Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 10:47:30 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

Another thing of note in WR talk...

In 2018 Thielen had like 5 100 yard games to start the season... Then Diggs got pissy and hurt and missed some games and Thielen's game dropped severly. Extreme drop in production where he had like only one more 100 yard game that season.

Without Diggs both the running game and production of our ONLY GOOD WR Thielen will be changed dramaticly.

This is true and that is why I say getting at least one more good WR is as important as improving the OL. It has to be done.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 301
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 10:59:52 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs' new QB, is the worst deep passer in the NFL. He hit 15 of 59 attempts last season. 25.4%

(QB Datamine on Twitter)

With Diggs that percentage will increase.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 302
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 11:01:32 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

In 2018 Thielen had like 5 100 yard games to start the season... Then Diggs got pissy and hurt and missed some games and Thielen's game dropped severly. Extreme drop in production where he had like only one more 100 yard game that season.

Without Diggs both the running game and production of our ONLY GOOD WR Thielen will be changed dramaticly.

This is true and that is why I say getting at least one more good WR is as important as improving the OL. It has to be done.

We will get it done.

Kubiak had two WRs with over 1100 yards when Denver won the SB.
Post #: 303
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 11:17:26 AM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

We will get it done.

Take a deeper dive into the stat lines for WR game that year... they were like 29th in TDs.

Honestly it was their number one ranked Defense that got it done coupled with broken down but very smart on field general Manning willing them to wins after getting healthy at end of season and replacing Brock Oswieler.

I guess you could say if Kubiaks system made Brock look competent that we are in ok shape, but that discounts our offensive line woes as well as huge hole at WR.

And our D has even larger holes that will be held togther with duct tape and bailing wire this year... we are not the Denver D that allwed Kubiak to play his game on O.
Post #: 304
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 11:29:17 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We will get it done.

Take a deeper dive into the stat lines for WR game that year... they were like 29th in TDs.

Honestly it was their number one ranked Defense that got it done coupled with broken down but very smart on field general Manning willing them to wins after getting healthy at end of season and replacing Brock Oswieler.

I guess you could say if Kubiaks system made Brock look competent that we are in ok shape, but that discounts our offensive line woes as well as huge hole at WR.

And our D has even larger holes that will be held togther with duct tape and bailing wire this year... we are not the Denver D that allwed Kubiak to play his game on O.

I'll deep dive our roster when it gets to 90 players and then see if it is doom and gloom.
Post #: 305
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 11:31:19 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We will get it done.

?? Odin, Wilson, Hunter, Kendricks, Barr, Smith, Harris? No talent and bailing wire? We haven't even reached the end of the first wave of FA.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 306
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 11:31:43 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

Josh Allen, Stefon Diggs' new QB, is the worst deep passer in the NFL. He hit 15 of 59 attempts last season. 25.4%

(QB Datamine on Twitter)

That may explain why the paid such a generous price to get him.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 307
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 11:36:33 AM   
joejitsu

quote:

quote:

quote:

(QB Datamine on Twitter)

One thing about allen is that he can sling the heck out of the ball. Diggs will be running 9 routes until he passes out!
Post #: 308
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 11:38:27 AM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We will get it done.

?? Odin, Wilson, Hunter, Kendricks, Barr, Smith, Harris? No talent and bailing wire? We haven't even reached the end of the first wave of FA.

NEVER SAID NO TALENT

But we have serious holes and more so are NOT the D the Denver Broncos had in Kubiaks SB win... That was my point, we are not the D that we fielded just a few years ago at our peak and we will be FAR FAR from what Phillips and the Broncos put on field in 2015 to support Manning and the Kubiak run offensive schemes.

Cant myself wait to see what mastermind Zimmer does with his young and less star filled D this year... my guess either Dom Capers will be a magician or a scapegoat in all...
Post #: 309
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 11:41:05 AM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We will get it done.

NEVER SAID NO TALENT

But we have serious holes and more so are NOT the D the Denver Broncos had in Kubiaks SB win... That was my point, we are not the D that we fielded just a few years ago at our peak and we will be FAR FAR from what Phillips and the Broncos put on field in 2015 to support Manning and the Kubiak run offensive schemes.

Cant myself wait to see what mastermind Zimmer does with his young and less star filled D this year... my guess either Dom Capers will be a magician or a scapegoat in all...

I have seen Zimmer get the DB playing top notch with 3 safeties and Sendejo playing Slot Corner. I am grateful Rhodes is gone actually.....I think Zimmer can get better production out of Boyd or bailing wire.

Smith, Kendricks, Hunter are all Pro Bowlers.....would you have rather kept Rhodes and Joseph at their prices.....Griffen might be back too.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 3/18/2020 11:42:28 AM >

Post #: 310
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 11:56:14 AM   
Ragnarök

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We will get it done.

NEVER SAID NO TALENT

I have seen Zimmer get the DB playing top notch with 3 safeties and Sendejo playing Slot Corner. I am grateful Rhodes is gone actually.....I think Zimmer can get better production out of Boyd or bailing wire.

Smith, Kendricks, Hunter are all Pro Bowlers.....would you have rather kept Rhodes and Joseph at their prices.....Griffen might be back too.

Wanted no part of Rhodes, Joseph or Griffen... and Harris is all but gone, just trade bait to tag him temp.

All this talk of what Zimmer has done with smoke and mirrors and what Kubiak did in Denver is wishful thinking...

Without the horses the plow doesnt get pulled, the field goes unfurled and there are no crops. Doesnt matter how smart the farmer is or how he had huge yeilds previous years.

How can we forget Denny Green and his D trotting out a 5'9 Robert Tate and company... YOU MUST HAVE THE HORSES...

In todays game two of the most important positions that put points on board or take them off are WR and DB... We are woefully lacking at both and slammed up against cap to plug in capable alternatives. We will hope for thorobreds from the draft, but know Spiels pedigree in eval.

But hey, WE HAVE KIRK COUSINS locked up for couple more years to push a bunch more dead cap money into our future...
Post #: 311
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 12:02:40 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We will get it done.

NEVER SAID NO TALENT

Wanted no part of Rhodes, Joseph or Griffen... and Harris is all but gone, just trade bait to tag him temp.

All this talk of what Zimmer has done with smoke and mirrors and what Kubiak did in Denver is wishful thinking...

Without the horses the plow doesnt get pulled, the field goes unfurled and there are no crops. Doesnt matter how smart the farmer is or how he had huge yeilds previous years.

How can we forget Denny Green and his D trotting out a 5'9 Robert Tate and company... YOU MUST HAVE THE HORSES...

In todays game two of the most important positions that put points on board or take them off are WR and DB... We are woefully lacking at both and slammed up against cap to plug in capable alternatives. We will hope for thorobreds from the draft, but know Spiels pedigree in eval.

But hey, WE HAVE KIRK COUSINS locked up for couple more years to push a bunch more dead cap money into our future...

With the right driver, a donkey can do just as good a job.
Post #: 312
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 12:03:43 PM   
Phil Riewer

Again....we have horses on Def. Smith, Kendricks, Barr, and Hunter. Some young guys in Wilson, Odin, and Watts are still around. Harris isn't gone yet and if so we have more FA money.

Lots of talent on both sides that you fail to mention. Even SF is retooling on Defense (no Buckner).

Post #: 313
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 12:07:13 PM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Have to wonder how much more gas Theilen has in the tank

I think we definitely need an explosive guy across from him. You know like Diggs...

Mims!
Post #: 314
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 12:07:50 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: joejitsu

quote:

quote:

quote:

(QB Datamine on Twitter)

One thing about allen is that he can sling the heck out of the ball. Diggs will be running 9 routes until he passes out!

Josh Freeman could sling the ball.
Post #: 315
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 12:23:39 PM   
Dana Turner

Well Ragnarok, stay tuned because it is only a short time when there will be ten or twelve $30 million dollar QB's in the league and that is just the way it goes. Cousins is a top ten QB in this league, actually probably somewhere around top 6 or 7, but that's semantics, point is, the Vikings have a good QB and need to sure up the offensive line to make this offensive scheme be a viable weapon. Yes or should I say YES, to emphasize the importance, Diggs being gone creates a need. I'm pretty sure all of our football personnel realize what kind of talent they lost in Diggs, but that guy wanted out of Minnesota and they got a good haul for the former 5th rounder. He's gone, and there needs to be a replacement at that spot, I'm sure it will happen, but I doubt this guy will be better than Diggs. Lets just hope he's good, to very good, that's all that will be required in this scheme.

As for our defense, it was built for a run three years ago. In case we missed it, the Vikings were supposed to win it all sometime during the past three years but didn't get it done. Someone posted that the Vikings defense had like 8 players making over $10 million, some ridiculous stat like that and still no championship. Hmmm, wonder whats missing!?!

We have seen teams win the SB with defense, last year we saw a team do it with offense, it's very rare in the NFL for a team to have a top offense and a top defense, maybe top ten for both, but not elite for both. It looks to me like the Vikings are trying to balance this out a little bit since their vaunted defense is getting long in the tooth and didn't bring the trophy home. This team is going to try to contend on both sides of the ball, but isn't going to pound any of the really good teams. I'm hoping this is Zimmers last season as head coach of the Vikings. He's a solid coach, just not in touch with today's 7 on 7 NFL. All of the coaching staff we have are solid coaches, but most of them have seen their era of the game go by.

(P.S. I am also one of those guys that has seen his favorite NFL era go by. Not loving it, just is what it is.)
Post #: 316
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 12:52:28 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

Well Ragnarok, stay tuned because it is only a short time when there will be ten or twelve $30 million dollar QB's in the league and that is just the way it goes. Cousins is a top ten QB in this league, actually probably somewhere around top 6 or 7, but that's semantics, point is, the Vikings have a good QB and need to sure up the offensive line to make this offensive scheme be a viable weapon. Yes or should I say YES, to emphasize the importance, Diggs being gone creates a need. I'm pretty sure all of our football personnel realize what kind of talent they lost in Diggs, but that guy wanted out of Minnesota and they got a good haul for the former 5th rounder. He's gone, and there needs to be a replacement at that spot, I'm sure it will happen, but I doubt this guy will be better than Diggs. Lets just hope he's good, to very good, that's all that will be required in this scheme.

As for our defense, it was built for a run three years ago. In case we missed it, the Vikings were supposed to win it all sometime during the past three years but didn't get it done. Someone posted that the Vikings defense had like 8 players making over $10 million, some ridiculous stat like that and still no championship. Hmmm, wonder whats missing!?!

We have seen teams win the SB with defense, last year we saw a team do it with offense, it's very rare in the NFL for a team to have a top offense and a top defense, maybe top ten for both, but not elite for both. It looks to me like the Vikings are trying to balance this out a little bit since their vaunted defense is getting long in the tooth and didn't bring the trophy home. This team is going to try to contend on both sides of the ball, but isn't going to pound any of the really good teams. I'm hoping this is Zimmers last season as head coach of the Vikings. He's a solid coach, just not in touch with today's 7 on 7 NFL. All of the coaching staff we have are solid coaches, but most of them have seen their era of the game go by.

(P.S. I am also one of those guys that has seen his favorite NFL era go by. Not loving it, just is what it is.)

Always agree with your solid points Dana... Not a fan of Kirk and where it has lead us in all, but is what we have at moment. One good point I see is the NO TRADE clause has been dropped making him movable to the next staff should there be turnover with Zimmer and company after 2020. Totally understand the cost of an upper tier QB in todays NFL, and totally fine with Diggs leaving as he just was a distraction for several years now we masked and put up with. There will be alternatives and we will plug in best players our GM sees fit to add that cap and draft allow.

Big season for both GM and HC, but see Zimmer as under far much more scrutiny.

Biggest contention to me is why cant we win within our division. The teams that we play twice a year are beating us down (and with young rookie HC's btw)... Getting shut out in division by both Pack and Bears is no formula for going anywhere...
Post #: 317
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 12:54:58 PM   
Ragnarök

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/18/jags-trade-nick-foles-to-bears/

There is Trubisky's new competition at QB, though at the price they pay in contract they assume he is likely already figured in as starter?

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 3/18/2020 12:57:07 PM >
Post #: 318
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 1:06:04 PM   
Ragnarök

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/03/18/linval-joseph-agrees-to-deal-with-chargers/

Mike Garafolo of NFL Media reports that Joseph has agreed to a deal with the Chargers. It’s a two-year pact worth $17 million with another $2 million available to Joseph via incentives.
Post #: 319
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 1:11:39 PM   
ratoppenheimer

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
From July 2017-March 2019, the Vikings’ ambitious plan to keep their own players involved contracts for Everson Griffen, Xavier Rhodes, Linval Joseph, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter, Stefon Diggs and Anthony Barr. At the moment, three of those seven players are on the roster.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 320
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 1:24:07 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

From July 2017-March 2019, the Vikings’ ambitious plan to keep their own players involved contracts for Everson Griffen, Xavier Rhodes, Linval Joseph, Eric Kendricks, Danielle Hunter, Stefon Diggs and Anthony Barr. At the moment, three of those seven players are on the roster.

Could have almost scratched Barr as well, maybe really should have with his now backloaded cap hits and real lack of use in percieved strengths. As well as will add Rudy, though he may be huge piece of what we do on offense now this year.

Amazing how quickly rosters can change and key pieces become too expensive or fall off map in production and become expendable in just couple years...

Ever more important to get high yields on players we did invest in like Rudy and Barr, hoping Capers has some input on using Barr more in a hybrid 3-4 at times...

There is talent on this team just up to Spiels to find some players to fill holes and Zimm and company to get most out of what we are left with... 9 and 7 feels very attainable...

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 3/18/2020 1:25:12 PM >
Post #: 321
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 1:25:26 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

Yep, that would be that window we all talk about. Vikings went all in with the defense and tried to win it that way, it's been done before, just didn't happen for us.

Why we don't win in our division is that our defense has tendencies that really never change. They get exploited and our weaknesses get exposed, it happens a lot in the NFL, especially against the top coaches in the league, these guys are smart.
Post #: 322
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 1:33:34 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

Have to wonder how much more gas Theilen has in the tank

I think we definitely need an explosive guy across from him. You know like Diggs...

Mims!

Jerry Jeudy!

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 323
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 1:37:31 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We will get it done.

NEVER SAID NO TALENT

Rags a lot of what you say is true. If we need to rebuild we are going to be in great shape to do so. However, with the right signings and drafting we might have another playoff run in us. The question is do we go all in on the rebuild or try to make one more run.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 324
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/18/2020 1:40:44 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Could have almost scratched Barr as well, maybe really should have with his now backloaded cap hits and real lack of use in percieved strengths. As well as will add Rudy, though he may be huge piece of what we do on offense now this year.

Amazing how quickly rosters can change and key pieces become too expensive or fall off map in production and become expendable in just couple years...

Ever more important to get high yields on players we did invest in like Rudy and Barr, hoping Capers has some input on using Barr more in a hybrid 3-4 at times...

There is talent on this team just up to Spiels to find some players to fill holes and Zimm and company to get most out of what we are left with... 9 and 7 feels very attainable...

With Spielman in "short timer " mode he keeps kicking the money out. Barr and Cousins are both going to be due overs 30% of the cap between the two of them at the back end of their deals.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 325
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode