Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 1:16:34 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I just read an article about GB trading Rodgers.

They said GB could trade Rodgers now, but that it makes much more financial sense to trade him in June. Unless several writers don't understand the business side of football like Pager.

Of course they "could trade him" - didn't realize it would be taken so literal. But it would make zero cap sense to for the Packers (not to mention they would never trade him, they'd make him retire first). They trade him and have a 32M cap hit and 6M savings. 18M cap hit in 2022 and 3M cap hit. That's 53M in dead cap space for a guy not playing for you anymore. They are currently 30M over the cap right now. They would not be able to trade for any established players. Ppl are freaking about us being 12M over.

SMH

< Message edited by Pager -- 2/1/2021 1:18:19 AM >

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 401
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 7:29:17 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

The Rams should have made that trade FOR AARON RODGERS.

Goff throws half his balls in the dirt, so Stafford is an upgrade. Stafford is slightly better than Cousins, but less of an arm, I think. Stafford may get a chance to throw more deep stuff with the Rams.

Stafford will benefit from having a cerebral HC and system, along with something he almost never saw in Detroit, a decent defense. But is Stafford cerebral enough to take the team to the SB, certainly, he's better than Goff, but they no longer have a RB like Gurley.

Stafford has been stuck with poor defenses, and poor HCs, this could be a very nice opportunity for him. But like Cousins, who came from a team with bad defenses, did it really make a lot difference, or might slow starts also be a reason their defenses play poorly ?

My understanding is they did.

Green Bay would be stupid to trade Rodgers. They are damn good with him and would suck without him.
Post #: 402
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 8:06:27 AM   
marty

Yes, and we want GB to be stupid.

I don't understand all the financial aspects, but a couple of articles stated that GB would save quite a bit of money by waiting until June to trade him.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 403
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 8:19:00 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Yes, and we want GB to be stupid.

I don't understand all the financial aspects, but a couple of articles stated that GB would save quite a bit of money by waiting until June to trade him.

POTENTIAL OUT: 2022, 4 YR, $126,990,000; $17,204,000 DEAD CAP

per sportrac

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 404
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 8:26:41 AM   
Bill Johanesen

We'd we fools not to trade for Watson and Rodgers now. Don't gamble away all of our stockpiled first round picks on crapshoot draftees. And don't squander the tens of millions in cap space on useless luxury acquisitions like guard. Finally, don't let Cousins' contract be an issue because we can always dump him later.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 2/1/2021 9:04:56 AM >
Post #: 405
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 9:53:55 AM   
Phil Riewer

Phil Mackey
@PhilMackey
·
17m
EyesEyes
Quote Tweet
Evan Massey
@massey_evan
· 2h
#49ers still looking to make a move at QB. Kirk Cousins, I'm told, is a name to keep an eye on. If #Vikings are open to dealing, San Francisco will push hard to acquire him. Ties with Shanahan make this an intriguing potential fit.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 406
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 10:21:13 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Phil Mackey
@PhilMackey
·
17m
EyesEyes
Quote Tweet
Evan Massey
@massey_evan
· 2h
#49ers still looking to make a move at QB. Kirk Cousins, I'm told, is a name to keep an eye on. If #Vikings are open to dealing, San Francisco will push hard to acquire him. Ties with Shanahan make this an intriguing potential fit.

SF would have to offer the Vikings a Stafford/Goff like deal to make it worthwhile. Stafford is better than Cousins, but not by a lot, and while Goff isn’t very good, neither is Garoppolo, who can’t even stay on the field. If San Fran offered this years 1st and 2nd, and next years 1st round draft picks, plus Garoppolo, I’d probably do it if I were the Vikings.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 407
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 10:27:51 AM   
Murph

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

We'd we fools not to trade for Watson and Rodgers now. Don't gamble away all of our stockpiled first round picks on crapshoot draftees. And don't squander the tens of millions in cap space on useless luxury acquisitions like guard. Finally, don't let Cousins' contract be an issue because we can always dump him later.

RS would be derelict in his duties if he didn't explore upgrading the QB; we aren't talking about a minor change, these players are transcendent, HOFer's at the most important position in sports.

Trade Cousins to SF and go all in on Watson!

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 408
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 10:31:32 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

Phil Mackey
@PhilMackey
·
17m
EyesEyes
Quote Tweet
Evan Massey
@massey_evan
· 2h

SF would have to offer the Vikings a Stafford/Goff like deal to make it worthwhile. Stafford is better than Cousins, but not by a lot, and while Goff isn’t very good, neither is Garoppolo, who can’t even stay on the field. If San Fran offered this years 1st and 2nd, and next years 1st round draft picks, plus Garoppolo, I’d probably do it if I were the Vikings.

Garoppolo has two years left on his deal and the cap hits are $26M and $27M. There is only a couple million in dead cap so the Niners can deal him easily. We could play him for one or both years while grooming our new rookie QB of the future.

On the flipside Cousins has $41M in dead cap space making it nearly impossible for us to deal him. Fire Spielman.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 409
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 10:47:32 AM   
David F.

quote:

On the flipside Cousins has $41M in dead cap space making it nearly impossible for us to deal him. Fire Spielman.

If I read and understand correctly, if we trade him after June 1 we'd have $20M in dead cap which would hit $10M in 2021 and $10M in 2022. That's less bad I guess.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 410
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 11:13:12 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

Phil Mackey
@PhilMackey
·
17m
EyesEyes
Quote Tweet
Evan Massey
@massey_evan
· 2h

Stafford is on a very friendly contract. Goff is not. LA paid picks to dump salary. That was more like an NBA trade.

Garoppolo is on a very friendly contract. Cousins is not. Minnesota would pay to dump Cousins salary. That would be offset by Cousins being a better QB, but no way would we get two #1s and a #2.

As far as dead cap, year, cap, etc, Goff and Cousins have very similar contracts.
Post #: 411
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 11:17:43 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

Phil Mackey
@PhilMackey
·
17m
EyesEyes
Quote Tweet
Evan Massey
@massey_evan
· 2h

Garoppolo has two years left on his deal and the cap hits are $26M and $27M. There is only a couple million in dead cap so the Niners can deal him easily. We could play him for one or both years while grooming our new rookie QB of the future.

So now we are getting somewhere.

Goff has $43M in dead cap yet the Rams traded him. By forking over picks.
Post #: 412
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 11:23:41 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

If I read and understand correctly, if we trade him after June 1 we'd have $20M in dead cap which would hit $10M in 2021 and $10M in 2022. That's less bad I guess.

I don't think that is correct but this is just off hitting a button on OverTheCap so not sure:

Pre June 1 dead cap: 2021-41M, 2022-10M
Post Jun 1 dead cap: 2021-31M, 2022-10M
Post #: 413
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 11:26:06 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

quote:

RS would be derelict in his duties if he didn't explore upgrading the QB; we aren't talking about a minor change, these players are transcendent, HOFer's at the most important position in sports.

Trade Cousins to SF and go all in on Watson!

Sure. The due diligence probably already happened, a 5 minute conference call.
Post #: 414
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 11:27:11 AM   
Brad H

Not sure if something is going down, but Kirk Cousins is trending on Twitter in SoCal.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 415
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 11:36:03 AM   
Bill Johanesen

We have the 24th worse cap situation.

We have players we need to cut, and that is WITHOUT the likely COVID-related reduced 2021 max cap figure.

We have needs out the wazoo: two guards, a DT, one-two DEs, S, 3 WR, 3 CB.

We don't even have a 2nd round pick this year to use as trade capital.

We have a QB who is virtually untradeable due to his high contact.

But somehow, someway a few people here seem convinced we are real players, or even in the running, for Watson! yeah, the NFL collectively holds their breath until heavyweight Minnesota rolls into town with all their assets. LMAO!!!
Post #: 416
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 11:41:36 AM   
Brad H

quote:

We have players we need to cut, and that is WITHOUT the likely COVID-related reduced 2021 max cap figure.

But somehow, someway a few people here seem convinced we are real players, or even in the running, for Watson! yeah, the NFL collectively holds their breath until heavyweight Minnesota rolls into town with all their assets. LMAO!!!

Hearing Niners may be interested.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 417
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 11:43:08 AM   
Bruce Johnson

it's clear that Stafford has not had a very good supporting cast. I heard the radio voice of the Lions say today that while he has been in Detroit, he has never (or once) had a top ten running back and the defense has never (or once) been in the top ten. He's been there for more than ten years. That's pretty bad.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 418
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 11:45:05 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I'm reading on Twitter that the Niners have a lot of interest in obtaining Kirk from us. They want Watson, too. I don't believe they are in line to draft one of the top quarterbacks in April, so they want to improve their quarterback situation via a trade or free agency.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 419
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 11:47:59 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

Hearing Niners may be interested.

Wonder what picks they will want to offset absorbing Cousins' contract?
Post #: 420
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 11:57:14 AM   
Bill Johanesen

Earlier this week, Rams general manager Les Snead did not provide a public vote of confidence for Goff when asked multiple times about the quarterback's future with the Rams.

"Moving on from Jared Goff, that's ... the money we've invested in him, that's not easy to overcome," said Snead, who added later that "anything can be done" in a cap-based system.
Post #: 421
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 12:15:08 PM   
marty

The Vikings tried to get Brees, and figured out a way to get Cousins. Now they need to once again figure out a way to get what is the best QB available in Watson.

The Vikings tried with Cousins, and it didn't work out, lacks mobility.

Now work out a mega 3 or 4 team trade and get Watson. You could lose a few draft picks, and still come out better, because you got a better QB, and Watson is young, you can build around him.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 422
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 12:18:47 PM   
David Levine

quote:

The Vikings tried to get Brees, and figured out a way to get Cousins. Now they need to once again figure out a way to get what is the best QB available in Watson.

The Vikings tried with Cousins, and it didn't work out, lacks mobility.

Now work out a mega 3 or 4 team trade and get Watson. You could lose a few draft picks, and still come out better, because you got a better QB, and Watson is young, you can build around him.

I have to get you some credit. That's a little closer to a plan than "draft the next Tom Brady in the 6th round".

Now try to come up with a way that it could happen where everyone would actually do it.

Otherwise you're just an "Underpants Gnome"...

< Message edited by David Levine -- 2/1/2021 12:20:45 PM >
Post #: 423
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 12:37:09 PM   
Bill Johanesen

...and Watson is young, you can build around him.

Yeah, with no picks and no cap but tons of magic pixey dust.
Post #: 424
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 12:44:11 PM   
marty

I am not a gnome, I am the catalyst.

I told you the way to win a SB, is by getting a great, mobile QB like Watson. Now it's up to the knowledgeable money people to figure out a way to work.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 425
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode