Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Free Agency 2021

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 9:42:34 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

In a dreamworld where we could find ten stars at different positions to take contracts that amount to half of what they're worth we could manufacture a Super Bowl win. Get a veteran superstar QB willing to take $15 million per year for three years. Get a Michael Thomas to take $9 million per year. Get a Harrison Smith, Stephon Gilmore and Jalen Ramsey to take $5 million per year. Repeat this with an edge rusher and three top notch offensive linemen. Combine them with the players still on their rookie contracts and throw in some filler and theoretically you could become a mega power. I'm surprised no one has tried this yet. It's a dream world scenario, I know.

I'd argue that Harrison Smith is not a star.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 126
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 10:26:49 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

In a dreamworld where we could find ten stars at different positions to take contracts that amount to half of what they're worth we could manufacture a Super Bowl win. Get a veteran superstar QB willing to take $15 million per year for three years. Get a Michael Thomas to take $9 million per year. Get a Harrison Smith, Stephon Gilmore and Jalen Ramsey to take $5 million per year. Repeat this with an edge rusher and three top notch offensive linemen. Combine them with the players still on their rookie contracts and throw in some filler and theoretically you could become a mega power. I'm surprised no one has tried this yet. It's a dream world scenario, I know.

Teams don't win Super Bowls with Safeties and Linebackers.

Today's game you need DB's and DL's. I wouldn't send very much on the rest when push came to shove. Give me elite pass rushers and shutdown corners. If you don't have them Linebackers and Safeties are not going to cover that flaw up. Another Speilman failure.
Post #: 127
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 10:27:56 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

The contracts are getting to be 400% more than they should be. Top qb's get 10, the rest of the team paid accordingly and dad can now afford to take his kids to a couple of games.

And yes that means owners taking a hit too.

How far are they going to be allowed to take it? Talk to me when everyone has their basic needs of life met.

I really thought they would have addressed this in the recent CBA. But, I don't think I ever heard it was even a talking point no less. Escalating qb salaries will continue to be a huge problem in the future and the league had an opportunity to get in front of it.

If teams want to nuke themselves over paying for a QB let them.
Post #: 128
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 11:30:24 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

quote:

Today's game you need DB's and DL's. I wouldn't send very much on the rest when push came to shove. Give me elite pass rushers and shutdown corners. If you don't have them Linebackers and Safeties are not going to cover that flaw up. Another Speilman failure.

All valid points but not exactly where I was going with the whole thing...

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 129
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 11:55:42 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

The contracts are getting to be 400% more than they should be. Top qb's get 10, the rest of the team paid accordingly and dad can now afford to take his kids to a couple of games.

And yes that means owners taking a hit too.

How far are they going to be allowed to take it? Talk to me when everyone has their basic needs of life met.

I really thought they would have addressed this in the recent CBA. But, I don't think I ever heard it was even a talking point no less. Escalating qb salaries will continue to be a huge problem in the future and the league had an opportunity to get in front of it.

If teams want to nuke themselves over paying for a QB let them.

True. But this has been escalating similar to before a rookie wage scale was employed. Thing is I don't see the players standing in their way on addressing this issue.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 130
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 12:48:36 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't think Tampa has shutdown corners.

I think they have
- ELITE defensive line
- solid but unspectacular corners
- at least 1 play maker at safety
- they also have outstanding linebackers

They remind me of a better 2017 Viking Defense... still not sure how we got absolutely shelled in the NFC champ game.

< Message edited by beo -- 3/9/2021 12:53:04 PM >
Post #: 131
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 12:53:50 PM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think they have
- ELITE defensive line

Nonsense. Their corners are off the charts. Mahomes threw over 50 passes in the Super Bowl and guys weren't open. And yes, they may have the best linebacker group in the league. The reason the Tampa D-Line looked so good was because guys were covered. Kansas City had problems up front on offense all season. The chickens came home to roost in the Super Bowl because guys were covered.

Post #: 132
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 1:01:46 PM   
beo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think they have
- ELITE defensive line

Nonsense. Their corners are off the charts. Mahomes threw over 50 passes in the Super Bowl and guys weren't open. And yes, they may have the best linebacker group in the league. The reason the Tampa D-Line looked so good was because guys were covered. Kansas City had problems up front on offense all season. The chickens came home to roost in the Super Bowl because guys were covered.

Disagree... when you have Mike Remmers starting LT in the superbowl you have 0 protection.
Mahomes was pressured something like 29 times.
TB defense is a sum of their parts, starting with DL... not shutdown corners... imo.
Post #: 133
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 1:06:54 PM   
Brad H

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think they have
- ELITE defensive line

Disagree... when you have Mike Remmers starting LT in the superbowl you have 0 protection.
TB defense is a sum of their parts, starting with DL... not shutdown corners... imo.

Mahomes was pressured a lot this season. He's magical at avoiding it and hitting receivers despite the chaos. On Super Bowl Sunday, guys were covered. A lot of credit has to be given to Todd Bowles, but the guys still have to cover wide receivers. Tyreek Hill had two catches at the half.

Not sure what Mike Remmers has to do with the conversation.

Tampa's entire defense is talented. We agree on that.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 3/9/2021 1:08:00 PM >

Post #: 134
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 1:13:25 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Courtney Cronin@CourtneyRCronin
The UFA guard market is continuing to grow by the hour. That could be largely beneficial for the Vikings with names like Carpenter, Joe Thuney, Gabe Jackson, Lane Taylor, Austin Blythe, Brian Winters. Lot of names to potentially choose from.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 135
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 1:36:13 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think they have
- ELITE defensive line

Mahomes was pressured a lot this season. He's magical at avoiding it and hitting receivers despite the chaos. On Super Bowl Sunday, guys were covered. A lot of credit has to be given to Todd Bowles, but the guys still have to cover wide receivers. Tyreek Hill had two catches at the half.

You don't think a journeyman RT that flamed out on a bad Vikings OL (and had the worst game of his career as a RT for the Panthers in their SB loss) ... being plugged into LT for the SB Chiefs ... had any effect on the Bucs pass rush / def success?

A very good Tampa Defense kept an obviously not-up-to-par Chiefs offense from rising above their shoddy OL play and gimpy QB (who was not magical at avoiding the pressure this time).

The DL played really well ... the CBs played well ... the LBs were outstanding. Todd Bowles called a great game.
Post #: 136
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 2:01:43 PM   
Bruce Johnson

#Vikings spoke to the #Bengals today about possible trade of DT Geno Atkins #Minnesota #NFL

(NFL Rumors on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 137
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 2:09:29 PM   
Bruce Johnson

#Bears officially added franchise tag to WR Allen Robinson

(NFL Rumors on Twitter) I've got to think that Mr. Robinson is not happy with that, but isn't the franchise tag for a WR worth about 15 million? Maybe he will be happy with the money.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 138
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 2:19:26 PM   
Phil Riewer

Minnesota Vikings
@Vikings
·
18m
The #Vikings have released K Dan Bailey.

Tom Pelissero
@TomPelissero
·
7m
Veteran kicker Dan Bailey was due $2.75 million in 2021, including $1.8M that would've become fully guaranteed next week. Instead, he's a free agent. Minnesota saves $1.7M in cap space.
Quote Tweet
Jordan Woy
@JordanWoy
· 11m
Although the Vikings wanted to keep Dan Bailey, we were unable to agree to a renegotiated contract. They did not want to pay his current contract so he will be a free agent as of today.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/9/2021 2:20:34 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 139
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 2:31:01 PM   
Bruce Johnson

No surprise with Bailey for me other than the team was trying to renegotiate with him.

Post #: 140
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 3:07:36 PM   
David Levine

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
As expected, the #Vikings did not franchise tag any players. Safety Anthony Harris, who played under the franchise tag last season, now becomes an unrestricted free agent.

Chris Tomasson@christomasson
The #Vikings are now in the neighborhood of $5 million over the salary cap. They need to continue to clear more money by the March 17 start of the new league year.
Post #: 141
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 3:58:01 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think they have
- ELITE defensive line

You don't think a journeyman RT that flamed out on a bad Vikings OL (and had the worst game of his career as a RT for the Panthers in their SB loss) ... being plugged into LT for the SB Chiefs ... had any effect on the Bucs pass rush / def success?

A very good Tampa Defense kept an obviously not-up-to-par Chiefs offense from rising above their shoddy OL play and gimpy QB (who was not magical at avoiding the pressure this time).

The DL played really well ... the CBs played well ... the LBs were outstanding. Todd Bowles called a great game.

It was a jail break every other play for Bucs DLine.

Bucs CBs are good though. They had to handle staying on receivers when Mahomes was scrambling. Not easy to do.
Post #: 142
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 8:53:47 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

All valid points but not exactly where I was going with the whole thing...

They do this in the NBA and why I stopped watching/following the NBA. Also Sprewell (he of the I have to feed my family).

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 143
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 9:41:12 PM   
bstinger

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I think they have
- ELITE defensive line

Wrong then, wrong now. The D line dominated the game. Mahomes was on the run from the snap on many plays, throwing many passes from 10-15+ yards behind the line of scrimmage, while running away from it.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 144
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 11:06:36 PM   
marty

TB did not have an elite DL. Gholston and Suh are good, but I don't think of them as elite.

JPP is elite, and I think when healthy Devon White can be elite.
Barrett is good, but he's nothing without JPP there.

< Message edited by marty -- 3/9/2021 11:23:14 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 145
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 11:13:00 PM   
marty

TB had good CBs, but not elite.

They just studied their ass off for the game, believing they were going against one of the best QBs to ever play the game, which they were. Mahomes became the Goliath, TBs' defense the David.

TBs DL also heavily prepared, and really got to know Mahome's tendencies.

KC prepared like many of Ried's teams in the past, thought their greatness would just come through, even if they slacked for 3 quarters, like they did in the previous year's SB.

Except the previous year, KC gained respect of SF by seeing SF dominate with their run game in the NFC games, and Garrapollo didn't make the clutch throws in the 4th quarter of the SB.

< Message edited by marty -- 3/9/2021 11:14:57 PM >

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 146
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 11:26:08 PM   
marty

What helped TBs pass rush so much, besides lots of preparation, was moving people around, and having an early lead was big.

It also helped that both GB and KC had their LTs out.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 147
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 11:29:20 PM   
marty

So the Vikes simply need to have Cousins play like Tom Brady in the early parts of playoff games, not turning the ball over and putting on points in the 1st half.

Then the Vikes will move around players on the defense to confuse the opposition, and after tons of film study, they will beat whatever team stands in their way of the Lombardi.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 148
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 11:35:24 PM   
marty

Oh, and hopefully the teams the Vikings play in the NFC Championship and the SB, both have their starting LTs out.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 149
RE: Free Agency 2021 - 3/9/2021 11:58:57 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

TB did not have an elite DL. Gholston and Suh are good, but I don't think of them as elite.

JPP is elite, and I think when healthy Devon White can be elite.
Barrett is good, but he's nothing without JPP there.

Vita Vea was in backfield a lot.
Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Free Agency 2021 Page: <<   < prev  4 5 [6] 7 8   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode