Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/2/2021 4:26:13 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

At least years from now whenever people talk about NFL QBs who stole tens of millions of dollars with repeated mega-deals, any Vikings fan can look back fondly and proudly say the Vikings had both the 1 AND 2 ranked QBs in Bradford and Cousins. In back to back years at that! A record that will not be topped.

Just goes to show you what QB rankings are worth.

Just to clarify, 1 and 2 ranked in mega-deal millions stolen (from the owners and available cap).
Post #: 1376
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/3/2021 5:58:23 AM   
marty

Just to clarify, I think KC is better than the old Elway, the old Manning, Dilfer and BJs that won the SB.

They didn't carry their teams on their back.

But Eli did.

Until KC does that in a playoff run, all the way through to a SB win, we aren't sure he's capable of that.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1377
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/3/2021 7:09:59 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Just to clarify, I think KC is better than the old Elway, the old Manning, Dilfer and BJs that won the SB.

But Eli did.

Until KC does that in a playoff run, all the way through to a SB win, we aren't sure he's capable of that.

Many would argue, myself included, that the Giants defense carried them to two Super Bowl wins over the Patriots. The first time around they held a 16-0 New England team that had averaged nearly 37 points-per-game to 14. The next time around they held a 13-3 New England team averaging over 32 points-per-game to 17. How Eli Manning won an MVP for either of those performances is still a mystery to me. He was a mediocre quarterback that was bailed out by David Tyree and Mario Manningham. No way in the world should he have won game MVP the first time around when he went 19-of-34 for 255, 2 TD's and 1 INT. You could make a case when he went 30-of-40 for 296 and a TD in the second game.

In the 2008 game (2007 season) New England had one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history. Holding them to 14 was an insane performance by the defense. They should have given the MVP award to any one of five or six players on the defense, but the Manning name proved to be more valuable after the success of Peyton. Eli just happened to be IN the game.

I felt the same way about Biletnikoff winning the MVP against the Vikings. That award should have belonged to Clarence Davis or any number of defensive players (Willie Brown, Phil Villapiano, George Atkinson, Ted Hendricks). Biletnikoff had four catches for 79 yards. Heck, Dave Casper had four catches for 70 yards and a score.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 4/3/2021 7:23:36 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1378
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/3/2021 9:09:59 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

But Eli did.

Many would argue, myself included, that the Giants defense carried them to two Super Bowl wins over the Patriots. The first time around they held a 16-0 New England team that had averaged nearly 37 points-per-game to 14. The next time around they held a 13-3 New England team averaging over 32 points-per-game to 17. How Eli Manning won an MVP for either of those performances is still a mystery to me. He was a mediocre quarterback that was bailed out by David Tyree and Mario Manningham. No way in the world should he have won game MVP the first time around when he went 19-of-34 for 255, 2 TD's and 1 INT. You could make a case when he went 30-of-40 for 296 and a TD in the second game.

In the 2008 game (2007 season) New England had one of the most prolific offenses in NFL history. Holding them to 14 was an insane performance by the defense. They should have given the MVP award to any one of five or six players on the defense, but the Manning name proved to be more valuable after the success of Peyton. Eli just happened to be IN the game.

I felt the same way about Biletnikoff winning the MVP against the Vikings. That award should have belonged to Clarence Davis or any number of defensive players (Willie Brown, Phil Villapiano, George Atkinson, Ted Hendricks). Biletnikoff had four catches for 79 yards. Heck, Dave Casper had four catches for 70 yards and a score.

Eli led the game winning drive in the last two minutes of both games. Isn't that how you judge quarterbacks, last two minutes?
Post #: 1379
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/3/2021 9:52:16 AM   
paulgly

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

quote:

But Eli did.

Eli led the game winning drive in the last two minutes of both games. Isn't that how you judge quarterbacks, last two minutes?

I semi-agree however in the first game without that Tyree catch (and it was more of an incredible play on his part than Eli's) the game winning drive doesn't happen and he would have had very pedestrian stats. The second MVP was more justified.
Post #: 1380
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/3/2021 10:50:45 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulgly

quote:

quote:

quote:

But Eli did.

I semi-agree however in the first game without that Tyree catch (and it was more of an incredible play on his part than Eli's) the game winning drive doesn't happen and he would have had very pedestrian stats. The second MVP was more justified.

Didn't Eli scramble, contort, and contort some more to avoid a bunch of rushers? Heck of a play to give Tyree a chance.
Post #: 1381
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/4/2021 1:17:01 AM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulgly

quote:

quote:

quote:

But Eli did.

Didn't Eli scramble, contort, and contort some more to avoid a bunch of rushers? Heck of a play to give Tyree a chance.

Going by memory he was *just about 'in the grasp' but the ensuing action around him peeled him loose. I.E., he found himself free more than made himself free by ability.
Post #: 1382
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/4/2021 1:19:56 AM   
Todd M

IMO he was lucky to be free and even luckier his chuck and pray found its mark against Tyee's helmet.
Post #: 1383
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/4/2021 12:18:28 PM   
thebigo

Aren't we normally into OTA season by now?
Post #: 1384
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/4/2021 1:05:58 PM   
TJSweens

No, the draft is usually around April 20.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1385
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/4/2021 3:03:18 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

No, the draft is usually around April 20.

I thought they had earlier OTAs for veterans pre-covid
Post #: 1386
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/4/2021 4:01:05 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/vikings-offseason-preview-ten-step-plan-return-playoffs-2021

Check out the pass plays called vs expected. Archaic play calling.

But it's all Cousins fault we didn't make the playoffs

Who even said that? Maybe Bruce can answer (or answer through his proxy, twitter).

Most posts about Cousins are he doesn't live up to his salary, has a terrible time in the pocket, doesn't have leadership qualities, isn't the QB to lead us to a SB, etc.

So who said Cousins is the reason we failed to make the playoffs in 2020? Or is that some strawman you are going with?

I'm just pulling a bigo. Having some fun. As a fan, I don't have a issue with Cousins salary, never liked the extension, but performance and annual average for his contract is market rate, imo. Cousins is average in the pocket base on straight drop back time to release, but gets compared to generational talents like Brady (who might be the best of all time at small movements in the pocket that buy time). Average with our interior line is a disaster. I don't pretend to know his leadership in the lockerroom. This board brings up Griffen, Diggs, JJ, etc but ignore Diggs comments while in Buffalo, Cook's comments that he believes Cousins can lead us to the SB, etc.

As Marty pointed out - Cousins is superior to the Brad Johnsons, Dilfers, and old Mannings that won superbowls. Only two QBs in the last twenty years were able to win a Superbowl when the combined rush rank and defensive rank was higher than 15. If I remember right, one was Aaron Rodgers. It's a team game.

I blame team building and coaching a lot more than Cousins, but that's just my opinion. And I've gone on record that I want QBs drafted or am open to a trade of Cousins and starting the search for QBOTF right now.

Cousins was the 30th ranked starter last year in the last two minutes of halves. He's not a leader, he's a $12-million quarterback making $33-million. You can't earn the respect of your teammates or win big games with those kinds of numbers.

Teammates also know when players don't do their assignments - miss blocks, drop passes, run the wrong routes, and see terrible play calling (all which happened in the final two minutes of halves last year). Again I don't know how Cousins leadership in the locker room is viewed.

I won't even comment on your continued assertion he's a 12M QB. Or cherry picked stats - sample size for that is incredibly small and statistically insignificant, nor does it have any context.

If people are going to use stats when saying the guy's contract is valued correctly, one should also be able to point out his stats during crunch time. You can't just ignore the last two minutes of halves as if other players were playing around him. It was the same guys and he choked!

The only problem with this is that the offensive line blocks much better for runs than passing. In particular, when the whole world knows we have to pass, the opposition can ignore the threat of the run and rush Cousins. You will note that in this situation come a lot of the sacks and interceptions. It's that way for a lot of quarterbacks, and it's true the ones who are better at it are more mobile, but in our case you have to know that we have the worst interior pass blocking in the history of the NFL and it's not even close. I'm not joking. It's really that bad.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1387
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2021 11:28:12 AM   
Steve Lentz

Ed White is 74 today.
I remember him when he won the NFL arm wrestling contest.
Strong man!!!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 1388
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2021 11:50:04 AM   
Steve Lentz

Who'd thunk it?

In there 1st 100 starts only QB's in NFL history with at least 26K passing yards and a 97.0 passer rating:
Cousins
Rodgers

CBS Sports

Post #: 1389
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2021 12:44:25 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Steve Lentz

Who'd thunk it?

In there 1st 100 starts only QB's in NFL history with at least 26K passing yards and a 97.0 passer rating:
Cousins
Rodgers

CBS Sports

Pretty much the whole board knows Cousins is a stat machine. He even admitted similar when he signed, and said he needs to take the next step.
Post #: 1390
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2021 12:46:51 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

quote:

Who'd thunk it?

Cousins
Rodgers

CBS Sports

Pretty much the whole board knows Cousins is a stat machine. He even admitted similar when he signed, and said he needs to take the next step.

Thought there would be more than those 2.

Post #: 1391
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2021 1:27:51 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who'd thunk it?

Cousins
Rodgers

CBS Sports

Thought there would be more than those 2.

I don't know the most feasible combinations to get a 97 passer rating. As for the 26K, on the surface that is only 260 yards per game. But over a 16 game season (just to highlight what that means) it is 4,160 yards. Maintain that pace for 6 1/4 seasons.

They would have to put up good numbers in those early starts in order to stay on track. Not surprising, neither was thrown right into the fire. They didn't become full-time starters until their 4th year. They played a little, and probably learned a lot watching, being in meetings, etc.
Post #: 1392
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2021 1:38:04 PM   
Bill Johanesen

Figured Wilson would have been on that list. He was hot from the get-go, but I guess part of that was his ability to make plays with his feet. That was the 'new era' of QB. I remember Manning had a lot of picks early (hurt his rating) but he looked like a future star even that first season. The San Diego Brees wasn't the N.O. Brees. Interesting.

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 4/5/2021 1:39:06 PM >
Post #: 1393
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2021 1:41:11 PM   
David F.

Based on career QB rating, Kirk Cousins is the 6th best QB of all time. Better than Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Dan Marino and a bunch of others.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1394
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2021 3:07:36 PM   
thebigo

quote:

Ed White is 74 today.
Strong man!!!

When Vikings were Vikings.
Post #: 1395
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2021 4:12:00 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Ed White is 74 today.
Strong man!!!

We could use him and Ron Yary right now!

Post #: 1396
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2021 4:27:14 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ed White is 74 today.
Strong man!!!

I met Ed White at the Turkey Tavern in Le Sueur in 1975. He was doing some promotion for the bar and my older brother was covering it for the local news paper there. Nice guy.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1397
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2021 4:36:01 PM   
Phil Riewer

Jeff Gladney....potential idiot. Arrested for 3rd degree felony family violence assault....

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1398
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2021 5:36:45 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

Jeff Gladney....potential idiot. Arrested for 3rd degree felony family violence assault....

And the hits just keep on comin'...
Post #: 1399
RE: General Vikes Talk - 4/5/2021 5:57:02 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Ed White is 74 today.
Strong man!!!

I was wondering who we traded him for. It was for Ricky Young. I guess if that trade had worked out we wouldn't have traded for Walker. According to a Chargers website, it was the best trade they ever made. So was that the worst trade the Vikings made? No. Of course the Walker trade was. Back to back almost. Yikes.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 1400
Page:   <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  54 55 [56] 57 58   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode