Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 5:19:42 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

https://thevikingage.com/2020/03/20/todd-gurley-release-bad-minnesota-vikings-cook/

Good points on why NOT to pay Cook now...

Yeah let’s continue to get rid of our best players...Yipee!!!

Cook came back from his ACL and returned to 100%. Gurley never truly has recovered from his, and he now has a degenerative condition that ain’t coming back.

Dalvin is just scratching the service on his skill set, and was one of the main reasons we went as far as we did.

He and Mattison are the best RB combo in Football..

Thought the article was more about not paying Cook a bloated fat contract that we would regret like Rams did with Gurley pre injury, leaving them boxed in with huge dead cap hit now...

Is true that RB position has come way down in overall value per cap dollar for current contracts and the players signed just a couple years ago to huge contracts are albatross' to their teams.

So not saying to let Cook go, just dont make that mistake and give some huge franchise player deal...

Give him a big deal but structure it so it doesn't screw you in the salary cap department if you need to dump him later.

If you pay him and he lives up to it. the money was worth it. If he doesn't you can get rid of him without a debilitating cap hit.

Its a tough business, but you simply can't pay a NFL RB $10 million a year, there are way too many of them that can plug in to a system like ours and preform at a suitable level. We don't feature a running back in our offense, we feature the run. Is Cook better than Mattison, sure, but how much. History is full of guys who's names I don't even remember, that had thousand yard seasons. I'd love to keep Cook and if he would sign a deal for 8 Million a year for the next five years I'd do it, but reality is, he won't. His agent will demand over $60 million for the next four year and it's simply not worth the money. That's reality in the RB world and it's been proven way too many times to ignore it. Draft a guy in the fourth to learn the ropes and next year he backs up Mattison, I'm afraid that's the coming reality for RB's in the NFL.
Post #: 426
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 5:35:40 PM   
Bill Jandro

We have far too many holes presently to be even consider ext Cook at this time

Our defense has been pretty much gutted.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 427
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 6:13:11 PM   
Ragnarök

Nice piece here on our one real free agent grab...

https://climbingthepocket.com/2020/03/20/michael-pierce-purple-people-eater/
Post #: 428
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 7:48:42 PM   
Dana Turner

quote:

Nice piece here on our one real free agent grab...

https://climbingthepocket.com/2020/03/20/michael-pierce-purple-people-eater/

Just a very solid pickup!
Post #: 429
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 11:04:39 PM   
David F.

I can't open the article because I've exceeded my limit but I read that Danielle Hunter has redone his deal.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 430
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 11:17:22 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dana Turner

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

https://thevikingage.com/2020/03/20/todd-gurley-release-bad-minnesota-vikings-cook/

Cook came back from his ACL and returned to 100%. Gurley never truly has recovered from his, and he now has a degenerative condition that ain’t coming back.

Dalvin is just scratching the service on his skill set, and was one of the main reasons we went as far as we did.

Thought the article was more about not paying Cook a bloated fat contract that we would regret like Rams did with Gurley pre injury, leaving them boxed in with huge dead cap hit now...

Is true that RB position has come way down in overall value per cap dollar for current contracts and the players signed just a couple years ago to huge contracts are albatross' to their teams.

So not saying to let Cook go, just dont make that mistake and give some huge franchise player deal...

Give him a big deal but structure it so it doesn't screw you in the salary cap department if you need to dump him later.

If you pay him and he lives up to it. the money was worth it. If he doesn't you can get rid of him without a debilitating cap hit.

Its a tough business, but you simply can't pay a NFL RB $10 million a year, there are way too many of them that can plug in to a system like ours and preform at a suitable level. We don't feature a running back in our offense, we feature the run. Is Cook better than Mattison, sure, but how much. History is full of guys who's names I don't even remember, that had thousand yard seasons. I'd love to keep Cook and if he would sign a deal for 8 Million a year for the next five years I'd do it, but reality is, he won't. His agent will demand over $60 million for the next four year and it's simply not worth the money. That's reality in the RB world and it's been proven way too many times to ignore it. Draft a guy in the fourth to learn the ropes and next year he backs up Mattison, I'm afraid that's the coming reality for RB's in the NFL.

For the most part, I agree.

Williams, Michel, Blount, Hillman, Lynch, Rice, Bradshaw, Jackson and Thomas all have a ring, while being the feature RB. (Fun little game, do you know all of their first names?)

22 years ago, a RB was Super Bowl MVP.

Having said that, we are real short on explosive players. Cook is that. I didn't think he would be. He is.

You think we're going to be okay without explosive skill position players?
Post #: 431
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 11:39:16 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Williams, Michel, Blount, Hillman, Lynch, Rice, Bradshaw, Jackson and Thomas all have a ring, while being the feature RB. (Fun little game, do you know all of their first names?)

Having said that, we are real short on explosive players. Cook is that. I didn't think he would be. He is.

We've created our own problem then. It sucks because we were just down this road not too long ago giving AD $12 million, $13 million, good lord $15 million a season. I think if anything, the lesson here is don't draft RBs high. They'll either fail to meet expectations or perform so damn well that you can't afford to keep them.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 432
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/20/2020 11:44:05 PM   
Ragnarök

https://purpleptsd.com/the-death-of-a-bromance-diggs-thielen-exchange-goodbyes-on-social-media/

Goodbye Diggsy...
Post #: 433
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 12:12:10 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

We've created our own problem then. It sucks because we were just down this road not too long ago giving AD $12 million, $13 million, good lord $15 million a season. I think if anything, the lesson here is don't draft RBs high. They'll either fail to meet expectations or perform so damn well that you can't afford to keep them.

When it became clear that AD was not a three down back (giving very little to nothing in the passing game) I would agree with Pete, and yourself.

Gotta be self evident Cook does it all. Not saying we should make him the highest paid player in the league, but he still has a pretty new set of tires on him, and he certainly makes us a better team in multiple aspects of the offense, and as Pete said, we’re low on playmakers..Completely agree
  Post #: 434
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 1:18:36 AM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

When it became clear that AD was not a three down back (giving very little to nothing in the passing game) I would agree with Pete, and yourself.

Gotta be self evident Cook does it all. Not saying we should make him the highest paid player in the league, but he still has a pretty new set of tires on him, and he certainly makes us a better team in multiple aspects of the offense, and as Pete said, we’re low on playmakers..Completely agree

What makes him great is what also makes him expendable. No fear, he takes and delivers serious contact every time he touches the ball.. He's a real deal warrior. Unfortunately, his style of play isn't business-smart in today's NFL.

< Message edited by JT2 -- 3/21/2020 1:19:39 AM >
Post #: 435
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 5:53:04 AM   
Bill Johanesen

A couple of years ago when all the big-dollar contracts were being signed, the likely odd man out mentioned the most was Waynes. Then Hughes was drafted so there looked to be some protection there.

Since then, Harris came out of nowhere which meant another big salary. Joseph slipped, which is understandable as he is no spring chicken. And while Rhodes was holding his hammy even back then, few to nobody saw him falling off a cliff. We saved cap releasing them, but 10 million here or there goes fast.

Some of the big contracts were front loaded, which helped today's situation from being a disaster. But, there might be some contracts with higher salaries in the latter years.

So here we are at least having some good draft assets. We can't neglect OL for the latest flavor of the day though. I'm good with a combo of OL & CB in the first, even with some trading down. WR in the second. CB/DL next.
Post #: 436
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 5:55:07 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

What makes him great is what also makes him expendable. No fear, he takes and delivers serious contact every time he touches the ball.. He's a real deal warrior. Unfortunately, his style of play isn't business-smart in today's NFL.

You describe Mattison to a tee.
Post #: 437
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 7:23:12 AM   
Ragnarök

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/3/20/21189096/danielle-hunter-minnesota-vikings-renegotiate-contract
Post #: 438
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 8:01:09 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/3/20/21189096/danielle-hunter-minnesota-vikings-renegotiate-contract

$7.8m in cap space created....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 439
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 8:21:24 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

So we are up to something. Rick can't stay out of the limelight for too long.
Post #: 440
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 8:22:58 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

Wow. Is it possible Everson Griffen can yet return? Or do you think the Vikings have their eye on a guard or a CB?

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 441
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 8:28:27 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Good news: We are making room for a OL, WR or CB.

Bad news: Making room to extend Cook.
Post #: 442
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 8:28:38 AM   
Bill Johanesen

We're rich!!
Post #: 443
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 8:29:09 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

Wow. Is it possible Everson Griffen can yet return? Or do you think the Vikings have their eye on a guard or a CB?

Clowney
Post #: 444
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 8:30:08 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

7.8 gets you a middling type. Someone who can battle for a spot with the rookies and lower depth guys.
Post #: 445
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 8:34:08 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

7.8 gets you a middling type. Someone who can battle for a spot with the rookies and lower depth guys.

Not if you back load it. Big signing bonus and a minimum base salary 1st year can get you a low cap number on a big deal.
Post #: 446
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 9:18:27 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Not if you back load it. Big signing bonus and a minimum base salary 1st year can get you a low cap number on a big deal.

Plus by my calculation, and that could be off, the Vikings had close to 3 mill outside of the money for the draft so now the figure is closer to 10 mill. Then if the Vikings figure out what to do with Reiff or Harris there could even be more.

Wouldn't it be awesome to have Clowney in Purple? I mean, he is awesome. (but expensive- I'm not sure I would do it)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 447
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 9:23:56 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Plus by my calculation, and that could be off, the Vikings had close to 3 mill outside of the money for the draft so now the figure is closer to 10 mill. Then if the Vikings figure out what to do with Reiff or Harris there could even be more.

Wouldn't it be awesome to have Clowney in Purple? I mean, he is awesome. (but expensive- I'm not sure I would do it)

I wouldn't do it. Use FA money on Oline.

You could get a poor man's Clowney with LSU's Chaisson.
Post #: 448
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 9:30:37 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

https://overthecap.com/draft/

We need at least $13+ million to sign all rookies (our $10.5 plus at least the extra first and third). Subtract those who don't make the team and the players the rookies replace. Then there is the top 51....

No idea what your "the Vikings had close to 3 mill outside of the money for the draft so now the figure is closer to 10 mill" means or how it was arrived at.
Post #: 449
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 9:36:23 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

https://overthecap.com/draft/

We need at least $13+ million to sign all rookies (our $10.5 plus at least the extra first and third). Subtract those who don't make the team and the players the rookies replace. Then there is the top 51....

No idea what your "the Vikings had close to 3 mill outside of the money for the draft so now the figure is closer to 10 mill" means or how it was arrived at.

You are right and I was wrong. I must have heard it wrong.

Also, the more I think about it the more I don't like the idea of signing Clowney. I like Odenigbo. I think he will be a very good starter for a lot less money. We certainly could use another backup for him, though.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/minnesota-vikings/cap/

Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  16 17 [18] 19 20   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode