Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 12:46:03 PM   
David Levine

If there was a feasible way to get Watson, you absolutely do it. Hell, I'd take it a step farther and fire Zimmer and hire Bieniemy.

Now, there is obviously a huge risk with hiring Andy Reid's OC as you HC...but there are two very intriguing reasons to do it.

1. He's Watson's choice for a HC by a large margin.
2. He's not Zimmer.

But if there isn't path to get Watson, pining for him on a message board isn't going to "put it out into the universe and make it happen".
Post #: 426
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 12:47:02 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I am not a gnome, I am the catalyst.

I told you the way to win a SB, is by getting a great, mobile QB like Watson. Now it's up to the knowledgeable money people to figure out a way to work.

You are NOT a catalyst.

You think you can wish things into reality.
Post #: 427
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 12:54:30 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

it's clear that Stafford has not had a very good supporting cast. I heard the radio voice of the Lions say today that while he has been in Detroit, he has never (or once) had a top ten running back and the defense has never (or once) been in the top ten. He's been there for more than ten years. That's pretty bad.

I wonder how much his cap numbers have hamstrung them? I believe he was drafted the last year before draft pick salaries were set, and top QBs instantly signed for top (compared to veteran star QBs) money.
Post #: 428
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 1:04:03 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

I told you the way to win a SB, is by getting a great, mobile QB like Watson. Now it's up to the knowledgeable money people to figure out a way to work.

But in your plan Adam Freakin' Theilen is "untouchable" in a Watson trade.
Post #: 429
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 1:07:27 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

You are NOT a catalyst.

Rather have J.C. blab incessantly about accepting mediocrity.

Catalyst? More like legend in his own mind.
Post #: 430
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 1:15:20 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

You are NOT a catalyst.

Rather have J.C. blab incessantly about accepting mediocrity.

Catalyst? More like legend in his own mind.

He literally believes that no one else could've come up with the idea that the Vikings should get Watson.

And since he put the idea out there, its up to others to just make it happen.
Post #: 431
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 2:07:03 PM   
bohumm

I think all of this Cousins-to-Niners talk comes from one guy who may not know anything making one tweet.

Remember, Zimmer, Spielman, and the Wilfs all seem fine with Cousins throwing 15-20 times per game and riding the generational output of Cook and our stellar defense to the Super Bowl/Divisional Round once in a while......Why waste time here; go find the next Game Stop.
Post #: 432
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 3:11:58 PM   
David Levine

Probably the required "Diversity interview" before they hand the job to Klint Kubiak:

Per numerous reports, the Vikings will be bringing in New York Giants’ wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert to interview for the job.

According to our friends at Big Blue View, Tolbert has been a receivers coach in the NFL since 2003 and has never before been a coordinator at any level. He does, however, have ties to Gary Kubiak, as he was the receivers coach for the Denver Broncos in 2015 and 2016, when Kubiak coached the team to a victory in Super Bowl 50.

Tolbert got his start in the NFL with the Arizona Cardinals in 2003 as their wide receivers coach, meaning that he would have been on the Cardinals’ sidelines for the infamous “Nate Poole” game that finished that season. He’s also had stops in Buffalo (2004 - 2009), Carolina (2010) before his time with Denver. He was the Broncos’ wide receivers coach from 2011 to 2017, and has been with the Giants since 2018.
Post #: 433
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 4:46:03 PM   
Brad H

This whole Cousins to San Francisco thing may actually have some legs to it.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 434
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 4:49:27 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

Probably the required "Diversity interview" before they hand the job to Klint Kubiak:

Per numerous reports, the Vikings will be bringing in New York Giants’ wide receivers coach Tyke Tolbert to interview for the job.

According to our friends at Big Blue View, Tolbert has been a receivers coach in the NFL since 2003 and has never before been a coordinator at any level. He does, however, have ties to Gary Kubiak, as he was the receivers coach for the Denver Broncos in 2015 and 2016, when Kubiak coached the team to a victory in Super Bowl 50.

Tolbert got his start in the NFL with the Arizona Cardinals in 2003 as their wide receivers coach, meaning that he would have been on the Cardinals’ sidelines for the infamous “Nate Poole” game that finished that season. He’s also had stops in Buffalo (2004 - 2009), Carolina (2010) before his time with Denver. He was the Broncos’ wide receivers coach from 2011 to 2017, and has been with the Giants since 2018.

I read somewhere Zim is looking for an experienced OC. Translation: some crusty old guy who will keep running the ball no matter the down or distance.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 435
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 4:51:06 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

I think if we trade Cousins prior to the start of the new league year we only suffer a 21ml dead cap hit.

Post #: 436
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 4:54:43 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

I think if we trade Cousins prior to the start of the new league year we only suffer a 21ml dead cap hit.

Maybe?

If the 49ers are on the hook for his full 2021 salary, do we only pay his signing bonus for this year and next year (which would total 20M)?

< Message edited by David Levine -- 2/1/2021 4:56:02 PM >
Post #: 437
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 4:59:23 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe?

If the 49ers are on the hook for his full 2021 salary, do we only pay his signing bonus for this year and next year (which would total 20M)?

I don't pretend to know the ins and outs of that stuff.

Post #: 438
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 5:04:46 PM   
David F.

quote:

Ross Tucker says he believes it - and thinks Garoppolo goes to NE.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 439
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 5:15:43 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe?

Spotrac says that if he's traded after June 1 then we only get hit $10M in 2021 and $10M in 2022. Yes I get the irony of the word 'only'. It says if we cut him it doesn't matter if it's before or after June 1. You can look yourself just click on his contract and then click on 2021.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 440
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 5:22:07 PM   
marty

It's a twisted idea to suggest that I think no one else could come up with the idea of the Vikes getting Watson.

It was talked about before I ever posted on it. I am not taking an credit for it. It has nothing to do with my ego, and I am not taking any credit for it.

I am very much a catalyst, on some things here, and in other areas of my life. I

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 441
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 5:24:31 PM   
David Levine

quote:

It's a twisted idea to suggest that I think no one else could come up with the idea of the Vikes getting Watson.

It was talked about before I ever posted on it. I am not taking an credit for it. It has nothing to do with my ego, and I am not taking any credit for it.

I am very much a catalyst, on some things here, and in other areas of my life. I

So its not your idea, and you have no idea how it could work, but you're the catalyst?

I don't think that word means what you think it means...
Post #: 442
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 5:26:53 PM   
marty

I have wished for things, and many have come true in my life. And the same is true with the Vikings.

Going back to the Strib threads, I wished for RC to be a Viking, and both Chris Doleman and Randy Moss to return, and they did. I wished for Sheldon Richardson, and was told it was a playstation fantasy, the Vikes were short on money, yet somehow he was signed.

I am catalyst, and believe that the Vikes getting D.Watson would be very exciting, and a very good thing for the team.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 443
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 5:29:46 PM   
marty

Bill and Dave, you guys are just rude sometimes.

Keeping Theilen would NOT be a stupid idea, it would be good for Watson to have 2 good starting WRs to build around. You trade Theilen, and then the passing game gets fairly easy to shutdown with only Jefferson to worry about.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 444
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 5:31:46 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe?

Spotrac says that if he's traded after June 1 then we only get hit $10M in 2021 and $10M in 2022. Yes I get the irony of the word 'only'. It says if we cut him it doesn't matter if it's before or after June 1. You can look yourself just click on his contract and then click on 2021.

The way I understood it was that if Cousins is still on our roster at the start of the new league year his salary is guarenteed through this ext. If cut prior to the new league year we suffer a 31ml cap hit. The least expensive is to trade him before the new league year starts only costing us 21ml.

Post #: 445
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 5:33:33 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I have wished for things, and many have come true in my life. And the same is true with the Vikings.

Going back to the Strib threads, I wished for RC to be a Viking, and both Chris Doleman and Randy Moss to return, and they did. I wished for Sheldon Richardson, and was told it was a playstation fantasy, the Vikes were short on money, yet somehow he was signed.

I am catalyst, and believe that the Vikes getting D.Watson would be very exciting, and a very good thing for the team.

So does everyone else!

That doesn't make you a catalyst. All those things would've happened regardless of your hopes and dreams.

I've had teams draft, sign or trade for players I coveted dozens of times. I'm not arrogant enough to think I had anything to do with those events happening.

< Message edited by David Levine -- 2/1/2021 5:34:39 PM >
Post #: 446
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 5:33:56 PM   
marty

No David, I can't just make acquiring Watson happen.

I think the idea needs to put out there and talked about. Then we have discussions about what it might take to get him.

Then someone that understands the money part, figures out a way to make that part of it work.

Then we read an article somewhere that states something like "Today the Vikings acquired Deshaun Watson from the Houston Texans in exchange for ...."

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 447
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 5:35:55 PM   
David Levine

quote:

I think the idea needs to put out there and talked about. Then we have discussions about what it might take to get him.

Then someone that understands the money part, figures out a way to make that part of it work.

Then we read an article somewhere that states something like "Today the Vikings acquired Deshaun Watson from the Houston Texans in exchange for ...."

So you think if we talk about it enough on this tiny little message board, Rick Spielman will see it and make it happen?

You don't think that he's already aware that a top flight young QB is available in trade?
Post #: 448
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 5:37:35 PM   
marty

David, I think the word catalyst means what I think it means, am not sure what you think it means:

"A catalyst is an event or person causing a change. ... The noun catalyst is something or someone that causes a change and is derived from the Greek word katalύein, meaning "to dissolve." It can be somewhat ordinary, like when moving to a warmer climate was the catalyst for getting a short, sporty haircut."

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 449
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/1/2021 5:38:00 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

So you think if we talk about it enough on this tiny little message board, Rick Spielman will see it and make it happen?

You don't think that he's already aware that a top flight young QB is available in trade?

Moritz Bohringer. You heard it here first.

Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode