Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 12:24:14 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm wondering, and maybe someone can offer an opinion here, is there a player or position of need that we've talked about that should be taken simply because the options are so poor after the first round? I'm assuming that we don't get a second round selection, or if we do it will be late in the round.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 226
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 12:30:01 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I'm wondering, and maybe someone can offer an opinion here, is there a player or position of need that we've talked about that should be taken simply because the options are so poor after the first round? I'm assuming that we don't get a second round selection, or if we do it will be late in the round.

I think it may be the one you identified: 3-Tech. If we need a starter there going into the draft, we'd better hope Barmore is available and he's all that.
Post #: 227
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 12:32:55 PM   
ratoppenheimer

maybe KC gives us a 2nd for reiff and a 4th....
i think we need to draft a lb more than a cb/te/wr....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 228
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 12:37:07 PM   
Bruce Johnson

This suggests that there will be a lot of options in the third round at guard:

https://walterfootball.com/draft2021OG.php

And this suggests that there will be a huge number of OT's available in the third round.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2021OT.php

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 2/8/2021 12:38:54 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 229
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 12:45:00 PM   
Bruce Johnson

This suggests there will be a fair number of defensive tackles available in the third round. However, some of the better prospects are bigger (ie. probably nose tackles) or lack pass rushing ability. Do you see it that way? I'm saying that there is more pressure to select in the first round based on what I'm seeing.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2021DT.php

And at DE I see some high enders that will go in the first round, but the pickings might get skinny by the third round. There will be projects there that can be developed and that has been what the Vikings like to do based on history. I'm thinking that if you want a starter you better get one in the first round.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2021DE.php

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 2/8/2021 12:48:52 PM >

Post #: 230
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 12:48:28 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

If we dump Barr, that could also be in play. Between our cap situation and our personnel deficiencies we've created a minefield of an offseason......
Post #: 231
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 12:51:21 PM   
Bruce Johnson

And at safety I'm not really seeing a player worthy of pick #14 for the Vikings. The need is great for them to find one in the third round or even later.

https://walterfootball.com/draft2021S.php

Post #: 232
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 1:01:22 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

This suggests there will be a fair number of defensive tackles available in the third round. However, some of the better prospects are bigger (ie. probably nose tackles) or lack pass rushing ability. Do you see it that way? I'm saying that there is more pressure to select in the first round based on what I'm seeing.

And at DE I see some high enders that will go in the first round, but the pickings might get skinny by the third round. There will be projects there that can be developed and that has been what the Vikings like to do based on history. I'm thinking that if you want a starter you better get one in the first round.

We saw what a good pass rush can do to an elite offense.

Get the stud DT at #14 and find a DE later.
Post #: 233
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 1:30:39 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

If we dump Barr, that could also be in play. Between our cap situation and our personnel deficiencies we've created a minefield of an offseason......

And besides Parsons there doesn't seem to be a LB worth a #14 pick.
Post #: 234
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 1:35:15 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

The Reiff to KC idea has some merit as Fischer likely won't be back next year. I'd say a 3rd for Reiff and x, but their 2nd will be very low.

Fisher will likely be headed to injured reserve with his Achilles injury, Osemele suffered tendon tears in both knees in the Chiefs' loss to the Las Vegas Raiders in Week 5, Schwartz made his final brief appearance of the season against the Bills in Week 6 as he battled a back injury, Wylie will likely kick out to right tackle leaving Wisniewski (who returned to the Chiefs mid-season after signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers last offseason) to step in at right guard, and Remmers will move from right tackle to the left side.
Post #: 235
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 2:02:40 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

This is what PFF says about Barmore in a recent mock draft, where he went 16th:

The Cardinals had seven different interior defenders play at least 150 defensive snaps last season, and the highest PFF grade from that group came courtesy of Corey Peters at 61.4. It should be a position that Arizona looks to upgrade, and Barmore is the clear-cut top interior defensive line prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Barmore showed in the playoff games against Notre Dame and Ohio State why that is the case. He produced five-plus pressures in both games and looked unblockable at times against two good offensive lines. From build to flexibility to hand usage, Barmore has the tools necessary to be an impressive pass-rusher at the next level.

Maybe he's the guy and he's available.

Don't get cute and try to trade down. Take him at #14. He had his way with experienced high end OLineman.

He looks better than the Iowa DT.

I see no reason to trade down whatsoever. They can seemingly stay put at 14 and get an elite OL, DT, DE, WR, TE, or CB, all of which they need/could make really good use of. That means they have to take care of some needs in FA, which will be a challenge. In addition to the above, they also need a safety and maybe a LB. They are a couple of years away, minimum, of being truly competitive at the highest level unless they have an extraordinary offseason and get lucky.

At 14 they are in the running for the top 1-3 at those positions. Wild guess, 2nd-3rd rated OL, DE, CB, WR, and highest rated DT.

This is my early take as well, with all the caveats.
Post #: 236
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 2:17:18 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

The Reiff to KC idea has some merit as Fischer likely won't be back next year. I'd say a 3rd for Reiff and x, but their 2nd will be very low.

Fisher will likely be headed to injured reserve with his Achilles injury, Osemele suffered tendon tears in both knees in the Chiefs' loss to the Las Vegas Raiders in Week 5, Schwartz made his final brief appearance of the season against the Bills in Week 6 as he battled a back injury, Wylie will likely kick out to right tackle leaving Wisniewski (who returned to the Chiefs mid-season after signing with the Pittsburgh Steelers last offseason) to step in at right guard, and Remmers will move from right tackle to the left side.

We got a 3rd for Ngokue. I can't imagine anyone giving up a 2nd or a 3rd for Reiff.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 237
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 2:25:47 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

We also saw what a good pass rush can do when guys are covered.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 238
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 2:27:36 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

Mahomes didn't have time to even look at his WRs before he was running for his life.
Post #: 239
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 2:33:44 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

quote:

We got a 3rd for Ngokue. I can't imagine anyone giving up a 2nd or a 3rd for Reiff.

Given that LT is maybe the most valuable position next to QB, Reiff had a good year, Fischer is likely not returning next year, AND the KC OL may have cost them a SB I can see a very low second for Reiff plus a pick.

The franchise and transition tag costs can help gauge what a position is worth, except for OL. Several years back the NFL combined OTs and the rest of the OL positions into "OL". It was great for guards and centers.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 2/8/2021 2:50:08 PM >
Post #: 240
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 2:37:15 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Mahomes didn't have time to even look at his WRs before he was running for his life.

Yeah. Many times it was a jailbreak.

TB defense very similar to their 1st SB team. Good at all levels. And they peaked at the right time.
Post #: 241
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 2:41:32 PM   
Bill Johanesen

sd

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 2/8/2021 2:49:49 PM >
Post #: 242
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 2:48:55 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah. Many times it was a jailbreak.

TB defense very similar to their 1st SB team. Good at all levels. And they peaked at the right time.

At the beginning of the telecast they showed the players and their rankings, I presume from PFF, along with the ranking of the unit. KC OL was ranked first, but should have been INC because of their injuries, most notably their LT being injured (achilles) two weeks earlier against Buffalo.

3 of the 5 positions had someone 'new' compared to when the playoffs started. The KC OL would have been victim to half the teams in the league. Although TB did good with a LB on Kelce which helped a lot.
Post #: 243
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 3:15:44 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He threw 49 passes. It's very challenging for a defense to cover guys when the play has broken down. They did a phenomenal job on the back end.

It's almost as if you guys haven't watched a Kansas City game all season. He's been running for his life all year. He's just really good at it so it rarely shows up in the stats. The difference yesterday ... guys were covered.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 2/8/2021 3:21:21 PM >

Post #: 244
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 3:21:07 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He threw 49 passes. It's very challenging for a defense to cover guys when the play has broken down. They did a phenomenal job on the back end.

It's almost as if you guys haven't watched a Kansas City game all season. He's been running for his life all year.

I think you're rewriting history to fit your own narrative.

I've never seen Mahomes more inaccurate than last night. And it wasn't because of coverage.

Dude looked like he was playing Tecmo bowl avoiding defenders until he could attempt throws that were even more off balance and forced than what he's normally capable of. I'm not sure he hot a single target in stride or even in a spot they didn't have to seriously adjust to.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 2/8/2021 3:23:38 PM >
Post #: 245
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 3:22:42 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's almost as if you guys haven't watched a Kansas City game all season. He's been running for his life all year.

He was sacked three-or-more times in five games this season. The kid is always on the run. He's not one to throw it into the stands like Brees or Wilson. He's always trying to make a play.

Post #: 246
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 3:26:12 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He was sacked three-or-more times in five games this season. The kid is always on the run. He's not one to throw it into the stands like Brees or Wilson. He's always trying to make a play.

He was sacked 22 times all year.

That's 23rd in the NFL.

He had a very good offensive line until the past few weeks where it was ravaged by injuries.

Mike Remmers was his starting LT...
Post #: 247
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 3:27:55 PM  1 votes
Phil Riewer

I would consider Byron Leftwich over Bieniemy if I was looking for a OC for a head coach.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 248
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 3:29:51 PM   
Phil Riewer

Rumor was that Mahomes had a bad Turf Toe so his mobility was somewhat hindered....they already planned offseason surgery on it.

The NFL Network's Ian Rapoport says sources are telling him that Mahomes will see a foot specialist for his turf toe injury. #Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes is expected to have surgery to repair his turf toe, sources say. But he'd like to win Super Bowl LV first. ... Turf toe is a sprain of the ligaments around the big toe.1 day ago

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 249
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 3:39:16 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Rumor was that Mahomes had a bad Turf Toe so his mobility was somewhat hindered....they already planned offseason surgery on it.

The NFL Network's Ian Rapoport says sources are telling him that Mahomes will see a foot specialist for his turf toe injury. #Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes is expected to have surgery to repair his turf toe, sources say. But he'd like to win Super Bowl LV first. ... Turf toe is a sprain of the ligaments around the big toe.1 day ago

Not a rumor. They mentioned it constantly during the game.
Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode