Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  84 85 [86] 87 88   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 7:20:44 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

And then there is this:

Minnesota Vikings guard Pat Elflein recorded the lowest PFF pass-blocking efficiency (95.6) of any qualifying guard in the NFL and allowed 38 total pressures in the process.

https://www.pff.com/news/pro-signature-stat-spotlight-offensive-line

eww

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2126
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 7:44:53 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

Do you mean play action or quarterback throwing on a roll out or even on the run?

Play action.

So play action can mean just sticking the ball in the running back's gut and still keeping it while standing in the pocket. It may slow down the pass rush or may not. Am I wrong about that?

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2127
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 8:42:22 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Do you mean play action or quarterback throwing on a roll out or even on the run?

Play action.

So play action can mean just sticking the ball in the running back's gut and still keeping it while standing in the pocket. It may slow down the pass rush or may not. Am I wrong about that?

I believe so.

Seems like we have Kirk roll out a lot. provided the defense doesn't leave an edge guy to this side Kirk has really good success. GB was leaving an edge guy home and it really seemd to rattle Kirk even though he'd still have plenty of time to get the throw off.

Kirk simply doesn't have the stomach for pressure. not a good quality for an NFL qb.

Post #: 2128
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 10:28:30 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Play action.

It can. Play action is simply a play form that initially involves a fake handoff to a RB, and evolves into a pass play, which can take on many forms.
Post #: 2129
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 10:38:31 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

Play action.

I believe so.

Seems like we have Kirk roll out a lot. provided the defense doesn't leave an edge guy to this side Kirk has really good success. GB was leaving an edge guy home and it really seemd to rattle Kirk even though he'd still have plenty of time to get the throw off.

Kirk simply doesn't have the stomach for pressure. not a good quality for an NFL qb.

I respectfully disagree. I found this:

UNDER PRESSURE: 91.5 passer rating, +3.8% completion rate above expectation, 58.1% completion rate.

Cousins was a stud under pressure in the earliest years of NGS tracking, which helped destroy a narrative of him being average at the absolute best. But thanks to a play-action offense built out of an emphatic rushing attack led by Dalvin Cook, Cousins doesn't face as much pressure as he once did. Even with that considered, he still lands in the top five of most under-pressure metrics. His passer rating under pressure was fifth-best, his completion percentage under pressure was fourth-best and his completion percentage above expectation while pressured was also in the top five. You won't often see Cousins' name mentioned among the Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes of the league, but he has the numbers to back it up.

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-10-qbs-under-pressure-ryan-tannehill-derek-carr-shine

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2130
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 10:43:30 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Play action.

I believe so.

Stats say different.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2131
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 10:45:16 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Play action.

I believe so.

UNDER PRESSURE: 91.5 passer rating, +3.8% completion rate above expectation, 58.1% completion rate.

Cousins was a stud under pressure in the earliest years of NGS tracking, which helped destroy a narrative of him being average at the absolute best. But thanks to a play-action offense built out of an emphatic rushing attack led by Dalvin Cook, Cousins doesn't face as much pressure as he once did. Even with that considered, he still lands in the top five of most under-pressure metrics. His passer rating under pressure was fifth-best, his completion percentage under pressure was fourth-best and his completion percentage above expectation while pressured was also in the top five. You won't often see Cousins' name mentioned among the Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes of the league, but he has the numbers to back it up.

https://www.nfl.com/news/top-10-qbs-under-pressure-ryan-tannehill-derek-carr-shine

Thank you. Kirk is superior to most QBs under pressure.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2132
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 10:53:09 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Play action.

It can. Play action is simply a play form that initially involves a fake handoff to a RB, and evolves into a pass play, which can take on many forms.

Right, so I'm saying that mostly it's a subset of play action where Cousins rolls out that has impacted his "time to throw" stat. Perhaps I'm being nit picky. Regardless, we all watch the games and can see that the offensive line leaves us all wanting for something better. Elflein in particular had the worst guard pass protection rating from PFF in the league. And credit should go to Stefanski and Kubiak for making adjustments to afford more time for Cousins throw. Part of that also is that Cousins has thrived while throwing after rolling out. I found this:

Kirk Cousins is a bootleg machine.
Per NFL Next Gen Stats, Cousins has 7 passing TDs this season on designed rollouts to the left, including 2 in the Vikings 20-point comeback win on Sunday. The rest of the NFL has 1 touchdown pass on designed rollouts to the left all season.

(Courtney Cronin on Twitter)

Post #: 2133
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 11:21:35 AM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Play action.

Right, so I'm saying that mostly it's a subset of play action where Cousins rolls out that has impacted his "time to throw" stat. Perhaps I'm being nit picky. Regardless, we all watch the games and can see that the offensive line leaves us all wanting for something better. Elflein in particular had the worst guard pass protection rating from PFF in the league. And credit should go to Stefanski and Kubiak for making adjustments to afford more time for Cousins throw. Part of that also is that Cousins has thrived while throwing after rolling out. I found this:

Per NFL Next Gen Stats, Cousins has 7 passing TDs this season on designed rollouts to the left, including 2 in the Vikings 20-point comeback win on Sunday. The rest of the NFL has 1 touchdown pass on designed rollouts to the left all season.

And rollouts to the left typically involve throwing across your body for right handed passers.
Post #: 2134
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 11:37:09 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Play action.

I believe so.

Eye test says different. I don't care what all these advanced metrics say.

Post #: 2135
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 11:39:12 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Play action.

And rollouts to the left typically involve throwing across your body for right handed passers.

Kirk is very good rolling left. Which is typically not what most right handed qb's can excel at.

Post #: 2136
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 12:01:25 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Play action.

I believe so.

The ol' Eye Test response. Works every time -
Post #: 2137
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 12:17:37 PM   
Bill Jandro

You guys have all watched the games. There is no way in hell anyone can convince me that Cousins is good under pressure.

he curls up like a little school girl. just rewatch week 2 vs GB

Post #: 2138
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 12:24:40 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Play action.

I believe so.

Eye test says the same as the stats. Better get an eye exam. Or like in My Cousin Vinny it's time for a stronger pair.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2139
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 12:26:07 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

You guys have all watched the games. There is no way in hell anyone can convince me that Cousins is good under pressure.

He makes a mistake and you can't forget it. I remember all the excellent plays he made under pressure. Like the TD pass to Rudolph in OT against the Saints. He had two blitzing defenders right in his face. Just one of many.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 7/17/2020 12:28:17 PM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2140
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 12:41:21 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

When the pressure comes from the middle it's really hard for most quarterbacks to escape the pressure. It feels like to me that he is good passing under pressure, but he lacks the mobility to create something out of nothing. Cousins was sacked an average of 1.75 times per game, which is tied with the Patriots for the sixth best in the league. For sure Cousins did throw the ball away quite a few times, but it's interesting to note that he only threw 8 interceptions, so it seems to me that he was making good decisions for the most part. I just checked and he fumbled the ball only three times which has been a problem for him in the past. I imagine that a lot of emphasis was placed on minimizing that by the coaches.

Perhaps he can do better if the Vikings can develop a viable third receiver. That could be Irv Smith, Jr., but this article suggests Hollins may be the third receiver with the most juice to his game. I have compared Hollins to Thielen in that he was undrafted from a small school. It would be cool if he could take a big leap in production this season. Anyway it doesn't really matter which receiver seizes the job; I just want one of these prospects to emerge big time.

https://thevikingage.com/2020/07/17/3-reasons-alexander-hollins-vikings-wr3/

< Message edited by Bruce Johnson -- 7/17/2020 12:43:46 PM >

Post #: 2141
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 1:13:34 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

When the pressure comes from the middle it's really hard for most quarterbacks to escape the pressure. It feels like to me that he is good passing under pressure, but he lacks the mobility to create something out of nothing. Cousins was sacked an average of 1.75 times per game, which is tied with the Patriots for the sixth best in the league. For sure Cousins did throw the ball away quite a few times, but it's interesting to note that he only threw 8 interceptions, so it seems to me that he was making good decisions for the most part. I just checked and he fumbled the ball only three times which has been a problem for him in the past. I imagine that a lot of emphasis was placed on minimizing that by the coaches.

Perhaps he can do better if the Vikings can develop a viable third receiver. That could be Irv Smith, Jr., but this article suggests Hollins may be the third receiver with the most juice to his game. I have compared Hollins to Thielen in that he was undrafted from a small school. It would be cool if he could take a big leap in production this season. Anyway it doesn't really matter which receiver seizes the job; I just want one of these prospects to emerge big time.

I'm pretty confident that Sharpe, Bisi and Osborn will all have spots. If Sharpe doesn't I will be proven right on questioning the guaranteed money to him. Will Mitchell break through.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2142
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 3:59:55 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm pretty confident that Sharpe, Bisi and Osborn will all have spots. If Sharpe doesn't I will be proven right on questioning the guaranteed money to him. Will Mitchell break through.

Sharpe makes sense to me, too.

Post #: 2143
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 5:14:00 PM   
DeLain

quote:

You will be surprised to see which team had the lowest missed tackle rate and which one had the highest.

https://www.pff.com/news/sig-stats-tackling-efficiency-by-team

The Vikings and Browns were the only two teams in the Top 10 for both defensive missed tackles and special teams missed tackles.
Post #: 2144
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 5:33:34 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: DeLain

quote:

You will be surprised to see which team had the lowest missed tackle rate and which one had the highest.

https://www.pff.com/news/sig-stats-tackling-efficiency-by-team

The Vikings and Browns were the only two teams in the Top 10 for both defensive missed tackles and special teams missed tackles.

I was surprised to see a playoff team ( the Saints) with the highest rate of missed tackles.

Post #: 2145
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/17/2020 8:56:28 PM   
jbusse

Maybe no Zimmer extension is forthcoming. Getting kind of late compared to past extensions. He's reportedly "irked". You gotta love the way his team tackles, but perhaps the Wilfs want more. I guess we all do.
Post #: 2146
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2020 12:19:06 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: jbusse

Maybe no Zimmer extension is forthcoming. Getting kind of late compared to past extensions. He's reportedly "irked". You gotta love the way his team tackles, but perhaps the Wilfs want more. I guess we all do.

If we replace him IMO whoever it is will not be as good.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2147
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2020 8:23:12 AM   
Bill Jandro

According to Field Yates of ESPN, the National Football League has suspended Brothers for the first nine games of the 2020 NFL season.

As Yates points out, this is Brothers’ second career suspension, as he was made to miss the first four games of the 2018 season for violating the league’s policy against performance-enhancing drugs. Given the length of the suspension, it can safely be assumed that he’s been popped for the same thing again.

Post #: 2148
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2020 8:28:21 AM   
jbusse

quote:

quote:

I agree from the standpoint of W-L, where Zimmer looks very good. The issue goes back to the comment he made at the end of last season, where he said regarding the possibility that he would be moving on, “Quite honestly I think it’s silly that people were talking about it on a 10-win team that’s 60-percent wins.” Seems to miss the point that expectations are a bit higher after six years. Does he have the traits to win the big one?
Post #: 2149
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/18/2020 8:36:33 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

quote:

I agree from the standpoint of W-L, where Zimmer looks very good. The issue goes back to the comment he made at the end of last season, where he said regarding the possibility that he would be moving on, “Quite honestly I think it’s silly that people were talking about it on a 10-win team that’s 60-percent wins.” Seems to miss the point that expectations are a bit higher after six years. Does he have the traits to win the big one?

There are things I like about Zim and things I don't like.

In the end I think he is too conservative of a HC to take us much further than he has.

Post #: 2150
Page:   <<   < prev  84 85 [86] 87 88   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  84 85 [86] 87 88   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode