Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 7:19:05 AM   
Bill Johanesen

It’s like Spielman was COVID and we’ve got some long haul symptoms. Going to need a personnel influx and transition from the big money vets.

The “see what we’ve got” season.

JC in the house….
Post #: 451
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 7:21:26 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

It’s like Spielman was COVID and we’ve got some long haul symptoms. Going to need a personnel influx and transition from the big money vets.

The “see what we’ve got” season.

JC in the house….

Couldn't agree more! Start playing young guys and see what we have. Time to purge the roster as much as possible. High priced ineffective aging vets gotta go.
Post #: 452
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 7:22:28 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

Too many veterans on this team that only know how to do one thing well. Lose.
Post #: 453
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 7:33:58 AM   
Phil Riewer

The Vikings defense will get better; it is early and they were at Philly.

On offense it was a struggle to get anyone outside of Jeffererson, Mundt, and Irv the ball last night which caused Cousins to force it to Jefferson and Irv at times.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 454
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 7:35:41 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

On offense it was a struggle to get anyone outside of Jeffererson, Mundt, and Irv the ball last night which caused Cousins to force it to Jefferson and Irv at times.

I see no indication that this defense will get better.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 455
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 7:36:35 AM   
Karl Juhnke

I said it before the game (though I have no written proof of it) that I wouldn’t be surprised if Philly came out and punched us in the mouth. Then the big test of this team will be how they react to that.

Well they did punch us. And our reaction was we never really got up off the canvas. So we failed that test. Still I won’t overreact too much. They probably aren’t as good as they looked against GB or as bad as they looked against Philly. We can probably put away all the hyperbole for now and settle in to what was most likely all along: That this is probably a team whose ceiling is 10-ish wins and maybe fighting and scratching into the playoffs.

Philly exposed a couple of things last night. Mainly, this offense cannot adequately counter a blitz. Copy cat alert. Once the secret is out the whole league takes notice. Either fix it or get used to more of the same.

The other thing…at least in my opinion is, Dalvin Cook is a nice back but is no longer anything special. Shelf life is so short at RB. I’m not saying he isn’t still valuable and can’t still be productive, but he shouldn’t be featured. He a cog. One of several.
Post #: 456
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 7:37:14 AM   
bstinger

I was in the clean house crowd and was disappointed to see them run most of it back but willing to give them a chance and will still give them more of a chance before I bury them.

Dalvin, Harrison, Eric, Adam, Patrick (minus the blocked FG), all looked a step or two slow tonight. Kirk was disappointing as well, especially in the 2nd half when the rush was dialed up.

I think we lost the battle of the LOS on both sides of the ball and it's pretty tough to win when that happens. Their skilled position players seemed better that ours too.

We never really made things very difficult for Hurts. Not much rush or close coverage. He had lots of time to find wide open guys.

A lot of work to do.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 457
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 7:46:34 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karl Juhnke

I said it before the game (though I have no written proof of it) that I wouldn’t be surprised if Philly came out and punched us in the mouth. Then the big test of this team will be how they react to that.

Well they did punch us. And our reaction was we never really got up off the canvas. So we failed that test. Still I won’t overreact too much. They probably aren’t as good as they looked against GB or as bad as they looked against Philly. We can probably put away all the hyperbole for now and settle in to what was most likely all along: That this is probably a team whose ceiling is 10-ish wins and maybe fighting and scratching into the playoffs.

Philly exposed a couple of things last night. Mainly, this offense cannot adequately counter a blitz. Copy cat alert. Once the secret is out the whole league takes notice. Either fix it or get used to more of the same.

The other thing…at least in my opinion is, Dalvin Cook is a nice back but is no longer anything special. Shelf life is so short at RB. I’m not saying he isn’t still valuable and can’t still be productive, but he shouldn’t be featured. He a cog. One of several.

Agree with everything except the 10 wins part. It looks like we have bad personnel for a 3-4 defense and that won't change this year. Hard to win even 8 games with a defense this bad. Even week 1 the run defense was atrocious. Seems like a 7 win team as I'm sure they'll win a few that are unexpected.
Post #: 458
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 7:48:09 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

The Eagles have an elite team; if we faced them in 6-8 games it would have been closer but I know Booth, Cine, Evans, and the rookie LB will be put into the game more as the season rolls on and will start making plays. It seemed like after the deep pass for a TD they just dropped back deep.

Post #: 459
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 7:51:21 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

The Eagles have an elite team; if we faced them in 6-8 games it would have been closer but I know Booth, Cine, Evans, and the rookie LB will be put into the game more as the season rolls on and will start making plays. It seemed like after the deep pass for a TD they just dropped back deep.

I don't think they're elite at all and we played that lame shell coverage before the deep pass. We must have thought that Hurts was physically incapable of throwing a football with how we lined up against him. I think he's solid but not even close to elite. They just happened to play 2 train wreck franchises to start the season and Detroit is playing better than us in recent history.
Post #: 460
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 7:52:02 AM   
Bill Johanesen

PFF Grades are out!
- Wright (P), 100.
- Everyone on D and Cousins, 0.
- Rest of offense, 14.
Post #: 461
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 7:54:35 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

I don't think they're elite at all and we played that lame shell coverage before the deep pass. We must have thought that Hurts was physically incapable of throwing a football with how we lined up against him. I think he's solid but not even close to elite. They just happened to play 2 train wreck franchises to start the season and Detroit is playing better than us in recent history.

He has no injury excuses so the fallback is the opponent is “elite”.

We MADE them elite (for a game).

< Message edited by Bill Johanesen -- 9/20/2022 7:55:46 AM >
Post #: 462
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 7:54:50 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Evans/Peterson can't cover Watkins, Smith, or Brown .

Post #: 463
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 7:56:48 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm not disagreeing with you. But if that's our plan going forward fire up the draft thread because we're gonna get a high pick.
Post #: 464
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 8:01:01 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He was no injury excuses so the fallback is the opponent is “elite”.

They were a playoff team last year that added AJ Brown, Jordan Davis in the draft, and James Bradbury. They are Super Bowl contenders.

Post #: 465
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 8:02:47 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm not disagreeing with you. But if that's our plan going forward fire up the draft thread because we're gonna get a high pick.

Booth, Evans, Cine, and the rookie LB will improve the defense but it has been said that the defense is going to be a work in progress.

Post #: 466
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 8:04:26 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

He was no injury excuses so the fallback is the opponent is “elite”.

They were a playoff team last year that added AJ Brown, Jordan Davis in the draft, and James Bradbury. They are Super Bowl contenders.

Super Bowl contenders?? Well I guess it's possible in what looks like a weak NFC this year.
Post #: 467
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 8:05:13 AM   
Murph

On the road in the playoffs against a top defense; I have zero confidence in our QB, defense or coaches.

Except our punter.

Our defense is plain bad with a bad coordinator.

Our offense will look great against average to below average defenses, especially at home but against a better than average defense, especially on the road; we saw the result last night.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 468
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 8:10:52 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Murph

On the road in the playoffs against a top defense; I have zero confidence in our QB, defense or coaches.

Except our punter.

Our defense is plain bad with a bad coordinator.

Our offense will look great against average to below average defenses, especially at home but against a better than average defense, especially on the road; we saw the result last night.

Agreed. Luckily Green Bay went full retard in game 1 and didn't continue to run. Luckily Rodgers threw a fit the whole game after the first offensive snap of his season. Loved beating them down but let's not kid ourselves. This defense is awful!
Post #: 469
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 8:15:06 AM   
marty

I had Philly winning 11 games and winning their division, which makes them a contender. Just don't call them elite Phil, and don't call them or their WRs great, they're just good.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 470
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 8:18:44 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I had Philly winning 11 games and winning their division, which makes them a contender. Just don't call them elite Phil, and don't call them or their WRs great, they're just good.

AJ Brown is just good? Devante Smith is just good? Goeddert is just good? What are your thoughts on Hurts?

What are your thoughts on OBJ?

I saw preseason hype from many that the Eagles are a contender.

Post #: 471
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 8:19:16 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

Calling them elite after squeaking past the Lions and beating the worst primetime football team in the last 15 years is way premature imo. Will they win the division? Yeah I think so.
Post #: 472
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 8:19:22 AM   
marty

Richard, I think you may be over-reacting a little bit, I still think this team will win 11 games.

Just like people that thought JJ would win MVP and get 2000 yards, well teams adjust.

KOC is a good HC, and I think he will adjust, and get the defense to be serviceable. Donatell worked with Fangio, so he must know the importance of being agressive, and must realize his mistake in this game. He will either get more aggressive, or will be fired mid-season.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 473
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 8:22:17 AM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Richard, I think you may be over-reacting a little bit, I still think this team will win 11 games.

Just like people that thought JJ would win MVP and get 2000 yards, well teams adjust.

KOC is a good HC, and I think he will adjust, and get the defense to be serviceable. Donatell worked with Fangio, so he must know the importance of being agressive, and must realize his mistake in this game. He will either get more aggressive, or will be fired mid-season.

He made the same mistakes the entire game with no adjustments whatsoever. Sorry it's hard to feel optimistic about that.
Post #: 474
RE: General Vikes Talk - 9/20/2022 8:22:36 AM   
JC2022

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Agreed

In the 2nd half the Vikings D only really gave up one drive and that ended with the blocked punt. The problem with getting back into the game was Cousins panicking and throwing terrible passes.

I love Cook but he didn't have any explosion last night. Even big guys were able to stay with him.

Both defenses made halftime adjustments and that pretty much ended the scoring. Hurts, other than the one middle screen the RB tipped up into the air, avoided turnovers. He did not play great in the 2nd half and made some bad reads.

Cousins would start to move the team but at the slightest pressure his accuracy went out the window. I don't think he even faced great pressure - just normal NFL pressure and he went to pieces.

On the Vikes TD drive, the Eagles just sat back in a soft defense all the way down the field.

But on the turnover drives, the DBs and even LBs played much tighter coverage
Post #: 475
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode