Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  89 90 [91] 92 93   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/7/2014 10:24:20 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

Dustin, to make this easy, the next (first lol) time we get together, beer is on you.

Just let me know brotha. I'll probably be out there again sometime in Jan or Feb. Just send me details and I'll get you paid. Well done.

Jeff, never man. haha Ditto to you next time I'm out your way. Will have to finally meet up.

Hit me on FB when youre trip is all scheduled.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 2251
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/8/2014 1:25:58 PM   
djskillz

Interesting Vegas numbers:

FSU would be underdogs against 13 teams in the country right now. Double-digit underdogs to Oregon or Alabama.

SEC favored in 10 of its 12 bowl games, the most teams any conference has had favored in a bowl season.

Big10 underdogs in all 10 of its bowl games, the most teams any conference has had as underdogs in a bowl season.

I also love the argument about how the playoffs would make the Bowl games suck. These are some of the best Bowl matchups I can ever recall. Looking forward to a ton of these games. TCU/Ole Miss, Duke/ASU, Miami/SC, USC/Nebraska, A&M/WVU, LSU/ND, Arkansas/Texas, OK/Clemson, Georgia/Louisville, BSU/AZ, MSU/Georgia Tech, Auburn/Wisconsin, Mizzou/UofM, MSU/Baylor, Kansas State/UCLA. Lots of great matchups. In addition to 2 great semifinals.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 12/8/2014 2:02:57 PM >

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2252
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/8/2014 3:13:28 PM   
DavidAOlson

Interesting article on the economics of college football:

https://sports.vice.com/article/screw-the-math-uab-can-afford-football-so-why-is-it-choosing-otherwise

quote:

Many reports have pinned UAB football's pending demise on internal Alabama state politics—specifically, on antipathy towards the program created by the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa, home to a far more famous (and successful) football team. Watts, however, insisted the move was wholly financial. At a somewhat contentious press conference, he cited a report from consulting firm CarrSports, which showed that keeping football would cost UAB $7.25 million in 2018-2019. ...

UAB is guilty of falling for one of the oldest tricks known to financial man: taking your own expense accounting as truth. ...

Western Kentucky. Like UAB, it plays football in C-USA; also like UAB, the school once faced a question of whether or not sports were draining its coffers. The bookkeeping said yes—Western Kentucky supposedly was losing $1.5 million per year across all sports in the early 1990s. Only then the school did a pretty remarkable thing: it gave its own economics professors (Melvin Borland, Brian Goff, and Robert Pulsinelli) full access to its books. When the trio finished its own analysis, they found that the school was actually making a modest profit on sports.

Armed with this analysis, Western Kentucky chose to emphasize football and moved up to FBS, eventually reaching C-USA. ...

I give myself very good advice, but I very seldom follow it. --- Alice
Post #: 2253
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/8/2014 6:45:11 PM   
Bill Jandro

Dustin, I don't think the argument is that a playoff makes the bowl games suck.

It just makes them less revelent than before. Still, as you pointed out, some very good matchups.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2254
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/8/2014 7:06:26 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

It just makes them less revelent than before. Still, as you pointed out, some very good matchups.

Ya. I just don't get that argument. It does? I think they're the exact same as before: completely meaningless.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 12/8/2014 7:16:18 PM >

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2255
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/9/2014 9:05:42 PM   
https://twitter.com/WinTheDay/status/542335342104170500/photo/1

Quick interesting story: Joey Harrington coming off the field after a win wanted to hear the Ducks Fight Song again.
Because it was so loud all the time, the cue the band leader would use was the O made with the two hands, for Oregon Fight Song.
So as Harrington is holding it up for the band, a photographer is in line and shoots the pic.

Now it's a staple in CFB.
For anyone with Nike gloves anyway.

Thumbnail Image

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 2256
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/12/2014 9:14:32 AM   
djskillz

And this is still the main problem with D1 college football; idle time. That still hasn't been solved. In what other sport do they sit out for 4-5 weeks before their "playoffs"? You can't tell me that brings out the best competition on the field. It's why I've never put a ton of stock into bowl games.

And the cry is always "we can't mess with their academics". 1) The colleges could actually care less about their academics. 2) It's not all that different from their routine during the year that they already have to manage. 3) You're talking about 80 kids/school for one month. Baseball, basketball and other college sports figure it out for their sports. They can too.

Drives me nuts. No reason these guys should be sitting for 4-5 weeks.

Post #: 2257
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/12/2014 11:05:34 AM   
bohumm

quote:

And this is still the main problem with D1 college football; idle time. That still hasn't been solved. In what other sport do they sit out for 4-5 weeks before their "playoffs"? You can't tell me that brings out the best competition on the field. It's why I've never put a ton of stock into bowl games.

And the cry is always "we can't mess with their academics". 1) The colleges could actually care less about their academics. 2) It's not all that different from their routine during the year that they already have to manage. 3) You're talking about 80 kids/school for one month. Baseball, basketball and other college sports figure it out for their sports. They can too.

All those players failing out of school in the other football divisions attest to the evil nature of playoff games. Just think how bad it would be if there wasn't a semester/holiday break in there; brainpower would just ooze out of our nation's universities, but only about 65-100 of them.
Post #: 2258
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/12/2014 2:20:03 PM   
McMurfy

The extra time allows for Alabama fans to say things like

"Yes Oklahoma beat us, it's hard for our guys to get up for a Bowl Game when they're used to playing for National Championships"

Thumbnail Image

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by McMurfy -- 12/12/2014 2:38:18 PM >

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 2259
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/12/2014 2:25:40 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: bohumm

quote:

All those players failing out of school in the other football divisions attest to the evil nature of playoff games. Just think how bad it would be if there wasn't a semester/holiday break in there; brainpower would just ooze out of our nation's universities, but only about 65-100 of them.

Exactly. Apparently the DII and DIII student-athletes that it works for are either 1) way better at school, or 2) they don't matter.

Post #: 2260
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/12/2014 2:57:07 PM   
Jeff Allen

quote:

quote:

Ya. I just don't get that argument. It does? I think they're the exact same as before: completely meaningless.

Every Bowl game is meaningless except three...before it was one. Watching a meaningless bowl game is like watching an NIT game. I couldn't care less if the Gophers win or lose against Missouri.
Post #: 2261
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/12/2014 3:08:08 PM   
drviking

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Allen

quote:

quote:

Every Bowl game is meaningless except three...before it was one. Watching a meaningless bowl game is like watching an NIT game. I couldn't care less if the Gophers win or lose against Missouri.

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 2262
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/13/2014 10:53:28 PM   
drviking

i havent watched much college football this year.

is mariota as good as his stats look?

i watched him some last year and thought he was pretty freakin good.

"Only one thing left to do..."
Post #: 2263
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/14/2014 1:36:14 AM   
McMurfy

Bigger, Faster Russel Wilson
YMMV

Post #: 2264
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/14/2014 9:04:30 AM   
Bill Jandro

System guy. Most Oregon QB's have not done well long term in the NFL.

Mariota is amazing but the running element of his game is just not sustainable longterm on Sundays.

Post #: 2265
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/14/2014 9:59:47 AM   
bohumm

Happy for our Oregon homes.... I'm pulling for your boys in the quasi-playoff
Post #: 2266
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/14/2014 10:17:23 AM   
drew

quote:

Mariota is amazing but the running element of his game is just not sustainable longterm on Sundays.

I think Mariota would work in any system. I think he'll be a very good NFL QB.
Post #: 2267
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/14/2014 10:35:58 AM   
McMurfy

quote:

Uniformed Response

Since the spread offense was put in by Oregon,
Dennis Dixon and Kellen Clemens have carved out nice careers as back ups, which was expected of them.
Masoli went on to the CFL, again, expectation level.
Darren Thomas, who was expected to never be an NFL prospect, wasn't.

Which leads us to leftovers from Oregon's old Pro Style offense, Akili Smith and Joey Harrington.

Old system, apples and oranges.

Now back to Bill's comments,

Clueless

Post #: 2268
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/14/2014 10:42:16 AM   
McMurfy

Watch a freaking highlight film, pick one of any three years and then explain to us which system that is.

Special Player.

Post #: 2269
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/15/2014 9:29:54 PM   
Ricky J

Getting ready to fill out my weighted picks for the college pool. Any of the college football experts care to share there picks with me? Pete?
Post #: 2270
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/15/2014 10:07:42 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

Uniformed Response

Dennis Dixon and Kellen Clemens have carved out nice careers as back ups, which was expected of them.

Which leads us to leftovers from Oregon's old Pro Style offense, Akili Smith and Joey Harrington.

Clueless

I have not seen a ton of O football. What I have seen of Mariota is that he is absolutely electric.

However, the system at O does not ask him to stay in the pocket and go through all the reads. If the main read isn't there they want him to make a play with his feet. This works in college but has proven not to work on Sundays. He will have to learn to do this. The kid also has a questionable arm.

Post #: 2271
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/15/2014 10:09:23 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

Getting ready to fill out my weighted picks for the college pool. Any of the college football experts care to share there picks with me? Pete?

My name isn't Pete but I like O and OSU.

Post #: 2272
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/15/2014 10:16:33 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

My name isn't Pete but I like O and OSU.

I'll take that under advisement but there are about 25 other games.
Post #: 2273
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/15/2014 11:10:04 PM   
McMurfy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

quote:

Uniformed Response

Clueless

I have not seen a ton of O football. What I have seen of Mariota is that he is absolutely electric.

However, the system at O does not ask him to stay in the pocket and go through all the reads. If the main read isn't there they want him to make a play with his feet. This works in college but has proven not to work on Sundays. He will have to learn to do this. The kid also has a questionable arm.

Clearly You have not, but don't let me tell you,
just Google. scouts take on Marcus Mariota, read the top 5 articles.

The Experts contradict everything you just said.

Post #: 2274
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/15/2014 11:27:58 PM   
Mariota is no sure thing, but he easily has an NFL arm.
Easily.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 2275
Page:   <<   < prev  89 90 [91] 92 93   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  89 90 [91] 92 93   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode