Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NCAA Basketball

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: NCAA Basketball Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/1/2008 5:50:27 PM   
Jim Frenette

Congrats to the 3 seniors today, Spenser, Lawrence and Dan on a big win for them on there last game at the Barn.

Fargo
Post #: 76
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/1/2008 7:35:05 PM   
Lynn G.

It was a fun game to watch.  I first tuned it in about halfway through the first half and they were up by three or four.  But right after that Ohio popped in a couple to take the lead and I feared I was some kind of jinx.  So I turned it off for a few minutes while I filled the bird feeder and then turned it back on and watched until the end.

Phew - I'm not a jinx!

There was a stretch in the last 15 minutes or so that looked like they almost couldn't miss, and you could just feel the confidence in those guys.  No matter what happens in the next couple of games, they've got a lot to be proud of and Gopher fans have a lot to be hopeful for.

Put our country back in the hands of people who actually want to do things to help everyday citizens. Elect Democrats.
Post #: 77
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/1/2008 8:34:05 PM   
djskillz

Congrats to the Gophers.  Great win. 

Tubby is sure impressing me this year.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 78
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/1/2008 9:07:25 PM   
Jason Dorn

They came up big on Senior day, great for those young men to go out winners on the home floor.  18-10 still alive, Indiana is ripe for the upset and the Gophs have payback to the Illini, 5th seed for the tournament would be huge.

Tubby has restored some life back to the program, the BARN was rocking today, McKenzie went off.  Keep it up, nothing is done yet, good time to catch fire ... GO GOPHERS!!!!

Skol ... Vikings can win the Super Bowl.
Post #: 79
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/2/2008 10:57:07 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Dorn

They came up big on Senior day, great for those young men to go out winners on the home floor.  18-10 still alive, Indiana is ripe for the upset and the Gophs have payback to the Illini, 5th seed for the tournament would be huge.

Tubby has restored some life back to the program, the BARN was rocking today, McKenzie went off.  Keep it up, nothing is done yet, good time to catch fire ... GO GOPHERS!!!!

Tubby has done a masterful job.  Talk about getting the most out of your players.

Unfortunately there is very close to NO chance for the Gophers to make the Tournament.  I don't see the Big10 sending five, and even if they do, Ohio State would get the edge.  They have a couple quality wins that would give them the edge.  Nothing wrong with a NIT bid considering where this team was last season.

< Message edited by Pete C -- 3/2/2008 10:59:18 AM >
  Post #: 80
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/2/2008 11:44:17 AM   
Jason Dorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete C

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Dorn

Tubby has done a masterful job.  Talk about getting the most out of your players.

Unfortunately there is very close to NO chance for the Gophers to make the Tournament.  I don't see the Big10 sending five, and even if they do, Ohio State would get the edge.  They have a couple quality wins that would give them the edge.  Nothing wrong with a NIT bid considering where this team was last season.

No disagreement at all.  They are barely alive and must beat Indiana/Illinois to stay alive. 

Ohio St has Purdue and Mich St both at home, tough finish.  Fifth in the Big Ten isnt out of the question even with a split, which is huge with the bye.

If they can win out, finsih fifth, and beat MSU in the first round, play tough in the semis, I think they have a realistic shot.  Long shot, definately, but not impossible. 

Skol ... Vikings can win the Super Bowl.
Post #: 81
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/2/2008 11:51:49 AM   
djskillz

I'm with ya, Pete.  The Big10 is very mediocre as a conference right now.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 82
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/7/2008 11:54:25 PM   
Some good games tomorrow.  Obviously the UNC/Duke game will be fun, Duke's a slight favorite.
Louisville/G'Town should be good too.  Louisville is playing as good as anybody right now.
Syracuse has a big home game against Marquette.  And I think Vanderbilt/Bama will be a good game to watch too.  I'm a big Shan Foster fan, I think he's the best shooter in the country, and he has scored 125 points in the last four games while shooting 65% from the field.
  Post #: 83
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/8/2008 12:03:13 AM   
djskillz

Hey Pete.

I'm still mad I passed on my chance (free tix from my boss offered) to go see Vandy/Mississippi St. the other night.  Guess I missed a great one.  Oh well.

Obviously can't wait for Duke/UNC tomorrow.  Any thoughts on the game?  I think I mainly agree with the "analysts."  Singler/Hansbrough is the key. 

I would add Lawson/Paulus to that as well.  That's going to be a tough matchup for Duke.  I'd try to use Nelson on Lawson as much as possible.

Post #: 84
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/8/2008 12:20:55 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

Hey Pete.

I'm still mad I passed on my chance (free tix from my boss offered) to go see Vandy/Mississippi St. the other night.  Guess I missed a great one.  Oh well.

Obviously can't wait for Duke/UNC tomorrow.  Any thoughts on the game?  I think I mainly agree with the "analysts."  Singler/Hansbrough is the key. 

I would add Lawson/Paulus to that as well.  That's going to be a tough matchup for Duke.  I'd try to use Nelson on Lawson as much as possible.

I used to live in SEC country and have seen games at every venue, I miss that so much.  5 hour road trip away from just about every SEC and most ACC teams.

Duke/UNC, Duke has to limit the second chance opportunities, they must rebound well to win.  Hansbrough is going to get his, but I think the key for Duke defensively is to limit Lawson and Ellington.  Nelson has to guard Lawson but that takes Duke's best rebounder away from the basket, tough match-ups for Duke I think, but Carolina's inability to defend the perimeter should equal things out.  In a perfect world, UNC wins and then they meet again for the ACC Championship.
  Post #: 85
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/8/2008 12:32:47 AM   
djskillz

That's not a perfect world, Pete.  A perfect world is Duke winning BOTH tomorrow AND next week.  

I agree with that.  I think to me, Duke has to do 4 things to win:

1) Get some solid play/minutes out of Zubek/Thomas in the post and some decent boards.
2) Singler to take Hansbrough out of the paint and make him work on defense.
3) Henderson to lock down on his best buddy Ellington.  He definitely has the ability to.  Just needs to do it again.
4) Nelson to lock down on Lawson.

If they accomplish at least 3 of those 4, I think they have a great shot to win.  But as usual, this should be a great, great game.  Neither team winning would surprise me one bit.

Post #: 86
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/8/2008 12:35:01 AM   
djskillz

BTW Pete, I'm definitely planning on getting a ticket package for both football and basketball next year.  It's amazing how cheap Vandy season tix are.

My boss has season basketball tix for $70!  That's like $4/game or so, and for some great competition mixed in.

And he has football SEASON tix for $100!  1 SEC game alone is worth that.  I paid almost that price just for the ONE Cal/Tenn game I went to last year.

Amazing.

Post #: 87
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/8/2008 11:43:33 PM   
djskillz

Well, tough game as a Duke fan tonight.  Great game and a great comeback; just not enough.  Not enough good looks, and the worst spacing I've seen from Duke in a while.  But I also credit Carolina's D, which was plenty good. 

The one thing that was really encouraging about tonight though was how Duke was able to pretty much shut down Hansbrough in the 2nd half.  And Zoubek REALLY looked good for a few stretches there.  If he takes his game up a notch in the next 2 weeks, Duke actually could advance pretty far in the tourney.

Post #: 88
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/11/2008 7:25:16 PM   
Mr. Ed

Tyler Hansbrough's jersey to be retired by UNC.

OVER-RATED

(clap-clap  clap-clap-clap)

Escape while you can!
Post #: 89
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/11/2008 9:43:57 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

OVER-RATED

He's had an outstanding college career. 

But as I keep saying; Kris Humphries II to me.

Post #: 90
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/12/2008 6:56:49 AM   
quote:

OVER-RATED

I really don't think he's over rated as a college basketball player.  But like DJ said above, he doesn't project well as a NBA player.  Those are two separate things.

(Trivia Question) Hansbrough has averaged a double double this season.  I bet you'd have a difficult time coming up with two other former UNC players that averaged double digit points and rebounds for one season.

< Message edited by Pete C -- 3/12/2008 7:01:08 AM >
  Post #: 91
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/12/2008 8:17:23 AM   
Mr. Ed

Just guessing, and only in the past 20 years or so, Worthy/Perkins probably one of them.

He makes off-balance shots in traffic. He's a banger and plays hard. Good for him.

Still don't think that's worthy of jersey retirment. JMO.

Escape while you can!
Post #: 92
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/12/2008 8:26:58 AM   
quote:

Just guessing, and only in the past 20 years or so, Worthy/Perkins probably one of them.

He makes off-balance shots in traffic. He's a banger and plays hard. Good for him.

Both are good guesses, but neither correct.  Perkins was very, very close but came up just a bit short in rebounds.  '82-83 he averaged 9.4 rebounds and '83-'84 he averaged 9.6. 

Worthy was a bit further off with his best season averaging 8.4 rebounds per game.

I haven't completely researched it but only one UNC player comes to mind (Edit: other than Hansbrough) as having accomplished this, and his name might surprise you.  I'm going to dig a little and see if anybody else has done it.

< Message edited by Pete C -- 3/12/2008 9:06:04 AM >
  Post #: 93
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/12/2008 9:09:08 AM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

Both are good guesses, but neither correct.  Perkins was very, very close but came up just a bit short in rebounds.  '82-83 he averaged 9.4 rebounds and '83-'84 he averaged 9.6. 

Worthy was a bit further off with his best season averaging 8.4 rebounds per game.

I haven't completely researched it but only one UNC player comes to mind (Edit: other than Hansbrough) as having accomplished this, and his name might surprise you.  I'm going to dig a little and see if anybody else has done it.

Just off the top of my head, I'd choose one of two guys: George Lynch or Eric Montross.

Will have to do some more thinking though.

I agree as a college guy, Pete.  He plays hard as hell, etc.  And his career numbers are actually pretty staggering.  But like you say, Ed, his shots really are pretty ugly a lot.  Kind of a big man Jeff Hornacek in some ways.  I guess we can all agree that he won't translate well to the next level.

Post #: 94
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/12/2008 9:15:01 AM   
quote:

quote:

quote:

Just off the top of my head, I'd choose one of two guys: George Lynch or Eric Montross.

Will have to do some more thinking though.

I agree as a college guy, Pete.  He plays hard as hell, etc.  And his career numbers are actually pretty staggering.  But like you say, Ed, his shots really are pretty ugly a lot.  Kind of a big man Jeff Hornacek in some ways.  I guess we can all agree that he won't translate well to the next level.

Two more good guesses but not quite.  Lynch just missed with a 9.6 rebound avg.  And Montross' best season was 8.1 rebounds per game.

Here's a clue:  he played before the guys that have been mentioned.

< Message edited by Pete C -- 3/12/2008 9:16:31 AM >
  Post #: 95
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/12/2008 9:20:52 AM   
djskillz

Oh, Haywood would be another guess.  MAYBE Jamison.

Post #: 96
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/12/2008 9:26:00 AM   
quote:

Oh, Haywood would be another guess.  MAYBE Jamison.

Yes! on Jamison in '97-'98.  That leaves just one more in addition to Tyler.
I've gone back 50 years and only found Hansbrough, Jamison and ?
  Post #: 97
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/12/2008 9:26:18 AM   
djskillz

Kupchak?

Post #: 98
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/12/2008 9:35:57 AM   
quote:

Kupchak?

We have a winner.

Kupchak did it twice.  '74-75 and '75-'76.
  Post #: 99
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/12/2008 9:38:14 AM   
djskillz

Sweet! 

Took me 5 guesses I suppose, but at least I didn't have to look for anyone.

Post #: 100
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: NCAA Basketball Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode