Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NFL Draft 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 12:04:12 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

NFL GM's with longest tenures...

A couple are owners so you can't count those.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2020/05/longest-tenured-gms-in-the-nfl

I think Spielman is the only one in the top 10 who doesn't have at least one Superbowl appearance.

I am tired of being told how good he is. After damn near a decade it should be obvious (via Super Bowl appearances) and it isn't.
Post #: 1051
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 12:24:22 PM   
Pauldiercks1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

I disagree on Spielman not taking a QB.
I do not think Lance falls to the Vikings, however, I would expect us to take him if he did fall or even trade up a couple spots for him.
I think Zimmer and Spielman would both be ok with that. Spielman is well regarded and hopefully has the confidence to look at the future of the team.

I would hope that they both have the confidence to realize short sighted thinking is the the quickest way to end up getting replaced. A young QB on a rookie contract may be the best way to get the salary cap in shape for another run.
Lance could fall for a number of reasons but not to 14. If he makes it to around 10, I would not be at all surprised to see us try to go get him. For the team it is the right thing to do. If the FO doesn't have any confidence in their ability and security with the organization, they are already done.

If it happens, do you start him? I do.

Possibly sure. I guess I would see how far along he is. If the team is not viewed as a top team by mid season then absolutely. Not a huge deal to me other than we get him prepared mentally for season two and at least get him a few games of actual live action so he understands the speed of the game.
Post #: 1052
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 12:34:46 PM   
bohumm

If this regime takes a QB they should be shit-canned because they've embraced mediocracy-plus as their MO with the hope to catch lightening in a bottle. If they take a QB in Round 1 this year, it is an extension of the thinking that led to the Ngokwe blunder: a misreading of how good the team actually is or isn't and action based on the faulty premise. If you want to trade up for a QB now, you should have been tearing down and and not extending Kirk.
Post #: 1053
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 12:37:25 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

I do not think Lance falls to the Vikings, however, I would expect us to take him if he did fall or even trade up a couple spots for him.
I think Zimmer and Spielman would both be ok with that. Spielman is well regarded and hopefully has the confidence to look at the future of the team.

I would hope that they both have the confidence to realize short sighted thinking is the the quickest way to end up getting replaced. A young QB on a rookie contract may be the best way to get the salary cap in shape for another run.
Lance could fall for a number of reasons but not to 14. If he makes it to around 10, I would not be at all surprised to see us try to go get him. For the team it is the right thing to do. If the FO doesn't have any confidence in their ability and security with the organization, they are already done.

Who do you start after he's mauled by opposing DLs for the first six weeks and then his leg snaps in half?

Something tells me the offensive line would improve dramatically with the kid back there because, unlike Cousins, he doesn't run like a glacier.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1054
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 12:44:00 PM   
Pauldiercks1

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who do you start after he's mauled by opposing DLs for the first six weeks and then his leg snaps in half?

Something tells me the offensive line would improve dramatically with the kid back there because, unlike Cousins, he doesn't run like a glacier.

He's young, fast, bendy, and athletic. Those are lessons for a young QB in his first season. Hopefully we would still address the offensive line in some form to assist with that
Post #: 1055
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 1:40:07 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Not opposed to QB, but have reservations about Lance. Small school + limited number of games. Athleticism is good and it an essential trait in this era, but other QB traits are more important.

Good with Slater at #14 for guard, or trade down a few spots and take Aloe Vera. Also good with some avenue to get a pair of picks in the 25-40 range and take for example Wyatt Davis and Leatherwood.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 4/22/2021 1:42:35 PM >
Post #: 1056
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 1:44:13 PM   
bohumm

Reminder: Last year, the OL was horrendous; it is currently dramatically worse than it was last year. Lamar Houdini gets broken in two eventually behind this OL plus late picks and/or street free agents.
Post #: 1057
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 1:53:11 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

I would not take the Alabama QB at #14. I would be inclined to take any of the others unless I got a serious offer from a team behind us.

I would take the Bama QB at 14. IMO Best QB/player in the draft.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 4/22/2021 2:01:15 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1058
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 2:00:18 PM   
kgdabom

My latest Vikings draft using the PFF Draft Simulator.

Mac JonesQB • Alabama
A+
Brady ChristensenT • BYU
A-
Kendrick GreenG • Illinois
A-
Jamar JohnsonS • Indiana
A-
Josh PalmerWR • Tennessee
C+
Jamin DavisLB • Kentucky
C+
Bobby Brown IIIDI • Texas A&M
A-
Jonathon CooperED • Ohio State
A-
Benjamin St-JusteCB • Minnesota
A-
Pooka Williams Jr.HB • Kansas
C+
Overall
Minnesota Vikings
A-

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1059
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 2:36:47 PM   
kgdabom

After a Few tries I had this one develop on the PFN Simulator.

MIN

Penei Sewell
OT Oregon
MIN

Rashad Weaver
EDGE Pittsburgh
trade icon
MIN

Ben Cleveland
OG Georgia
trade icon
MIN

Kyle Trask
QB Florida
MIN

Patrick Jones
EDGE Pittsburgh
MIN

Bobby Brown
DT Texas A&M
MIN

Aaron Banks
OG Notre Dame
MIN

Adetokunbo Ogundeji
EDGE Notre Dame
MIN

Tommy Doyle
OT Miami (OH)
trade icon
MIN

Anthony Schwartz
WR Auburn
2022 CLE 7th

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1060
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 2:51:24 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Imagine the look of surprise on our faces.

You would start a reanimated George Blanda over Cousins. In fact, you would start the Lambert-Fisher Glacier in Antarctica over Cousins. That's right, an actual glacier ... because this has nothing to do with Cousins' glacial attributes.

Smothering Cousins under any excuse invalidates any feeble point you might be tying to make.

< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 4/22/2021 3:13:58 PM >
Post #: 1061
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 3:04:00 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

Why not sit him for a year?

You have to pay Kirk anyway.
No QBs have ever been hurt from sitting on the bench... plenty have been hurt from being rushed into onto the field.
Kid played 1 game last year.
Also played against much lesser talent.

I'd ARod/PMahomes him.
Post #: 1062
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 3:12:56 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

He may not be skinny enough but otherwise OT Carson Green Texas A&M has our draft interest. (Cameron Sample simply doesn't have the Edge traits we're looking for)

https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/1384898916345384960

Yeah, might want to see who wrote OT. Because in that video, the OT is a cripple.

Sloth-like in space
Has zero hip swivel
May work best on senior home dance floor
Sets in pass rush like Godzilla
Lunges like starving man seeing a pizza
Braces actually add speed

Um ... you are kinda getting this down to a science lol

Are you going to be able to back out of this draftnik speak after draft season?
Post #: 1063
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 4:27:57 PM   
bohumm

Kirk Cousins is guaranteed $45M in 2022...not next year, 2022. The Vikings aren't taking a QB at 14.
Post #: 1064
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 4:44:35 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

But they better take one somewhere this year, or cousins is taking this team to the bank, with a layover in cap hell..

We have to draft or trade for a QBOTF..

Or we can ride the never ending train of somebody’s cast off until I die, and then it won’t matter..

Just because you fd up on Ponder, then bailed on Bridgewater, doesn’t mean you ride the secondhand goodwill QB train for 30 years or until Spielman dies...

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 4/22/2021 4:45:37 PM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1065
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 5:09:54 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

He may not be skinny enough but otherwise OT Carson Green Texas A&M has our draft interest. (Cameron Sample simply doesn't have the Edge traits we're looking for)

https://twitter.com/DWolfsonKSTP/status/1384898916345384960

Yeah, might want to see who wrote OT. Because in that video, the OT is a cripple.

Sloth-like in space
Has zero hip swivel
May work best on senior home dance floor
Sets in pass rush like Godzilla
Lunges like starving man seeing a pizza
Braces actually add speed

Um ... you are kinda getting this down to a science lol

Are you going to be able to back out of this draftnik speak after draft season?

Depends if I pin my ears back.
Post #: 1066
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 5:10:31 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Kirk Cousins is guaranteed $45M in 2022...not next year, 2022. The Vikings aren't taking a QB at 14.

Next year is 2022.
Post #: 1067
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 5:33:30 PM   
Bill Jandro

A lot depends on how this upcoming season goes but my guess if Spielman and Zim are still in charge they will extend Cousins again after this season to soften the 45ml cap hit for 2022. Kicking the can further down the road.

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but Cousins could be our qb for a long time.

< Message edited by Bill Jandro -- 4/22/2021 5:34:37 PM >

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 1068
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 5:40:04 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

A lot depends on how this upcoming season goes but my guess if Spielman and Zim are still in charge they will extend Cousins again after this season to soften the 45ml cap hit for 2022. Kicking the can further down the road.

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news but Cousins could be our qb for a long time.

Good point. Cousins will take the team to the cleaners... again! Brzez isn't all that any more either.
Post #: 1069
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 6:03:29 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

Next year is 2022.

I was referring to the next football season, which is 2021. IOW, he has a massive fully guaranteed contract for the next two years, and both Spielman and Zimmer are feeling the heat----or at least should be. They are going to draft someone they think can help this year, not in a year or two.
Post #: 1070
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 7:42:51 PM   
Pager

I would never fault any GM for taking a swing at who they believe is a QBOTF. I would fire him if he fails more than once. But I would have no issue with a QB being drafted.

Regardless of who is drafted, it would be foolish to play him. Cousins and the team is playing well, you don't put in your rookie QB. Team falling apart, the oline is part of the reason. Why rush him out there?

Only situation I consider it - .500 team at the midpoint, oline is playing much improved (from 28th in pass blocking to 15th) and you think the rook gives you a shot a playoffs. That's it.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1071
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 9:01:01 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

I would never fault any GM for taking a swing at who they believe is a QBOTF. I would fire him if he fails more than once. But I would have no issue with a QB being drafted.

Regardless of who is drafted, it would be foolish to play him. Cousins and the team is playing well, you don't put in your rookie QB. Team falling apart, the oline is part of the reason. Why rush him out there?

Only situation I consider it - .500 team at the midpoint, oline is playing much improved (from 28th in pass blocking to 15th) and you think the rook gives you a shot a playoffs. That's it.

I wouldn't fire him for taking the QB, I'd fire him for managing the team the way he has to keep it on a treadmill of mediocrity and then knocking us off the treadmill at full price. If this is what you want to do, don't pay big money to people like Barr, Rudy, Reiff, et al for the past few years. Throw your cards in and draw a new hand if that's what you're doing.
Post #: 1072
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 9:04:29 PM   
bohumm

quote:

Keep in mind that the OL that finished 28th in pass blocking is far superior to the present OL. Again, the OL was horrendous last year and is significantly worse right now. Neither Cousins nor a rookie are doing shit behind that OL. The next year they might be OK, when Cousins is your $45M backup.
Post #: 1073
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 10:32:57 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

I wouldn't fire him for taking the QB, I'd fire him for managing the team the way he has to keep it on a treadmill of mediocrity and then knocking us off the treadmill at full price. If this is what you want to do, don't pay big money to people like Barr, Rudy, Reiff, et al for the past few years. Throw your cards in and draw a new hand if that's what you're doing.

I've been calling out Spielman for team building for the last couple years. You'll get no argument from me there. Yannick was another terrible decision, trading a 2nd for a 3rd and using up precious cap. Coaching has contributed in a big way with in-season decisions.

There's not a snowball chance in hell that Vikings take a QB in the first. Famous last words. But I'll trade falling off the treadmill for a QBOTF any day. As it is, we've got to hope we have a draft like last year (with 3-4 contributors). That the oline comes together, Kubiak Jr is a good OC, and all the pieces on defense comes together. We could fall off the treadmill without drafting a QB this year.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1074
RE: NFL Draft 2021 - 4/22/2021 11:26:41 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

I've been calling out Spielman for team building for the last couple years. You'll get no argument from me there. Yannick was another terrible decision, trading a 2nd for a 3rd and using up precious cap. Coaching has contributed in a big way with in-season decisions.

There's not a snowball chance in hell that Vikings take a QB in the first. Famous last words. But I'll trade falling off the treadmill for a QBOTF any day. As it is, we've got to hope we have a draft like last year (with 3-4 contributors). That the oline comes together, Kubiak Jr is a good OC, and all the pieces on defense comes together. We could fall off the treadmill without drafting a QB this year.

If they did what you say above---move to mid-pack in pass pro---and the D optimizes its potential, they could be very good. Right now I don't see a path to that kind of pass pro improvement, so they will always struggle to win games when they are in clear passing situations.
Post #: 1075
Page:   <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: NFL Draft 2021 Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode