Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/6/2021 7:07:54 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

2016 draft.. reason all by itself to fire Spielman.

Passed on Derrick Henry to draft Treadwell.. then Mac Alexander rather than Cody Whitehair..

Then drafted willie beavers, with Dak Prescott sitting on the fourth round board..
Jimmy Jones new that Matt freakin Cassel and Tony Fumbles Romo were not a long term QB situation..

Spent a Fourth rounder on Prescott...

Completely out of spielmans mental wheelhouse.

Willie beavers... or Dak Prescott, when we had Sam Bradford backed up by Shaun hill..

Drafting for the future is an incomprehensible idea when your idea of good offense is 3 yards and a smear of carpet burns...

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 201
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/6/2021 9:06:54 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Pretty sure they will go with a veteran UFA at safety. Probably at guard too. Cut Reiff and Rudolph to help pay for their low to mid-tier contracts and help get out of the cap mess.

Cleveland to LT, sink or swim.

Draft DT and G. DE could be in the mix depending on Hunter.

And Pierce is still a questionmark.

The NFL has yet to announce the 2021 cap but it's projecting to be about 180ml. Might be an incoming fight between the owners and players union.

But I think cutting Reiff and Rudy would get us down close to that number. Further purging might be necessary in order to have some money to work with regarding any FA's.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 202
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/6/2021 9:09:03 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

2016 draft.. reason all by itself to fire Spielman.

Passed on Derrick Henry to draft Treadwell.. then Mac Alexander rather than Cody Whitehair..

Then drafted willie beavers, with Dak Prescott sitting on the fourth round board..
Jimmy Jones new that Matt freakin Cassel and Tony Fumbles Romo were not a long term QB situation..

Spent a Fourth rounder on Prescott...

Completely out of spielmans mental wheelhouse.

Willie beavers... or Dak Prescott, when we had Sam Bradford backed up by Shaun hill..

Drafting for the future is an incomprehensible idea when your idea of good offense is 3 yards and a smear of carpet burns...

Drafting Beavers really shines a light on both our scouting dept and Spielman being a mental midget.

Post #: 203
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/6/2021 9:12:52 AM   
Bill Jandro

Speaking of the 2021 cap. Seems like the NFL intends on dumping the brunt of the reduced cap onto the players in reduced salaries.

Billionaires vs the Millionaires coming to soon to a theatre near you.

Post #: 204
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/6/2021 10:06:04 AM   
bohumm

Speaking of 2021 cap, is Willie Beavers still available.....
Post #: 205
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/6/2021 10:25:35 AM   
bohumm

I would like to see the Vikings stay put, or even---gasp---move up a bit to get the best OL, DL, CB, or WR available. I would even be very interested in the TE from Florida if he's really all that. With all the QBs, we could be in position to snag a top-ten player in terms of talent. There could very well be a top-five player from our board who is within reach of a small trade-up, and they would be well served to grab real talent instead of the usual approach of waiting for whomever drops to them (got lucky with JJ) or trade back to get extra picks.

Hey Rick, if you want a second-rounder so bad, maybe don't spend your next one to rent a player for six games who doesn't fit with what your team does and you won't be able to resign anyway.
Post #: 206
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/6/2021 1:25:40 PM   
Bill Jandro

I think we should trade back 6 or so slots in rd 1. Sounds like Bama qb mac Jones is climbing in to the top half of rd 1 as well. If 5 qb's go be fore we pick there are going to be some real good players on the board yet. Could garner a king's ransom trading back and try and recoup that 2nd pick. Take 3T Barmore then use some coveted draft stock to move up a bit in rd 2 and get an NFL caliber LG. Then load up on DB's with remaining mid rd picks.

Post #: 207
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/6/2021 1:36:29 PM   
bohumm

Or get a better player higher. If the Vikings hope to fill all their holes in this draft, the game is already lost.
Post #: 208
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/6/2021 8:14:07 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

We are already at shit barrel lvl 14 crap shoot.. by all means. Let’s crawl further into the shit hole and give spielman a boner over more draft pennies..

Ffs..

For once take the best fn player.. preferably a quarterback that can think and move at the same time..because our QB situation is second only to offensive line in shitty..

Not Christian ponder, not case Keenum, not Kirk cousins, not Shaun hill, not Sam Bradford, not Tom ****ing dinosaur Brady, or some other teams worthless pos.. Drew Brees barfs to mind.

I F they stick with Zimmer ball, I’m gonna put myself in stasis until the super Mario brothers join the digital age.

Calvin cook is durable, considering he takes a beating, because of scheme.

Fn build the offensive line.

As has been said forever..

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 209
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/7/2021 7:59:12 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

I would like to see the Vikings stay put, or even---gasp---move up a bit to get the best OL, DL, CB, or WR available. I would even be very interested in the TE from Florida if he's really all that. With all the QBs, we could be in position to snag a top-ten player in terms of talent. There could very well be a top-five player from our board who is within reach of a small trade-up, and they would be well served to grab real talent instead of the usual approach of waiting for whomever drops to them (got lucky with JJ) or trade back to get extra picks.

Hey Rick, if you want a second-rounder so bad, maybe don't spend your next one to rent a player for six games who doesn't fit with what your team does and you won't be able to resign anyway.

I wouldn't be looking at a tight end. Irv Smith was just starting to get his legs under him at the end of the season. IMO, he will be a much bigger part of the offense in 2021.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 210
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/7/2021 9:40:34 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

I wouldn't be looking at a tight end. Irv Smith was just starting to get his legs under him at the end of the season. IMO, he will be a much bigger part of the offense in 2021.

I agree, but there is a transformational tight end in the draft. I doubt that he lasts until #14, but if he is still there you have to select him on the basis of best player available. It would be cool to have two stud tight ends and two stud wide receivers and one stud running back and just sit back and watch how the opposing defenses struggle to defend that.

Assuming he is gone, I wouldn't mind getting a blocking tight end later in the draft if he is really good at that one thing.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 211
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/7/2021 9:43:32 AM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

I think you mean Tyler Conklin was just getting his legs under him. I like Smith and Conklin, but I've seen smatterings that this kid would be a weapon on the level of Kelce and he blocks well also. If he's really all that, maybe the Vikings would actually use the TE aggressively. Many needs, many holes....this thing ain't moving to championship level overnight.
Post #: 212
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/7/2021 9:56:11 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think you mean Tyler Conklin was just getting his legs under him. I like Smith and Conklin, but I've seen smatterings that this kid would be a weapon on the level of Kelce and he blocks well also. If he's really all that, maybe the Vikings would actually use the TE aggressively. Many needs, many holes....this thing ain't moving to championship level overnight.

I don't think the lack of production at tight end has anything to do with the Vikings' tight ends. It has to do with the offensive game plan and a quarterback that isn't seeing them. Smith could be an elite tight end if they would just throw him the damned ball. The guy was only targeted 3.3 times-per-game this season. Travis Kelce was targeted 9.7.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 2/7/2021 9:58:40 AM >

Post #: 213
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/7/2021 9:58:27 AM   
Bruce Johnson

How would you all rank the needs of the Vikings going into the off-season?

Last year we had no pass rush (of course Hunter being out hurt) and then our young corners had to defend without the benefit of a pass rush. I would put that at the highest need, whether it comes from the edge or the 3 tech. In addition, it seemed that teams could run at will up the middle and wouldn't even get hit until five yards down field most of the time. Again, we missed Pierce, but a better run defender at the 3 tech would be a great need.

On offense our guards were historically bad- maybe the worst guards in NFL history and not even close. I mean they were really bad. Nevertheless, the offense still performed at a high level. Ordinarily teams do select guards later in the draft. So I am going to say the need is there and it's great, but the position value is much lower. On the other hand, Kirk Cousins is not a mobile quarterback and he was getting pressure from the inside and out. There was not a lot of time for him to throw and there was even less opportunity for him to escape, although he did run with the ball more this past season.

Safety is also a great need, assuming that Harris is not re-signed. Great defenses have great safeties and the team has no one penciled in to replace Harris as a starter.

Obviously there are more needs than high draft picks, but I'm going to say 3 tech is our greatest need because of both run and pass defense consequences followed by edge rusher, safety and then guards. The need level is so great in all of those positions though, that I would go for best player available for any of those positions. At pick number one I still think that will be an edge rusher.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 214
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/7/2021 9:59:30 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

How would you all rank the needs of the Vikings going into the off-season?

Last year we had no pass rush (of course Hunter being out hurt) and then our young corners had to defend without the benefit of a pass rush. I would put that at the highest need, whether it comes from the edge or the 3 tech. In addition, it seemed that teams could run at will up the middle and wouldn't even get hit until five yards down field most of the time. Again, we missed Pierce, but a better run defender at the 3 tech would be a great need.

On offense our guards were historically bad- maybe the worst guards in NFL history and not even close. I mean they were really bad. Nevertheless, the offense still performed at a high level. Ordinarily teams do select guards later in the draft. So I am going to say the need is there and it's great, but the position value is much lower. On the other hand, Kirk Cousins is not a mobile quarterback and he was getting pressure from the inside and out. There was not a lot of time for him to throw and there was even less opportunity for him to escape, although he did run with the ball more this past season.

Safety is also a great need, assuming that Harris is not re-signed. Great defenses have great safeties and the team has no one penciled in to replace Harris as a starter.

Obviously there are more needs than high draft picks, but I'm going to say 3 tech is our greatest need because of both run and pass defense consequences followed by edge rusher, safety and then guards. The need level is so great in all of those positions though, that I would go for best player available for any of those positions. At pick number one I still think that will be an edge rusher.

The defense was horrendous. Period. Kendricks was a stud. After he went down they were flat-out awful.

Post #: 215
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/7/2021 10:06:41 AM   
Brad H

When your defense gives up 29.7 points-per-game, you aren't going anywhere.

Post #: 216
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/7/2021 10:16:57 AM   
bohumm

There is going to be a stud available at 14; hopefully he matches our needs. I think you could easily make the case that 3-tech is the biggest need, as Bruce did. But the same could be said for CB and IOL. It doesn't seem there is a stud 3T at 14, but I don't really know. Barmore might be that guy. A stud edge or WR would also fit there, as well as non-needs like TE if the Florida kid falls and he's really all that. What I don't want to see is Rick turning our prime rib pick into a grilled cheese combo platter with utensils and a packet of instant oatmeal for tomorrow's breakfast thrown in. Pick the prime.
Post #: 217
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/7/2021 10:19:15 AM   
bohumm

This is what PFF says about Barmore in a recent mock draft, where he went 16th:

The Cardinals had seven different interior defenders play at least 150 defensive snaps last season, and the highest PFF grade from that group came courtesy of Corey Peters at 61.4. It should be a position that Arizona looks to upgrade, and Barmore is the clear-cut top interior defensive line prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Barmore showed in the playoff games against Notre Dame and Ohio State why that is the case. He produced five-plus pressures in both games and looked unblockable at times against two good offensive lines. From build to flexibility to hand usage, Barmore has the tools necessary to be an impressive pass-rusher at the next level.

Maybe he's the guy and he's available.
Post #: 218
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/7/2021 2:36:50 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

The Cardinals had seven different interior defenders play at least 150 defensive snaps last season, and the highest PFF grade from that group came courtesy of Corey Peters at 61.4. It should be a position that Arizona looks to upgrade, and Barmore is the clear-cut top interior defensive line prospect in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Barmore showed in the playoff games against Notre Dame and Ohio State why that is the case. He produced five-plus pressures in both games and looked unblockable at times against two good offensive lines. From build to flexibility to hand usage, Barmore has the tools necessary to be an impressive pass-rusher at the next level.

Don't get cute and try to trade down. Take him at #14. He had his way with experienced high end OLineman.

He looks better than the Iowa DT.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 2/7/2021 2:39:11 PM >
Post #: 219
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/7/2021 4:25:24 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Don't get cute and try to trade down. Take him at #14. He had his way with experienced high end OLineman.

I see no reason to trade down whatsoever. They can seemingly stay put at 14 and get an elite OL, DT, DE, WR, TE, or CB, all of which they need/could make really good use of. That means they have to take care of some needs in FA, which will be a challenge. In addition to the above, they also need a safety and maybe a LB. They are a couple of years away, minimum, of being truly competitive at the highest level unless they have an extraordinary offseason and get lucky.
Post #: 220
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/7/2021 5:38:07 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

I see no reason to trade down whatsoever. They can seemingly stay put at 14 and get an elite OL, DT, DE, WR, TE, or CB, all of which they need/could make really good use of. That means they have to take care of some needs in FA, which will be a challenge. In addition to the above, they also need a safety and maybe a LB. They are a couple of years away, minimum, of being truly competitive at the highest level unless they have an extraordinary offseason and get lucky.

There are going to be a lot of nice players in FA. Most teams have to trim a lot of fat.

Can we create room and are we an attractive destination? Not sure.
Post #: 221
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 10:48:50 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

At 14 they are in the running for the top 1-3 at those positions. Wild guess, 2nd-3rd rated OL, DE, CB, WR, and highest rated DT.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 2/8/2021 10:57:23 AM >
Post #: 222
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 10:55:50 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

There are going to be a lot of nice players in FA. Most teams have to trim a lot of fat.

Can we create room and are we an attractive destination? Not sure.

Not seeing the regime being able to sign any good UFA because of the cap mess we have. There will be renegotiations league-wide and when FA starts a lot of teams will be able to treat it as normal FA season. Meanwhile, we will be one of the teams that has to trim more fat than usual just to get to the projected cap of around $180M.

Our signees will be relabeled by the fans and the regime as vets/youngsters/etc who merely need a change of scenery, have "potential", and will be beneficiaries of our proverbial "good coaching".

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 2/8/2021 10:59:32 AM >
Post #: 223
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 11:06:11 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Absolutely no reason to trade down. Despite dropping from a mid second to a 3rd as a result of the Ngokue fiasco, the Vikings have six picks in the top 4 rounds and that's where I want all of those picks to stay. That's where you are add impact players. In fact they have two 5t a 6th and 7th to use in moving one of those 4th or 3rd round picks to a higher pick. None of that turning picks in the top 4 rounds into five 6th & 7th round picks.

< Message edited by TJSweens -- 2/8/2021 11:07:17 AM >

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 224
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/8/2021 12:20:19 PM   
Bill Johanesen

"So Rick, wow what was your thought process for all those trade downs in 2021."

"Yeah, it was exciting. We studied months and months for this. Unlike other teams, we quickly realized there wasn't a lot of game film on a lot of players. And as you know, the combine was canceled. So we figured let's double and triple down on our picks. The other big factor is there were hardly any draft magazines out because we like picking the players in the little boxes titles "Sleepers". There was still Mel's Top 5 that runs along the bottom of the tv like a ticker and we like that, but no, our philosophy is to trade down and own the later rounds. I just wish the draft was 12 or 20 rounds like back in the day."
Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode