Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: NCAA Basketball

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: NCAA Basketball Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/17/2008 12:20:18 AM   
WRT Singler, I already have him on my short list for Player of the year for next season. 
  Post #: 51
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/17/2008 12:32:02 AM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pete C

WRT Singler, I already have him on my short list for Player of the year for next season. 

Ya, could be.  I still think Hansbrough might get POY because of his competition/name recognition this year.

And I agree on Pierce/Anderson completely.  Anderson was a freak in college.  Always hated Pierce's game college and pro, just like Melo for me.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 52
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/17/2008 12:34:40 AM   
djskillz

Hmm, we might not be missing anyone, Pete.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jones/070126

That's just one person's list, but I can't think of any others of late. 

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 53
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/17/2008 1:00:38 AM   
Of all the people on that list the only one I forgot about was Jackson.  Man, what a smooth release he had. 

I actually really like Hansbrough, but if there is any justice in the sports journalism world, he comes in a distant second to the Beast in the Wheat.  I made that one up myself, btw.
  Post #: 54
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/17/2008 1:08:02 AM   
djskillz

quote:

Of all the people on that list the only one I forgot about was Jackson.  Man, what a smooth release he had. 

I actually really like Hansbrough, but if there is any justice in the sports journalism world, he comes in a distant second to the Beast in the Wheat.  I made that one up myself, btw.

haha, nice one. 

Ya, I've lost all respect for all sports awards anyway.  They're all jokes. 

I still think Hansbrough is basically Kris Humphries II.  Just way too unathletic to make it as anything more than a role player in the NBA, and his "banging" won't translate when he's facing real bodies.

Post #: 55
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/17/2008 1:40:47 AM   
I pretty much agree with you on Tyler, except he has more drive than Humprhies ever did.  Hansbrough is a man without a position in the NBA, but he's still not as slow and flabby as Kevin Love.  I would give you Hansbrough and Love if I get Beasley.
  Post #: 56
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/17/2008 9:50:14 AM   
Jim Frenette

Pete good call on the UAB upset. You almost pulled it off. I don't think any of the experts would have called it that close.

Fargo
Post #: 57
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/17/2008 9:33:30 PM   
djskillz

Well, dammit.  Duke's run ends.  A loss to Wake.  I blame myself for this loss as I didn't get to see the game.  Haven't missed a Duke game in a long time this year.

Oh well, tough, all but impossible, to go undefeated in the ACC.  Gotta bounce back strong.

I am happy for Wake with the Prosser situation though.  That is really, really tough.

Post #: 58
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/19/2008 11:17:45 AM   
Actually, I don't think it's such a bad thing to lose one this time of year.  Get refocused and ready for conference championship run. 

If Lawson doesn't get healthy, UNC could be playing far from home in the tourney.
  Post #: 59
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/19/2008 2:07:59 PM   
djskillz

quote:

Actually, I don't think it's such a bad thing to lose one this time of year.  Get refocused and ready for conference championship run. 

If Lawson doesn't get healthy, UNC could be playing far from home in the tourney.

Ya, that's my only disappointment in the loss really.  That #1 seed is going to be HUGE for UNC/Duke for a "home" setup.

Post #: 60
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/21/2008 9:42:46 AM   
Jim Frenette

Duke lost again last night and to Miami?

Fargo
Post #: 61
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/21/2008 2:06:51 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim Frenette

Duke lost again last night and to Miami?

Yeah, I watched most of that game and it wasn't pretty.  One of the worse defensive performances by a Duke team that I have seen in a long time. 

Scheyer is about the only Duke player that had a good game.  They are going to have to find a way to get more out of their big guys if they want to advance deep into the tournament.  When your 2Guard continues to be your best rebounder, that's not a good thing.

I don't expect another defensive performance like that from them again though.  Coach K looked pretty damn mad.
  Post #: 62
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/25/2008 10:32:55 PM   
Impressive win for Texas at KState.  Augustin is so damn quick and shooting the ball better.

I really liked Durant, BUT does anybody else think one of the reasons Texas is so good this year is because they are no longer dealing with his poor shot selection?
  Post #: 63
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/26/2008 12:10:55 AM   
djskillz

quote:

Impressive win for Texas at KState.  Augustin is so damn quick and shooting the ball better.

I really liked Durant, BUT does anybody else think one of the reasons Texas is so good this year is because they are no longer dealing with his poor shot selection?

Totally, totally agree Pete. 

I like Durant, but he still reminded me a lot of Melo (who I hate) in many, many ways.  One man show, sort of.  And I think it hurt guys like Augustin a ton.

I'd still take Rose over Beasley, personally.  Just a gut feeling.  I can't back that up with a whole lot.

Post #: 64
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/26/2008 12:21:16 AM   
Word is that quite a few NBA scouts say that Beasley is only 6'7".  That changes things, a lot, IMO.
  Post #: 65
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/26/2008 12:35:25 AM   
djskillz

quote:

Word is that quite a few NBA scouts say that Beasley is only 6'7".  That changes things, a lot, IMO.

Ya, it very well could.  And that is about what he looks like to me.  I don't see him as 6'9" at all.  He's very good.  I just prefer Rose still for some reason.

I will fully admit that I'm generally a "PG" guy though.  Magic is my favorite player all-time, so I guess it stems from that.

Post #: 66
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/26/2008 9:49:14 AM   
Jim Frenette

McHale was there last night watching Beasley, or I guess it could have been all of the players

Fargo
Post #: 67
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/26/2008 10:21:44 AM   
djskillz

quote:

McHale was there last night watching Beasley, or I guess it could have been all of the players

Bill Walker too I would assume.  Or Augustin.

Post #: 68
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/26/2008 11:07:12 AM   
David Levine

quote:

Word is that quite a few NBA scouts say that Beasley is only 6'7". That changes things, a lot, IMO.

Isn't that possibly better for us? Seems to make him more of a SF in the Pro game. I haven't seen enough of him to know if he has the quickness to defend the 3, but he seems to have the shooting range.
Post #: 69
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/29/2008 3:56:38 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

quote:

As much as I like Augustin's game at the collegiate level, I couldn't even imagine ANY NBA team paying any attention to him while Beasley is on the floor. 

Augustin is a really good, maybe great, college PG, but he is so far away from being a NBA player.  Jacque Vaughn was so much better at that level, and he can't get any NBA clock.  Augustin is quick and a great ball handler, but also a guy that turns the ball over way too much.  He's weak, and he couldn't possibly create his own shot in the NBA.  If McHale was there scouting Augustin, more bad news for the Wolves.
  Post #: 70
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/29/2008 11:47:50 AM   
djskillz

quote:

quote:

quote:

As much as I like Augustin's game at the collegiate level, I couldn't even imagine ANY NBA team paying any attention to him while Beasley is on the floor. 

Augustin is a really good, maybe great, college PG, but he is so far away from being a NBA player.  Jacque Vaughn was so much better at that level, and he can't get any NBA clock.  Augustin is quick and a great ball handler, but also a guy that turns the ball over way too much.  He's weak, and he couldn't possibly create his own shot in the NBA.  If McHale was there scouting Augustin, more bad news for the Wolves.

Pete.  Just wanted to clarify.  I wasn't saying he was there to just watch Augustin.  I agree with those thoughts (and I'm lower on Beasley than most).  I was just saying that he can scout 2 other good players in the process.  I really think someone's going to get a steal with Walker IF (and I know this is big) he can stay healthy.

Post #: 71
RE: NCAA Basketball - 2/29/2008 11:38:05 PM   
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Pete.  Just wanted to clarify.  I wasn't saying he was there to just watch Augustin.  I agree with those thoughts (and I'm lower on Beasley than most).  I was just saying that he can scout 2 other good players in the process.  I really think someone's going to get a steal with Walker IF (and I know this is big) he can stay healthy.

I hear ya.  And I agree on Walker.  He's worth the risk, IMO.

I was pretty happy to hear that Beasley is actually considering stayin in school.  I know that the opportunity and the money to go number 1 may change that, but I like his attitude. 
  Post #: 72
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/1/2008 1:18:23 PM   
djskillz

WOW, what a comeback for Duke against NCState.  Hell of a game!

And 800 wins for Coach K already!  

Post #: 73
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/1/2008 5:04:03 PM   
So.Mn.Fan

Dustin/George/Pete
Congrats to Coach k on #800.
Wow, thats a lot of games.
A lot of games.
A ridiculous number of wins.

And a nice effort today for Tubby's boys at the Barn.
Very good basketball has returned to the U.
Like it should.
Post #: 74
RE: NCAA Basketball - 3/1/2008 5:30:11 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: So.Mn.Fan

And a nice effort today for Tubby's boys at the Barn.
Very good basketball has returned to the U.
Like it should.

Amazing.

Coming off a 9 win (3 Big 10 wins) season to have 18 wins (8 in the Big 10) with 2 games to go is AMAZING. Just think what we'll be able to do when we infuse all the upcoming talent into this squad.

Exciting times.
Post #: 75
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Golden Gophers >> RE: NCAA Basketball Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode