Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  85 86 [87] 88 89   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2020 10:57:31 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

According to Field Yates of ESPN, the National Football League has suspended Brothers for the first nine games of the 2020 NFL season.

As Yates points out, this is Brothers’ second career suspension, as he was made to miss the first four games of the 2018 season for violating the league’s policy against performance-enhancing drugs. Given the length of the suspension, it can safely be assumed that he’s been popped for the same thing again.

i wonder if he/teams knew this was likely and that's why he hasn't been signed in free agency...he's nothing special, but he's a decent minimum wage 3rd string linebacker/special teams player....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2151
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2020 11:34:31 AM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Maybe no Zimmer extension is forthcoming. Getting kind of late compared to past extensions. He's reportedly "irked". You gotta love the way his team tackles, but perhaps the Wilfs want more. I guess we all do.

If we replace him IMO whoever it is will not be as good.

I agree from the standpoint of W-L, where Zimmer looks very good. The issue goes back to the comment he made at the end of last season, where he said regarding the possibility that he would be moving on, “Quite honestly I think it’s silly that people were talking about it on a 10-win team that’s 60-percent wins.” Seems to miss the point that expectations are a bit higher after six years. Does he have the traits to win the big one?

There are things I like about Zim and things I don't like.

In the end I think he is too conservative of a HC to take us much further than he has.

i agree, he lucked out twice against new orleans in the playoffs...he lost the lead in both games with his bs zone, no blitz prevent defense....

every game is a nail-biter with zimmer....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2152
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2020 12:18:06 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

quote:

According to Field Yates of ESPN, the National Football League has suspended Brothers for the first nine games of the 2020 NFL season.

As Yates points out, this is Brothers’ second career suspension, as he was made to miss the first four games of the 2018 season for violating the league’s policy against performance-enhancing drugs. Given the length of the suspension, it can safely be assumed that he’s been popped for the same thing again.

i wonder if he/teams knew this was likely and that's why he hasn't been signed in free agency...he's nothing special, but he's a decent minimum wage 3rd string linebacker/special teams player....

Looks like he understood he wasn't good enough and he was desperately trying to find a way to keep himself in the league. My sister is a retired dentist. She had a Viking player once as a patient. He wanted to know if there was something she could do to help him have an edge in his performance. He wasn't specific, but that player was soon out of the league. (first round draft pick, by the way)

Edit: I double checked on this player and to my surprise he managed to stay in the league for good while with other teams and was more successful than with the Vikings.

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 7/18/2020 12:21:03 PM >

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2153
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2020 12:26:39 PM   
kgdabom

sd

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2154
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2020 1:15:48 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe no Zimmer extension is forthcoming. Getting kind of late compared to past extensions. He's reportedly "irked". You gotta love the way his team tackles, but perhaps the Wilfs want more. I guess we all do.

If we replace him IMO whoever it is will not be as good.

I agree from the standpoint of W-L, where Zimmer looks very good. The issue goes back to the comment he made at the end of last season, where he said regarding the possibility that he would be moving on, “Quite honestly I think it’s silly that people were talking about it on a 10-win team that’s 60-percent wins.” Seems to miss the point that expectations are a bit higher after six years. Does he have the traits to win the big one?

There are things I like about Zim and things I don't like.

In the end I think he is too conservative of a HC to take us much further than he has.

i agree, he lucked out twice against new orleans in the playoffs...he lost the lead in both games with his bs zone, no blitz prevent defense....

every game is a nail-biter with zimmer....

Yeah he always takes his foot off their neck too early. Way too early.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2155
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2020 2:42:13 PM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

Looks like he understood he wasn't good enough and he was desperately trying to find a way to keep himself in the league. My sister is a retired dentist. She had a Viking player once as a patient. He wanted to know if there was something she could do to help him have an edge in his performance. He wasn't specific, but that player was soon out of the league. (first round draft pick, by the way)

Edit: I double checked on this player and to my surprise he managed to stay in the league for good while with other teams and was more successful than with the Vikings.

Chris Hovan?
Post #: 2156
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2020 3:08:07 PM   
jbusse

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Chris Hovan?

We'd be fortunate if James Lynch pans out as well as Hovan did.
Post #: 2157
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2020 4:09:14 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Chris Hovan?

His initials are DC.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2158
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2020 5:29:25 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Chris Hovan?

His initials are DC.

Dhris Covan?
Post #: 2159
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2020 5:30:09 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Chris Hovan?

We'd be fortunate if James Lynch pans out as well as Hovan did.

True dat!
Post #: 2160
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2020 5:57:20 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Chris Hovan?

His initials are DC.

Duane Clemons

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 2161
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2020 7:18:07 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Chris Hovan?

His initials are DC.

Duane Clemons

Shhh! Don't tell anyone.

This afternoon I was watching Vikings games from 1973 when Chuck Foreman was a rookie. He was really good, but the game was so different. Today's game is so much more explosive and wide open. There were so many rushes into the line for 3,4, or 5 yards. Also there were lots of turnovers. Alan Page looked like a player of today playing 45 years ago.

Post #: 2162
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2020 7:33:39 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Also, I believe that Jim Marshall was every bit as good, if not better than Carl Eller. It's a travesty that he never was elected into the Hall of Fame.

Post #: 2163
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2020 7:50:23 AM   
Bruce Johnson

I didn't realize, or else this is new, that rookies can report on Tuesday for training camp. How great that is.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/7/18/21329711/nfl-announces-schedule-players-report-training-camp-minnesota-vikings

Post #: 2164
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2020 7:53:05 AM   
Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who ask their dentist?
Post #: 2165
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2020 9:03:39 AM   
Bill Jandro

At yesterday’s League meeting, the membership was advised that under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the reporting dates for training camp this year are as follows:

Rookies - July 21

Quarterbacks and injured players - July 23

All other players - July 28

Will Cook show up???

Post #: 2166
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2020 9:17:17 AM   
Todd M

Nope.
Post #: 2167
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2020 9:23:18 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Nope.

he'd be beyond an idiot not to show up. Just gives the Vikings another year of control on him.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2168
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2020 9:53:57 AM   
Bill Jandro

Yeah he would. If the season ends up getting shortened or shut down due to the covid and players are credited with a years service he's going to look like a fool for holding out.

Post #: 2169
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2020 9:56:23 AM   
thebigo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

quote:

quote:

quote:

Who ask their dentist?

Well, he did say he was desparate.
Post #: 2170
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2020 3:15:07 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Ludford is negative about rookie contributions. He is more open to scheme changes, both on offense and defense. Some players could have some position flexibility so it will be interesting to see how things develop.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2020/7/19/21319295/vikings-training-camp-preview

Post #: 2171
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2020 3:21:10 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Another stat that shows how great Hunter is. It's not only about sacks that determines proficiency.

https://twitter.com/DustBaker/status/1284923396833370113?s=20

Post #: 2172
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/19/2020 3:38:08 PM   
Bruce Johnson

I was watching a Vikings game vs. the Steelers in 1972. This may be heretical, but I really don't think Tarkenton was that good. A lot of his passes were errant. Actually, I think the quarterback play of today is leaps and bounds overall compared to that generation. I know the rules are more pass friendly, but you know that Terry Bradshaw was not that good either. I'm thinking there are 20 or more quarterbacks of today better than he was in his prime.

Post #: 2173
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 12:05:04 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

I was watching a Vikings game vs. the Steelers in 1972. This may be heretical, but I really don't think Tarkenton was that good. A lot of his passes were errant. Actually, I think the quarterback play of today is leaps and bounds overall compared to that generation. I know the rules are more pass friendly, but you know that Terry Bradshaw was not that good either. I'm thinking there are 20 or more quarterbacks of today better than he was in his prime.

Fran is one of the best I ever saw play. Maybe technically people are better now, but Fran was a winner. Terry Bradshaw was quite good, but also in the right place at the right time.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 7/20/2020 12:06:05 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2174
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 1:24:07 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

Fran is one of the best I ever saw play. Maybe technically people are better now, but Fran was a winner. Terry Bradshaw was quite good, but also in the right place at the right time.

Tarkenton had a lifetime completion percentage of 57% despite throwing mostly short passes. If you watch his film today I believe you will agree with me. He threw a lot of errant passes. He did not have a good arm, either. Not by today's standards.

Post #: 2175
Page:   <<   < prev  85 86 [87] 88 89   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  85 86 [87] 88 89   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode