Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2021 5:42:02 PM   
marty

Cousins isn't much better than Tony Romo, he puts up nice stats, but doesn't appear to be very clutch.

Diggs didn't like him, and Griffen said last week on Twitter that Cousins is ass.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 201
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2021 5:50:48 PM   
marty

Despite this, I wonder if put in a potentially good situation, with the right HC, how would Cousins do in:

INDY - He has a better deep ball than Rivers, would have a good OL, weak WRs, but good defense.

LARAMS - McVay has worked well with Cousins in the past, and now has a good defense in LA. Cousins has to be better than Goff, half of his balls are in the dirt.

The Vikings should work out a trade with the Colts or Rams, then either trade for Watson, draft a QB, or trade for potential. Maybe give someone like Winston a try. I don't think you can get Mahomes/Alle /Wilson/Rogers/Brady/Jackson, etc ...

< Message edited by marty -- 1/21/2021 5:52:07 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 202
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2021 5:55:44 PM   
marty

I haven't seen Watson play much, but am guessing he is probably more clutch than Cousins.

Both Cousins and Watson are probably in bad situations with HCs that aren't likely to win a SB. Watson's situation is worse as his #1 WR was taken away, and that could be Cousin's in a year or 2, if Thielen is traded or injured.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 203
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2021 6:00:05 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Or more assuredly Thielen simply gets old. He's past his prime now, will probably do well for a couple of years due to Jefferson taking away coverage and veteran savvy.
Post #: 204
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2021 6:02:34 PM   
Bill Johanesen

As one of only four players with a contract through 2024, Adam won't see the end of his ever more expensive contract.
Post #: 205
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2021 6:34:44 PM   
David F.

Here's a chart of percentage of plays in which the QB gets sacked. Looks like mostly mobile QBs near the bottom, and then Kirk.

https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/qb-sacked-pct

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 206
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/21/2021 10:57:45 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Despite this, I wonder if put in a potentially good situation, with the right HC, how would Cousins do in:

INDY - He has a better deep ball than Rivers, would have a good OL, weak WRs, but good defense.

LARAMS - McVay has worked well with Cousins in the past, and now has a good defense in LA. Cousins has to be better than Goff, half of his balls are in the dirt.

The Vikings should work out a trade with the Colts or Rams, then either trade for Watson, draft a QB, or trade for potential. Maybe give someone like Winston a try. I don't think you can get Mahomes/Alle /Wilson/Rogers/Brady/Jackson, etc ...

Our next Josh Freeman.
Post #: 207
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 6:12:11 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Here's a chart of percentage of plays in which the QB gets sacked. Looks like mostly mobile QBs near the bottom, and then Kirk.

I was surprised to see Baltimore at 28

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 208
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 6:23:55 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

I was surprised to see Baltimore at 28

The three least sacked teams in the league? Pittsburgh, Indianapolis and Tampa. Arguably the three slowest quarterbacks in the league in 2020. It isn't just about offensive line. It's also about getting rid of the ball quickly and being able to read a defense.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/22/2021 6:25:39 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 209
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 6:48:59 AM   
TJSweens

Let's start with our line. It is statistically proven to give up the most pressure in the NFL.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 210
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 9:05:45 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Our next Josh Freeman.

Zimmer would crap himself before the end of the first quarter with Winston at the controls.

I am not saying Winston doesn't have a future, and maybe a darn good one, but Zimmer isn't the type of coach for that type of QB.

Zimmer is a dinosaur, he can't handle anything but running the ball and passing if he absolutely has to. (unless its second and long, then he runs it anyway).
Post #: 211
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 9:28:52 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

quote:

Our next Josh Freeman.

Zimmer would crap himself before the end of the first quarter with Winston at the controls.

I am not saying Winston doesn't have a future, and maybe a darn good one, but Zimmer isn't the type of coach for that type of QB.

Zimmer is a dinosaur, he can't handle anything but running the ball and passing if he absolutely has to. (unless its second and long, then he runs it anyway).

55 TDs
Post #: 212
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 9:57:54 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

Let's start with our line. It is statistically proven to give up the most pressure in the NFL.

Our line is/was terrible however the Jets and the Giants lines were statistically worse in percentage of dropbacks resulting in pressure allowed. Seattle, San Fran, Philly, Buffalo, Baltimore, The Chargers, and then Houston were next in line and in the same ballpark as the Vikes' line.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 213
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 10:00:42 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Our next Josh Freeman.

55 TDs

5000 passing yards.

Post #: 214
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 10:07:59 AM   
Pager

I stole this from another website. If we get 1 of these guys and use a 3rd on a S, I'd feel good with letting Harris walk and keeping Smith.

Two likely low-risk/high-reward players the Vikes could possibly interested in are S Malik Hooker and S Justin Evans.

Malik Hooker was a heralded S prospect from Ohio St in 2017, the 2nd safety taken behind Jamal Adams and showed why during his first 7 games w/ Indy in his rookie year. Unfortunately for him and the Colts - much like Cook in 2017 (and Hughes in 2018) - Hooker's season ended early w/ ACL injuries. And it didn't stop there: 2018-hip and foot injuries, 2019-torn meniscus, 2020-torn Achilles (against the Vikes in Wk 2, no less). Even though all of those injuries, Hooker's lowest PFF grade was only 65.3 and he was as high as 79.1, showing why he was a 1st Rd prospect. The Colts declined his 5th yr option and given the Achilles he sustained in 2020, they bet right. Hooker will certainly be looking to prove himself in 2021 if he gets healthy.

Justin Evans was drafted in the 2nd Rd by Tampa Bay out of Texas A&M and the Bucs played him immediately with Evans playing in 14 games with 11 starts. The results his rookie season were mixed, but he showed flashes. He really came on in 2018 and was the Bucs 5th-best rated player on defense; the needle was obviously pointing up. Then at the start of the 2019 season, he sustained an Achilles injury that shelved him for the entire season - an injury that would linger on in 2020, causing the Bucs to draft Antoine Winfield, Jr - and when Evans started the 2020 season on the PUP and Winfield Jr. making early impressions, that was basically all she wrote for Evans in Tampa.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 215
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 10:10:38 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Our next Josh Freeman.

I just watched the six minute "Every Jameis Winston Interception of the 2019 Season!" video.
Post #: 216
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 10:15:40 AM   
Pager

Another website steal:

To get to the divisional round, you pretty much need a quarterback who ranks in the top-12 of expected points added per play. The Rams were the only team this season to make it that far without a quarterback who achieved that feat. And Cousins ranked No. 9.

Post #: 217
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 10:16:47 AM   
Pager

More:

Finally, special teams needs to be so much better. By basically any metric, the Vikings had the second-worst special teams unit in the NFL. Because of that, they routinely had poor field position to start drives and gave opponents good field position on their possessions. And that doesn’t even take into account their kicking game.

Post #: 218
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 10:34:59 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

More:

Finally, special teams needs to be so much better. By basically any metric, the Vikings had the second-worst special teams unit in the NFL. Because of that, they routinely had poor field position to start drives and gave opponents good field position on their possessions. And that doesn’t even take into account their kicking game.

By chance did you see the Packers' special teams this season?

Post #: 219
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 11:05:51 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Our next Josh Freeman.

55 TDs

5000 passing yards.

1:1 TD/TO ratio
Post #: 220
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 11:11:20 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Our next Josh Freeman.

55 TDs

5000 passing yards.

With an average defense, we are 9-7, 10-6.

Dinosaur offense is the one we saw with Ponder/AD. This year's offense had above average stats. TDs, Receiving, Rushing.

I'll give you 5 garbage time TDs. Then we are only 4 behind KC.

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 1/22/2021 11:12:31 AM >
Post #: 221
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 11:22:23 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Our next Josh Freeman.

55 TDs

5000 passing yards.

I'm not touting Winston I'm trying to show that numbers need context.

Post #: 222
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 11:29:27 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Our next Josh Freeman.

55 TDs

5000 passing yards.

I get what you are saying.

I'm saying we didn't make playoffs because of the defense. The offense held up their end of the bargain, and then some.

If we had just a bunch of yards and average PPG, then I think you would be right.
Post #: 223
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 11:35:44 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Our next Josh Freeman.

55 TDs

5000 passing yards.

I'm saying we didn't make playoffs because of the defense. The offense held up their end of the bargain, and then some.

If we had just a bunch of yards and average PPG, then I think you would be right.

Well we were 4th in yards and 11th in points so it's close to that. The context that I'd add is that we were scrambling in the 4th quarter trying to catch up or in garbage time much more often than when we were just kneeling down the ball to run out the clock with a lead.

Post #: 224
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/22/2021 12:03:15 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Our next Josh Freeman.

55 TDs

5000 passing yards.

Well we were 4th in yards and 11th in points so it's close to that. The context that I'd add is that we were scrambling in the 4th quarter trying to catch up or in garbage time much more often than when we were just kneeling down the ball to run out the clock with a lead.

More often than not, the defense was to blame for that.
Post #: 225
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode