Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  53 54 [55] 56 57   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/1/2021 12:18:23 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

It sounds like the Vikings are going to switch some things up on defense this year.

Zimmer: "Offenses have changed so much, it's time that we do some things differently, change and adapt."

(Will Ragatz on Twitter)

It only took him 7 years to come to this conclusion.

His defense was pretty stout until last year and they lost a lot of talent.....I don't agree with your take.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1351
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/1/2021 3:57:48 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The #Vikings interior OL is one of the weakest team position groups in the NFL.

The unit put up a 34.2 grade in 2020 that fell short of any team in the past three years combined.

(PFF MIN Vikings on Twitter)

As I have been saying, the worst interior offensive line in NFL history and it's not even close.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1352
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/1/2021 4:07:35 PM   
David F.

quote:

The unit put up a 34.2 grade in 2020 that fell short of any team in the past three years combined.

As I have been saying, the worst interior offensive line in NFL history and it's not even close.

Did they mention if there were any more $8M corners available though?

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1353
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/1/2021 4:18:04 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

But it's amazing that the offense performed at the level that they did last year. Despite the historically poor interior offensive line, the worst defense in Zimmer's career, an embarrassingly poor special teams unit, it was Cousins fault that we didn't make the playoffs, though.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1354
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/1/2021 4:50:26 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

But it's amazing that the offense performed at the level that they did last year. Despite the historically poor interior offensive line, the worst defense in Zimmer's career, an embarrassingly poor special teams unit, it was Cousins fault that we didn't make the playoffs, though.

Wow, are you church buddies with Cousins or something? Hope if you repeat it enough it will be true?

Cousins is a throwback to the statues from 1975 but making 2025 era coin. Meanwhile we need extra good blockers to cover for the statue's lack of pocket awareness, habitual panic, and very happy yet very heavy cement feet.

And he is not a leader. Doesn't have IT. In a war he'd be the soldier back stateside with a pencil in his ear counting crates of peaches. Diggs, Theilen, Jefferson, Griffin have all called him out.
Post #: 1355
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/1/2021 5:49:53 PM   
Pager

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-offseason-preview-ten-step-plan-return-playoffs-2021

Check out the pass plays called vs expected. Archaic play calling.

But it's all Cousins fault we didn't make the playoffs

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 1356
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/1/2021 6:03:32 PM   
Murph

I'm too old to care about just making the playoffs.

My question is he good enough to consistently contend for the Super Bowl?

If the answer is no, which it is with Kirk; it's time to move on.

I think the best thing for the long term future of the team is to trade Kirk and try to trade with the Falcons for #4; draft Fields or Lance. imho

It'll never happen but one can hope.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 1357
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/1/2021 6:18:53 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

I think the best thing for the long term future of the team is to trade Kirk and try to trade with the Falcons for #4; draft Fields or Lance. imho

Agree 100%. They aren't winning a Super Bowl with Kirk Cousins at QB. Period.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1358
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/1/2021 6:54:31 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

Looking at the trade value chart it looks like we would have to begin the offer to the Falcons with the next three number one draft picks. Since they don't have a second round selection, even their entire draft this year would not be enough for #4. Those top draft picks come at a huge price.

Post #: 1359
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/1/2021 6:55:23 PM   
marty

I have very little faith in KC, but if the defense suddenly became really good with the additions [and maybe Parsons], Cook stayed healthy,

Cousins is better than Trent Dilfer, the old John Elway, or the old Peyton Manning that won SBs with Denver.

< Message edited by marty -- 4/1/2021 6:58:29 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1360
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/1/2021 7:00:15 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-offseason-preview-ten-step-plan-return-playoffs-2021

Who even said that? Maybe Bruce can answer (or answer through his proxy, twitter).

Most posts about Cousins are he doesn't live up to his salary, has a terrible time in the pocket, doesn't have leadership qualities, isn't the QB to lead us to a SB, etc.

So who said Cousins is the reason we failed to make the playoffs in 2020? Or is that some strawman you are going with?
Post #: 1361
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/1/2021 9:54:22 PM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

Who even said that? Maybe Bruce can answer (or answer through his proxy, twitter).

Most posts about Cousins are he doesn't live up to his salary, has a terrible time in the pocket, doesn't have leadership qualities, isn't the QB to lead us to a SB, etc.

So who said Cousins is the reason we failed to make the playoffs in 2020? Or is that some strawman you are going with?

I'm just pulling a bigo. Having some fun. As a fan, I don't have a issue with Cousins salary, never liked the extension, but performance and annual average for his contract is market rate, imo. Cousins is average in the pocket base on straight drop back time to release, but gets compared to generational talents like Brady (who might be the best of all time at small movements in the pocket that buy time). Average with our interior line is a disaster. I don't pretend to know his leadership in the lockerroom. This board brings up Griffen, Diggs, JJ, etc but ignore Diggs comments while in Buffalo, Cook's comments that he believes Cousins can lead us to the SB, etc.

As Marty pointed out - Cousins is superior to the Brad Johnsons, Dilfers, and old Mannings that won superbowls. Only two QBs in the last twenty years were able to win a Superbowl when the combined rush rank and defensive rank was higher than 15. If I remember right, one was Aaron Rodgers. It's a team game.

I blame team building and coaching a lot more than Cousins, but that's just my opinion. And I've gone on record that I want QBs drafted or am open to a trade of Cousins and starting the search for QBOTF right now.

< Message edited by Pager -- 4/1/2021 9:55:36 PM >

Post #: 1362
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/2/2021 3:53:16 AM   
Bruce Johnson

We were like a boxer that took a couple of big hits early last year with the injuries to Hunter and Barr plus the opt out of Pierce. Late in the season Kendricks was gone. Injuries do play a big part in whether our team can be a serious contender or not. A great defense can sure make things better for the overall team. We went to the NFC Championship game with a solid defense that year. (2017)

The defense still is lacking in pass rush. That's a big deal in today's game. Sometimes the improvement has to come within the team. Wonnum in year two hopefully can make a big step forward. On offense, I'm still hoping for a big contribution from Udoh. Those are two glaring positions of need that can be filled from within. That may be the key to the upcoming season's success.

Post #: 1363
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/2/2021 7:53:07 AM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm just pulling a bigo. Having some fun. As a fan, I don't have a issue with Cousins salary, never liked the extension, but performance and annual average for his contract is market rate, imo. Cousins is average in the pocket base on straight drop back time to release, but gets compared to generational talents like Brady (who might be the best of all time at small movements in the pocket that buy time). Average with our interior line is a disaster. I don't pretend to know his leadership in the lockerroom. This board brings up Griffen, Diggs, JJ, etc but ignore Diggs comments while in Buffalo, Cook's comments that he believes Cousins can lead us to the SB, etc.

As Marty pointed out - Cousins is superior to the Brad Johnsons, Dilfers, and old Mannings that won superbowls. Only two QBs in the last twenty years were able to win a Superbowl when the combined rush rank and defensive rank was higher than 15. If I remember right, one was Aaron Rodgers. It's a team game.

I blame team building and coaching a lot more than Cousins, but that's just my opinion. And I've gone on record that I want QBs drafted or am open to a trade of Cousins and starting the search for QBOTF right now.

Cousins was the 30th ranked starter last year in the last two minutes of halves. He's not a leader, he's a $12-million quarterback making $33-million. You can't earn the respect of your teammates or win big games with those kinds of numbers.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/2/2021 8:05:34 AM >

Post #: 1364
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/2/2021 11:04:43 AM   
Pager

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

Cousins was the 30th ranked starter last year in the last two minutes of halves. He's not a leader, he's a $12-million quarterback making $33-million. You can't earn the respect of your teammates or win big games with those kinds of numbers.

Teammates also know when players don't do their assignments - miss blocks, drop passes, run the wrong routes, and see terrible play calling (all which happened in the final two minutes of halves last year). Again I don't know how Cousins leadership in the locker room is viewed.

I won't even comment on your continued assertion he's a 12M QB. Or cherry picked stats - sample size for that is incredibly small and statistically insignificant, nor does it have any context.

Post #: 1365
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/2/2021 11:25:41 AM   
Steve Lentz

Improve the Ol. No more waiting. No more excuses. Get a couple OL that can actually block. I think it will make a huge difference.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1366
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/2/2021 11:35:16 AM   
Bruce Johnson

The Vikings have a new offensive line coach. Are you ready for this? It's Randall McDaniel. Technically, he is a "co-offensive line coach".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sd5vSmPzVcA

I'm confused. Is this an April Fools Day joke, or true?

Edit: It looks like it is an April Fools joke. By the way, I don't like them.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 4/2/2021 11:38:00 AM >

Post #: 1367
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/2/2021 11:37:43 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Improve the Ol. No more waiting. No more excuses. Get a couple OL that can actually block. I think it will make a huge difference.

2 boxes to check off and they kill this off-season. An A++. And we're in contention to win it all. The bounce of the ball, injuries up to Kara/good luck. Chemistry.
Post #: 1368
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/2/2021 12:30:31 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

Teammates also know when players don't do their assignments - miss blocks, drop passes, run the wrong routes, and see terrible play calling (all which happened in the final two minutes of halves last year). Again I don't know how Cousins leadership in the locker room is viewed.

I won't even comment on your continued assertion he's a 12M QB. Or cherry picked stats - sample size for that is incredibly small and statistically insignificant, nor does it have any context.

If people are going to use stats when saying the guy's contract is valued correctly, one should also be able to point out his stats during crunch time. You can't just ignore the last two minutes of halves as if other players were playing around him. It was the same guys and he choked!

Post #: 1369
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/2/2021 1:23:59 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Some people think KC is a 33 mill per year franchise level QB , being denied his rightful place in the pantheon, by bad coaching and poor play calling, etc.

The smarter ones think otherwise, IMO...

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1370
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/2/2021 1:28:42 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

2005 Brad Johnson (9) / Daunte Culpepper (7) [73]
2006 Brad Johnson (14) / Tarvaris Jackson (2) [19][74]
2007 Tarvaris Jackson (12) / Kelly Holcomb (3) / Brooks Bollinger (1) [75][76][77]
2008 Gus Frerotte (11) / Tarvaris Jackson (5) [78]
2009 Brett Favre† (16) [21][79]
2010 Brett Favre† (13) / Tarvaris Jackson (1) / Joe Webb (2) [80][81]
2011 Christian Ponder (10) / Donovan McNabb (6) [82][83][84]
2012 Christian Ponder (16) [85]
2013 Christian Ponder (9) / Matt Cassel (6) / Josh Freeman (1) [86][87][88]
2014 Teddy Bridgewater (12) / Matt Cassel (3) / Christian Ponder (1) [84][87][89]
2015 Teddy Bridgewater (16) [89]
2016 Sam Bradford (15) / Shaun Hill (1) [90][91]
2017 Case Keenum (14) / Sam Bradford (2) [90][92]
2018 Kirk Cousins (16) [93]
2019 Kirk Cousins (15) / Sean Mannion (1) [93][94]
2020 Kirk Cousins (16)

Not exactly 16 years of memorable excellence...

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1371
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/2/2021 2:33:28 PM   
Bill Johanesen

At least years from now whenever people talk about NFL QBs who stole tens of millions of dollars with repeated mega-deals, any Vikings fan can look back fondly and proudly say the Vikings had both the 1 AND 2 ranked QBs in Bradford and Cousins. In back to back years at that! A record that will not be topped.
Post #: 1372
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/2/2021 2:41:59 PM   
bohumm

The Vikings offensive line was horrible last year, and TODAY it is significantly worse. That means the passing offense is significantly worse as well, since the IOL is currently the same and the LT, your best OL last year, is gone, and his replacement is a career backup.
Post #: 1373
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/2/2021 3:04:11 PM   
Jeff Jesser

No worries man. We have a first year OC that got his shot, most likely, via nepotism. What's not to love?
Post #: 1374
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/2/2021 3:47:01 PM   
Brad H

quote:

At least years from now whenever people talk about NFL QBs who stole tens of millions of dollars with repeated mega-deals, any Vikings fan can look back fondly and proudly say the Vikings had both the 1 AND 2 ranked QBs in Bradford and Cousins. In back to back years at that! A record that will not be topped.

Just goes to show you what QB rankings are worth.

Post #: 1375
Page:   <<   < prev  53 54 [55] 56 57   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  53 54 [55] 56 57   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode