Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2021 1:34:27 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Diggs going off like a Diva just now.

What are you calling out exactly? I'm not aware of anything happening.

Nothing in particular. Just an observation. And I saw what Bill saw, him pouting. Think him being limited to 1 catch for 13 years through the first half is going to sit well with him?

Be interesting to follow his career in Buffalo. And I was actually hoping the Bills would win.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 301
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2021 1:44:24 PM   
David F.

When Jared Allen had to be held back by teammates we all decided he was a bad ass not to be messed with.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 302
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2021 1:54:25 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

When Jared Allen had to be held back by teammates we all decided he was a bad ass not to be messed with.

I had no problem with getting into it with KC, even down 10 TDs. I didn't like how it continued with his teammates and then him not congratulating him teammate. Josh Allen was bush league yesterday.

Might be nothing.

Post #: 303
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2021 3:05:00 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

I had no problem with getting into it with KC, even down 10 TDs. I didn't like how it continued with his teammates and then him not congratulating him teammate. Josh Allen was bush league yesterday.

Might be nothing.

Not sure how to feel on Diggs... his emotion can cost you but he consistently delivers.

He cares... I know that much:
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/01/bills-stefon-diggs-stays-on-field-after-afc-championship-loss-until-sean-mcdermott-comes-back-for-no-1-receiver-watch.html?fbclid=IwAR1VD7idtdP9tWn8vg1MOmcaM7Evp6lIDkfx6J7IySO7kpoyMmKbQTqRcjE
Post #: 304
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2021 3:33:09 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

Diggs going off like a Diva just now.

yup he wont last long in any nfl city

It seems that a number of top wide receivers are like that. They are a different breed.

I found this article that starts out like this:

What is a prima donna? A prima donna is someone that will put themselves ahead of their team, someone that only cares about self-glory and self-production rather than being apart of a team's success. You can say that a prima donna is someone that is conceited, cocky, full of themselves and all in all, self-absorbed.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/892354-the-50-biggest-prima-donnas-in-nfl-history

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 1/25/2021 3:41:12 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 305
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2021 3:39:06 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I want to see how the Vikings do during the off-season before I make any evaluations to whether they will rebound next year or not. I expect that they will be forced to make some difficult decisions.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 306
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2021 3:39:50 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

Might be nothing.

Not sure how to feel on Diggs... his emotion can cost you but he consistently delivers.

He cares... I know that much:
https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2021/01/bills-stefon-diggs-stays-on-field-after-afc-championship-loss-until-sean-mcdermott-comes-back-for-no-1-receiver-watch.html?fbclid=IwAR1VD7idtdP9tWn8vg1MOmcaM7Evp6lIDkfx6J7IySO7kpoyMmKbQTqRcjE

I saw that - pretty cool.

I don't know how to feel either. If his emotion doesn't cause locker room fractures, he's an amazing player. I don't know what happened in MN, nor do I know anything about what it looks like in the lockerroom in Buffalo.

Post #: 307
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/25/2021 8:12:07 PM   
Mark Anderson

Do we get a additional draft pick for our DBacks coach getting a better job(DC) at LSU?
Post #: 308
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2021 4:17:40 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Two of Justin Jefferson's biggest weaknesses coming out of LSU were his release vs press & handling contact in the stems of his routes — two things Adam Thielen excels at. Don't think it's a coincidence that those stopped being weaknesses as soon as they became teammates.

Nick Olson on Twitter

Post #: 309
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2021 4:25:48 PM   
Bruce Johnson

“I think I’m worth every dime of my contract. That doesn’t mean that I’m used to my potential and I’m used to my strengths... So it’ll be interesting over the next few months. I have 3 years left on my contract and I don’t want to go anywhere else.

-#Vikings TE Kyle Rudolph

(Sean Borman on Twitter)

Post #: 310
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2021 4:27:45 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Was kinda curious about this unit’s PFF grade...

Remmers: 70.1 (76.4 PB)
Allegretti: 67.1 (71.3 RB)
Reiter: 69.2 (77.5 PB)
Wisniewski: 59.7 (58.4 PB)
Wiley: 55.5 (57.8 PB)

Sad part is the Vikings Line is still worse than this patchwork chiefs line w/3 day 1 or 2 picks & FAs
Quote Tweet
Hayden Winks
@HaydenWinks
· Jan 24
Chiefs starting OL for the Super Bowl:

LT Remmers (0 LT snaps since '16)
LG Allegretti (7th rounder)
C Reiter (7th rounder)
RG Wisniewski (cut by PIT in Nov.)
RT Wiley (a UDFA guard)

(Spencer Thompson on Twitter)

Isn't it clear that our offensive line coach just isn't cutting it?

Post #: 311
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2021 4:29:13 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Here are some Jefferson highlights on video.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1353789884000043010

Post #: 312
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2021 4:33:27 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Hot take: The Vikings will have a top 3 defense in 2021*

Depending on how the offseason goes and how players develop (mainly Watts, Wonnum, Dantzler, Gladney)

Perhaps we can trade back and get an edge rusher to complement this in the first and trade up back into the second round for an o-lineman if Watts can develop into a starter 3 tech.

Post #: 313
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/26/2021 4:54:59 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Kirk Cousins' Passer Rating when targeting specific receivers this season:

Irv Smith Jr. - 134.4
Adam Thielen - 119.0
Justin Jefferson - 112.7
Kyle Rudolph - 111.8
Tyler Conklin - 106.9
Chad Beebe - 93.9
Dalvin Cook 93.0

(Dominique Clare on Twitter)

Post #: 314
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2021 7:43:35 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Depending on how the offseason goes and how players develop (mainly Watts, Wonnum, Dantzler, Gladney)

Perhaps we can trade back and get an edge rusher to complement this in the first and trade up back into the second round for an o-lineman if Watts can develop into a starter 3 tech.

Frustrating - they had Watts playing as a NT instead of 3T most of 2020.

Post #: 315
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2021 8:05:12 AM   
bstinger

First you have to ask Top 3 by what measure...

Second, top 3 is bold to the point of being ludicrous. They should be much improved if everyone returns healthy and fully functional, but that is still an IF. Top 10 is certainly doable, top 3 will take some doing.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 316
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2021 9:31:57 AM   
bohumm

The Vikings are middling until they strike lightening, probably more than once. The alternative path is building toward a goal 2-3 years out (at a minimum); the idea that they can plug enough major holes (at least 2 IOL spots, third corner, second safety, DE, DT, third receiving option) while papering over others is not a plan, it's a (faint) hope. This is especially true with no second-rounder this year and serious cap issues.

Working against a strategy that can deliver a true contender in three years are the facts that the leadership appears to think they can rebuild on the fly while staying competitive---a clear path to remaining a middling franchise in the long run---and also appears to not actually mind too much being a middling franchise. It seems fine with the Wilfs to make the playoffs every other year without much hope of being competitive beyond the conference semi-finals (or more likely the wild-card round).

As long as the Wilfs are the owners, middling is probably as good as it gets.
Post #: 317
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2021 10:33:49 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Frustrating - they had Watts playing as a NT instead of 3T most of 2020.

They had to stick somebody there.
Post #: 318
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2021 11:17:17 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

The Vikings are middling until they strike lightening, probably more than once. The alternative path is building toward a goal 2-3 years out (at a minimum); the idea that they can plug enough major holes (at least 2 IOL spots, third corner, second safety, DE, DT, third receiving option) while papering over others is not a plan, it's a (faint) hope. This is especially true with no second-rounder this year and serious cap issues.

Working against a strategy that can deliver a true contender in three years are the facts that the leadership appears to think they can rebuild on the fly while staying competitive---a clear path to remaining a middling franchise in the long run---and also appears to not actually mind too much being a middling franchise. It seems fine with the Wilfs to make the playoffs every other year without much hope of being competitive beyond the conference semi-finals (or more likely the wild-card round).

I think Wilfs have been above average owners, willing to spend money. There's a balance between providing too much or too little rope when it comes to GM/HC. I don't judge them too harshly right now (yet).

Last year's draft is still looking pretty impressive (way to early to say def). If we have a similar draft, with returning players like Hunter/Pierce, and continued player development. HUGE IFs, but if that came together, I could see this team competing. We were 7-9 and almost beat Seattle on the road.

My biggest concern is talent recognition and team building. Losing my faith. With the way Ezra stepped in and provided an upgrade and other examples, are we utilizing the talent on the team? Or staying with underperformers too long? FO also completely misread with the Yannick, probably Rudy, Barr, etc.

Post #: 319
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2021 11:34:19 AM   
ratoppenheimer

'According to Over the Cap, Rudolph’s cap figure for the 2021 season is almost $9.5 million. If the team were to designate him as a post-June 1 cut, they could save $8 million while having to eat a $1.5 million dead money hit. With Irv Smith Jr. having come on towards the end of the season and Tyler Conklin making an impression over the final few games of the year in Rudolph’s absence, an unwillingness to restructure his deal likely means the end of Rudolph’s time in purple.'...the daily norseman

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 320
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2021 11:41:01 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

'According to Over the Cap, Rudolph’s cap figure for the 2021 season is almost $9.5 million. If the team were to designate him as a post-June 1 cut, they could save $8 million while having to eat a $1.5 million dead money hit. With Irv Smith Jr. having come on towards the end of the season and Tyler Conklin making an impression over the final few games of the year in Rudolph’s absence, an unwillingness to restructure his deal likely means the end of Rudolph’s time in purple.'...the daily norseman

B-bye!

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 321
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2021 12:03:59 PM   
David Levine

quote:

That option should not even be on the table.

No more pushing money out to the future for mediocre players.

Just rip off the damn bandaid and cut him.
Post #: 322
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2021 1:05:08 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

That option should not even be on the table.

No more pushing money out to the future for mediocre players.

Just rip off the damn bandaid and cut him.

We're already three years too late.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 323
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2021 2:04:24 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

The bar is so low here. Over the last 5 games of the season, Smith averaged 45 ypg. I didn't use 6 games because the stats would be worse. He scored a total of 3 TDs over those 5 games.

Get rid of Rudolph, but slow the Smith bandwagon.
Post #: 324
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/27/2021 2:13:28 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

I think Wilfs have been above average owners, willing to spend money. There's a balance between providing too much or too little rope when it comes to GM/HC. I don't judge them too harshly right now (yet).

Last year's draft is still looking pretty impressive (way to early to say def). If we have a similar draft, with returning players like Hunter/Pierce, and continued player development. HUGE IFs, but if that came together, I could see this team competing. We were 7-9 and almost beat Seattle on the road.

My biggest concern is talent recognition and team building. Losing my faith. With the way Ezra stepped in and provided an upgrade and other examples, are we utilizing the talent on the team? Or staying with underperformers too long? FO also completely misread with the Yannick, probably Rudy, Barr, etc.

I think there's no issue with their willingness to spend, which is welcome, but they need to spend it well, and that's where we seem to have trouble. I also agree that they're above average, but that seems to be their ceiling unless the team catches lightening and they're good or very good. None of those things get you to a Super Bowl, though, much less a Super Bowl win. I think the Wilfs are 7-10 win owners, occasionally a little better and occasionally a little bit worse. They botched---in my estimation---the extensions for Spielman and Zimmer, who in turn botched the Cousins extension....and I like Cousins more than most on here.

If they were players, the Wilfs would just miss out on the Pro Bowl in their best years, but gain selection as alternates for the really good players on really good teams who make it to the Super Bowl. That basically sums up the Vikings franchise as a whole for all but four years of their entire history.
Post #: 325
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode