Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE:Mike Vick case

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE:Mike Vick case Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/22/2007 9:20:07 PM   
Duane Sampson

-- Emmitt Smith Weighs in on Vick Dogfighting Indictment -- Sat Jul 21, 2007 AP reports NFL career rushing leader RB Emmitt Smith thinks federal investigators targeted Atlanta Falcons QB Michael Vick to get to others involved in an alleged dogfighting operation. "He's the biggest fish in the whole doggone pond right now so they're putting the squeeze on him to get to everyone else," Smith said Saturday. Vick and three associates are accused of competitive dogfighting, procuring and training pit bulls for fighting, and conducting the enterprise across state lines. Vick is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday in federal court in Richmond, Va. Smith, who was enshrined in the College Football Hall of Fame on Saturday along with 19 others, was asked what he thought about the Vick situation. He said he believes federal investigators are trying to pressure Vick to turn on the others. "Now, granted he might have been to a dogfight a time or two, maybe five times, maybe 20 times, may have bet some money, but he's not the one you're after. He's not the one you're after, he's just the one whose going to take the fall -- publicly." But Smith also placed some blame on Vick, saying athletes need to realize they have to break ties with some people from their past "because where we're going, it's not for everybody to come with us. You have to learn to cut some of those guys loose. Because the things that they do, we cannot do no more." We cannot do that no more.... :pirate:
Post #: 76
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/22/2007 10:59:06 PM   
Todd M

I'm not sure I get it. "He's the biggest fish in the whole doggone pond right now so they're putting the squeeze on him to get to everyone else" Don't they normally squeeze all the little fishes to get to the big fish? And Smith downplays it a little too. May have gone to dog fights, may have bet some money, the guy started the thing from the ground up, that's a huge distinction. He's not the one their after??? Yeah, sorry, the big fish is the one you want.
Post #: 77
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/23/2007 1:15:49 AM   
Todd M

I just had a scary thought. Vick is approaching this from a make it go away or I will expose all the under ground shit that's going on. What if a handful of marketable players and a couple dozen other NFL players are involved in this sort of thing and Vick is playing it against them. I'd like to see a society that was able to handle a purging of sorts, if that's what it came down to, but judging how things played out in the past I see mass rioting if that were the case.
Post #: 78
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/23/2007 1:40:48 AM   
[quote="Todd Mallett"]I just had a scary thought. Vick is approaching this from a make it go away or I will expose all the under ground shit that's going on. What if a handful of marketable players and a couple dozen other NFL players are involved in this sort of thing and Vick is playing it against them. I'd like to see a society that was able to handle a purging of sorts, if that's what it came down to, but judging how things played out in the past I see mass rioting if that were the case.[/quote] Daddy was a cop On the East Side of Atlanta Back in the USA Back in the bad old days In the heat of a summer night In the land of the dollar bill When the town of Atlanta died And they talk about it still When a man named Mexico Vick Tried to make that town his own And he called his gang to war Against the forces of the law I I heard my momma cry I heard her pray the night Mvick dived Brother, what a night the people saw Brother, what a fight the people saw Yes, indeed And the sound of the battle rang Through the streets of the old East Side 'Til the last of the hoodlum gang Had surrendered up or dived There was shouting in the street And the sound of running feet And I asked someone who said 'Bout a hundred cops are dead Then there was no sound at all But the clock up on the wall Then the door burst open wide And my daddy stepped inside And he kissed my momma's face Then brushed her tears away I heard my momma cry I heard her pray the night MVick dived Brother, what a night it really was Brother, what a fight it really was Glory be I heard my momma cry I heard her pray the night MVick dived Brother, what a night the people saw Brother, what a fight the people saw Yes, indeed The night mvick dived The night mvick dived
  Post #: 79
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/23/2007 1:49:26 AM   
Chris Olson

Todd, if there are a number of top players in the league that are involved in the dog fighting thing, then they all need to be expunged from the league...and put in jail... oh wait, not the money makers in the league... after all it was only dogs... and the KKK only hung blacks and Hilter only mass murdered Jews... The Hutus only killed Tutsis...oh wait, they also killed Hutu sympathizers... awww...whatever... this whole thing just sucks...it is bad for everyone...the NFL, dogs and humans alike...though maybe PETA gains some self-righteous publicity... whatever thit the NFL takes here, they need to do the right thing... and "sack vick" and whomever he wants to blow the whistle on...mass rioting be damned!
Post #: 80
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/23/2007 3:05:55 AM   
Vick and his "buddies" need to be brought to justice... no doubt. Dog fighting is one primitive and uncivilized "sport" Bullfights.. cock fights, any bloodsport between animals is despicably barbaric. Yet "civilized societies" allow and condone these types of "sports "to satisfy human lust for blood and death and the adrenaline rush of witnessing brutal mayhem..... Sigh... my soul hurts... Bring on football season!!!!
  Post #: 81
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/23/2007 3:30:56 AM   
Chris Olson

Is it Ironic that we are football fans? Some folks feel that football is equally barbaric...of course I would argue otherwise, but could we be equally deluded that it is not a barbaric sport? Of course I think that position is pure :bs: but we have all heard it... :roll:
Post #: 82
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/23/2007 3:47:07 AM   
:soapbox: That's why my soul hurts.... Football is regulated brutality and I love it, It just seeems hypocritcal to critisize "others" when i get my fix on crap like football and UFC and :box: Boxing.. sigh :bang: ouch, again. :shrug:
  Post #: 83
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/23/2007 3:59:23 AM   
Todd M

[quote="Danimal"]:soapbox: That's why my soul hurts.... Football is regulated brutality and I love it, It just seeems hypocritcal to critisize "others" when i get my fix on crap like football and UFC and :box: Boxing.. sigh :bang: ouch, again. :shrug:[/quote] Gotta draw the line somewhere though. Most of society agreed that regulated (although sometimes poorly) boxing/fighting between humans and racing animals would be acceptable. Once animals are forced to fight the line is crossed. I'd still hate it but it would be something else if animal fighting had any semblance of dignity toward the animal. If dogs were well cared for and brought up and trained to be a "gaming dog", were put in fair fights and pulled off before either killed the other and their wounds humanly treated. But it's not so the apologists need to take a step down off the soap box.
Post #: 84
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/23/2007 5:01:43 AM   
Chris Olson

well, if the animal were making its own choice to be involved in a fight to the death, it might be different... and even UFC is not a death match, brutal as it is... This thread is depressingas hell... :cry:
Post #: 85
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/23/2007 5:15:46 AM   
I think we should class action sue M Vick for emotional torment.... :rofl:
  Post #: 86
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/23/2007 4:08:12 PM   
Duane Sampson

-- Falcons to Discipline Vick on Tuesday -- Mon Jul 23, 2007 SI.com's Peter King reports Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank intends to impose some sort of discipline on QB Michael Vick by the end of Tuesday. Teams can levy suspensions of up to four weeks without pay for conduct detrimental to the team. No matter what Blank does -- and this is in contrast to the NFL's original statement about letting the judicial process run its course -- commissioner Roger Goodell reserves the right to add on to whatever punitive action Blank will take. Both men can justify acting before Vick's trial in federal court because Vick insisted to Goodell and Blank that he had no involvement at the property in question, an assertion that has been shot full of holes by four corroborating witnesses in the case. If Vick does not play for any reason relating to the case, he will not earn all of the $6 million he's owed this year in base salary. The Falcons will find a way to take some of that money away as part of their dissatisfaction with Vick for putting them in this position -- a mess that has ruined any chance they had to be a contender this season.
Post #: 87
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/23/2007 6:33:59 PM   
DeLain

Is Vick in jail yet? I don't want to see this being extended to next year...
Post #: 88
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/23/2007 7:21:44 PM   
Jeff Jesser

[quote="DeLain"]Is Vick in jail yet? I don't want to see this being extended to next year...[/quote] The circus begins this week in Richmond. That ought to be interesting to say the least.
Post #: 89
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/23/2007 7:24:20 PM   
DeLain

[quote="Jeff Jesser"][quote="DeLain"]Is Vick in jail yet? I don't want to see this being extended to next year...[/quote] The circus begins this week in Richmond. That ought to be interesting to say the least.[/quote] You going over there to witness the Debacle?
Post #: 90
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/24/2007 3:40:29 AM   
Todd M

So Vick is ordered not to report to training camp and Goodell tells the Falcons to wait on disciplinary action while they hold their own investigation on this. The NFL is not starting at square one on this why the slow play?
Post #: 91
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/24/2007 4:28:36 PM   
Jeff Jesser

[quote="DeLain"][quote="Jeff Jesser"][quote="DeLain"]Is Vick in jail yet? I don't want to see this being extended to next year...[/quote] The circus begins this week in Richmond. That ought to be interesting to say the least.[/quote] You going over there to witness the Debacle?[/quote] Nah, Richmond is 2 hours from me and I bet that will be a complete disaster. There will be (IMO) 2 camps there. The Norfolk, Newport News-ish area is only about 30 minutes from there. There will be pro-peta types but also a lot of pro-Vickers. It would be interesting to say the least.
Post #: 92
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/24/2007 4:40:00 PM   
Jeff Jesser

[quote="Todd Mallett"]So Vick is ordered not to report to training camp and Goodell tells the Falcons to wait on disciplinary action while they hold their own investigation on this. The NFL is not starting at square one on this why the slow play?[/quote] I don't think RG had any intention of addressing this from the get-go but the public scrutiny has become too large. He essentially had to do SOMETHING and this was the easiest for the league and the Falcons. Now they can wash their hands (virtually) of this until it's solved but if he somehow he's innocent, the Falcons still look like they were behind him the whole time.
Post #: 93
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/24/2007 5:36:22 PM   
thebigo

[quote="Duane Sampson"]-- Emmitt Smith Weighs in on Vick Dogfighting Indictment -- Sat Jul 21, 2007 AP reports NFL career rushing leader RB Emmitt Smith thinks federal investigators targeted Atlanta Falcons QB Michael Vick to get to others involved in an alleged dogfighting operation. "He's the biggest fish in the whole doggone pond right now so they're putting the squeeze on him to get to everyone else," Smith said Saturday. Vick and three associates are accused of competitive dogfighting, procuring and training pit bulls for fighting, and conducting the enterprise across state lines. Vick is scheduled to be arraigned Thursday in federal court in Richmond, Va. Smith, who was enshrined in the College Football Hall of Fame on Saturday along with 19 others, was asked what he thought about the Vick situation. He said he believes federal investigators are trying to pressure Vick to turn on the others. "Now, granted he might have been to a dogfight a time or two, maybe five times, maybe 20 times, may have bet some money, but he's not the one you're after. He's not the one you're after, he's just the one whose going to take the fall -- publicly." But Smith also placed some blame on Vick, saying athletes need to realize they have to break ties with some people from their past "because where we're going, it's not for everybody to come with us. You have to learn to cut some of those guys loose. Because the things that they do, we cannot do no more." We cannot do that no more.... :pirate:[/quote] And now, deep social commentary, by Emmit Smith. :lol:
Post #: 94
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/24/2007 11:45:32 PM   
Todd M

[quote="Jeff Jesser"][quote="Todd Mallett"]So Vick is ordered not to report to training camp and Goodell tells the Falcons to wait on disciplinary action while they hold their own investigation on this. The NFL is not starting at square one on this why the slow play?[/quote] I don't think RG had any intention of addressing this from the get-go but the public scrutiny has become too large. He essentially had to do SOMETHING and this was the easiest for the league and the Falcons. Now they can wash their hands (virtually) of this until it's solved but if he somehow he's innocent, the Falcons still look like they were behind him the whole time.[/quote] That'sad to think he'd have been happy if this was Poindexters case only and it went away as was headed. The part of the press conference that I've gotten to see had the Falcons organization ready to hand out the maximum suspension they could, 4 games, but the league stepped in and told them to wait. I think that would have been a good start. The league could have stepped in at any time to shut him down for the year. But hey a paid vacation missing out on the hard work at TC is good. :bs: One thing I dislike is the constant loop of Vick highlights. Look over here everyone he's good, oooh look at that run...look at that pass vague house shots...back to highlights.
Post #: 95
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/25/2007 12:55:21 AM   
Todd M

COMMISH BACKING VICK INTO A CORNER? PFT.com Says the NFL's official release on the matter: "Commissioner Goodell informed Vick that the review would be completed as soon as possible and that Vick’s full cooperation is expected." Key words: "Vick's full cooperation is expected." As a practical matter, Vick's full cooperation is unlikely. We can see it now. Vick and lawyer Billy Martin travel to New York to be grilled by the Commish and one or more of the blue suits from Covington & Burling. With each question posed to Vick in an effort to determine whether he knew about or was involved in the barbaric activities that unfolded on his property, Martin will likely tell Vick not to answer, given that federal conspiracy charges are still pending. Of course, if Vick answers the questions, then whoever it is from the league offices who hears what he says, and makes contemporaneous notes of it or (even better) records the audio or the video of Vick saying it will be subpoenaed to testify at the criminal trial. As we've previously noted, anything that Vick says can be used against him at trial. Though he's not required to testify at trial by virtue of the Fifth Amendment, no such protection applies to the investigation that his employer is conducting. So his choices are simple -- talk to the NFL and risk giving the prosecutors more ammunition to use against him, or refuse to talk to the NFL and invite a suspension for failure to cooperate. It's a great move by the NFL. It provides the Commish with independent grounds to act against Vick if he doesn't talk It will work itself out in due time I guess.
Post #: 96
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/25/2007 1:00:24 AM   
Ian Joseph

After Week 1, this entire saga will be mildly interesting.
Post #: 97
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/25/2007 2:34:19 AM   
Todd M

[quote="Ian Joseph"]After Week 1, this entire saga will be mildly interesting.[/quote] I don't get the cavalier attitude towards this. Arguably the biggest controversy involving a professional athlete.
Post #: 98
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/25/2007 3:02:13 AM   
Todd M

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/ATL/10267451 Now, there's a distinct possibility Vick's career with the Falcons is over, even though the team would take a debilitating salary cap hit over the next two years if he's released. This dead money should go to animal shelters. Even give Blank a bit of a discount on it. Out of the 23 million Blank can take back 3. Spread the 20 million around. All of Vick's sponsors should kick some into the kitty as well.
Post #: 99
RE:Mike Vick case - 7/25/2007 4:37:25 AM   
[quote="Todd Mallett"][quote="Ian Joseph"]After Week 1, this entire saga will be mildly interesting.[/quote] I don't get the cavalier attitude towards this. Arguably the biggest controversy involving a professional athlete.[/quote] Todd, it's a sick thing, yes. Vick is screwed by the pooches he screwed in the first place. no doubt. In terms of NFL"bad role models", Vick falls to the bottom of a list that includes Ray Lewis, Michael Irvin, others.... Remember all the vitriol and humiliation our team took for "love boat"? Vick is the "hot topic".. It won't die until weeks or months after his punishment is meted out. Don't bust a vein over it. Falcons suck ass, without Vick they not only suck, but can crawl off and die at the bottom of the NFC heap for all I care. :word: :soapbox: :scream: :rofl:
  Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> General NFL Talk >> RE:Mike Vick case Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode