Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 8:54:03 AM   
Tom Sykes

I admit to a feeble understanding ...

but most teams aim for 10 OL on their 53 man roster. That number changes due to a lot of factors ... including versatility, injury history of starters, strength or injury history at other positions, etc.

On the 46 that dress for games, not all teams carry their full OL roster load. Hill can play RT (in theory) and LT so if you need to dress an extra LB because Barr is dinged, Hill allows you to drop a backup OT and add an extra LB.

The numbers are always in flux.

Every roster projection to start the season ... starts with 9-10, WRs 5-6 etc.

Often that number is determined by the quality of your backups.

My whole point has been ... the brain trust that are telling you they are high on Udoh and Hinton, are the same ones that were high on Samia and worse, started Dozier (Elflein etc).

Even if they were right - for once - why would you not go overboard on your OL given the limitations of your QB. The Chiefs have a mobile miracle worker at QB and they are signing and drating more OL than there are stars.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 5/3/2021 9:10:28 AM >
Post #: 2651
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 8:54:50 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

The people who liked the Kellen Mond pick are on drugs. The guy has no arm and did next to nothing in college. He will also set us back a year or two in looking for a QB because as a third round pick they will give him a chance to play when the Cousins era is over. It's TJack 2.0. Yippee.

If they wanted a QB they should have gotten one in the first round. The top four QB's are all going to do well. That's why we should have targeted. How many QB's drafted after the early second round actually make it? Cousins? Brady? Wilson? If they are not good enough to be first round picks at an over-drafted position then they most likely will never amount to a hill of beans.

I'd say half the people here actually like or LOVE the Mond pick. Stupid.

That's contradictory to EVERYTHING I've read about him or seen on the tapes. Stupid.

You think a new regime is going to hitch their wagon to a 3rd round QB if he hasn't shown something? Stupid.

Forget Prescott? Stupid.

You think there will be 100% success rate of the first 4 QBs? Stupid.

You will be disappointed. This review backs me up.

A ballyhooed four-star quarterback out of IMG Academy, Mond more or less met expectations as a four-year starter in the SEC. But for all his experience and opportunity, Mond never made a star-turn in College Station. Heading into the NFL, he looks more like a long-term backup than a future starter.

Mond directed a pro-style offense at A&M, a solid runner (1,609 career rushing yards) who managed the offense efficiently and took care of the ball (per PFF, Mond finished No. 18 in turnover-worthy play rate last year). He kept an offense moving that was generally rich in RB and OL talent but light on receivers (the only pass-catcher Mond has played with who got drafted is Jace Sternberger; Jhamon Ausbon has a chance to change that but is no sure thing to get picked this spring).

But Mond simply never improved enough as a thrower to comfortably project him as a potential starter at the next-level. Last year, per PFF, he finished lower than any prospect on this list that played more than one game by throwing an accurate ball on less than 50% of his passes beyond the line of scrimmage.

It’s not just a lack of accuracy. Mond’s arm is mediocre. He does his best to hide this weakness, playing a conservative brand of football and mostly avoiding the deep sector. Combine his throws beyond 20 yards downfield with his throws between 10-19 yards outside the numbers, and Mond went just 22-for-72 last year for 628 yards and a 7/2 TD/INT rate.

In the NFL, defenses will cheat up, knowing Mond can’t hurt them deep. They will also get after him, as Mond’s 68.8% completion percentage and 90.3 PFF grade from a clean pocket drop to 46.8% and 59.9, respectively, under pressure.

Mond feels like a potential long-term backup option for a team like Baltimore of Philadelphia, which already have systems in place that would play up some of his strengths while mitigating a few of his weaknesses. Mond’s accuracy and placement woes in conjunction with his inability to threaten deep not only figure to prevent him from becoming a long-term starter, but also limit his utility as a backup to teams that have already adapted their schemes to suit dual-threats with shaky accuracy.

Woo you found a scouting report that didn't like him. Chris Simms one of the best QB evaluators in the business loves him. I wanted Mills more at the time. However, lots of people like Mond better.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2652
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 8:56:53 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

The people who liked the Kellen Mond pick are on drugs. The guy has no arm and did next to nothing in college. He will also set us back a year or two in looking for a QB because as a third round pick they will give him a chance to play when the Cousins era is over. It's TJack 2.0. Yippee.

If they wanted a QB they should have gotten one in the first round. The top four QB's are all going to do well. That's why we should have targeted. How many QB's drafted after the early second round actually make it? Cousins? Brady? Wilson? If they are not good enough to be first round picks at an over-drafted position then they most likely will never amount to a hill of beans.

Shocking, you have a negative opinion... have you ever posted anything positive about anything the Vikings have ever done... in the history of history?

God forbid fans be positive in the most optimistic point in the year.

As far as "no arm"... watching his game film takes a couple of minutes to realize how wrong that is.

As far as done nothing...

"How many Texas A&M players were drafted other than Mond? Only one offensive player a guard in the 4th and two defensive players in the 4th. Despite having no major playmakers, Mond let them to a 8-1 record in the SEC"

3rd round QB is still a longshot... but the Russel Wilson/Dak Prescott qbs do happen.

Phil Simms & JT Sullivan who are 2 evaluators who have been pretty good at rating QB talent the last several years had him rated in the top 4.

Chris Simms unless his dad rates him #4 also.
Now I got to look for Phil Simms evaluation of Mond.
I searched the spiderweb and didn't find anything Phil Simms had to say about Mond.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/3/2021 9:09:24 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2653
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 9:03:44 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

What everyone seems to be dancing around, is the Vikings run a wide-zone blocking scheme, which prioritizes athleticism over bulk and power. Darrisaw may fit into that well enough, but Davis rep is more of a phone booth guy. Will there be tweaking of the scheme to fit Davis? How does that affect our incumbents? Or is Davis a better fit than advertised?

Everything I've read about Davis is he moves well. Maybe ones I haven't read question his mobility. I believe OSU uses the same zone blocking scheme we do.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2654
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 9:13:43 AM   
marty

I also wanted Davis Mills.

Mond looks good on clips, but I have seen very little of him, hopefully he can throw a deep pass. That was the thing I didn't see much of in Bridgewater's college film.

Let's hope the Vikes did their homework on this one, and or, got lucky.

< Message edited by marty -- 5/3/2021 9:15:23 AM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2655
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 9:19:44 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Phil with his 8 OL per team league Guess he's posting about arena football!

Vikings 2020 Roster:
https://www.nfl.com/teams/minnesota-vikings/roster

here is another link for 2020:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2020_roster.htm

Vikings 2019 Roster:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2019_roster.htm

Vikings 2018 Roster:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/min/2018_roster.htm

Again look at games...normally the Vikes have 8 active lineman per game which is clear by the games next to each lineman. This isn't just the Vikings that do this either. So is a roster construction of 10-11 lineman (excluding LS) make sense when you are sitting 3 lineman each game?

Also the Vikings were relatively healthy:
Reiff 15 games
Dozier 16 games
Bradbury 16
Cleveland 13
O'Neil 16
Elf 1
Hill 16
Jones 15
Samia 13

LMAO, "active" linemen now... when the debate was about roster spots! You are sneaky, but predictable as well.
Post #: 2656
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 9:21:34 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

but most teams aim for 10 OL on their 53 man roster. That number changes due to a lot of factors ... including versatility, injury history of starters, strength or injury history at other positions, etc.

On the 46 that dress for games, not all teams carry their full OL roster load. Hill can play RT (in theory) and LT so if you need to dress an extra LB because Barr is dinged, Hill allows you to drop a backup OT and add an extra LB.

My whole point has been ... the brain trust that are telling you they are high on Udoh and Hinton, are the same ones that were high on Samia and worse, started Dozier (Elflein etc).

Even if they were right - for once - why would you not go overboard on your OL given the limitations of your QB. The Chiefs have a mobile miracle worker at QB and they are signing and drating more OL than there are stars.

Absolutely. Most people get it.
Post #: 2657
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 9:51:31 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

Absolutely. Most people get it.

Not sneaky at all...look at the roster last year...they had 9 on the 53. You lose.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 2658
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 9:54:24 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Again...if you have a good stable of Oline at best or worse you dress 8. 11 for sure doesn't make sense. 10 would be the max. The Vikes had 9 last year at the end of the year mostly because Reiff was on the IR and they call up Mandel to sit out the last game.

The numbers are there.....Lakers lost last night so don't get caught up in Bill's antics.

When they have 90 roster spots for Pre Season they will hit Bill's numbers of 11-12.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 5/3/2021 9:59:20 AM >

Post #: 2659
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 9:57:44 AM   
Phil Riewer

So you dress 8 a game and have 9 on the roster last year, and a couple on the taxi squad (for worse case)....pretty sure that equals 8-9 on the active roster.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 5/3/2021 10:00:04 AM >

Post #: 2660
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 10:15:10 AM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Shocking, you have a negative opinion... have you ever posted anything positive about anything the Vikings have ever done... in the history of history?

As far as "no arm"... watching his game film takes a couple of minutes to realize how wrong that is.

"How many Texas A&M players were drafted other than Mond? Only one offensive player a guard in the 4th and two defensive players in the 4th. Despite having no major playmakers, Mond let them to a 8-1 record in the SEC"

3rd round QB is still a longshot... but the Russel Wilson/Dak Prescott qbs do happen.

Phil Simms & JT Sullivan who are 2 evaluators who have been pretty good at rating QB talent the last several years had him rated in the top 4.

I searched the spiderweb and didn't find anything Phil Simms had to say about Mond.

Ah correct... it is Chris... the old man(Phil) kept bugging Chris to check out Mond saying people were sleeping on him. (per Chris)
Post #: 2661
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 10:29:25 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Again...if you have a good stable of Oline at best or worse you dress 8. 11 for sure doesn't make sense. 10 would be the max. The Vikes had 9 last year at the end of the year mostly because Reiff was on the IR and they call up Mandel to sit out the last game.

The numbers are there.....Lakers lost last night so don't get caught up in Bill's antics.

When they have 90 roster spots for Pre Season they will hit Bill's numbers of 11-12.

There he goes again with "dressing" 8 as he found a way to try to back out of his narrative of teams only carrying 8-9 OL on the roster.
Post #: 2662
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 10:30:10 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

So you dress 8 a game and have 9 on the roster last year, and a couple on the taxi squad (for worse case)....pretty sure that equals 8-9 on the active roster.

"Dress" for the third time this morning. Nice backtrack to cover your ignorance. It's all fuzzy math for you!

Move the goalposts all you like chump, err champ.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 5/3/2021 10:33:34 AM >
Post #: 2663
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 10:30:47 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Don't be an imbecile.

8 OL. Amazing inability to grasp reality.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 5/3/2021 10:32:25 AM >
Post #: 2664
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 10:34:14 AM   
TJSweens

Chris Simms explains why Kellen Mond ranks ahead of Justin Fields, Trey Lance in 2021 NFL Draft

WRITTEN BY
JOE RIVERA

Chris Simms is back on the mound for Kellen Mond.

When Simms released his quarterback rankings for the 2021 NFL Draft, it featured many surprises — among them, neither Justin Fields nor Trevor Lawrence was the No. 1 overall QB in this class, with the honor going to BYU passer Zach Wilson.

But to further complicate the rankings, Simms had Texas A&M QB Kellen Mond at No. 4, ahead of both Fields and North Dakota State's Trey Lance, behind Wilson, Lawrence and Mac Jones.

Simms explained more of why he liked Mond over Fields and Lance on a recent radio spot with 106.7 The Fan in Washington.

"To me, some of the issues he has, which is really, 'OK, he doesn't play enough backyard football and maybe he wasn't aggressive enough two years ago with some of his decision-making,'" Simms said. "Those are easy fixes as compared to some of the issues that I look at with Justin Fields and Trey Lance."

Simms has explained in recent months that Mond's combination of mechanics and arm talent put him firmly ahead of both Fields and Lance, and that Mond's supporting cast was weaker than most QBs in the draft.

Simms, who has been known for his wonky-yet-accurate takes on NFL passers over the past few years, is out on his own on this: Analysts believe that Mond is a Day 2 prospect behind the aforementioned quarterbacks.

But the former NFL quarterback says he's not doing it for attention or "clicks" and is determined to land a job in the NFL in the future.

Well, if this Mond prediction pans out to be correct, then he might expect some calls from NFL teams in the coming seasons.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2665
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 10:36:10 AM   
Tom Sykes

Here are some future HOF UDFAs still out there.

I am sitting and watching our FO carefully to see if they are Phil-satisfied with how things stand

or, whether they are willing to push this offseason's plunder towards the zenith of all human endeavor.

OG Jared Hocker, Texas A&M – 6'6 327 3 year starter; big powerful mauler and violent striker; more of a phone booth type but is effective with lateral positioning and pulling across the formation to secure his target.

WR Austin Watkins, Alabama-Birmingham – 6'1 1/2 201 one Zierlein's hidden gems / former Packer James Jones thinks he's Anquan Boldin II; big physical explosive out of breaks; fearless in traffic; partitions off nosey corners.

TE Artayvious Lynn, TCU 6'5 254 ... former basketball player with extremely long arms = big catch radius; hands are nice and sticky; plays with quick pluck-and-tuck; decent wiggle; decent blocking on the move.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 5/3/2021 10:45:27 AM >
Post #: 2666
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 10:43:21 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Don't be an imbecile.

8 OL. Amazing inability to grasp reality.

Numbers are there 8-9; very first post. Lakers lost to Kings and Raptors. Go Pout somewhere else. Funny Bill gets into more scuffles then anyone....is wrong and starts calling people names because he is wrong.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 5/3/2021 10:44:36 AM >

Post #: 2667
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 10:53:43 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Mond looks good on clips, but I have seen very little of him, hopefully he can throw a deep pass. That was the thing I didn't see much of in Bridgewater's college film.

Heard an 'expert' on national talk radio talk a little about Mond, he was very interested in how he performs, said he was inconsistent but blames some of that on Jimbo Fisher, he said his offense is very complex and taxing on the QB. Said Mond should adjust well to NFL since Jimbo was his college coach.

Vikings could have taken Mills so obviously they think more highly of Mond but the Vikings also declared Ponder "the most NFL ready QB in the draft".
Post #: 2668
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 11:00:14 AM   
The Happy Norseman

Now that the draft is over it will be interesting to see which veterans get cut throughout the league. Hopefully, Spielman will keep an eye out for some deals as he appears to have filled all the holes the team had on offense and defense, but there is a lack of depth at several positions and question marks on special teams, especially who's going to return punts.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 2669
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 11:01:26 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

Heard an 'expert' on national talk radio talk a little about Mond, he was very interested in how he performs, said he was inconsistent but blames some of that on Jimbo Fisher, he said his offense is very complex and taxing on the QB. Said Mond should adjust well to NFL since Jimbo was his college coach.

Vikings could have taken Mills so obviously they think more highly of Mond but the Vikings also declared Ponder "the most NFL ready QB in the draft".

Lol Ponder. I actually thought maybe the Florida QB (Trask) that threw for 40 TDs would be a good pick....then I thought Ponder.

Ponder did have a few good games. Many thought Dalton would have been a better replacement but look at the Hell Cincy went thru with him.

Post #: 2670
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 11:01:30 AM   
marty

What kind if NFL job does Chris Simms want ?

QBs coach ? Whatever it is, the Vikings should hire him.

They certainly haven't done much with developing QBs, maybe Simms could improve that area ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 2671
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 11:02:13 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Ah correct... it is Chris... the old man(Phil) kept bugging Chris to check out Mond saying people were sleeping on him. (per Chris)

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2672
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 11:17:49 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

Also Mills has only played 11 college games due to injuries but was the top QB in that HS class. Mond is right there though.

Post #: 2673
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 11:26:57 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Here are some future HOF UDFAs still out there.

I am sitting and watching our FO carefully to see if they are Phil-satisfied with how things stand

or, whether they are willing to push this offseason's plunder towards the zenith of all human endeavor.

OG Jared Hocker, Texas A&M – 6'6 327 3 year starter; big powerful mauler and violent striker; more of a phone booth type but is effective with lateral positioning and pulling across the formation to secure his target.

WR Austin Watkins, Alabama-Birmingham – 6'1 1/2 201 one Zierlein's hidden gems / former Packer James Jones thinks he's Anquan Boldin II; big physical explosive out of breaks; fearless in traffic; partitions off nosey corners.

TE Artayvious Lynn, TCU 6'5 254 ... former basketball player with extremely long arms = big catch radius; hands are nice and sticky; plays with quick pluck-and-tuck; decent wiggle; decent blocking on the move.

I believe you are correct about some future HoF players being available. Not so sure if they are the ones you mentioned. I wonder what the ratio is of Drafted HoF players vs undrafted.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2674
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 5/3/2021 11:28:43 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

What kind if NFL job does Chris Simms want ?

QBs coach ? Whatever it is, the Vikings should hire him.

They certainly haven't done much with developing QBs, maybe Simms could improve that area ?

I don't think Chris could coach QBs. I think maybe his dad could.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2675
Page:   <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  105 106 [107] 108 109   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode