Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2021 5:24:46 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

this is what pff predicts for Anthony harris....

The Washington Football Team signs Harris for four years, $56 million ($14M APY): $27.5 million total guaranteed, $16 million fully guaranteed at signing.

I was and continue to be surprised we didn't/wouldn't/couldn't trade him last offseason for a decent pick.

Courtney Cronin and Matthew Coller said that they weren't intent on keeping him, but got too greedy on draft day relative to trade compensation so they were stuck with him. I'd be curious to know who would have manned his spot if they'd been successful.

Winfield jr?

I still think they would have gone WR and CB. I like Winfield Jr. a lot, but it seems he's overrated on this board. His coverage from what I've seen and heard, is iffy, and a safety who doesn't cover well can be a liability. He's very smart, though, so he might be a lot like Harrison Smith in that he can mostly make up for it. He also may be better in coverage than what I've seen and heard.

We might have been able to draft Winfield with the pick we got for Harris.

So you think we passed up a pick before 45 for Harris? Not saying we didn't, but it would be absurd if we did. And again, Winfield might be better than I've seen/heard about, and I think he's pretty good.

What we passed on for a Harris trade is pretty much unknowable.

Even if they passed on a 3rd we could have packaged that and our 17 7th rounders to move up? Did we even have roster space for all those picks anyway?

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 376
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/30/2021 10:57:48 PM   
Viking Rich

Looks like Detroit has traded Stafford to the Rams, with Goff going to the Lions:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/30/report-matthew-stafford-headed-to-the-rams-for-jared-goff-picks/

Sam Darnold's Gonna Shock Us All
Post #: 377
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 12:56:29 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Viking Rich

Looks like Detroit has traded Stafford to the Rams, with Goff going to the Lions:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/01/30/report-matthew-stafford-headed-to-the-rams-for-jared-goff-picks/

That's in the realm of a Herschel Walker type of deal.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 378
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 1:26:50 AM   
ratoppenheimer

Field Yates@FieldYates

Rams’ first round picks by year:
2016: Jared Goff
2017: None
2018: None
2019: None
2020: None
2021: None
2022: None
2023: None

And after trading Goff, the last player they took in the first round, the Rams aren’t scheduled to make another first round pick anytime soon.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 379
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 7:01:26 AM   
Brad H

quote:

Field Yates@FieldYates

And after trading Goff, the last player they took in the first round, the Rams aren’t scheduled to make another first round pick anytime soon.

Good for them. They did what they had to do. They beat the Vikings to the punch.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 380
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 7:38:40 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Is Stafford really that good? Is he better than Cousins, for example? I was surprised by just checking now that they are about the same age. I thought Stafford was older. It seems he's been around for a long time.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 381
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 8:55:29 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Is Stafford really that good? Is he better than Cousins, for example? I was surprised by just checking now that they are about the same age. I thought Stafford was older. It seems he's been around for a long time.

It really depends on what metric you use. IMO, Stafford is a better football player and leader than Cousins. I don't think he's a top 5-7 quarterback, but I think he is a 10-15 quarterback. Me personally, I think Cousins is a 20-25 quarterback.

Stafford is a leader. His teammates respect him. I'm not sure Vikings fans can say the same thing about Cousins.

Stafford gets into trouble when he tries to force things. As is the case with many strong-arm quarterbacks, he gets himself into trouble by trying to force things that aren't there. IMO, this is what robs him from ever being a top 8-10 quarterback.

Neither one of them strikes me as a highly intellectual quarterback. Guys like Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady, Allen etc... are playing a different game. They are watching and evaluating everything. They know how to draw players off-sides, catch a defense with too many men on the field and quickly recognize defensive schemes and how to attack them. They are in total control.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 1/31/2021 8:58:23 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 382
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 9:10:32 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

Field Yates@FieldYates

George Allen must still be there.
Post #: 383
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 9:19:29 AM   
quote:

Field Yates@FieldYates

Who’s to say they’re wrong?

Sheesh the core of there team is pretty strong. There QB play was pretty damn poor to where they almost ran the single wing in the Playoffs with beyond a journeyman backup, and playing an obviously injured Jared Goff.

Stafford has been stuck in purgatory for years, and although not a sure fire stud, he is an upgrade who has shown signs of having genuine Toughness/ Pocket Presence, and late game abilities you’d want from your QB.(Minus toughness, all tendencies our QB doesn’t have)
  Post #: 384
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 11:46:53 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

Field Yates@FieldYates

Sheesh the core of there team is pretty strong. There QB play was pretty damn poor to where they almost ran the single wing in the Playoffs with beyond a journeyman backup, and playing an obviously injured Jared Goff.

Stafford has been stuck in purgatory for years, and although not a sure fire stud, he is an upgrade who has shown signs of having genuine Toughness/ Pocket Presence, and late game abilities you’d want from your QB.(Minus toughness, all tendencies our QB doesn’t have)

Obviously no one can say with certainty that they are "wrong". Not sure where the idea of Stafford having pocket presence comes from, Lions QBs have been sacked an average of 43 times a year over the last 7 seasons, and with a bad career 1.9/1 TD/INT ratio, clearly the decisions Stafford has made from the pocket have been, on average, bad. IMO higher risk than return. You can lay all the blame for this on a perennially bad Lions team, but are you willing to mortgage your future on it? Stafford has always been the big armed gunslinger type, I don't think he has ever been considered the "cerebral" type. How fast can he adjust to the Rams offensive system/personnel? It takes time to get dialed in with receivers, does it take most of the 2021 regular season to get that on track? Frankly, I don't think a healthy Stafford is an upgrade over a healthy Goff.
Post #: 385
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 12:33:51 PM   
quote:

quote:

quote:

Field Yates@FieldYates

Obviously no one can say with certainty that they are "wrong". Not sure where the idea of Stafford having pocket presence comes from, Lions QBs have been sacked an average of 43 times a year over the last 7 seasons, and with a bad career 1.9/1 TD/INT ratio, clearly the decisions Stafford has made from the pocket have been, on average, bad. IMO higher risk than return. You can lay all the blame for this on a perennially bad Lions team, but are you willing to mortgage your future on it? Stafford has always been the big armed gunslinger type, I don't think he has ever been considered the "cerebral" type. How fast can he adjust to the Rams offensive system/personnel? It takes time to get dialed in with receivers, does it take most of the 2021 regular season to get that on track? Frankly, I don't think a healthy Stafford is an upgrade over a healthy Goff.

Watching Stafford against the Vikes twice a year all these seasons I’m not sure I saw a team we got to the QB quicker (Like under 2 seconds consistently) So was his OLine horrific for the most part, of course.

Perhaps I see a QB twice a year that actually simply steps up an onrushing LT/ blind side I consider that a step up in “Pocket awareness” in comparison to what I see from our QB- Forgive me...

We’ll see if Stafford realizes his pretty high bar coming out? I also recall another gunslinger who came here and learned pretty quickly a new system.

I think the Rams are swinging for the fences, and I give them credit.
  Post #: 386
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 1:41:49 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Field Yates@FieldYates

Watching Stafford against the Vikes twice a year all these seasons I’m not sure I saw a team we got to the QB quicker (Like under 2 seconds consistently) So was his OLine horrific for the most part, of course.

Perhaps I see a QB twice a year that actually simply steps up an onrushing LT/ blind side I consider that a step up in “Pocket awareness” in comparison to what I see from our QB- Forgive me...

We’ll see if Stafford realizes his pretty high bar coming out? I also recall another gunslinger who came here and learned pretty quickly a new system.

I think the Lions actually have a better OLine than the Rams.

This trade had alot of similarities to us getting Cousins. Good skill players and a piss poor line.

Hopefully DET doesn't use this trade as a spring board to becoming good. They could swing for the fences on the QBOTF they want. They have to ammo to move up now.
Post #: 387
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 1:56:39 PM   
ronhextall

Rams have been to Super Bowl recently. That’s better than the Vikings.

Crazy what it will take to land Watson.
Post #: 388
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 1:59:53 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

Rumor is

Two 1sts

Two 2nds

Two young good defensive players
Post #: 389
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 2:04:13 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

We were to the NFCCG the year before we got Cousins.

Although I think Rams defense is slightly better than what we had in Cousins' first year.
Post #: 390
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 2:14:21 PM   
Mark Anderson

I should add this.

Stafford is better than Cousins. IMO
Post #: 391
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 2:44:08 PM   
ronhextall

If I didn’t know the Vikings performance the past several years but you told me Speilman was GM this long I would have assumed a lot more than one blowout loss in NFC title game and no back-to-back playoff appearances.

He has more than had his chance.
Post #: 392
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 5:33:11 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Field Yates@FieldYates

Unfortunately, (someone was saying 2 1sts, 2 2nds, and 2 good young defenders), I think the Rams just got "Herscheled". By Detroit of all teams.
Post #: 393
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 5:34:29 PM   
thebigo

My bet is that Belichek dropped out of the Stafford bidding early on.
Post #: 394
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 7:06:58 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Cousins has a better career passing rating than Stafford. I do believe the two are very comparable. I don't see Stafford as the obviously better player.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 395
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 9:37:25 PM   
Pager

quote:

My bet is that Belichek dropped out of the Stafford bidding early on.

I just read Stafford had NE on his no-trade list. His only team! He'd rather go to the Jets, let that sink in

https://sports.yahoo.com/nfl-patriots-were-only-team-on-matt-staffords-notrade-list-lions-185002532.html

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 396
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 9:50:39 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Field Yates@FieldYates

I think the Lions actually have a better OLine than the Rams.

This trade had alot of similarities to us getting Cousins. Good skill players and a piss poor line.

Hopefully DET doesn't use this trade as a spring board to becoming good. They could swing for the fences on the QBOTF they want. They have to ammo to move up now.

Sure but Jacksonville isn't giving up the first overall. Picking QBs is still a huge crap shoot and who will be available at 7? With as many QB hungry team, they'll probably have to overpay to not get leapfrogged. I think Goff is terrible and benefited from a much better system than about any QB in the NFL.

How well does Detriot do with high draft picks? New GM. Be interesting.

Post #: 397
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 10:26:43 PM   
marty

The Rams should have made that trade FOR AARON RODGERS.

Goff throws half his balls in the dirt, so Stafford is an upgrade. Stafford is slightly better than Cousins, but less of an arm, I think. Stafford may get a chance to throw more deep stuff with the Rams.

Stafford will benefit from having a cerebral HC and system, along with something he almost never saw in Detroit, a decent defense. But is Stafford cerebral enough to take the team to the SB, certainly, he's better than Goff, but they no longer have a RB like Gurley.

Stafford has been stuck with poor defenses, and poor HCs, this could be a very nice opportunity for him. But like Cousins, who came from a team with bad defenses, did it really make a lot difference, or might slow starts also be a reason their defenses play poorly ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 398
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 10:32:37 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

The Rams should have made that trade FOR AARON RODGERS.

Goff throws half his balls in the dirt, so Stafford is an upgrade. Stafford is slightly better than Cousins, but less of an arm, I think. Stafford may get a chance to throw more deep stuff with the Rams.

Stafford will benefit from having a cerebral HC and system, along with something he almost never saw in Detroit, a decent defense. But is Stafford cerebral enough to take the team to the SB, certainly, he's better than Goff, but they no longer have a RB like Gurley.

Stafford has been stuck with poor defenses, and poor HCs, this could be a very nice opportunity for him. But like Cousins, who came from a team with bad defenses, did it really make a lot difference, or might slow starts also be a reason their defenses play poorly ?

Do you understand the business side of football at all? GB can't trade AR.

Post #: 399
RE: General Vikes Talk - 1/31/2021 11:14:50 PM   
marty

I just read an article about GB trading Rodgers.

They said GB could trade Rodgers now, but that it makes much more financial sense to trade him in June. Unless several writers don't understand the business side of football like Pager.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 400
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  14 15 [16] 17 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode