Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NCAA Basketball

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: NCAA Basketball Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/7/2008 9:55:26 AM   
Jim Frenette

I see Beasley had 35 last night for K-State. I have yet seen him play but Vitale has him as 1 of 3 to win player of the year. Is he a 1 or 2 or 3? Is he a possible #1 pick if he comes out?

Fargo
Post #: 26
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/7/2008 10:06:44 AM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

I see Beasley had 35 last night for K-State. I have yet seen him play but Vitale has him as 1 of 3 to win player of the year. Is he a 1 or 2 or 3? Is he a possible #1 pick if he comes out?

He's a 3 or a 4, Jim.  And ya, he'll be a top 3 pick for sure.  Right now it looks like a battle between him and Rose for #1.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 27
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/7/2008 10:45:21 AM   
I think Beasley will get Player of the Year and he will also be the first selected in the draft.
  Post #: 28
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/7/2008 10:50:57 AM   
Jim Frenette

Pete would he look good in the Timberwolve uniform?

Dustin if he could be a 4, how big is he?

I got to catch this kid play.

Fargo
Post #: 29
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/7/2008 12:58:46 PM   
quote:

Yes, that's why I think he'll be the first pick.  I think he can step in as a 3 or even a 4 for most teams and make an immediate impact. 

He's 6-9, 235 and just turned 19.  He'll get bigger and end up being a 4 in the NBA, IMO.  I like him best as a PF because of his great rebounding skills, but he's quick enough and  good enough of a shooter to play the 3.
  Post #: 30
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/7/2008 1:04:08 PM   
Jim Frenette

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete C

quote:

Yes, that's why I think he'll be the first pick.  I think he can step in as a 3 or even a 4 for most teams and make an immediate impact. 

He's 6-9, 235 and just turned 19.  He'll get bigger and end up being a 4 in the NBA, IMO.  I like him best as a PF because of his great rebounding skills, but he's quick enough and  good enough of a shooter to play the 3.

Sounds good and I'll have to make sure to catch K-State the next time on TV

Fargo
Post #: 31
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/7/2008 1:17:06 PM   
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete C

quote:

Sounds good and I'll have to make sure to catch K-State the next time on TV

I think they're on Sat. night against OK ST, on espn.  Also, Wednesday against Texas Tech. 
  Post #: 32
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/7/2008 3:02:38 PM   
Jim Frenette

Thanks Pete

Fargo
Post #: 33
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/7/2008 6:53:18 PM   
djskillz

Ya, I agree with Pete that he is a likely 4, and that's actually why I don't want him on the Wolves.  I don't think Jefferson should be a 5.  2 years ago I would have said yes, as it looked like the league was trending that way.  But now there's too many quality young REAL centers for him to be able to guard him.  He'd get owned by all of Howard/Oden/Bynum at least defensively.

So I think the draft will come down to need.  If you need a PG-Rose, if a SG-Gordon/Mayo, F-Beasley, C-Jordan, etc.  Beasley and Rose are the top 2 "talents" IMO.  But Jordan has a very high ceiling as a C.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 34
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/7/2008 7:01:42 PM   
djskillz

Pete, who would you compare Beasley to?  I've been trying to figure out a comparison to him.  I know a lot of people say Derick Coleman, who was a beast back in the day, but I'm not sure.  A better Derek McKey maybe?  Durant with bulk? 

Really tough to compare.  Can you think of one?

Post #: 35
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/7/2008 10:38:42 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

Pete, who would you compare Beasley to?  I've been trying to figure out a comparison to him.  I know a lot of people say Derick Coleman, who was a beast back in the day, but I'm not sure.  A better Derek McKey maybe?  Durant with bulk? 

Really tough to compare.  Can you think of one?

Good question.  Caught up in the Indiana/Illinois game right now, have to give it more thought.  But I think that's what makes Beasley so good - I can't quickly recall another college player that he reminds me of.  Coleman is an interesting comparison but I think Beasley has a much better understanding of the game and much, much better shot selection and a harder worker.  DC had some lazy in him.

Back to the game, you watching it?  Gordon banked a 3 from Peoria to send it to OT, after Pruitt missed a FT.  Then tied in OT, Pruitt misses two FT's with 2.2 left.  2nd OT.

< Message edited by Pete C -- 2/7/2008 10:40:10 PM >
  Post #: 36
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/7/2008 10:43:06 PM   
djskillz

Gah, no I'm not.  Wish I was.

And on the Coleman comparison, ya, a motivated Coleman.  I'm not sure who to compare him to either.

What do you think of Gordon?  I like him, but don't think he'll be all that at the NBA level I guess.  Could be a Ben Gordon type, which isn't bad at all, just not star quality.  Will be interesting.

Post #: 37
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/7/2008 10:55:31 PM   
quote:

Gah, no I'm not.  Wish I was.

And on the Coleman comparison, ya, a motivated Coleman.  I'm not sure who to compare him to either.

What do you think of Gordon?  I like him, but don't think he'll be all that at the NBA level I guess.  Could be a Ben Gordon type, which isn't bad at all, just not star quality.  Will be interesting.

I really like Gordon, BUT I absolutely, positively think he should come back for his soph season.  As I see him now, if he comes out, he could only dream to be like Ben.  I love his range but I think he would be better served to learn the game a little better at the NCAA level.  He gets frustrated at times and disappears, and that's not a good sign.  Also, I personally think that his body-fat% is too high.  He's strong, but he carries some weight that isn't muscle.
  Post #: 38
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/7/2008 11:12:33 PM   
djskillz

Ditto.  We are in agreement there.  Good to hear your thoughts.

Man I love the college game!

Post #: 39
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/8/2008 10:05:58 AM   
Jim Frenette

I see ESPN will carry the Minn/Iowa match-up Sat.

Fargo
Post #: 40
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/8/2008 10:38:28 AM   
Mr. Ed

Gophs Hawks at Carver? That will be a toughie for MN...Iowa has played pretty tough, low-scoring at home.

I am so happy with the progress that Tubby has made with this team, in less than a year.

The bar had gotten so low that it would not have taken much, but look at what he's done for Coleman and Tollackson. They are miles better than at this point a year ago.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 41
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/11/2008 9:34:35 PM   
djskillz

Who knows how this game turns out, but I really do love this Kansas team.  They fight hard and have great unselfishness.  Basically they are Duke with size to me.

And I know I'm a homer for this, but I still love Mario Chalmers.  I think he's going to be a very good NBA player.  Just love the guy.

Post #: 42
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/11/2008 10:50:40 PM   
djskillz

Good game.  Both teams played really hard.

And Chalmers was impressive down the stretch.  Almost singlehandedly brought Kansas back for a win.  I'm telling you, love that guy.  I think he's one of those guys that will do better in the NBA than college.  Some coach will get with him and utilize his skills properly.  I think he could be an excellent PG if they would just let him.  He's quick, he's got great length, he has great passing ability, and he's one of the best shooters out there.  (did win the McDonalds 3 point contest a few years ago as well)

In fact, I would love if the Wolves got him as their PG.

Post #: 43
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/16/2008 11:13:17 AM   
My upset special tonight:  UAB (if Vaden plays) over Memphis.  UAB is tough at home and maybe they catch Memphis looking ahead to the Tennessee game.
  Post #: 44
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/16/2008 11:20:58 AM   
quote:

Good game.  Both teams played really hard.

And Chalmers was impressive down the stretch.  Almost singlehandedly brought Kansas back for a win.  I'm telling you, love that guy.  I think he's one of those guys that will do better in the NBA than college.  Some coach will get with him and utilize his skills properly.  I think he could be an excellent PG if they would just let him.  He's quick, he's got great length, he has great passing ability, and he's one of the best shooters out there.  (did win the McDonalds 3 point contest a few years ago as well)

In fact, I would love if the Wolves got him as their PG.

Chalmers is kinda' stuck in nowhere land.  Too small to be an effective 2 in the NBA and not enough opportunities to hone his PG skills at Kansas. 

He is a smooth shooter, but for the money, Shan Foster may be the best shooter in the country.  Also, Lofton after a horrible start, is really back on his game.  What's up with the state of TN getting all of these shooters?

< Message edited by Pete C -- 2/16/2008 11:24:22 AM >
  Post #: 45
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/16/2008 2:56:42 PM   
djskillz

Nothing to do out here, Pete.  

And ya, I agree on Chalmers.  That's what I'm saying; if someone puts in the time to make him play PG, I think he'll thrive and someone will have a steal on their hands.  I sure hope the Lakers or TWolves get to him in the late 1st/early 2nd rd this year.

Post #: 46
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/16/2008 11:34:52 PM   
A good day for basketball.  Beasley puts up 37 in the first half against Missouri, he outscored the entire team in the first half.  It's official, I have never, ever seen two freshman on the same team as good as Beasley and Walker.  It's likely Walker also enters the draft.  Player of the year is over, Beasley in a landslide.

Vandy holds off Florida, maybe delivered the death blow to Florida's NCAA hopes.  Syracuse beating GTown wasn't a big surprise, Georgetown barely got by Nova and WV, and if it wasn't for a little help from the officials, both would have been losses.  UConn nearly got beat by South Fla.  Jim Calhoun is a great coach.  Louisville now leads the conference.  Big East is probably the best conference in the country this year.

DJ White goes down for Indiana in the first half yet they dominated Michigan State.  Gordon with a real solid game. Is Purdue the best team in the Big 10?

Man, UAB had Memphis but they couldn't close the deal.  Sooner or later that AWFUL FT shooting for Memphis is going to kill them. 

Arizona made a great comeback against Stanford, but unfortunately the officials couldn't blow the whistle against the freaky looking Lopez brothers.  Brook may be an okay player but Robin Lopez is the most un-athletic 7 footer since Randy Breuer.  Pac 10 is strong this year though.  UCLA gets a break tomorrow facing USC without Hackett
  Post #: 47
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/16/2008 11:45:48 PM   
Can you think of any freshmen that looked as good as Beasley?  In recent memory, even though I'm not a big fan, Paul Pierce was as polished as any freshman I ever saw, and Kenny Anderson at GT was an absolute killer.  Beasley is already better than a lot of 3's and 4's in the NBA.  I'm having a hard time coming up with any freshman that was as good as he is. 
  Post #: 48
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/16/2008 11:55:10 PM   
djskillz

Pete, I agree on almost all.  Walker's a sophomore though.  And ya, I think someone will get a steal with him in the draft if he can keep his knees healthy (2 acl's now). 

I hate the Lopez brothers; it's so weird those 2.  But ya, the Pac10 is MUCH, MUCH better as a conference now. 

Even though I'm not a fan, I suppose Melo has to be up there for recent freshmen.  I feel like I'm missing someone else too.  Grant Hill was an amazing freshman too, he just had a couple of college superstar teammates with him on the team.  Also, for "polish" I think Singler has to be there this year.  He's not as good, but he's very, very polished already.  Just a super-high BBIQ.

Edit: I didn't know that Walker got his freshman eligibility back.  Guess they gave him a redshirt for last year.  I stand corrected.

< Message edited by djskillz -- 2/16/2008 11:57:59 PM >

Post #: 49
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/17/2008 12:09:36 AM   
quote:

Pete, I agree on almost all.  Walker's a sophomore though.  And ya, I think someone will get a steal with him in the draft if he can keep his knees healthy (2 acl's now). 

I hate the Lopez brothers; it's so weird those 2.  But ya, the Pac10 is MUCH, MUCH better as a conference now. 

Even though I'm not a fan, I suppose Melo has to be up there for recent freshmen.  I feel like I'm missing someone else too.  Grant Hill was an amazing freshman too, he just had a couple of college superstar teammates with him on the team.  Also, for "polish" I think Singler has to be there this year.  He's not as good, but he's very, very polished already.  Just a super-high BBIQ.

Edit: I didn't know that Walker got his freshman eligibility back.  Guess they gave him a redshirt for last year.  I stand corrected.

Yeah, Walker was redshirted, in fact he had two ACL's.  Pretty amazing story actually.
Edit:  opps, you already mentioned it.

I know I'm probably missing some other freshmen too but when you watch Beasley, they all seem to fade from memory.  Melo was great as a freshman, but IMO, he wasn't even close to Pierce and Anderson.  It's funny, because I don't like Pierce's game in the NBA, and Anderson was never anywhere as near as good in the NBA as he was in college.  Kenny just didn't have the body for the professional league.  I loved him at GT though.  I remember a triple overtime game they had against LSU (i think) and Anderson played all 55 minutes.  He had Oliver and Scott but no center to get the easy dish, yet he managed to be right at the top of the ACC in assists. 

< Message edited by Pete C -- 2/17/2008 12:10:59 AM >
  Post #: 50
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: NCAA Basketball Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode