Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  83 84 [85] 86 87   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/15/2020 10:37:12 AM   
DeLain

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-defensive-rookie-of-the-year-candidates-chase-young-in-front

TOP DARK-HORSE CANDIDATE
Jeff Gladney, CB, Minnesota Vikings: He's not the biggest or fastest rookie cornerback, but he might be the most consistently competitive on-the-ball defender in this draft. Gladney is twitchy and instinctive. He should get on the field right away for the cornerback-needy Vikings. He will take his lumps, to be sure, but look for Gladney to make more plays on the football than most rookie starters.
Post #: 2101
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/15/2020 3:14:03 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

This talks about the virtues of the QB being under center, which the Vikings do more than most other teams.

https://twitter.com/NickOlsonNFL/status/1283034853513007105?s=09

A different type of virtue signaling.
Post #: 2102
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/15/2020 3:43:37 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I was wrong about this. ( Per Tom Pelissero)

The #Vikings and star S Anthony Harris are not expected to reach a deal prior to the franchise tag deadline, sources tell me and @TomPelissero. Franchise tag deals have been scarce, and this is another example. He’ll play on the tag that is already signed.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2103
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 5:45:19 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Our 6th round G selection may be underrated.

https://www.si.com/nfl/vikings/news/blake-brandel-vikings-oregon-state-draft-tackle

I just can't get over the #1 rated pass blocking lineman in all the land and #6 overall by PFF. I'm not a huge PFF guy, but getting their #1 in the 6th round seems like a steal to me.

it's totally weird - in today's nfl you'd think he'd be a 1st round pick...i would not risk him on the practice squad....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2104
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 5:55:55 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I think you all will appreciate this video of Brendel. His dream is to be a Viking. I can't help but root for a guy like him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iH3WP4ghAVw

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2105
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 7:15:23 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies." (from Shawshank Redemption)

Here's hoping for a better future. A future where everyone can find their true love and the world can be a place of mutual respect with everyone living for the sake of others. Our parents generation made sacrifices so that we could have a better life than they did and we also want to think the same way- that life can be better for next generations.

Of course we have struggled through the years as Vikings fans. We have had our hopes and our disappointments. We have never had the satisfaction of a Super Bowl championship, but there is always hope that the future can be better than the past. This is the time of year when we can think that way. May everyone's greatest hopes be soon realized

Post #: 2106
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 10:40:28 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

I think you all will appreciate this video of Brendel. His dream is to be a Viking. I can't help but root for a guy like him.

Whatever you do, don't watch him against Ohio St./Joey Bosa(youtube). Got beat most of the time.

Guard would seem to be a better fit in Pros.
Post #: 2107
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 11:17:14 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

Whatever you do, don't watch him against Ohio St./Joey Bosa(youtube). Got beat most of the time.

Didn't he only give up one sack all year, though?

Edit: Yes. I found this.

With the 203rd overall selection in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings selected Oregon State OL Blake Brandel in the sixth round. - Received a 93.1 pass-blocking grade by Pro Football Focus, the best mark in the nation, allowing just one sack and four hurries.

But I do agree that he needs to go inside.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 7/16/2020 11:18:42 AM >

Post #: 2108
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 12:42:23 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

With the 203rd overall selection in the 2020 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings selected Oregon State OL Blake Brandel in the sixth round. - Received a 93.1 pass-blocking grade by Pro Football Focus, the best mark in the nation, allowing just one sack and four hurries.

The game against Bosa was in 2018. A different year and he was a different player. Much better player in 2019.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2109
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 2:39:45 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Top Ten Safeties by Missed Tackle Rate Over the Last Two Years:

10. Justin Reid—8.9%
9. Harrison Smith—8.8%
8. Adrian Amos—8.6%
7. Kenny Vaccaro—8.3%
6. Eric Weddle—7.2%
5. Patrick Chung—7.0%
4. Justin Simmons—6.7%
3. Jamal Adams—6.6%
2. Kevin Byard—5.5%
1. Anthony Harris—4.0%

(Nick Olson on Twitter)

Post #: 2110
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 3:21:26 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Top Ten Safeties by Missed Tackle Rate Over the Last Two Years:

10. Justin Reid—8.9%
9. Harrison Smith—8.8%
8. Adrian Amos—8.6%
7. Kenny Vaccaro—8.3%
6. Eric Weddle—7.2%
5. Patrick Chung—7.0%
4. Justin Simmons—6.7%
3. Jamal Adams—6.6%
2. Kevin Byard—5.5%
1. Anthony Harris—4.0%

(Nick Olson on Twitter)

When given a chance to make a tackle Harris makes the tackle 24 times out of 25. Considering the skill of the players he is competing against that is almost unbelievable.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2111
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 3:31:25 PM   
Bruce Johnson

You will be surprised to see which team had the lowest missed tackle rate and which one had the highest.

https://www.pff.com/news/sig-stats-tackling-efficiency-by-team

Post #: 2112
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 3:36:46 PM   
Bruce Johnson

And then there is this:

Minnesota Vikings guard Pat Elflein recorded the lowest PFF pass-blocking efficiency (95.6) of any qualifying guard in the NFL and allowed 38 total pressures in the process.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-signature-stat-spotlight-offensive-line

Post #: 2113
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 3:39:45 PM   
Bruce Johnson

San Francisco 49ers running back Matt Breida led all running backs in breakaway percentage, or percentage of rushing yards gained on runs of 15-plus yards at 42.4%. Minnesota Vikings running back Alexander Mattison ranked second at 41.3%. The lowest-ranked back in breakaway percentage in 2019 was New York Jets veteran Le’Veon Bell at 4.3%. No other running back in football finished below 5% in 2019.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-signature-stat-spotlight-running-backs

Post #: 2114
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 3:42:25 PM   
Bruce Johnson

But this is a surprising stat:

Kirk Cousins’ 2.83-second time-to-throw average was the longest of any NFL quarterback with 300 or more dropbacks in 2019.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-signature-stat-spotlight-quarterbacks

Post #: 2115
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 3:45:18 PM   
Bruce Johnson

And Kyle Rudolph has an honorable mention, as well, by Profootball Focus.

Among the 20 NFL tight ends with 50-plus targets in 2019, New Orleans Saints’ Jared Cook ranked first in passer rating when targeted (142.4). The veteran tight end hauled in 48-of-67 targets for 759 yards, 27 first downs and nine touchdowns in his first year with Drew Brees & Co. Minnesota Vikings’ Kyle Rudolph (136.7) and Houston Texans’ Darren Fells (127.8) ranked second and third, respectively.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-signature-stat-spotlight-tight-ends

Post #: 2116
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 3:52:30 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Notice how this article begins with "there is no doubt that Hughes will have an expanded role", but finishes with "he could find himself slipping to nickel or even less if the rookies hit the ground running". Rather contradictory, if you asked me.

CB MIKE HUGHES, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
There is no doubt that Mike Hughes will have a significant role within the Minnesota secondary this season barring injury — the Vikings lost their top three corners from 2019 in one offseason — but he may have a fight on his hands to determine exactly how significant that role is.

The Vikings' entire cornerback depth chart is essentially up in the air right now, with Hughes and Holton Hill needing to fend off competition from first- and third-round draft picks Jeff Gladney and Cameron Dantzler. Hughes has a lot working in his favor. He was a former first-round pick, which usually results in the team feeling it has a bigger investment in that player. He has missed a lot of time in his first two seasons and has played just 744 NFL snaps. He has also not been able to settle in to just one position. Starting outside, he played 138 snaps in the slot last season. And he was primarily a slot corner in more than one game.

The entire Vikings cornerback depth chart is a free-for-all, but Hughes likely has the inside track to being their No. 1 guy if he can have a strong camp and show he is indeed a first-round talent. If he can’t improve on back-to-back PFF coverage grades of around 60.0, though, he could find himself slipping to a nickel corner role or even further if the rookies hit the ground running.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-10-players-who-need-strong-training-camps-expanded-roles-2020

Post #: 2117
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 3:54:23 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Kirk Cousins’ 2.83-second time-to-throw average was the longest of any NFL quarterback with 300 or more dropbacks in 2019.

Play action passes which the Vikings employed at either the highest rate in the NFL or close to it rely on deception and take longer to get off. Cousins is also willing to hang in the pocket until the last second to get the pass off. This is not an indication that he had good blocking.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2118
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 3:55:43 PM   
Bruce Johnson

The league and the players association agreed on something. That's always good.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/07/16/nfl-will-place-players-who-test-positive-for-covid-19-on-ir-for-three-weeks/

Post #: 2119
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 4:49:19 PM   
Pager

quote:

quote:

Play action passes which the Vikings employed at either the highest rate in the NFL or close to it rely on deception and take longer to get off. Cousins is also willing to hang in the pocket until the last second to get the pass off. This is not an indication that he had good blocking.

Exactly. If you take out play-action, it drops to 2.5 seconds which is average. 2018, Cousins was also mid pack/average.

ESPN looked at blocking win rate, and we ranked 26th which aligned with PFF's 27th ranked pass blocking.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2120
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 5:02:35 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pager

quote:

quote:

Exactly. If you take out play-action, it drops to 2.5 seconds which is average. 2018, Cousins was also mid pack/average.

ESPN looked at blocking win rate, and we ranked 26th which aligned with PFF's 27th ranked pass blocking.

Pager that was a MOST EXCELLENT follow up to my post. Thanks,

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2121
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 9:39:58 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Do you mean play action or quarterback throwing on a roll out or even on the run?

Post #: 2122
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/16/2020 11:35:15 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

The game against Bosa was in 2018. A different year and he was a different player. Much better player in 2019.

I hope he is a steal.

Bosa has made alot of players look bad.
Post #: 2123
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 12:47:07 AM   
thebigo

quote:

Notice how this article begins with "there is no doubt that Hughes will have an expanded role", but finishes with "he could find himself slipping to nickel or even less if the rookies hit the ground running". Rather contradictory, if you asked me.

CB MIKE HUGHES, MINNESOTA VIKINGS
There is no doubt that Mike Hughes will have a significant role within the Minnesota secondary this season barring injury — the Vikings lost their top three corners from 2019 in one offseason — but he may have a fight on his hands to determine exactly how significant that role is.

The Vikings' entire cornerback depth chart is essentially up in the air right now, with Hughes and Holton Hill needing to fend off competition from first- and third-round draft picks Jeff Gladney and Cameron Dantzler. Hughes has a lot working in his favor. He was a former first-round pick, which usually results in the team feeling it has a bigger investment in that player. He has missed a lot of time in his first two seasons and has played just 744 NFL snaps. He has also not been able to settle in to just one position. Starting outside, he played 138 snaps in the slot last season. And he was primarily a slot corner in more than one game.

The entire Vikings cornerback depth chart is a free-for-all, but Hughes likely has the inside track to being their No. 1 guy if he can have a strong camp and show he is indeed a first-round talent. If he can’t improve on back-to-back PFF coverage grades of around 60.0, though, he could find himself slipping to a nickel corner role or even further if the rookies hit the ground running.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-10-players-who-need-strong-training-camps-expanded-roles-2020
Post #: 2124
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 6:14:09 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

Do you mean play action or quarterback throwing on a roll out or even on the run?

Play action.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2125
Page:   <<   < prev  83 84 [85] 86 87   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  83 84 [85] 86 87   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode