Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 9:45:54 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: osure

I am just trying to figure out the Vikings plan. Do you think he feels like he gets more out of a young defense than the older guys with big contracts? I feel like the defense was better the first two yrs he got here or is it that the nfll knows how to defeat Zimmers defense

When Zimmer says a CB is not lined up properly because he is inches from where he is supposed to be, it smacks of a robotic scheme. Run that scheme more than a few games, let alone years, and defensive coordinators will pick it apart.

Then the opposition found an easier way to destroy the defense, just run it up the gut. Almost literally shoving the ball down the D's throat.

Anyway, it's not young vs. old, but rather the cap problems. Waynes and Mac are not old.
Post #: 401
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 10:05:47 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Speculation on why the Vikings parted with Kline.

https://youtu.be/pK3JqxSI6fk

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 402
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 10:08:38 AM   
samwell711r

When Zimmer says a CB is not lined up properly because he is inches from where he is supposed to be, it smacks of a robotic scheme. Run that scheme more than a few games, let alone years, and defensive coordinators will pick it apart.

Then the opposition found an easier way to destroy the defense, just run it up the gut. Almost literally shoving the ball down the D's throat.

I live up here in New England. Players for the Patriots past and present who have been interviewed, reported that Bill Belicheck is maniacally meticulous. He sets his formations and if you are supposed to be 3 yards and seven inches off to one side of the formation, then that's where you better be. And he drills this relentlessly, so robotic maybe, but a successful strategy nevertheless.

Save us O Lord from the fury of the Norsemen
Post #: 403
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 10:52:02 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Cutting Kline because the Vikings think Samia can start would make sense if the team could save big on the cap, but that's not the case. Now, instead of having a question mark at one o-line position (LG), we have questions at both guard positions. When stabilizing the o-line is your number one priority (yet, again) this seems like a major mistake.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 404
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 10:52:33 AM   
thebigo

d
Post #: 405
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 11:11:57 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Is pierce good enough to do that or could we pick up someone like that in the draft?

Pierce is supposed to be extremely good. However, might have problems staying in shape.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 406
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 11:13:29 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

Cutting Kline because the Vikings think Samia can start would make sense if the team could save big on the cap, but that's not the case. Now, instead of having a question mark at one o-line position (LG), we have questions at both guard positions. When stabilizing the o-line is your number one priority (yet, again) this seems like a major mistake.

All I can figure out is that Klein must have really pissed somebody off.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 407
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 11:13:47 AM   
thebigo

quote:

I am just trying to figure out the Vikings plan. Do you think he feels like he gets more out of a young defense than the older guys with big contracts? I feel like the defense was better the first two yrs he got here or is it that the nfll knows how to defeat Zimmers defense

Since 2016 Zimmer's defenses have been #6, #1, #9, and #5 in scoring defense. Without doing the math, that might well be the best in the league over that 4 year span. So, I guess my question to you would be what gives you the impression that "the nfl knows how to defeat Zimmers defense"?
Post #: 408
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 11:14:38 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Since 2016 Zimmer's defenses have been #6, #1, #9, and #5 in scoring defense. Without doing the math, that might well be the best in the league over that 4 year span. So, I guess my question to you would be what gives you the impression that "the nfl knows how to defeat Zimmers defense"?

Well stated.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 409
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 11:52:44 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

It would have been bett to let them compete and then decide. I agree.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 410
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 12:32:31 PM   
Ragnarök

Exodus continues, like rats from an sinking ship...

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/browns_to_sign_s_andrew_sendejo_to_one_year_deal/s1_14819_31607819
Post #: 411
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 12:39:33 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

Exodus continues, like rats from an sinking ship...

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/browns_to_sign_s_andrew_sendejo_to_one_year_deal/s1_14819_31607819

It's funny how things change in a couple of months.

75% of these guys that have left were getting roasted in Game Day Threads.
Post #: 412
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 12:39:47 PM   
Ragnarök

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/case_keenum_gets_three_year_18_million_contract_from_browns/s1_127_31577951
Post #: 413
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 12:40:44 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/case_keenum_gets_three_year_18_million_contract_from_browns/s1_127_31577951

No more free passes for Mayfield.
Post #: 414
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 12:58:11 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Should be interesting with Stefanski being Keenums QB coach in 2017...

Would suck to see the Browns be yet another team to win a SB with our cast off coaching and QBs...
Post #: 415
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 1:16:14 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Should be interesting with Stefanski being Keenums QB coach in 2017...

Would suck to see the Browns be yet another team to win a SB with our cast off coaching and QBs...

Keeping Brad Johnson would have been tough the way RC played in 98.
Post #: 416
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 1:16:29 PM   
Ragnarök

https://thevikingage.com/2020/03/20/todd-gurley-release-bad-minnesota-vikings-cook/

Good points on why NOT to pay Cook now...
Post #: 417
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 1:26:23 PM   
Ragnarök

THANK YOU EVERSON!!

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/3/20/21188555/everson-griffen-not-returning-minnesota-vikings

When I came to Minnesota as a fourth-round pick out of USC, I had no idea how much my life would change over the next 10 years. I realized my dream of playing in the NFL, went to four Pro Bowls and came within one game of playing in the Super Bowl in front of the best fans in the country. More importantly, I became a husband, a dad, and met teammates who became brothers for life. I also stumbled a few times on my journey and could not be more grateful for the unconditional support and love I received from SKOL Nation. While it is with a heavy heart that I say goodbye, I leave Minnesota in the best physical and mental shape I have ever been and have many Pro Bowl seasons to come! Wherever my next stop is, I will always be grateful to and cheering for the Vikings. Thank you all for the love, support and memories.

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 3/20/2020 1:29:47 PM >
Post #: 418
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 1:36:20 PM   
Ragnarök

With Sendejo now gone to Browns are we forced to try and sign/ extend Harris?

#Vikings secondary 2019 snap counts

1. Smith 1094
2. Harris 1033 (Tag/Likely getting traded?)
3. Rhodes 908 (Gone)
4. Waynes 888 (Gone)
5. Alexander 534 (Gone)
6. Hughes 500
7. Kearse 271 (Gone)
8. Sendejo 204 (Gone)
9. Hill 168
10. Boyd 99
Post #: 419
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 1:41:19 PM   
quote:

https://thevikingage.com/2020/03/20/todd-gurley-release-bad-minnesota-vikings-cook/

Yeah let’s continue to get rid of our best players...Yipee!!!

Cook came back from his ACL and returned to 100%. Gurley never truly has recovered from his, and he now has a degenerative condition that ain’t coming back.

Dalvin is just scratching the service on his skill set, and was one of the main reasons we went as far as we did.

He and Mattison are the best RB combo in Football..
  Post #: 420
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 1:53:52 PM   
Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

Cook came back from his ACL and returned to 100%. Gurley never truly has recovered from his, and he now has a degenerative condition that ain’t coming back.

Dalvin is just scratching the service on his skill set, and was one of the main reasons we went as far as we did.

Thought the article was more about not paying Cook a bloated fat contract that we would regret like Rams did with Gurley pre injury, leaving them boxed in with huge dead cap hit now...

Is true that RB position has come way down in overall value per cap dollar for current contracts and the players signed just a couple years ago to huge contracts are albatross' to their teams.

So not saying to let Cook go, just dont make that mistake and give some huge franchise player deal...

< Message edited by Ragnarök -- 3/20/2020 1:58:03 PM >
Post #: 421
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 1:53:54 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

I hear you and agree Kurt.
That said I don't want to pay him too much and I'm not sure what too much is.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 422
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 2:21:57 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

The Cowboys have a nice duo, too. Ezekial Elliot and Tony Pollard. Pollard averaged over 5 yards per carry last year. Of course their offensive line is better. It would be an interesting question about which combo would be better.

Post #: 423
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 3:09:35 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

quote:

Thought the article was more about not paying Cook a bloated fat contract that we would regret like Rams did with Gurley pre injury, leaving them boxed in with huge dead cap hit now...

Is true that RB position has come way down in overall value per cap dollar for current contracts and the players signed just a couple years ago to huge contracts are albatross' to their teams.

So not saying to let Cook go, just dont make that mistake and give some huge franchise player deal...

Give him a big deal but structure it so it doesn't screw you in the salary cap department if you need to dump him later.

If you pay him and he lives up to it. the money was worth it. If he doesn't you can get rid of him without a debilitating cap hit.

A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it's not open. Frank Zappa
Post #: 424
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 5:06:39 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

THANK YOU EVERSON!!

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/3/20/21188555/everson-griffen-not-returning-minnesota-vikings

When I came to Minnesota as a fourth-round pick out of USC, I had no idea how much my life would change over the next 10 years. I realized my dream of playing in the NFL, went to four Pro Bowls and came within one game of playing in the Super Bowl in front of the best fans in the country. More importantly, I became a husband, a dad, and met teammates who became brothers for life. I also stumbled a few times on my journey and could not be more grateful for the unconditional support and love I received from SKOL Nation. While it is with a heavy heart that I say goodbye, I leave Minnesota in the best physical and mental shape I have ever been and have many Pro Bowl seasons to come! Wherever my next stop is, I will always be grateful to and cheering for the Vikings. Thank you all for the love, support and memories.

Thank you Griff, class act right to the end! God bless and safe journeys to wherever you end up. You will be missed!
Post #: 425
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode