Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 1/30/2021 4:09:17 PM   
Bruce Johnson

This is a very good article about the Vikings likely options for their first pick.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-2021-mock-draft-roundup-analyzing-expert-picks-14-rousseau

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 176
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 1/30/2021 5:52:17 PM   
marty

I like the idea of getting Slater, and then getting Sloter back.

I like the idea of keeping Cleveland at guard, unless they're pretty sure he'll be just as good at LT.

We don't want Sloter to be the next Weinicke.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 177
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 1/30/2021 5:53:44 PM   
marty

Rousseau looks like maybe another Griffen ? But on a couple of those highlights, someone else got there first, or at the same time.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 178
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 1/30/2021 9:44:11 PM   
Dana Turner

For me, if we don't trade down with the 14th pick, I'd want to go with the BPA (not a QB). If it's Chase, so be it or one of the DT's or edge guys, even DB, Im fine with it. I don't look at this team as being set at any position except QB and maybe TE. The 14th pick will be a very talented guy, especially if the top four QB's go early. Take the best talent possible at 14, then to for needs with the all the 3's and 4's we have. Somebody really good will be available, I'd hate to see us go for a late first round/second round O-line guy, just to get what may persevere as the biggest need. can't go wrong with solid talent and at 14, we should get that!
Post #: 179
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 1/31/2021 7:10:25 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Slater and Sloter?

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 180
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 1/31/2021 7:44:25 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

Slater and Sloter?

Sloter back to pass, he's buried! Looks like Slater got bull rushed.
Post #: 181
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 1/31/2021 9:33:39 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

What is the best fit, and do we want to continue with that OL philosophy? I'm tired of the little quick guys that get shoved back into Kirk's lap on every pass play and can't move the pile when we need a yard.

The reason I called him a potential fit is specifically because I read a couple of places that he can move in space and has the strength to hold his ground, as well as the fact that he has played both OG and LT. Of course, if that's all true, he may not last to our pick....

I think we all have to be realistic that Zimmer, Spielman, and the Wilfs aren't changing; they think they're doing a great job. So the best case is to let them maximize their expression of how to win, and that will either succeed and we'll all gladly credit them in the shadow of the Lombardi Trophy, or it will continue to come up short and they can all move the fukk on.

Well said.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 182
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 1/31/2021 10:29:09 PM   
marty

Lol.

Looks like Slater AND Sloter got slaughtered on that play.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 183
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 1/31/2021 10:52:32 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

For me, if we don't trade down with the 14th pick, I'd want to go with the BPA (not a QB). If it's Chase, so be it or one of the DT's or edge guys, even DB, Im fine with it. I don't look at this team as being set at any position except QB and maybe TE. The 14th pick will be a very talented guy, especially if the top four QB's go early. Take the best talent possible at 14, then to for needs with the all the 3's and 4's we have. Somebody really good will be available, I'd hate to see us go for a late first round/second round O-line guy, just to get what may persevere as the biggest need. can't go wrong with solid talent and at 14, we should get that!

If the TE from Florida is as good as some say, he may be worth considering.
Post #: 184
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/1/2021 2:12:25 PM   
Mark Anderson

Gopher Fans:

Iowa DT Daviyon Nixon a reach at #14?

Looks like a perfect 3Tech for us.
Post #: 185
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/1/2021 2:16:41 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Gopher Fans:

I believe he was a problem for the Gophers.

Post #: 186
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/1/2021 3:26:30 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Gopher Fans:

I believe he was a problem for the Gophers.

Yea Bruce, but the Gophers offensive line had difficulties with a lot of D-Line guys this year, it wasn't a good year for Minnesota's O-Line, that's for sure!
Post #: 187
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/4/2021 7:36:00 PM   
joejitsu

If we come away with a 3 tech and a starting guard, this draft will be a success. But, trader rick has not shown that he can judge good talent at either position.
Post #: 188
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/5/2021 5:19:23 AM   
marty

Linval Joseph was a good DL interior, but he must not have been a 3 tech, I don't exactly understand the terminology.

I think the Vikings stumbled into a really good Guard last year in Cleveland, if they don't move him to Tackle. If they do move him to LT, maybe they should draft another LT and move that player to Guard ?

I think Cleveland looks to be a total stud, and the OL could also be made to look better if you got a QB with a little mobility, or better pocket presence, a quicker release, and attacked the middle a little more, which you might get if they trade for Watson, Lawrence, or even Garrapollo.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 189
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/5/2021 7:52:15 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

Linval Joseph was a good DL interior, but he must not have been a 3 tech, I don't exactly understand the terminology.

I think the Vikings stumbled into a really good Guard last year in Cleveland, if they don't move him to Tackle. If they do move him to LT, maybe they should draft another LT and move that player to Guard ?

I think Cleveland looks to be a total stud, and the OL could also be made to look better if you got a QB with a little mobility, or better pocket presence, a quicker release, and attacked the middle a little more, which you might get if they trade for Watson, Lawrence, or even Garrapollo.

A nose tackle lines up directly on the center. Some people call it a 0 tech. He usually takes on the double team blocks of a center and a guard. That's why you want a bigger man for that position. I'm thinking that a lot of teams have both tackles line up directly on the guards. Someone reading this can correct me on this.

Post #: 190
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/5/2021 8:36:20 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Cleveland was not really good last year. He was less bad than the other options we tried at guard. He graded out near the bottom of the league, but still better than Dozier, Samia and Elf.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 191
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/5/2021 8:41:57 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

I think your overrating Cleveland a bit merely because of the trash that was out there before him and the performance of Dozier. Cleveland was ok in run blocking but not very good in pass pro. He was pushed around frequently and needs to work on holding his own at the POA.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 192
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/5/2021 9:13:35 AM   
bstinger

Cleveland should play at T. Last year was just an emergency.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 193
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/5/2021 10:59:56 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Way off. Cleveland is not a really good guard. And he doesn't need to be playing at guard.

Cleveland is an unknown tackle.
Post #: 194
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/5/2021 11:09:49 AM   
joejitsu

If we come out of this draft with two quality interior line players (one on d and one on o), it will be a good draft IMO. A good safety prospect would be a bonus.
Post #: 195
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/5/2021 11:41:46 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

If we come out of this draft with two quality interior line players (one on d and one on o), it will be a good draft IMO. A good safety prospect would be a bonus.

Agreed, but it will be tough. We lack low-grade starting caliber players at 4 positions on the current, signed roster: both OG spots, 3-tech, and safety. At safety we actually have no one other than Smith currently signed that has even played safety in an NFL game, and our best options are 7th rounders and UDFAs. Cleveland should be Plan C or later at OG; he needs to be developed as a tackle or it was a badly blown pick.

We have to add some of these starters in FA; how we do that given our cap situation I don't know. Rick needs to earn the contract he was recently gifted.....
Post #: 196
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/5/2021 11:46:15 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Agreed, but it will be tough. We lack low-grade starting caliber players at 4 positions on the current, signed roster: both OG spots, 3-tech, and safety. At safety we actually have no one other than Smith currently signed that has even played safety in an NFL game, and our best options are 7th rounders and UDFAs. Cleveland should be Plan C or later at OG; he needs to be developed as a tackle or it was a badly blown pick.

We have to add some of these starters in FA; how we do that given our cap situation I don't know. Rick needs to earn the contract he was recently gifted.....

Huh. I thought we had an abundance of low grade starting caliber players at those positions.
Post #: 197
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/5/2021 11:50:53 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Pretty sure they will go with a veteran UFA at safety. Probably at guard too. Cut Reiff and Rudolph to help pay for their low to mid-tier contracts and help get out of the cap mess.

Cleveland to LT, sink or swim.

Draft DT and G. DE could be in the mix depending on Hunter.

And Pierce is still a questionmark.
Post #: 198
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/5/2021 2:27:09 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Huh. I thought we had an abundance of low grade starting caliber players at those positions.

None are starting caliber, even low-grade starting caliber.
Post #: 199
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/5/2021 10:13:41 PM   
marty

I though Cleveland, in strong part because of his size, was a stud that made holes for Cook, holes that wouldn't be there if someone else were playing at that position.

Cleveland seems to have good size, it sounds like with what you guys are saying, that Vikes need a new OL coach.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 200
Page:   <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  6 7 [8] 9 10   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode