Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 9:40:08 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/3/20/21189096/danielle-hunter-minnesota-vikings-renegotiate-contract

$7.8m in cap space created....

Good news: We are making room for a OL, WR or CB.

Bad news: Making room to extend Cook.

7.8 gets you a middling type. Someone who can battle for a spot with the rookies and lower depth guys.

Not if you back load it. Big signing bonus and a minimum base salary 1st year can get you a low cap number on a big deal.

Plus by my calculation, and that could be off, the Vikings had close to 3 mill outside of the money for the draft so now the figure is closer to 10 mill. Then if the Vikings figure out what to do with Reiff or Harris there could even be more.

Wouldn't it be awesome to have Clowney in Purple? I mean, he is awesome. (but expensive- I'm not sure I would do it)

https://overthecap.com/draft/

We need at least $13+ million to sign all rookies (our $10.5 plus at least the extra first and third). Subtract those who don't make the team and the players the rookies replace. Then there is the top 51....

No idea what your "the Vikings had close to 3 mill outside of the money for the draft so now the figure is closer to 10 mill" means or how it was arrived at.

Wouldn't you think that just the 1st through maybe the 4th rounders make the Top 51?
Post #: 451
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 10:06:18 AM   
Pager

Great point Mark. I believe it ends up being around 3-5M (rookies). No way it's going to be 13M.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 452
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 10:10:43 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ragnarök

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/3/20/21189096/danielle-hunter-minnesota-vikings-renegotiate-contract

$7.8m in cap space created....

Good news: We are making room for a OL, WR or CB.

Bad news: Making room to extend Cook.

7.8 gets you a middling type. Someone who can battle for a spot with the rookies and lower depth guys.

Not if you back load it. Big signing bonus and a minimum base salary 1st year can get you a low cap number on a big deal.

Plus by my calculation, and that could be off, the Vikings had close to 3 mill outside of the money for the draft so now the figure is closer to 10 mill. Then if the Vikings figure out what to do with Reiff or Harris there could even be more.

Wouldn't it be awesome to have Clowney in Purple? I mean, he is awesome. (but expensive- I'm not sure I would do it)

https://overthecap.com/draft/

We need at least $13+ million to sign all rookies (our $10.5 plus at least the extra first and third). Subtract those who don't make the team and the players the rookies replace. Then there is the top 51....

No idea what your "the Vikings had close to 3 mill outside of the money for the draft so now the figure is closer to 10 mill" means or how it was arrived at.

Wouldn't you think that just the 1st through maybe the 4th rounders make the Top 51?

The more rookies that make the team, more bigger money players are displaced, I'm guessing that would result in a net plus for us, salary cap wise.
Post #: 453
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 10:12:45 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

Great point Mark. I believe it ends up being around 3-5M (rookies). No way it's going to be 13M.

Wouldn't rounds 1-4 make up like 90%+ of the dollars allotted to the rookie pool?
Post #: 454
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 11:33:04 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

Wouldn't rounds 1-4 make up like 90%+ of the dollars allotted to the rookie pool?

I think in our case it would be at least 90% so the plus could move it up to 95%.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 455
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 11:42:12 AM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

As stated, and written in the link, the $13 mil is for outlay to all rookies if they made the team. As stated, some won't, the cap of players they replace has to be subtracted out, and then you look at the 51 (which is speculation at this point).

With the extra first and third, the $ for rookies will be larger than normal.
Post #: 456
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 11:48:29 AM   
Bill Johanesen

If we count carefully and project what slots will make the team and who will be out, we may be able to conjure up a few million. Yey us!

It has to be a comedian's line: You know you are in cap hell when you are discussing the impact 5th-7th rounders will have on your cap.
Post #: 457
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 11:49:19 AM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

As stated, and written in the link, the $13 mil is for outlay to all rookies if they made the team. As stated, some won't, the cap of players they replace has to be subtracted out, and then you look at the 51 (which is speculation at this point).

Last year's came in about 3M against the cap. The link is wrong. We had a higher draft pick last year but an extra first this year.

Post #: 458
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 11:52:00 AM   
ratoppenheimer

less than we thought....

Field Yates@FieldYates
The Vikings converted $8M of DE Danielle Hunter’s base salary into a signing bonus, creating $6M of 2020 salary cap, per source. Some flexibility for Minnesota to accommodate their free agent signings.

Ben Goessling@GoesslingStrib
The Vikings have standard language in their player contracts -- Hunter's included -- that give them "the right, but not the obligation, to convert any portion of Player's Paragraph 5 salary into signing bonus" with only an email or a phone call to the player or his agent.

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 459
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 11:53:38 AM   
Pager

At various points these cap websites will list all 90 players on the roster, and various other contract info. They are not always accurate in real time.

For instance they might be including signing bonus. Which is spread out over the 4yrs - it's why Treadwell had a cap hit in the last year of his rookie contract.

< Message edited by Pager -- 3/21/2020 11:57:36 AM >

Post #: 460
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 11:56:20 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

Last year's came in about 3M against the cap. The link is wrong. We had a higher draft pick last year but an extra first this year.

spotrac has our draft pool at $10.3m....

Post #: 461
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 12:05:39 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The #Vikings are expected to trade S Anthony Harris. A deal could be done as soon as next week. Minnesota is looking to acquire a offensive lineman in return for Harris.

(SmartChoiceFootball on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 462
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 2:00:51 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

The #Vikings are expected to trade S Anthony Harris. A deal could be done as soon as next week. Minnesota is looking to acquire a offensive lineman in return for Harris.

Cleveland signed Sendejo and Karl Joseph.

Plenty of personal foul penalties but weak in coverage.

Harris for Bitonio
Post #: 463
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 4:17:16 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Do these guys have any insight whatsoever or are they just repeating the speculation from when we first tagged him?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 464
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 4:45:10 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Do these guys have any insight whatsoever or are they just repeating the speculation from when we first tagged him?

I don't know. It's one thing to say they are "looking to" and another to say they are "going to". The speculation makes sense, though.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 465
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 8:24:14 PM   
David F.

Spotrac guesses at the 2020 rookie salary amounts at the following:

#22 - $2.3 million
#25 - $2.2 million
#58 - $900k
#89 - $740k
#105 - $728k
#132 - $684k
#205 - $551k
all subsequent picks - $551k or less so realistically only the first six picks will count against the cap (if they make the team)

That amount is just over $7.5 million. That's the number.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 466
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/21/2020 8:27:20 PM   
David F.

We have about $4 million in actual cap space right now. (Do something with Rieff!).

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 467
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/22/2020 4:00:13 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

We have about $4 million in actual cap space right now. (Do something with Rieff!).

don't you think that smith would be a better option?...he's got almost zero dead money and it's more likely that we'll keep him for a couple of more years - less waste down the road....

unless you think we should cut reiff...too many holes already - i think we have to keep him where he is and deal with it next offseason....

i watched the dallas game, condensed, last night and harris sure looked good - shame we can't figure something out to keep him....

existing near future cap space:
2021....-$50m
2022....-$120m

Post #: 468
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/22/2020 4:25:36 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

don't you think that smith would be a better option?...he's got almost zero dead money and it's more likely that we'll keep him for a couple of more years - less waste down the road....

unless you think we should cut reiff...too many holes already - i think we have to keep him where he is and deal with it next offseason....

i watched the dallas game, condensed, last night and harris sure looked good - shame we can't figure something out to keep him....

2021....-$50m
2022....-$120m

My best guess is we are keeping Harris.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 469
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/22/2020 4:26:42 AM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

2021....-$50m
2022....-$120m

You're right - Smith would be better to redo. Also if they trade Harris that frees up 11.x. Or they could give him a multi-year deal and work that 11.x down to 7 or 8.

Post #: 470
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/22/2020 5:07:19 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

quote:

2021....-$50m
2022....-$120m

You're right - Smith would be better to redo. Also if they trade Harris that frees up 11.x. Or they could give him a multi-year deal and work that 11.x down to 7 or 8.

We need to draft well - that’s going to be key over the next couple of years...I would support dropping back to an early 2nd and 3rd with both 1st rounders...I’ve lost my faith in 1st rounders - I see them as overvalued....

Post #: 471
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/22/2020 5:16:29 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

2021....-$50m
2022....-$120m

My best guess is we are keeping Harris.

If we can’t get a 2nd or two 3rds (20/21) I would extend him....

Post #: 472
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/22/2020 8:27:52 AM   
Bruce Johnson

This is interesting information.

Most Sacks per game in Vikes history:

1. Jared Allen (0.89)
2. Keith Millard (0.71)
3. Danielle Hunter (0.70)
4. John Randle (0.64)
5. Chris Doleman (0.63)
6. Lance Johnstone (0.52)
7. Everson Griffen (0.51)
8. Henry Thomas (0.47)
9. Ifeadi Odenigbo (0.44)
10. Ray Edwards (0.41)

(Dustin Baker on Twitter)

Post #: 473
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/22/2020 8:29:07 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Kyle Rudolph career TD/gm = 0.37
Zach Ertz career TD/gm = 0.33

Post #: 474
RE: General Vikes Talk - 3/22/2020 8:30:06 AM   
Bruce Johnson

In his career, Kirk Cousins averages 1.67 TDs per game.

That is more TDs/game than the following QBs:

Tony Romo
Ben Roethlisberger
Joe Montana
Dan Fouts
John Elway
Warren Moon
Steve Young
Donovan McNabb
Drew Bledsoe
Terry Bradshaw
Jim Kelly
Cam Newton
Carson Palmer

Post #: 475
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode