Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/18/2021 2:59:05 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

I've been doing a lot of PFF draft simulations the last couple of days. Sometimes with some very surprisingly good results. Sometimes kind of disappointing, but my grades are always B+ or B. Sometimes I pretty much stand pat and other times I trade a lot.

When I trade a lot, my general goal is to maximize picks in the top 100. I've gotten as many as 6 a couple of times. (6 in the top 78 once, with 5 after 135.)

I admit I don't know much about most of the players, so I'm relying on the PFF grade and description, size, position, school to try and make my picks.

Based on the PFF grades, two of our top areas of need (G, and DT) have 2 clear favorites, with quite a drop off after.

At DT, Barmore is ranked 14th, the next best is 47.
At G, Wyatt Davis is 35, the next best is 90. If you assume a C should be able to also play G, there are 2 options at 43 and 69. If we miss on those I think Kendrick Green from Illinois at 112 might work too.
I think Safety is also a top need, to replace Harris. There is one S with a 17 rank, and 5 Safeties between 42 and 68. Then there is the one I think I'd target ranked 81, Jamien Sherwood from Auburn.

I try to fill those 3 positions within my 1st 4 picks without reaching too much.

Our first 4 picks are at 14, 78, 90 and 119.

Barmore is ranked 14th by PFF, so he fits our pick by value and need. There have been a few times in the simulation where he's been gone by the time I picked, in which case I usually trade back and often end up with Surtain and the picks I need to get the G in the low 30's and the 2nd best DT in the 40's. There have been a few times I picked Barmore at 14 and a few times, I've been able to trade back and still get him.

A couple of times I ended up with both him, at the OSU G Wyatt Davis, but it takes some wheeling and dealing to get it done. If trader Rick could end up with the best DT and best G in the draft that would be a great outcome. Per the simulator, it's possible, and I didn't have to give away the draft to do it.

For receiver upgrade, I've looked for Jaelon Darden around 87 or Tutu Atwell around 113. Both smaller, quick, slot guys who would be an upgrade to Bebe. If I miss those there are a couple 6'4" receivers at 136 and 143 that might be worth a look for height mismatches.

One question about the PFF simulator. There are some settings they allow you to change that affect how the draft goes. Any idea what settings would yield the most realistic outcomes?

In my most recent simulation, Barmore was gone at 14, so I traded back twice and got a speed DE at 20. Traded up three times and got the highest ranked G I wanted at 33, and the 2nd best DT at 44, and the S I wanted at 81. Added a CB at 90 and Tutu as my slot WR at 98, had to overpay a little as the Chargers drove a hard bargain but I was afraid the team behind them would take him and I had the picks and most of my needs already met, so I paid them.

I rounded out the draft with depth at TE, LB, CB, and S. 10 picks total, 6 in the top 100 and all better than 173.

Thoughts?

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 326
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/18/2021 3:05:46 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

I've been doing a lot of PFF draft simulations the last couple of days. Sometimes with some very surprisingly good results. Sometimes kind of disappointing, but my grades are always B+ or B. Sometimes I pretty much stand pat and other times I trade a lot.

When I trade a lot, my general goal is to maximize picks in the top 100. I've gotten as many as 6 a couple of times. (6 in the top 78 once, with 5 after 135.)

I admit I don't know much about most of the players, so I'm relying on the PFF grade and description, size, position, school to try and make my picks.

Based on the PFF grades, two of our top areas of need (G, and DT) have 2 clear favorites, with quite a drop off after.

At G, Wyatt Davis is 35, the next best is 90. If you assume a C should be able to also play G, there are 2 options at 43 and 69. If we miss on those I think Kendrick Green from Illinois at 112 might work too.
I think Safety is also a top need, to replace Harris. There is one S with a 17 rank, and 5 Safeties between 42 and 68. Then there is the one I think I'd target ranked 81, Jamien Sherwood from Auburn.

I try to fill those 3 positions within my 1st 4 picks without reaching too much.

Barmore is ranked 14th by PFF, so he fits our pick by value and need. There have been a few times in the simulation where he's been gone by the time I picked, in which case I usually trade back and often end up with Surtain and the picks I need to get the G in the low 30's and the 2nd best DT in the 40's. There have been a few times I picked Barmore at 14 and a few times, I've been able to trade back and still get him.

A couple of times I ended up with both him, at the OSU G Wyatt Davis, but it takes some wheeling and dealing to get it done. If trader Rick could end up with the best DT and best G in the draft that would be a great outcome. Per the simulator, it's possible, and I didn't have to give away the draft to do it.

For receiver upgrade, I've looked for Jaelon Darden around 87 or Tutu Atwell around 113. Both smaller, quick, slot guys who would be an upgrade to Bebe. If I miss those there are a couple 6'4" receivers at 136 and 143 that might be worth a look for height mismatches.

One question about the PFF simulator. There are some settings they allow you to change that affect how the draft goes. Any idea what settings would yield the most realistic outcomes?

In my most recent simulation, Barmore was gone at 14, so I traded back twice and got a speed DE at 20. Traded up three times and got the highest ranked G I wanted at 33, and the 2nd best DT at 44, and the S I wanted at 81. Added a CB at 90 and Tutu as my slot WR at 98, had to overpay a little as the Chargers drove a hard bargain but I was afraid the team behind them would take him and I had the picks and most of my needs already met, so I paid them.

I rounded out the draft with depth at TE, LB, CB, and S. 10 picks total, 6 in the top 100 and all better than 173.

Thoughts?

Thumbnail Image

You obviously thought about this way more than I. Kinda fun though. Beats talking about Ted Cruz all day.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 327
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/18/2021 3:33:43 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

Thoughts?

Thumbnail Image

You obviously thought about this way more than I. Kinda fun though. Beats talking about Ted Cruz all day.

It is fun, I've been through it probably 8 times in the last 2 days. I just wish I had better intel on the players. I'm not subscribing to get it.

--twinsfan
Post #: 328
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/18/2021 4:27:14 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thoughts?

Thumbnail Image

It is fun, I've been through it probably 8 times in the last 2 days. I just wish I had better intel on the players. I'm not subscribing to get it.

Wow...you two put way more into the draft then I do....lol.

I like the work.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 329
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/18/2021 4:44:09 PM  2 votes
Bruce Johnson

I'm not a fan of the mock drafts. I wish everyone would spend 10% of the time they are spending now after the draft analyzing the results.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 330
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/18/2021 7:50:19 PM  1 votes
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

The last time we took a wr when didn't have the need we went 15-1

Pretty sure we didn't need KJ Osborne in the 5th round last season and we went 7-9.

I was referring to 1998.

Who is KJ Osborn?

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 331
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/18/2021 9:41:09 PM   
Zoilo

If I was running the draft, I would try to acquire the first picks in round 2 and round 4. That would give you the first picks on day 2 and day 3 and put you in a great position to acquire some additional picks in rounds 2 and 3.
I think you could get a good DE pick (Michigan's Kwitty Paye) with the 21st pick, so if they trade down from 14 for picks 21, 33 (top of round 2, and 97 or whatever pick tops round 4), you could end up getting a couple of picks in rounds 2 and 4 to go with their current two picks in round 3. According to the NFL trade value chart, the team should be able to get the 21 pick, the 33 pick and the 97 pick by giving up picks 14, 78, 90 and 120. That would give the Vikes 5 of the top 100 picks. (DE, S, G, QB, WR)
The good thing about picks 33 and 97 is that there will be teams that will overpay to get them so that they can be assured of getting the player they wand when they are starting the picking on Friday and Saturday.
The Vikings could make it work by trading with the Jax who currently have the top picks in rounds 2 and 3.
With some compensatory picks coming in after round 3, the actual # for the top of round 4 would probably be closer to 107.
It would be great to get 3 starters out of this draft - DE, S, and G.

Any thoughts?

Z
Post #: 332
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/18/2021 9:50:14 PM   
bstinger

quote:

This draft didn't go according to plan most of the way. Kept getting snipped. Players I wanted were getting drafted well above their ranking.

I did get the best S on the board in the 1st, 2nd best DT, an edge ranked 38 at 54, and basically got good value throughout. Got the 3rd best G at 110. Added a QB to groom late in the 3rd. My biggest disappointment was not getting a better WR. Improved D dramatically on paper.

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

--twinsfan
Post #: 333
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/18/2021 9:54:22 PM   
Zoilo

DE - Kwitty Paye, Michigan
S - Trevon Moehrig, TCU
G- Aaron Banks, Notre Dame

Z
Post #: 334
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/18/2021 10:31:01 PM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zoilo

If I was running the draft, I would try to acquire the first picks in round 2 and round 4. That would give you the first picks on day 2 and day 3 and put you in a great position to acquire some additional picks in rounds 2 and 3.
I think you could get a good DE pick (Michigan's Kwitty Paye) with the 21st pick, so if they trade down from 14 for picks 21, 33 (top of round 2, and 97 or whatever pick tops round 4), you could end up getting a couple of picks in rounds 2 and 4 to go with their current two picks in round 3. According to the NFL trade value chart, the team should be able to get the 21 pick, the 33 pick and the 97 pick by giving up picks 14, 78, 90 and 120. That would give the Vikes 5 of the top 100 picks. (DE, S, G, QB, WR)
The good thing about picks 33 and 97 is that there will be teams that will overpay to get them so that they can be assured of getting the player they wand when they are starting the picking on Friday and Saturday.
The Vikings could make it work by trading with the Jax who currently have the top picks in rounds 2 and 3.
With some compensatory picks coming in after round 3, the actual # for the top of round 4 would probably be closer to 107.

Any thoughts?

Depending on the health and contract status of Hunter, I think DT is a slightly bigger need than DE, but in some of my mock draft where I miss on Barmore, I have taken a DE early because the value was there, per PFF ratings.

In my mock drafts, Paye has always been gone before 21, usually by 14.

Help me out with the math here, not sure how you are seeing 5 of the top 100 picks if you give up 14, 78, 90, and 120 and only get 21,33 and 97.

It sucks that we're missing our 2nd, but with a trade back or two in the 1st we can add a lot of capital. To get the best trade backs, we'll need someone to draft a player outside of expectation. Having a valued player fall will drive demand. I've had it happen maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the time on my drafts. The keys will be how much they value Barmore vs McNeil at DT. How much they value Davis at G, who could go at the end of the 1st or first few picks of the 2nd, vs the next best option. It's unlikely we get both, although I have a couple of times. Safeties are more plentiful in the top 100 players so I've taken them scattered throughout the top 3 rounds depending on how the draft falls.

DE and WR secondary needs that I've had to draft for value when the other positions aren't available.

LB, TE, a second G/C and S are tertiary needs.

--twinsfan
Post #: 335
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/18/2021 10:45:07 PM   
bstinger

quote:

DE - Kwitty Paye, Michigan
S - Trevon Moehrig, TCU
G- Aaron Banks, Notre Dame

11- Kwitty
14- Trevon
Not Listed on PFF - Aaron

Are you only drafting 3?

You'll probably have to trade up to Get Kwitty. After you trade away 14 and probably 78 to get 11, you won't likely get back in the 1st round with all the rest of our picks.

For Banks, I did find a site that projected him in the 4th, going as high as 93, with an average of 128. Funny PFF doesn't list him. Still if you pull off Paye and Moehrig, you won't likely have any picks left for Banks or anyone else.

--twinsfan
Post #: 336
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/18/2021 10:53:00 PM   
bstinger

Pre draft trade:

I got Jacksonville to part with 25, 33, 45 and 65 for 14, 78, 90, and 119

I know there are multiple charts out there, but the one I looked at had me getting 2015 pts to there 1496. I think that is a good deal.

Looking forward to see who I can get with these picks. Barmore probably out of reach, but I did get him in the 20's once or twice, might trade up if he drops.

--twinsfan
Post #: 337
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/18/2021 11:25:56 PM   
bstinger

quote:

Pre draft trade:

I know there are multiple charts out there, but the one I looked at had me getting 2015 pts to there 1496. I think that is a good deal.

Looking forward to see who I can get with these picks. Barmore probably out of reach, but I did get him in the 20's once or twice, might trade up if he drops.

Draft didn't fall my way for the most part after the trade.

I did get the best CB at 25 and the 2nd best DE at 33, so tremendous value there. I got the best G at 35. I got a LB graded 45 at 65 and a DT graded 76 at 86. A WR graded 83 at 107, a saftey graded 148 at 158 and C graded 141 at 172.

Only 8 picks in this draft, the least of all my attempts, but I got good value based on the grades throughout the draft and addressed all the major needs. Would like to have gotten a better S and possibly 2, but the guy I liked in the 80's went at 62.

BTW, I think the letter grades the system assigns suck.

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by bstinger -- 2/19/2021 7:18:27 AM >

--twinsfan
Post #: 338
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 7:26:52 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Barmore is ranked 14th by PFF, so he fits our pick by value and need. There have been a few times in the simulation where he's been gone by the time I picked, in which case I usually trade back and often end up with Surtain and the picks I need to get the G in the low 30's and the 2nd best DT in the 40's.

Based on these mocks, that is amazing. Where does PFF rank Surtain?
Post #: 339
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 7:30:44 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Pre draft trade:

Draft didn't fall my way for the most part after the trade.

I did get the best CB at 25 and the 2nd best DE at 33, so tremendous value there. I got the best G at 35. I got a LB graded 45 at 65 and a DT graded 76 at 86. A WR graded 83 at 107, a saftey graded 148 at 158 and C graded 141 at 172.

Only 8 picks in this draft, the least of all my attempts, but I got good value based on the grades throughout the draft and addressed all the major needs. Would like to have gotten a better S and possibly 2, but the guy I liked in the 80's went at 62.

BTW, I think the letter grades the system assigns suck.

Thumbnail Image

Those first three picks alone would give us a A grade. Of course the grades are meaningless until a few years in, but I like the idea of trading down in your example here to get those players.
Post #: 340
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 7:36:07 AM   
Bill Johanesen

However, not keen on a player who is part of a stacked position. If Ohio St. had a solid OL, did Davis benefit? That could partly explain Samia. Or in a twist, did Oweh benefit from just the threat of Parsons blitzing?
Post #: 341
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 7:49:33 AM   
bstinger

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

Barmore is ranked 14th by PFF, so he fits our pick by value and need. There have been a few times in the simulation where he's been gone by the time I picked, in which case I usually trade back and often end up with Surtain and the picks I need to get the G in the low 30's and the 2nd best DT in the 40's.

Based on these mocks, that is amazing. Where does PFF rank Surtain?

16, but he's fallen lower than that quite often.

--twinsfan
Post #: 342
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 8:22:45 AM   
Brad H

Had some fun with it and decided just to take the top Alabama player at every pick. Ran out after fifth pick and went to Ohio State. Ran out on the last pick and drafted the top Georgia guy. B- Grade

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

Post #: 343
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 8:32:32 AM   
Brad H

Just did the same, taking the top Bama, Ohio State or Clemson guy on the board. B- Grade

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

Post #: 344
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 8:41:26 AM   
Brad H

Just did it taking only the top offensive or defensive lineman on the board. We're now loaded in the trenches. B Grade

Two Northern Iowa guys? Who knew?

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

Post #: 345
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 8:54:26 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

Just did it taking only the top offensive or defensive lineman on the board. We're now loaded in the trenches. B Grade

Thumbnail Image

It looked pretty good until you drafted the 3 guys in a row with ED. I didn't think they even checked for that at the combine.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 346
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 8:56:07 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

If I was running the draft, I would try to acquire the first picks in round 2 and round 4.
That would give you the first picks on day 2 and day 3 and put you in a great position to acquire some additional picks in rounds 2 and 3.

Any thoughts?

The last few years it seems that teams haven't been able to get a big haul for those 1st of the day picks. They have just made the selection.

Maybe if QB Mac Jones didn't get drafted Day 1, you could get some people bidding for the pick(#33). But, more than likely, teams would trade back into the end of Round 1 to get the extra year on the contract.
Post #: 347
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 8:56:40 AM   
Brad H

Just took the top SEC player with every pick (no matter the position). B Grade

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

Post #: 348
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 8:57:57 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

Thumbnail Image

It looked pretty good until you drafted the 3 guys in a row with ED. I didn't think they even checked for that at the combine.

Just how it played out.

Post #: 349
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 2/19/2021 9:11:02 AM   
bstinger

OK, Brad's having fun building nonsensical rosters based on schools or conferences or position groups.

Anyone want to try and build a draft that fills out our needs?

--twinsfan
Post #: 350
Page:   <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  12 13 [14] 15 16   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode