Haven’t posted in a while as life just seems to keep getting in the way. I enjoy catching up each week and reading the varying opinions so I’ll throw in mine:
1. I really dislike Cousins and think a lot of the team feels the same way. That being said, I really don’t place any blame on him for the 0-2 start. He is what he is....a very accurate passer with a strong arm who typically needs time to throw. You can tell he has worked to try and be more mobile and even had a couple of big runs the first two games. He is just limited physically. This offense hasn’t been the problem since the middle of last season IMO. They have been productive despite a bad oline and have put us in a position to win the first 2 games this year.
2. I wanted Zimmer to try and get more yards before the potential game winning kick. It might be just my “Vikings mentality” but I fully expected him to miss that kick.
3, I am very interested in how they play this week. Usually this kind of a play (missed kick) kills a team but I like what I’m hearing from Joseph and Theilen and how they are reacting to this. They seem to be rallying together. I think the team feels like they should be in a better position and are going to go and try to prove something this week. I could be totally wrong but just a gut feeling I get. If they get blown out I’ll say Zim has lost the team. I just don’t see it happening.
4. I feel like, for the first time in a long time, we have a punter who can boom one from our own endzone when we need it.
5. Welcome back Danielle. Pay the man!
6. Very disappointed in the run defense so far. I thought we’d be tougher up the gut with Pierce and Tomlinson but I see them getting pushed back a lot. Maybe it’s a matter of rarely playing with 3 LB’s but we seem to give up at least 5 yds every play on the ground.
7. Dantzler needs to just play. Breeland has shown nothing in the preseason and regular season so far. We had some bad luck with Gladney and injuries with Mike Hughes that have really set back our secondary. I don’t know that we have enough on the roster to fix this so our so-called DB guru needs to somehow work some magic with this group. The pass rush can offset some of that and I think we’ll see more pressure with the home field advantage but I fully expect our pass defense to struggle on the road especially.
8. Pleasant surprises so far: KJ Osborn, Dantzler when he played this week, passing offense continuing it’s success without Irv, creativity on offense and punting.
9. Disappointments so far: Tomlinson, Harrison (especially based on contract extension), defense overall, health issues with Barr after missing most of last season, Darrisaw injury as well and losing 2 games we easily should have won.
Good summary … I agree with most …
I have no idea if Cousins is liked by his teammates or not, don’t really care. IMO the likability / leadership discussions are way overblown … some QBs carry the ‘it’ factor, some dont. With no say in the matter, KC is the QB and at least he can be very productive.
I just read a blog that we are tied for 2nd to last in field goal % since 2014 - to tie or win in the last 2 minutes of games. About 50%! I thought we were a little iffy but that is just plain awful. How the hell can you justify not taking one shot at the endzone before kicking it?
I think we win 2 of our next 3 games and keep the season is in front us. 1-4 vs 2-3 just seems like a huge difference to me. If we go 1-4 … I will have to break bread with the people I have been blasting for giving up too soon … 1-4 and I think the rest of the season will be a mad scramble for 7 wins.
< Message edited by Tom Sykes -- 9/21/2021 10:11:24 AM >