Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2021 5:51:17 PM   
Bruce Johnson

While Cousins was closer to the middle of the pack in first half passing, he did better than any one of the quarterbacks in the playoffs for second half passer rating. I believe someone mentioned that before.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?year=&type=Passing&range=NFL&rank=098

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 351
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2021 5:55:54 PM   
Bruce Johnson

This stat shows that the Vikings were in the middle of the pack when inside the opponent's 20. Thielen caught a lot of those passes, but Jefferson did not. I hope that as Jefferson matures he finds a way to score more. I think he will. Green Bay was number one. That's why they were the top seed. I wonder how the defense of the Vikings did in these stats.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?year=&type=Passing&range=NFL&rank=099

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 352
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2021 5:58:17 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I found this. The Vikings defense was second from the worst in preventing 20+ yard passing plays in the NFL.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/defense/passing/2020/reg/all

Post #: 353
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2021 6:01:41 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The Vikings defense was tied for third in the league for fewest rushes for 20+ yards. That stat is surprising.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/defense/rushing/2020/reg/all

Post #: 354
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/28/2021 6:09:56 PM   
Bruce Johnson

And the Vikings were tied with about four other teams for tenth place with only 10 rushes for over 20+ yards. Sort of in the middle of the pack. Cook is supposed to be good at that and I do believe Mattison had a couple of those longer kind of runs, too. Not sure. Still, our rushing offense lacked explosiveness. This may be an under the radar take, but the Vikings need a more viable third down running back with explosiveness and speed That might help with the play action on third down, too.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/offense/rushing/2020/reg/all

Post #: 355
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2021 9:25:34 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Here's PFF's top 100 free agents. It includes what they think the contract will be to sign them. It looks like we can't afford the first 60 or so.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-top-100-free-agents

If I'm Spielman I focus on getting these 2 guys before the draft:

92. T MATT FEILER
Feiler should be a player in demand this offseason, given the state of offensive line play in some areas of the NFL, and especially because he won’t be among the marquee names.

Feiler has extensive starting experience with the Steelers at both right tackle and inside at left guard, and he has graded well at both positions. In four seasons, he has never earned an overall PFF grade lower than 65.0 and hits free agency still well short of 30 years old.

Feiler’s best season from a grading standpoint came while starting at right tackle, the more valuable position. And at the bare minimum, he would represent one of the best “sixth linemen” in the game. Often the best value signings happen in the second wave of free agency, and Feiler would upgrade a lot of offensive lines.

Prediction: Jets sign Feiler for two years, $12 million ($6M APY): $8 million total guaranteed, $5 million fully guaranteed at signing

46. DI SHELBY HARRIS
One of the most underrated players in the league, Harris has been an above-average player since starting to see significant playing time in 2017. The former seventh-rounder wins with good pad level and quickness in the running game and ranks in the top third of the league in run-stop percentage since 2018. Harris has also been one of the league’s best pass-rushers since 201,8 with the only reservations being that he has only two seasons with more than 500 snaps (636 in 2019, 516 in 2017).

Prediction: Cardinals sign Harris for three years, $33.375 million ($11.125M APY)

Assuming the cap ends up around 180m, RS would have to be creative (boot Stephen, Rudolph, Reiff, restructure Smith, etc.) but it would truly allow the team to focus on BPA in the draft. If he can only get one, or wants to keep Reiff on a restructured deal, then Feiler is the priority.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 356
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2021 9:46:04 AM   
The Happy Norseman

This is good news for Vikings fans. If RS and Zim don't perform this year he'd be an excellent replacement.

Kansas City Chiefs' Andy Reid disappointed for Eric Bieniemy, happy for David Culley in NFL coach hiring

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Chiefs coach Andy Reid expressed disappointment that offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy was passed over for an NFL head coach opening for the third straight year.

"I'm glad I have him [for at least another season], but I'm not so glad I have him,'' Reid said Thursday after the Chiefs began practice for Super Bowl LV against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. "I was really hoping he would have an opportunity to take one of these jobs. You guys know what I think of him. I think he's great. I think he would be great for any number of teams that opened up and help them win football games and also develop men into men. I just think he's a great person."

Notable Super Bowl betting trends Bieniemy, in his third season as the Chiefs' coordinator, interviewed for six head coach openings this year. He also interviewed for multiple openings in each of the previous two years.
Chiefs wideout Tyreek Hill is confident Bieniemy's time is coming. "I'm not a GM or anything, but I will say coach Bieniemy has helped me out a lot (as) a man, player, just everything I've become for the Chiefs' organization," Hill said. "It's very shocking that he didn't get a job. I know deep down inside he's going to look at himself in the mirror and say, 'What do I have to do better next year or whenever the case may be?' He's that kind of dude. He wants to get better and he wants to become a head coach. His time will come.' One of Reid's former assistants, David Culley, did land a head-coaching job with the Houston Texans. Culley coached for Reid for 18 seasons, including from 2013 through 2016 with the Chiefs as wide receivers coach. "David will do a good job,'' Reid said. "He's a people person. He'll bring energy to the building. One of the most loyal guys I've ever been around. He's a great person. We were together 18 years. We had a few cheeseburgers together.''

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 357
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2021 10:05:59 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Unless you have a QB that can stretch the field vertically from the pocket you are not winning anything in "today's NFL".

Look at the QB's that played last weekend, they all can do it.

Cousin's might be good enough but the margin for error from everybody else is a lot tighter than it is with a Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, and a few others. The problem is the lesser QB's are getting paid way more than they are worth so the roster can't be built to make up for the thinner margin of error.

Be interesting to see a team that is good on defense with lots of weapons on offense take somebody like Mariotta and offer him $10-$12 million a year instead of the $30+ million a year and try and win a Super Bowl like that. IMO you should have a QB truly worth $40 million a year or just pay a QB $10-$15 million a year.

Lamar Jackson isn't going to win anything until he can be effective from the pocket consistently. Sure, he can run around and be great entertainment but he better learn how to play from the pocket before old age or serious injury ends his playing days.

I believe that if you compare the marks for 20+ yard pass plays the Vikings will be right up there near the top. Actually I found the stats. The Vikings were tied with the Packers and only two behind the Chiefs for explosive pass plays. I'm not sure how that was defined. Wait. It's 25 yards or more. Close enough. I was surprised to see that the Bucs were on top. I thought Brady doesn't have the arm he used to have. He's got a big play receiver, though.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?year=&type=Passing&range=NFL&rank=118

I wouldn't have a problem with Cousins as a $10-$20 million dollar QB. He doesn't have " It " to carry a team so paying him $30+ million kills the team from building enough around him to win. Most teams in the NFL are in this boat or are still looking for a QB.

There are about 3 or 4 QB's that are worth/deserve huge money. The rest just have the owners over a barrel.
Post #: 358
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2021 10:33:48 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

Unless you have a QB that can stretch the field vertically from the pocket you are not winning anything in "today's NFL".

Look at the QB's that played last weekend, they all can do it.

Cousin's might be good enough but the margin for error from everybody else is a lot tighter than it is with a Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, and a few others. The problem is the lesser QB's are getting paid way more than they are worth so the roster can't be built to make up for the thinner margin of error.

Be interesting to see a team that is good on defense with lots of weapons on offense take somebody like Mariotta and offer him $10-$12 million a year instead of the $30+ million a year and try and win a Super Bowl like that. IMO you should have a QB truly worth $40 million a year or just pay a QB $10-$15 million a year.

Lamar Jackson isn't going to win anything until he can be effective from the pocket consistently. Sure, he can run around and be great entertainment but he better learn how to play from the pocket before old age or serious injury ends his playing days.

I believe that if you compare the marks for 20+ yard pass plays the Vikings will be right up there near the top. Actually I found the stats. The Vikings were tied with the Packers and only two behind the Chiefs for explosive pass plays. I'm not sure how that was defined. Wait. It's 25 yards or more. Close enough. I was surprised to see that the Bucs were on top. I thought Brady doesn't have the arm he used to have. He's got a big play receiver, though.

http://hosted.stats.com/fb/tmleaders.asp?year=&type=Passing&range=NFL&rank=118

I wouldn't have a problem with Cousins as a $10-$20 million dollar QB. He doesn't have " It " to carry a team so paying him $30+ million kills the team from building enough around him to win. Most teams in the NFL are in this boat or are still looking for a QB.

There are about 3 or 4 QB's that are worth/deserve huge money. The rest just have the owners over a barrel.

I wish there were about 15-20 Ryan Fitzpatricks out there. That way GMs could look at their QB and ask 'is this guy truly elite?' If the answer is yes then give him a contract at $30-40 million per year and have a go at the title. If the answer is no then offer them $15 million per year and if they don't like it then just go sign a Ryan Fitzpatrick to get you by while you continue the search. I ask this question seriously - how many less games do the Vikings win in 2020 with Fitzpatrick at QB?

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 359
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2021 12:35:42 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

Here's PFF's top 100 free agents. It includes what they think the contract will be to sign them. It looks like we can't afford the first 60 or so.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2021-free-agency-top-100-free-agents

If I'm Spielman I focus on getting these 2 guys before the draft:

92. T MATT FEILER
Feiler should be a player in demand this offseason, given the state of offensive line play in some areas of the NFL, and especially because he won’t be among the marquee names.

Feiler has extensive starting experience with the Steelers at both right tackle and inside at left guard, and he has graded well at both positions. In four seasons, he has never earned an overall PFF grade lower than 65.0 and hits free agency still well short of 30 years old.

Feiler’s best season from a grading standpoint came while starting at right tackle, the more valuable position. And at the bare minimum, he would represent one of the best “sixth linemen” in the game. Often the best value signings happen in the second wave of free agency, and Feiler would upgrade a lot of offensive lines.

Prediction: Jets sign Feiler for two years, $12 million ($6M APY): $8 million total guaranteed, $5 million fully guaranteed at signing

46. DI SHELBY HARRIS
One of the most underrated players in the league, Harris has been an above-average player since starting to see significant playing time in 2017. The former seventh-rounder wins with good pad level and quickness in the running game and ranks in the top third of the league in run-stop percentage since 2018. Harris has also been one of the league’s best pass-rushers since 201,8 with the only reservations being that he has only two seasons with more than 500 snaps (636 in 2019, 516 in 2017).

Prediction: Cardinals sign Harris for three years, $33.375 million ($11.125M APY)

Assuming the cap ends up around 180m, RS would have to be creative (boot Stephen, Rudolph, Reiff, restructure Smith, etc.) but it would truly allow the team to focus on BPA in the draft. If he can only get one, or wants to keep Reiff on a restructured deal, then Feiler is the priority.

Harris killed us the last time we played Denver.
Post #: 360
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2021 1:03:26 PM   
ratoppenheimer

this is what pff predicts for Anthony harris....

The Washington Football Team signs Harris for four years, $56 million ($14M APY): $27.5 million total guaranteed, $16 million fully guaranteed at signing.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 361
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2021 1:06:20 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

The Washington Football Team signs Harris for four years, $56 million ($14M APY): $27.5 million total guaranteed, $16 million fully guaranteed at signing.

I was and continue to be surprised we didn't/wouldn't/couldn't trade him last offseason for a decent pick.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 362
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2021 1:34:34 PM   
bohumm

quote:

quote:

I was and continue to be surprised we didn't/wouldn't/couldn't trade him last offseason for a decent pick.

Courtney Cronin and Matthew Coller said that they weren't intent on keeping him, but got too greedy on draft day relative to trade compensation so they were stuck with him. I'd be curious to know who would have manned his spot if they'd been successful.
Post #: 363
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2021 2:35:27 PM  1 votes
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

Courtney Cronin and Matthew Coller said that they weren't intent on keeping him, but got too greedy on draft day relative to trade compensation so they were stuck with him. I'd be curious to know who would have manned his spot if they'd been successful.

Winfield jr?

Post #: 364
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2021 9:02:37 PM  1 votes
bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Winfield jr?

I still think they would have gone WR and CB. I like Winfield Jr. a lot, but it seems he's overrated on this board. His coverage from what I've seen and heard, is iffy, and a safety who doesn't cover well can be a liability. He's very smart, though, so he might be a lot like Harrison Smith in that he can mostly make up for it. He also may be better in coverage than what I've seen and heard.
Post #: 365
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/29/2021 9:39:28 PM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Winfield jr?

I still think they would have gone WR and CB. I like Winfield Jr. a lot, but it seems he's overrated on this board. His coverage from what I've seen and heard, is iffy, and a safety who doesn't cover well can be a liability. He's very smart, though, so he might be a lot like Harrison Smith in that he can mostly make up for it. He also may be better in coverage than what I've seen and heard.

I agree, in that I think he's probably overrated in these parts. He has the proper credentials for that, Gopher and son of a Viking that was very good, tough and an overachiever.

I think he had a good rookie year, nothing exceptional.
Post #: 366
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2021 8:27:47 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Winfield jr?

I agree, in that I think he's probably overrated in these parts. He has the proper credentials for that, Gopher and son of a Viking that was very good, tough and an overachiever.

Agree too, since last year. And it he was the son of Greenway or Robison the frenzy here would have been off the charts.
Post #: 367
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2021 10:11:27 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Winfield jr?

PFF has him overrated as the 12th best 2020 rookie overall.
Post #: 368
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2021 10:40:52 AM   
Bruce Johnson

A lot of talk about Watson. Here's a highlight video from his past season. He does look really good. How could we not be interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kLb0bMpkLk

Post #: 369
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2021 11:18:58 AM   
Bill Johanesen

It's fantasy world for some in Vikings land. Let's continue to corner the market on every big-name QB that becomes available. Give up draft picks like with Bradford. Give up obscene cap like with Cousins. And for Watson, let's give up draft picks AND obscene cap even though we have neither! Just have the magic fairly snap his/her fingers and we'll keep the trend going!
Post #: 370
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2021 11:32:44 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Winfield jr?

We might have been able to draft Winfield with the pick we got for Harris.
Post #: 371
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2021 2:09:53 PM   
marty

Honestly, I would rather have the instability of the Jets, than having the Vikings situation I percieve as a cieling of 1 on done in the playoffs, even if many things went right, or something less like this past season.

I don't care if Cousins had nice 2nd half stats, much of that is not so great starts, so the team is usually behind, gets close, but then loses to any quality team, unless the opponent can't stop Cook.

Playoffs mean quite a bit more, and he, like Zimmer, has a poor track record for playoff games.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 372
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2021 2:16:16 PM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Winfield jr?

So you think we passed up a pick before 45 for Harris? Not saying we didn't, but it would be absurd if we did. And again, Winfield might be better than I've seen/heard about, and I think he's pretty good.

< Message edited by bohumm -- 1/30/2021 2:23:33 PM >
Post #: 373
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2021 2:22:29 PM   
marty

Not a bad a idea to try land a big name QB. This year you could land Rodgers or Watson.

Last year would have landed you Tom Brady, and you could have gotten Peyton Manning 9 years ago.

Just because you failed with Bradford and Cousins, is no reason to stop trying. Maybe you're better off getting one that has won a SB, or one that has some mobility, so at least you have a shot.

If you don't get a big market QB, and you didn't draft Brady, almost the only way you won a SB in the last 20 years, was with a 1st round QB, unless you got Wilson or Mahomes.

So draft a QB in the 1st round, or trade for Rodgers or Watson.

< Message edited by marty -- 1/30/2021 2:25:04 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 374
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2021 3:00:53 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Winfield jr?

So you think we passed up a pick before 45 for Harris? Not saying we didn't, but it would be absurd if we did. And again, Winfield might be better than I've seen/heard about, and I think he's pretty good.

What we passed on for a Harris trade is pretty much unknowable.
Post #: 375
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode