9:43:56 AM  2 votes
unome

quote:

Snowflake alert.

David, thanks for all the solid conversation that you have been able to bring to this subject. Your vast array of information and insight is breath-taking and has allowed us all to learn from all your knowledge.
Post #: 1471
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/11/2021 9:51:36 AM  1 votes
unome

This is from this morning New York Times email.

I am not able to link it because, as far as I can tell, this information is just in the email and not on their site. I apologize for the lack of a link:

We’re slowly building immunity

The main cause of the decline appears to be that a significant share of people now have at least some immunity to the virus. That also helps explain the global decline in newly diagnosed cases:

In the U.S., about 110 million people have likely had the virus (including unconfirmed cases), researchers say. Another 33 million have received at least one vaccine shot.

Combined, these two groups make up about 43 percent of all Americans, which appears to be enough to slow the spread. “Though it is difficult to know for sure,” Andrew Brouwer, a University of Michigan epidemiologist, told The Wall Street Journal, “we may be approaching herd protection.”"

There is a link to the WSJ piece where the Dr. Brouwer quote was taken, but that is subscription only, and I do not have a WSJ subscription.
Post #: 1472
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/11/2021 10:12:46 AM  1 votes
Lynn G.

I'm happy to admit I may have too conservative of an outlook on how soon we'll be on the winning side of this thing. Remember that we've been inundated since the beginning with messages like "it's not that big of a deal" and "it'll disappear like magic" and "the doctors are lying about the numbers" etc.

So when I see someone make a comment like "the numbers are never going back up" (I may be paraphrasing here) - yep, I'm going to jump on that.

But I will be thrilled to be wrong. I know that, between the people who have already survived Covid and the people that have gotten vaccinated, we are growing the numbers in our society who have some level of immunity. But the scientists will tell you that we do not know, yet, how long that immunity will last. So I greet positive outlooks with a smiley face but I'm not letting down my guard one iota.

Post #: 1473
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/11/2021 10:34:14 AM  4 votes
David F.

quote:

quote:

You assumed I didn’t understand economics. You could have just said ‘it’s to complex to suspend the changing hands of money temporarily’ and then I would have disagreed and said we very easily could so long as the top 1% of the wealthy were made to slow down or suspend their wealth accumulation and risk it that the majority of Americans didn’t decide they liked a resource based economy better than the existing capilism.

I read what you wrote. And I know you do not understand economics and finance. Or capitalism. Most people don't so it is hardly something to feel defensive about. When you cannot express a one sentence macroeconomic opinion without talking about the top 1%, I know that you are a political guy and not a finance guy.

There is a reason why Clinton and Obama did not change too much about the economic structure that JFK favored, Reagan set up and Clinton refined: it largely works.

The reality is that if we have a great economy that and the 99% are doing well, the top 1% will do great. If the top 1% are struggling, the 99% will be struggling, but moreso. JFK said: "a rising tide raises all ships".

You could confiscate all the wealth of top 1% and it would not lead us into national prosperity and, while looking at other people's success and being resentful is a very common human trait, that is no way to discern good economic policy.

I am sorry if that was too many words. It is hard to talk about macroeconomics and finance and keep it to a Twitter post or two.

Just look at all the positivity oozing from this post. I'd almost say that your tone has been most decidedly NOT positive from the get-go, then you made one quasi-positive post and expected the entire board to pivot with you, but... you know me!

Your need to control the narrative and control even the reactions of other posters is mind-blowing to me. Your need for approval and praise is unhealthy to say the least. But again, you know me.

Post #: 1474
RE: Covid 19 and those infected - 2/11/2021 10:48:22 AM  3 votes
unome

quote:

quote:

quote:

You assumed I didn’t understand economics. You could have just said ‘it’s to complex to suspend the changing hands of money temporarily’ and then I would have disagreed and said we very easily could so long as the top 1% of the wealthy were made to slow down or suspend their wealth accumulation and risk it that the majority of Americans didn’t decide they liked a resource based economy better than the existing capilism.

I read what you wrote. And I know you do not understand economics and finance. Or capitalism. Most people don't so it is hardly something to feel defensive about. When you cannot express a one sentence macroeconomic opinion without talking about the top 1%, I know that you are a political guy and not a finance guy.

There is a reason why Clinton and Obama did not change too much about the economic structure that JFK favored, Reagan set up and Clinton refined: it largely works.

The reality is that if we have a great economy that and the 99% are doing well, the top 1% will do great. If the top 1% are struggling, the 99% will be struggling, but moreso. JFK said: "a rising tide raises all ships".

You could confiscate all the wealth of top 1% and it would not lead us into national prosperity and, while looking at other people's success and being resentful is a very common human trait, that is no way to discern good economic policy.

I am sorry if that was too many words. It is hard to talk about macroeconomics and finance and keep it to a Twitter post or two.

Just look at all the positivity oozing from this post. I'd almost say that your tone has been most decidedly NOT positive from the get-go, then you made one quasi-positive post and expected the entire board to pivot with you, but... you know me!

Your need to control the narrative and control even the reactions of other posters is mind-blowing to me. Your need for approval and praise is unhealthy to say the least. But again, you know me.

You think I come on here for praise and approval?

When you look at the responses I typically get, do you really think that would make sense?

Honestly, I would have already left this site if I did not get PMs from people encouraging me. I still want to leave to be honest.

I could go years in the real world and not have as many people taking swipes at me that I have gotten in a day or two on here. Does that make me a snowflake or just a person that does not want to use limited precious free time to deal with people being ugly? Why would ANYONE want to use their free time doing this?

And if I was posting about how the party was awesome or this party stinks, I would expect the heat.

However, my posts on COVID have been very non-partisan. Outside of some foolish Republicans resisting mask mandates and some autocratic Democrats being a bit too excited about shutdowns, this is really not a partisan issue.
Post #: 1475
Page:   <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Covid 19 and those infected Page: <<   < prev  57 58 [59] 60 61   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode