Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: Vikes water cooler thread

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 9:47:24 PM   
Todd M

quote:

healthy, resting heat rate, is 70-75 or lower..

So not 60 to 90. That's what I was catching.

quote:

heart rate when exercising should try to be kept in the 110-120 range for a bit.. like 10- 30 mins

Fine there.

quote:

it should return to normal in about an hour after stopping..

Ah, an hour. I was doing it too soon after.
Post #: 1251
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 9:55:49 PM   
Lynn G.

I suspect that this discussion is providing helpful information for just every one of us here. Good stuff peeps.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1252
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 10:27:24 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

healthy, resting heat rate, is 70-75 or lower..

So not 60 to 90. That's what I was catching.

quote:

heart rate when exercising should try to be kept in the 110-120 range for a bit.. like 10- 30 mins

Fine there.

quote:

it should return to normal in about an hour after stopping..

Ah, an hour. I was doing it too soon after.

ehhhhhT.. wrong answer Beuhler!!

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 2/11/2016 10:43:58 PM >

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1253
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 10:32:02 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

The only time in my life i ever had "borderline high blood pressure" was the first time i went in to have some skin cancer carved off my back.. i was nervous as hell and my BP was 82 over 143..

the nurse just looked at me and said .. relax.. it's not as bad as your thinking..

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1254
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 10:43:49 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

another addendum of info...

sometimes you have to read or research this stuff..

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/cardiovascular-system-science-investigate-heart-rate-recovery-time1/

Immediately after exercising, the heart’s rate was likely in the upper end of its target heart-rate zone. As soon as resting started, its rate should have quickly decreased. Specifically, one minute after rest started the heart rate likely rapidly dropped. After that, it likely continued to drop, but much more slowly as it approached its resting rate over the following minutes. It may have taken about one to seven or more minutes (after exercise stopped) for the heart to resume its resting rate. Generally, the faster a person's heart rate recovers, or reaches its resting rate, the better shape he or she is in.

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1255
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 10:46:31 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

ok i'm done.. for now..

sorry for the misinfo todd..

"i'm not a doctor.. but i think i am one if asked..."

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/fitness/in-depth/fitness/art-20048269

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 2/11/2016 10:52:21 PM >

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1256
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 10:52:40 PM   
Todd M

It's all good. You've gone above and beyond. Means a lot.
Post #: 1257
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 10:56:34 PM   
Todd M

It'll all come in time. Having a better resting heart rate is just a part of the over all goal to be enjoying better health down the road.

I'm a little worried that my RHR is more than a stitch high. All I can do is work on it.
Post #: 1258
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/11/2016 11:04:15 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

don't sweat it.. your carrying a bit of extra weight and that alone makes the heart have to work harder and faster..

as you get more fit and shed some weight you'll be fine..

positivity, dude.. you can doooo it!!

oh and idk your situation but look into spending some time swimming.. just paddling around a bit or treading water is fine..

also a steam room or sauna for no more than ten minutes followed by a cool shower will make you feel like a million bucks..'

I am middling poor, and cheap, so what I do in the summer is yard work.. then when i'm good and hot and sweaty and filthy with grass clippings and assorted dirt.. I grab the hose.. let if run cold and soak myself head to toe.. taking an "outdoor shower.. "

Bracing..!!

kick back and have a BUD LIGHT

(Take that you crafty beer snobs... )

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 2/11/2016 11:10:55 PM >

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1259
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/12/2016 8:38:48 AM   
Lynn G.

Dan I think you've found your calling. You need to be a lifestyle coach, teaching people how to make the small changes in their lives that will alter their future.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 1260
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/12/2016 8:39:35 AM   
Lynn G.

And if we went back in time a couple of years, who on this site would have ever thought we'd be saying that about Dan'o?

Post #: 1261
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/12/2016 10:06:48 AM   
bohumm

Normal reference range for testing heart rate is 60-100. A little over our under is not a huge deal, especially for some whose norm resides on the low or high end. Another concern beyond rate is rhythm. If your exercising and feel fluttering out pain in your chest, stop and see a doctor before you push yourself too hard again. With your current conditions, new diet, new regime, etc, you want to make sure there's nothing to be concerned about if you expressions those things during exertion.
Post #: 1262
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/12/2016 12:19:31 PM   
Todd M

Smoking.

I didn't read the whole thing but I got a pretty good grasp of the message from the book 'Easy Way to Stop Smoking.'

It's about the attitude. If you are down about never smoking again, wonder how you'll get through xyz without your little crutch you're carrying this enormous weight. Nicotine ranks I think 3rd as the most addictive drug but the addiction is about more than chemistry.

Relating it to the food thing - I've been super positive about what I've been eating. It hasn't been about what I'm missing, it's about learning all these things about foods and what they can do for your body. It's not just mindlessly droning through a super market grabbing all the usual processed junk. Stopping and reading, making choices...being pro active. I'm trying to enjoy the process. Plus it's the weirdest thing...I've really enjoyed the things I've eaten. Sitting down today to a serving of sardines and oysters and a small avocado sprinkled with raw garlic, taking my time...it was freaking delicious. I'm not obsessing over what I can't have I'm looking forward to what I can.

I can only imagine how tasty it would all be if my taste buds weren't taxed with 3 decades of smoking.

For me it's part of an oral fixation I have. I'm still eating, more often even, and getting to do the hand to mouth thing but I've been a chronic nail biter, and worse at times a cheek chewer, a smoker, a muncher. Hands to mouth hands to mouth.

30 or more times a day fiddling around with a cigarette fills some voids. Distracts. I pretend that it relaxes and also focuses.

It's gotta be something in my head. I read/watched a video one time about experiments on mice and how the ones addicted to junk food fared worse than the ones addicted to drugs. I haven't had a lick of anything processed, chocolate, candy, chips or pop - and I'm feeling positive about it. Why can't I crumple the pack' and walk away?
Post #: 1263
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/12/2016 12:28:50 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

don't try to do too much at once todd..

you are doing well with what you have on your plate.,,

there is never a bad time to quit smoking.. you can attempt it now.. maybe you have the resolve to do it for good..

or you can put it off and work at tapering down a bit until you are more comfortable with the changes you have made, then quit.

no one is saying you HAVE to do it all at once and drastically... except a few doctors, I imagine, or website blog freaks.. which are usually the same thing.

stop beating yourself up over the one thing you cant get a grip on right now, push it to the back burner

another thing you can try.. is make just one spot, prefeably outside.. the "smoking area".. once the smell starts to dissipate in your house, you wont feel the urge as much.. anything you can reasonably do to complicate the process of smoking.. will help curb your desire to smoke..

If you had to climb a flight of stairs to get a cigarette and the another to get a light.. you'd cut down, just because the "its not worth it factor" would kick in on some of the "automatic smoking" habits.

once you physical well being stars feeling more right, you will be able to look at smoking and say.. fukc it.. i have done all this other stuff and your a vestige holding me back..

begone demon!!

< Message edited by Daniel Lee Young -- 2/12/2016 12:38:22 PM >

I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 1264
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/16/2016 7:36:59 AM   
Todd M

One week check in.

Lost 14 pounds. By eating.

Seeing more and more numbers in the normal range for my blood/glucose. Hoping in 2 weeks the dr says that things are being controlled with diet and med and I don't have to go on those stinking injections.

Still smoking.
Post #: 1265
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/16/2016 7:41:53 AM   
Thomas O. Eliason

I lost 14 pounds in a single afternoon.

It was Tony, the most amazing and awesome cat in the world.

< Message edited by Thomas O. Eliason -- 2/17/2016 8:12:49 AM >

PPE II baby
Post #: 1266
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/16/2016 8:01:49 AM   
Thomas O. Eliason

He's dead now. Bit up by a neighbor's dog.

When a neighbor tells you their dog is harmless, it's best to take that advice with a grain of salt.

I was absolutely assured that the dog would not snatch, bite down and shake my cat until he died.

PPE II baby
Post #: 1267
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/16/2016 8:02:45 AM   
Thomas O. Eliason

OK, he was probably more like 10 pounds.

Sorry, Todder.

< Message edited by Thomas O. Eliason -- 2/16/2016 11:47:51 AM >

PPE II baby
Post #: 1268
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/17/2016 7:07:54 AM   
Toby Stumbo

Hey, any of you Californians got any insider sources for discounted Disneyland tickets?  The family and I are going that way on March 1st and saving money is always awesome!

GO VIKES!
Post #: 1269
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/17/2016 8:34:52 AM   
DougD

quote:

One week check in.

Seeing more and more numbers in the normal range for my blood/glucose. Hoping in 2 weeks the dr says that things are being controlled with diet and med and I don't have to go on those stinking injections.

Still smoking.

Don't know if this has been touched on yet but another thing to try is a hypnosis seminar. They aren't the be-all-end-all that they are advertised as, but, in my case anyway, its a nice crash course on relaxation techniques. Adds another tool for the fight.
Post #: 1270
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/17/2016 8:35:59 AM   
bohumm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby Stumbo

Hey, any of you Californians got any insider sources for discounted Disneyland tickets?  The family and I are going that way on March 1st and saving money is always awesome!

I'll check at work if we have a discount program. Not a Disney guy; don't see how people can afford it. Kudos for being rich if you're even considering it!
Post #: 1271
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/17/2016 8:48:20 AM   
Lynn G.

And make sure you're up to date on your measles shots!

Post #: 1272
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/17/2016 9:06:34 AM   
Todd M

quote:

ORIGINAL: DougD

quote:

One week check in.

Still smoking.

Don't know if this has been touched on yet but another thing to try is a hypnosis seminar. They aren't the be-all-end-all that they are advertised as, but, in my case anyway, its a nice crash course on relaxation techniques. Adds another tool for the fight.

Glad it worked for you. Not sure if I believe in it enough to try it. Plus $.

My wife is trying to get me to listen to these relaxation tapes. I don't care for them much. Maybe it's about the voice. If it doesn't resonate with me it becomes a distraction. I think I'd rather listen to ocean noises and learn to breathe myself.

I need to lose weight but I don't want that to be my focus. I want to lose weight because I'm making the right choices and the weight loss is a result of that. I think I am going to move weighing myself once a day to once a week. I already woke up disappointed that the number went up after such a huge drop last week. It could become an obsession. Just want to get my blood glucose numbers right. And I think I've nailed that.
Post #: 1273
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/17/2016 9:11:42 AM   
Todd M

Speaking of numbers...

Anyone familiar with blood glucose numbers and A1C numbers?

It takes more than a week for sure. But to me the #'s look promising.

My avg b/g #'s have gone down every day, From 9 to 6.1 (X's 18 for american #'s) and my A1C # is 6.33.

I truly think I am going to avoid insulin injections controlling this with pills and diet.
Post #: 1274
RE: Vikes water cooler thread - 2/17/2016 10:26:35 AM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: DougD

quote:

One week check in.

Still smoking.

My mom did that almost 20 years ago. She didn't think it would work, but gave it a shot. Huge group seminar that took a couple hours I think. She hasn't had a puff since.
Post #: 1275
Page:   <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: Vikes water cooler thread Page: <<   < prev  49 50 [51] 52 53   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode