Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 12:03:51 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Despite this, I wonder if put in a potentially good situation, with the right HC, how would Cousins do in:

INDY - He has a better deep ball than Rivers, would have a good OL, weak WRs, but good defense.

LARAMS - McVay has worked well with Cousins in the past, and now has a good defense in LA. Cousins has to be better than Goff, half of his balls are in the dirt.

The Vikings should work out a trade with the Colts or Rams, then either trade for Watson, draft a QB, or trade for potential. Maybe give someone like Winston a try. I don't think you can get Mahomes/Alle /Wilson/Rogers/Brady/Jackson, etc ...

Our next Josh Freeman.

Zimmer would crap himself before the end of the first quarter with Winston at the controls.

I am not saying Winston doesn't have a future, and maybe a darn good one, but Zimmer isn't the type of coach for that type of QB.

Zimmer is a dinosaur, he can't handle anything but running the ball and passing if he absolutely has to. (unless its second and long, then he runs it anyway).

55 TDs

5000 passing yards.

1:1 TD/TO ratio

I'm not touting Winston I'm trying to show that numbers need context.

I get what you are saying.

I'm saying we didn't make playoffs because of the defense. The offense held up their end of the bargain, and then some.

If we had just a bunch of yards and average PPG, then I think you would be right.

Well we were 4th in yards and 11th in points so it's close to that. The context that I'd add is that we were scrambling in the 4th quarter trying to catch up or in garbage time much more often than when we were just kneeling down the ball to run out the clock with a lead.

Is that a dinosaur offense?
Post #: 226
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 12:14:46 PM   
bohumm

Give Zimmer Kubiak or Dennison, if that's who he wants, and let Spielman and him continue their path. That is the quickest way to either be rid of them or know that this every-other-year-playoffs-with-early-loss is exactly what the Wilfs are happy to live with. They aren't changing in the short term, so let it play out as quickly as possible at this point.
Post #: 227
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 12:39:37 PM   
Pager

We talk about synergy all the time. Special teams gave this offense longer fields and our defenses shorter fields. Our defense didn't generate turnovers, piss poor in 3rd down stops, also hindering the offense.

I know I'm coming across as a regime homer. I agree with bohumm, we'll either see a competitive team or hopefully Wilfs clean house.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 228
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 12:40:11 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

More:

Finally, special teams needs to be so much better. By basically any metric, the Vikings had the second-worst special teams unit in the NFL. Because of that, they routinely had poor field position to start drives and gave opponents good field position on their possessions. And that doesn’t even take into account their kicking game.

By chance did you see the Packers' special teams this season?

I didn't. Were they good?

Post #: 229
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 12:42:15 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Despite this, I wonder if put in a potentially good situation, with the right HC, how would Cousins do in:

INDY - He has a better deep ball than Rivers, would have a good OL, weak WRs, but good defense.

LARAMS - McVay has worked well with Cousins in the past, and now has a good defense in LA. Cousins has to be better than Goff, half of his balls are in the dirt.

The Vikings should work out a trade with the Colts or Rams, then either trade for Watson, draft a QB, or trade for potential. Maybe give someone like Winston a try. I don't think you can get Mahomes/Alle /Wilson/Rogers/Brady/Jackson, etc ...

Our next Josh Freeman.

Zimmer would crap himself before the end of the first quarter with Winston at the controls.

I am not saying Winston doesn't have a future, and maybe a darn good one, but Zimmer isn't the type of coach for that type of QB.

Zimmer is a dinosaur, he can't handle anything but running the ball and passing if he absolutely has to. (unless its second and long, then he runs it anyway).

55 TDs

5000 passing yards.

I'm saying we didn't make playoffs because of the defense. The offense held up their end of the bargain, and then some.

If we had just a bunch of yards and average PPG, then I think you would be right.

Well we were 4th in yards and 11th in points so it's close to that. The context that I'd add is that we were scrambling in the 4th quarter trying to catch up or in garbage time much more often than when we were just kneeling down the ball to run out the clock with a lead.

Yes. We're a dinosaur offense because we run it on 2nd-and-long not just too much, but WAY too much. We also only give Justin Jefferson an average of 3 targets in the first half of games. Contrast that to Buffalo and the 5+ first-half targets they give Diggs. We have a run-first offense yet we don't spell Cook with Mattison nearly enough so when the second half of the season hits Cook becomes less effective by a large extent. We still play our tight ends like it's 1932.

If you take away Jefferson and Thielen, the #2 and #6 WRs in the league, both of which we fell back-asswards into, and our offense becomes bottom half of the league real quick.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 230
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 12:44:24 PM   
Pager

Good stuff David. I would also include not throwing enough on 1st down, never taking shots on 2nd and short (this drives me crazy). Running into the teeth of the defense on third and short (our biggest Achilles heel).

< Message edited by Pager -- 1/22/2021 12:50:32 PM >

Post #: 231
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 12:45:48 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Our next Josh Freeman.

55 TDs

5000 passing yards.

More often than not, the defense was to blame for that.

It doesn't matter if climate change was the reason for it. The reason isn't relevant to the point.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 232
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 1:16:08 PM   
ronhextall

Running on 2nd and forever is so frequent other teams have to be laughing during film sessions.

Zimmer gets a lead and sits on it. Modern offense go pedal to the floor for 4 quarters.
Post #: 233
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 4:01:02 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Our next Josh Freeman.

55 TDs

5000 passing yards.

Yes. We're a dinosaur offense because we run it on 2nd-and-long not just too much, but WAY too much. We also only give Justin Jefferson an average of 3 targets in the first half of games. Contrast that to Buffalo and the 5+ first-half targets they give Diggs. We have a run-first offense yet we don't spell Cook with Mattison nearly enough so when the second half of the season hits Cook becomes less effective by a large extent. We still play our tight ends like it's 1932.

If you take away Jefferson and Thielen, the #2 and #6 WRs in the league, both of which we fell back-asswards into, and our offense becomes bottom half of the league real quick.

quote:

It doesn't matter if climate change was the reason they're on the team. The reason isn't relevant to the point.
Post #: 234
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 4:02:57 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Good stuff David. I would also include not throwing enough on 1st down, never taking shots on 2nd and short (this drives me crazy). Running into the teeth of the defense on third and short (our biggest Achilles heel).

I would add ALWAYS running the ball on 2nd and 10 after an incomplete pass on first down.
Post #: 235
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 4:07:34 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Cousins isn't much better than Tony Romo, he puts up nice stats, but doesn't appear to be very clutch.

Diggs didn't like him, and Griffen said last week on Twitter that Cousins is ass.

Griffen also retracted that statement, and said he was going to get help. And Diggs couldn't stand being WR1a or WR2, that's where he was at. Can you say Stephon Marbury?
Post #: 236
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 4:26:44 PM   
bohumm

quote:

I agree, though I will say that taking shots on second-and-1 can lead to more running into the teeth of the defense on third-and-1. Switching it up occasionally would be nice, though.
Post #: 237
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 4:30:25 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

Cousins isn't much better than Tony Romo, he puts up nice stats, but doesn't appear to be very clutch.

Diggs didn't like him, and Griffen said last week on Twitter that Cousins is ass.

Griffen also retracted that statement, and said he was going to get help. And Diggs couldn't stand being WR1a or WR2, that's where he was at. Can you say Stephon Marbury?

Diggs is and was clearly better than Thielen, so he was WR1. I don't think that was the issue, though; it was being in an offense that didn't use its greatest strength to its best advantage.
Post #: 238
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 5:00:42 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

When your fastest, most competent route runners, with moves and hands, either doesn’t get the time or targets their talent deserves, because the coaching staff wants to run the human enema on second and anything, or third and short.. you know your short time to make an impact is being wasted.

I was not happy to see Diggs go.. he was a bit af a prima Donna, but his talent and ability to flip a game was off the charts..
I don’t blame him.

Look where he is now.. playing for a conference championship, while the KA offense, looks to try and fix a shabby defense and an epically, perennially bad offensive pass blocking scheme.

We run the ball, because it’s all we do really well..

You’d think playaction would be excellent, but if the line can’t sell and block a play action play, you might as well run strictly shotgun formation.
One dimensional is one dimensional, no matter what color construction paper you cover it with.

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 1/22/2021 5:03:07 PM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 239
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 5:21:19 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

Diggs is and was clearly better than Thielen, so he was WR1. I don't think that was the issue, though; it was being in an offense that didn't use its greatest strength to its best advantage.

Agree Diggs was our WR1. I also think he felt disrespected by the org. Diggs got his big contract a year after Theilen's. Only to see Theilen's get reworked shortly after for a tad more per than Diggs deal.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 240
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 5:42:05 PM   
Bruce Johnson

What do you think about Ezra Cleveland? I believe he unfortunately has been inserted in the wrong position and that may continue if the Vikings select an OT in the first round as many speculate. When I think about that, I hope that they select a defensive lineman in the first round so that Cleveland can move to tackle where he belongs.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 241
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 5:46:37 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

Agree Diggs was our WR1. I also think he felt disrespected by the org. Diggs got his big contract a year after Theilen's. Only to see Theilen's get reworked shortly after for a tad more per than Diggs deal.

At the end of his tenure with the Vikings he was better than Thielen, but not the previous seasons. Of course Thielen got hurt in '19, so Diggs really needed to emerge and he did. Before Thielen got hurt I thought they were very comparable, but Diggs was rising and Thielen plateauing.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 242
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 5:50:08 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

I would add ALWAYS running the ball on 2nd and 10 after an incomplete pass on first down.

It would be interesting to chart the 2nd and 10 plays. The thing is that late in the game and you're trailing, those numbers would be skewed to pass plays. So the numbers should be adjusted. I'll ask Baker if he would like to do that. That's what he likes to do.

Post #: 243
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 6:13:27 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

What do you think about Ezra Cleveland? I believe he unfortunately has been inserted in the wrong position and that may continue if the Vikings select an OT in the first round as many speculate. When I think about that, I hope that they select a defensive lineman in the first round so that Cleveland can move to tackle where he belongs.

Yes and no. While I agree he would probably be better as a T it leaves us with zero starting G's on the roster. Spielman has proven repeatedly that G's are a very low value priority and having him have to find one is tough but replacing both would qualify as a horror show.

Post #: 244
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 6:42:21 PM   
Bill Jandro

Currently the biggest problem is our salary cap situation. Spielman has been careless going all in when clearly he needed to stand pat. The Wilf's are mostly to blame with this. But not being able to sign a few quality FA's per year to fill holes is really going to hamper efforts to build a contender. We're clearly in purgatory.

Post #: 245
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 6:43:08 PM   
odin

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Our next Josh Freeman.

55 TDs

5000 passing yards.

More often than not, the defense was to blame for that.

Our 2020 offense scored 10.9 points per game in the first half. 23rd in the league. I lost a long post in the ether, due to getting auto- logged out . In short, a ridiculously conservative and predictable approach, especially early in games, puts a governor on the offense
Post #: 246
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 6:47:20 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

Currently the biggest problem is our salary cap situation. Spielman has been careless going all in when clearly he needed to stand pat. The Wilf's are mostly to blame with this. But not being able to sign a few quality FA's per year to fill holes is really going to hamper efforts to build a contender. We're clearly in purgatory.

If the salary cap had not been reduced by Covid it would not have been as bad of a problem, but in that respect, I believe the Vikings are better than a lot of other teams. Still, it's bad. I agree.

Post #: 247
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 7:36:58 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

If the salary cap had not been reduced by Covid it would not have been as bad of a problem, but in that respect, I believe the Vikings are better than a lot of other teams. Still, it's bad. I agree.

Covid problem is equal across the league, and yes we have a bad cap situation.

Post #: 248
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 8:27:00 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

When your fastest, most competent route runners, with moves and hands, either doesn’t get the time or targets their talent deserves, because the coaching staff wants to run the human enema on second and anything, or third and short.. you know your short time to make an impact is being wasted.

I was not happy to see Diggs go.. he was a bit af a prima Donna, but his talent and ability to flip a game was off the charts..
I don’t blame him.

Look where he is now.. playing for a conference championship, while the KA offense, looks to try and fix a shabby defense and an epically, perennially bad offensive pass blocking scheme.

You’d think playaction would be excellent, but if the line can’t sell and block a play action play, you might as well run strictly shotgun formation.
One dimensional is one dimensional, no matter what color construction paper you cover it with.

Cousins is near the bottom of the list in the stat category 'difference in completion percentage from not play action to play action.' He averages about 7 percentage points less in completion percentage in play action. That's not good.

Post #: 249
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 8:35:58 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

I don’t blame him.

Cousins is near the bottom of the list in the stat category 'difference in completion percentage from not play action to play action.' He averages about 7 percentage points less in completion percentage in play action. That's not good.

I'm surprised by this. Is this an outlier stat? I thought he thrived on play action before.

Here's an article from about a year ago.

https://www.nfl.com/news/cousins-excelling-at-play-action-has-opened-offense-0ap3000001068942

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 1/22/2021 8:39:55 PM >

Post #: 250
Page:   <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  8 9 [10] 11 12   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode