Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 9:33:08 AM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

I was watching a Vikings game vs. the Steelers in 1972. This may be heretical, but I really don't think Tarkenton was that good. A lot of his passes were errant. Actually, I think the quarterback play of today is leaps and bounds overall compared to that generation. I know the rules are more pass friendly, but you know that Terry Bradshaw was not that good either. I'm thinking there are 20 or more quarterbacks of today better than he was in his prime.

Fran is one of the best I ever saw play. Maybe technically people are better now, but Fran was a winner. Terry Bradshaw was quite good, but also in the right place at the right time.

Tarkenton had a lifetime completion percentage of 57% despite throwing mostly short passes. If you watch his film today I believe you will agree with me. He threw a lot of errant passes. He did not have a good arm, either. Not by today's standards.

I don’t know Bruce, if you look at stats for QB’s back then you have to take them with a huge grain of salt.

It was a different game.

Tark’s stats were more a sign of the times. His lowest passing % years were with the Giants were I believe he had a few years in the mid 50’s, but so did many QB’s in those years. 5 out of his last 6 years he was over 60%. Which was at, or near the league lead

Other then his lackluster performances in Super Bowls, I wouldn’t trade sir Francis for any QB (In that era)
  Post #: 2176
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 9:56:37 AM   
Bill Jandro

I wonder if the NFLPA is going to have players report or not.

Apparently social media has been buzzing with veterans speaking out that there isn't a clear agreed upon plan that protects players regarding the covid.

There are also financial issues with the billionaire owners worried about losses and wanting the players to absorb some or most of it.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 2177
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 10:42:43 AM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

quote:

I was watching a Vikings game vs. the Steelers in 1972. This may be heretical, but I really don't think Tarkenton was that good. A lot of his passes were errant. Actually, I think the quarterback play of today is leaps and bounds overall compared to that generation. I know the rules are more pass friendly, but you know that Terry Bradshaw was not that good either. I'm thinking there are 20 or more quarterbacks of today better than he was in his prime.

Fran is one of the best I ever saw play. Maybe technically people are better now, but Fran was a winner. Terry Bradshaw was quite good, but also in the right place at the right time.

Tarkenton had a lifetime completion percentage of 57% despite throwing mostly short passes. If you watch his film today I believe you will agree with me. He threw a lot of errant passes. He did not have a good arm, either. Not by today's standards.

I don’t know Bruce, if you look at stats for QB’s back then you have to take them with a huge grain of salt.

It was a different game.

Tark’s stats were more a sign of the times. His lowest passing % years were with the Giants were I believe he had a few years in the mid 50’s, but so did many QB’s in those years. 5 out of his last 6 years he was over 60%. Which was at, or near the league lead

Other then his lackluster performances in Super Bowls, I wouldn’t trade sir Francis for any QB (In that era)

I'm trying to be a little provocative because it's too slow here, but mostly I am basing my opinion on watching film. I was surprised how so many of the passes were so short. I guess that was the offense before it was called the West Coast Offense, but really 2/3rds of the passes were less than ten yards down field. I heard Tarkenton himself say that he injured his arm once in high school and it was difficult for him to throw the longer passes as a result. I saw a lot of his passes being really far off the mark to open receivers and I saw their frustration.

In fairness, I watched only one Fran Tarkenton game from 1972. I watched a couple of others with other QB's. It might be tough to base it on one game and the opponent was the Steelers who of course had a good defense. Maybe I am being too critical because I watched Franco Harris in the game and was not impressed. I thought Chuck Foreman looked better in a different game that I watched. I'm thinking there may be 100 running backs today, (including college) who are better now than Harris was in 1972. Maybe 200. The game has changed so much.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2178
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 11:12:14 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Kirk Cousins rank in adjusted completion % since becoming a starter

🎯 2019: 4th
🎯 2018: 2nd
🎯 2017: 10th
🎯 2016: 9th
🎯 2015: 2nd

(PFf Min Vikings on Twitter)

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 2179
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 12:25:58 PM   
Bruce Johnson

One person I talked to anticipates #Vikings rookies will report for training camp "by Friday.''

(Chris Tomasson on Twitter)

Post #: 2180
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 1:55:08 PM   
Bruce Johnson

And now I'm hearing rookies will report Thursday.

Post #: 2181
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 2:32:22 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

At yesterday’s League meeting, the membership was advised that under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the reporting dates for training camp this year are as follows:

Rookies - July 21

Quarterbacks and injured players - July 23

All other players - July 28

Post #: 2182
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 2:35:18 PM   
Bill Jandro

Bruce

There has been some objections from veterans regarding the protocols to protect them that the NFL has not addressed these objections by the NFLPA.

Post #: 2183
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 2:52:16 PM   
Bruce Johnson

They're making us squirm, aren't they.

Post #: 2184
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 3:11:40 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It was a different game.

Tark was the best QB of his ERA. Montana and Marino came soon after. Montana IMO modeled his game after Fran's.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2185
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 3:14:06 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It was a different game.

I'm trying to be a little provocative because it's too slow here, but mostly I am basing my opinion on watching film. I was surprised how so many of the passes were so short. I guess that was the offense before it was called the West Coast Offense, but really 2/3rds of the passes were less than ten yards down field. I heard Tarkenton himself say that he injured his arm once in high school and it was difficult for him to throw the longer passes as a result. I saw a lot of his passes being really far off the mark to open receivers and I saw their frustration.

In fairness, I watched only one Fran Tarkenton game from 1972. I watched a couple of others with other QB's. It might be tough to base it on one game and the opponent was the Steelers who of course had a good defense. Maybe I am being too critical because I watched Franco Harris in the game and was not impressed. I thought Chuck Foreman looked better in a different game that I watched. I'm thinking there may be 100 running backs today, (including college) who are better now than Harris was in 1972. Maybe 200. The game has changed so much.

Harris was good. Foreman was much better.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2186
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 3:15:13 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

Kirk is VERY GOOD. It blows my mind how so many Vikings fans don't realize it.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2187
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 3:47:44 PM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Many of his peers and the media disagree with you.

Stats aside. He doesn't look like a good qb to me. Sure he has some good moments but he rarely can take a game over and tends to wilt in the spot light.

Post #: 2188
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 3:51:51 PM   
Bill Jandro

KG here are a couple links for you

https://purplepainforums.com/thread/3501/cousins-top-pass-defenses-bottom?page=1

https://purplepainforums.com/thread/3520/kirk-cousins-bottom-defenses-top

Kirk is the best qb in the league against bottom 10 defenses. Not so much against the top 10.

Post #: 2189
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 3:54:35 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

quote:

Stats aside. He doesn't look like a good qb to me. Sure he has some good moments but he rarely can take a game over and tends to wilt in the spot light.

Many of his peers and the media agree with me. Everybody has good plays and bad plays. Cousins is no exception. He makes many more good plays than bad plays. I'm very glad he's our QB. I much prefer him to the guy playing in that cow town in Wisconsin.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2190
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 3:56:10 PM   
kgdabom

Tyler Johnson officially an NFL player.

TYLER JOHNSON
WR, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Buccaneers signed fifth-round WR Tyler Johnson to a four-year contract.
Johnson (6’1/206) was a three-year starting slot receiver for the Gophers with nice hands and size. He posted back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons as a junior and senior and holds the Gophers’ career record for receiving yards (3,305) and touchdowns (33). On tape, he uses his hands very well and makes plays in traffic, but he isn't a natural separator and has below-average burst. Despite the record-breaking production, Johnson wasn’t invited to the Senior Bowl, a sign the NFL had little interest in him throughout the draft process. He was also dinged by scouts for not competing, by choice, at the NFL Combine. The Bucs are a great landing spot in that Johnson gets to learn from Tom Brady, but his early career path to targets is completely blocked by the prodigious talent in front of him.

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter
Jul 20, 2020, 11:32 AM ET

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 2191
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 4:33:10 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm not saying Kirk is a top five quarterback, but given better protection from the offensive line I think he's close to top five. (second five) He's not mobile and he's not the kind of QB that can create something out of nothing. If he was, he would definitely be top five.

Post #: 2192
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 4:36:07 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'm not saying Kirk is a top five quarterback, but given better protection from the offensive line I think he's close to top five. (second five) He's not mobile and he's not the kind of QB that can create something out of nothing. If he was, he would definitely be top five.

Cousins is a good QB. To spin it any other way is pure nonsense.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2193
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 4:47:24 PM   
Pager

I agree with the oline assessment. Our interior line pass blocking has been awful both years for Cousins. Other than maybe Watson, Mahomes, and Wilson - no qb does well with pressure up the middle.

Having said that - I think Cousins does a lot better than some fans think. 2018 vs Rams and GB he was prolific. GB he overcame Treadwell's gift interception to still send it into OT and should have won the game. Rams - he got zero defensive help. 2019 - big reason we won the Eagles/Det games. He consistently put up points. Denver, he lead a furious second half comeback win - a historic comeback if I remember right. He put 30 on Seattle on the road. Those are just a few that come to mind.

I do want him to take more chances - he's one of the more conservative QBs in the league. I also think Zimmer plays a big role in that - Dallas game is a good example. Who knows how many more points Cousin leads the Vikes to if playcalling was more aggressive.

I'd say he's probably the 10-12 best QB in the league. With an improved line and more aggressive play calling, I could see him cracking the top ten.

That's pretty valuable - imo.

Left picking up the pieces.
Post #: 2194
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 4:47:58 PM   
ratoppenheimer

quote:

Courtney Cronin@CourtneyRCronin

Vikings officially announced report dates for training camp this afternoon.

July 23rd (Thursday): Rookies, QBs, select players
July 28th (next Tuesday): Veterans

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 2195
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 4:53:47 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

TYLER JOHNSON
WR, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

Johnson (6’1/206) was a three-year starting slot receiver for the Gophers with nice hands and size. He posted back-to-back 1,000-yard seasons as a junior and senior and holds the Gophers’ career record for receiving yards (3,305) and touchdowns (33). On tape, he uses his hands very well and makes plays in traffic, but he isn't a natural separator and has below-average burst. Despite the record-breaking production, Johnson wasn’t invited to the Senior Bowl, a sign the NFL had little interest in him throughout the draft process. He was also dinged by scouts for not competing, by choice, at the NFL Combine. The Bucs are a great landing spot in that Johnson gets to learn from Tom Brady, but his early career path to targets is completely blocked by the prodigious talent in front of him.

I'll say yet again, the Vikings will regret passing on Johnson. He'll force his way on the field in TB and Brady is going to love throwing to him.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 2196
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 5:12:38 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Some NFL QBs have said that Cousins sucks?
Post #: 2197
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 5:21:55 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

TYLER JOHNSON
WR, TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS

I'll say yet again, the Vikings will regret passing on Johnson. He'll force his way on the field in TB and Brady is going to love throwing to him.

Johnson was good especially with the contested catches, but he had a limited route tree. He won't thrive in the NFL doing the same routes over and over again.

Post #: 2198
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 8:23:48 PM   
hagar

quote:

You have to take into account that until the late 70's, DBs could bump receivers anywhere
on the field until the ball was thrown. This made it much more difficult for receivers to run
clean routes and for QBs to anticipate exactly where the receiver would be right up until the
moment he released the ball. It's no wonder that completion percentages are so much higher
now.
Post #: 2199
RE: General Vikes Talk - 7/20/2020 8:29:06 PM   
hagar

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

It was a different game.

Exactly. There's a reason that he held most every passing record when he retired.
Post #: 2200
Page:   <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  86 87 [88] 89 90   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode