Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:10:00 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

O'Neill came into camp and turned heads right away. He forced his way into the lineup within a couple of games and never looked back.

More false equivalence.

O'Neill had a RT spot essentially waiting for him. Cleveland was not going to beat out Reiff as everyone understood he needed to gain strength.

AND O'Neill was not dumped into paying LG.

No he didn't. They were even having the same discussions as to whether he should play guard or tackle. If RT was waiting for him, then Hill wouldn't have been the starter to begin the season.

Point being O'Neill just needed to gain strength and he was going to play tackle.

There were no serious discussions about O'Neill playing G outside of him getting some experience there. Stop making up shit.

Making shit up? How Trumpian of you. Falsely accuse me of the thing you are doing yourself.

I don't know how you try to save face on your lack of understanding the issue since you've quadrupled down. Maybe go on an extended lunch or vacation.

There is no need to save face here Bill. You haven't made a cogent point in this whole discussion. If you want to believe that last year was a precursor to Cleveland having a 10 year run as an All Pro LT, knock yourself out.

Re bold, knew that was coming. Which of course is your standard made up stuff.

But yeah, you go on believing he is suitable (attributes, experience) for guard.
Post #: 526
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:11:02 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

Had the physical attributes? Like I said, a lack of understanding.

6'6 / 311 pounds. Has the athleticism and footwork to pull and get to the next level of the defense. What am I missing. Your complete and utter lack of comprehension makes me wonder if you played the position without a helmet.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 527
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:12:23 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

Cleveland's situation would be like starting Hunter midway into in his rookie year at right DT.

Ah, he didn't do well at DT so expect more of the same if we move him to DE, nevermind DE is his natural position and he has experience there

No, that really isn't a good analogy at all. Downright lousy in fact. Cleveland had the size and physical attributes to play G. Hunter would have about 60 pounds underweight to play DT in his rookie year.

So you're saying that Cleveland has the physical tools to not get bullrushed by big DTs?

We could go a little further and make the claim that I have the physical tools to play G at the NFL level. I mean what do you have to be able to do? Get down into a 3 point stance? I can do that.
Post #: 528
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:15:23 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

Cleveland's situation would be like starting Hunter midway into in his rookie year at right DT.

Ah, he didn't do well at DT so expect more of the same if we move him to DE, nevermind DE is his natural position and he has experience there

No, that really isn't a good analogy at all. Downright lousy in fact. Cleveland had the size and physical attributes to play G. Hunter would have about 60 pounds underweight to play DT in his rookie year.

So you're saying that Cleveland has the physical tools to not get bullrushed by big DTs?

We could go a little further and make the claim that I have the physical tools to play G at the NFL level. I mean what do you have to be able to do? Get down into a 3 point stance? I can do that.

I am saying that he had enough tools to be better than the bottom 4 pass blockers at his position in the league.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 529
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:16:43 PM   
Bill Johanesen

I love this new position flexibility. Sweenflexing if you will.

Requirements:
- Work as the number three guy at that position from "day one" even if practices are cut back and preseason games are canceled.
- Weigh over 300 pounds.
Post #: 530
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:17:57 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

6'6 / 311 pounds. Has the athleticism and footwork to pull and get to the next level of the defense. What am I missing. Your complete and utter lack of comprehension makes me wonder if you played the position without a helmet.

There you go. Sweenflexibility requirement 2 of 2: weigh over 300 lbs!
Post #: 531
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:18:41 PM   
David Levine

When you're in Hollywood and you're a comedian, everybody wants you to do other things. All right, you're a stand-up comedian, can you write us a script? That's not fair. That's like if I worked hard to become a cook, and I'm a really good cook, they'd say, "OK, you're a cook. Can you farm?"

--Mitch Hedberg
Post #: 532
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:20:34 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

In Sweenflexibility there are no "big DTs" and they certainly don't bullrush Cleveland to take advantage of his high center of gravity. No, the SOB sucked at RG so there is no indication he won't suck at LT.
Post #: 533
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:22:15 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Hovan to DE!
Post #: 534
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:22:23 PM   
Phil Riewer

So...some Twitter rubes were talking about bringing back Easton to play guard after NO cap issues and him being cut.....thoughts?

59.6 Overall Grade....(PFF)

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/11/2021 12:23:33 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 535
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:23:21 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

The strength needed to hold up at the POA.

Weight distribution is more important than actual weight. Ezra is a "skinny" 311.
Post #: 536
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:29:06 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

In Sweenflexibility there are no "big DTs" and they certainly don't bullrush Cleveland to take advantage of his high center of gravity. No, the SOB sucked at RG so there is no indication he won't suck at LT.

This supposed to say LG?

There's certainly the possibility that with another year of coaching (hahah that's my own little joke), improved technique (he had never played G before TC) and strength training/adding weight he could be effective or even good as a G. But it's certainly far from guaranteed (see our coaching).

His Guard performance did show, imo, that he could be a LT and develop along the path of ONeil (ave or above ave). His run blocking showed his athleticism, and he would be dealing with a defensive player that weighs about 50 lbs less.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 537
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:31:34 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Here is Sweeney's original post on the subject:
He was 36th out of 40 RG in pass blocking. That doesn't exactly inspire me to move him to LT where he will face the other team's best pass rusher most games.

And his most recent post:
Has the athleticism and footwork to pull and get to the next level of the defense.

So apparently the problem is Ezra is supposed to pass block but instead his footwork ends up taking him to the next level of defense. It's not surprising he didn't pass block well at guard. In fact, he may have been flagged a lot for illegal man downfield.

Actually what happened is Sweens moved the goalposts in a vain and very misguided attempt to highlight Ezra's attributes for pass blocking at guard.
Post #: 538
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:34:42 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

With Reiff gone an OT has to be a consideration at 14.

The #Vikings watched Rashawn Slater's Pro Day and cut Riley Reiff one day later. Just sayin'......

(Daniel House on Twitter)

You're trying to apply logic here and that has no place in determining how Spielman will addresses the O-line.

True! But, in the event the Trader sees the light and goes with logic, would that mean that Ezra takes over the lt spot? That's a lot of youth on the left side of the line.

I'm still skeptical of Ezra taking over anywhere. He was 36th out of 40 RG in pass blocking. That doesn't exactly inspire me to move him to LT where he will face the other team's best pass rusher most games. On the other hand, it doesn't inspire me to leave him at RG either.

If you draft a LT in the 2nd round you have to play him at LT - especially when you just released your starting LT. The Vikings are possibly about to out-smart themselves again.

That may be the plan, but based on performance, it isn't necessarily a good one. Just sayin.

I don't think that you can equate failure at RG with failure at LT. Two totally different skill sets. From what I know about him, he's a tall/long athletic guy with good feet. That should fare better against DE's than DT's. He didn't have the "anchor" to battle DT's. Just my .02.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 539
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:35:47 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

So...some Twitter rubes were talking about bringing back Easton to play guard after NO cap issues and him being cut.....thoughts?

59.6 Overall Grade....(PFF)

If we bring Easton in, it will be for depth at tackle. Sign that little fire hydrant.
Post #: 540
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:39:11 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

This supposed to say LG?

There's certainly the possibility that with another year of coaching (hahah that's my own little joke), improved technique (he had never played G before TC) and strength training/adding weight he could be effective or even good as a G. But it's certainly far from guaranteed (see our coaching).

His Guard performance did show, imo, that he could be a LT and develop along the path of ONeil (ave or above ave). His run blocking showed his athleticism, and he would be dealing with a defensive player that weighs about 50 lbs less.

LG has nothing to do with this.
Post #: 541
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:51:02 PM   
Pager

So there's no indication that he won't suck at LT??

Other than him being rated by quite a few scouts as a first round LT? His draft profile? His RAS https://relativeathleticscores.com/2020/02/09/ezra-cleveland-ras/?

A RAS of 9.92!!

Ok

< Message edited by Pager -- 3/11/2021 12:52:20 PM >

Post #: 542
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:52:54 PM   
Bill Johanesen

It's possible that since Ezra was a second round pick and Spielman treats 2nd round draft slots like #2 bathroom nomenclature, Ezra will end up like a nomad searching for ANY OL spot as well as TE!

It's possible Ezra could pan out at G.

It's possible Ezra could fail at LT or RT.

Etc.

But I believe they drafted him to play OT, he was an OT in waiting forced into a non-sensical role at RG, but has now been told to focus on LT. I don't think they will shift O'Neill and shift Ezra from his collegiate spot.

Wasn't a big fan of the pick, but can see how they may have wanted to stay with the O'Neill model.
Post #: 543
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:53:51 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Other than him being rated by quite a few scouts as a first round LT? His draft profile? His RAS https://relativeathleticscores.com/2020/02/09/ezra-cleveland-ras/?

A RAS of 9.92!!

Ok

You are late to the party. That is essentially Sweeney's take. Go back and read.
Post #: 544
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:54:49 PM   
Pager

I'm with David - he never should have been moved from LT. And as I advocated prior to the season, I would have cut/traded Reiff and gone for guard help and let Ezra take his lumps at LT.

Post #: 545
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 12:55:40 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

A RAS of 9.92!!

Ok

You are late to the party. That is essentially Sweeney's take. Go back and read.

Don't need to. If your take is there is no indication that he won't suck at LT, you are wrong.

Post #: 546
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 1:02:20 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

A RAS of 9.92!!

Ok

Don't need to. If your take is there is no indication that he won't suck at LT, you are wrong.

That's not his take. Its Sweens'

You misread Bill's post.
Post #: 547
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 1:18:00 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Next up: a johnnie come lately poster taking issue with my post about signing Easton for a tackle position.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 3/11/2021 1:24:44 PM >
Post #: 548
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 1:27:35 PM   
marty

David L.

GREAT use of a qoute, from a GREAT Minnesota comedian, Mitch Hedburg.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 549
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 3/11/2021 1:36:28 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Be careful trumpeting a RAS of 9.92!

After all, I said zero about Cleveland's possible success at LT yet got this from Sweeney: "If you want to believe that last year was a precursor to Cleveland having a 10 year run as an All Pro LT, knock yourself out." Oh, the last year part makes no sense either.

Reporting a RAS of 9.92 could lead to him putting words in your mouth about proclaiming Cleveland a sure fire Hall of Famer.
Post #: 550
Page:   <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  20 21 [22] 23 24   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode