Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2021 12:01:02 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Fewest Plays from Shotgun,
since 2018:

1. Vikings (1,270)
2. Rams (1,302)
3. Titans (1,365)
4. 49ers (1,498)
5. Saints (1,570)

Dustin Baker on Twitter

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 901
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2021 12:42:58 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

I honestly believe that Cousins is better than the current Brady. It takes a team to win a championship.

Cousins is better than half the league. But this is a stretch.

Brady was on a team with a really successful defense and he had better pass blocking. Brady would not have taken the Vikings to the Super Bowl.

Yep.

What’s the point of a defensive guru head coach then? Or having a GM that doesn’t put much (or any) talent on the o-line? Seems like our problems of not making it to the Super Bowl are solvable.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 902
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2021 1:00:00 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I honestly believe that Cousins is better than the current Brady. It takes a team to win a championship.

Brady was on a team with a really successful defense and he had better pass blocking. Brady would not have taken the Vikings to the Super Bowl.

Yep.

What’s the point of a defensive guru head coach then? Or having a GM that doesn’t put much (or any) talent on the o-line? Seems like our problems of not making it to the Super Bowl are solvable.

OLine is a mystery to me. Scouts and decision makers need to do better or be done.

Defense should take major step forward with just a couple more good additions. If all players who didn't play last year are healthy(and stay healthy).

< Message edited by Mark Anderson -- 2/21/2021 1:01:28 PM >
Post #: 903
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2021 2:28:07 PM   
thebigo

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

Maybe not this year because our defense was decimated, but any other year he probably would have.

I saw a number for how many All Pro offensive linemen the Vikings have had in franchise history. I think it was six. It's not just last year's defense.

We've got 4-5 OL in the HOF (depending on how you count Steve Hutchison). I'd revisit that All Pro number.
Post #: 904
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2021 8:32:46 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

Kirk Cousins' passer rating in the last two minutes of a half last season ... 63.7. When it mattered, he wasn't any good. Ranked about 30th among quarterbacks that threw at least 50 passes (+Roethlisberger, 49). Completion percentage dropped to 56.2%. Five TD's and seven interceptions. This is where the rubber meets the road.

Best Rating in Final Two Minutes of Half:

Aaron Rodgers, 134.6
Derek Car, 124.4
Mitch Trubisky, 116.8
Baker Mayfield, 110.4
Drew Brees, 109.8
Josh Allen, 107.3
Russell Wilson, 106.4
Deshaun Watson, 103.5
Patrick Mahomes, 101.1
Matthew Stafford, 100.5

In 2019 ... 73.7 rating. Again, not very good. Somewhere around 23rd in the league.

In 2017 with Case Keenum ... 114.9. Team went 13-3.

It gets worse the more a person digs into the numbers.

Kirk Cousins 1st half stats for 2020: 234 att 161 comp 68.8 % 1859 yards 7.9 avg 40 long 10 TDs 7 INTs

2nd half stats 2020: 278 att 185 comp 66.5 % 2375 yards 8.5 avg 71 long 25 TDs 6 INTs

Garbage time and shootouts with shitty teams like the Bears and the Lions are what puts Cousin's numbers into the realm of top-12

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 905
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2021 8:37:54 PM   
Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

And Cousins would not have pushed the Bucs to a SB this year. Especially in his first year with a new team. Only a small number of Vikings fans / Cousins zealots would think so.

I can't remember which one but one of the SB or playoff announcers said it best, Brady is simply the most ruthless QB to ever play the game. He wants to hurt you on the plays that really matter. Shewt, he will eviscerate his own teammates if they are messing up.

Meanwhile, Cousins sits cross-legged on the sideline humming mantras and handing out flower petals trying to encourage teammates to play better.

I am just praying that we luck into a spectacular draft and free agency this offseason, boost the OL to respectable, return to a top 5 defense, and stay relatively healthy. I doubt that Cousins can carry anything but a really magnificent team.
Post #: 906
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/21/2021 8:51:24 PM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom Sykes

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yep.

And Cousins would not have pushed the Bucs to a SB this year. Especially in his first year with a new team. Only a small number of Vikings fans / Cousins zealots would think so.

I can't remember which one but one of the SB or playoff announcers said it best, Brady is simply the most ruthless QB to ever play the game. He wants to hurt you on the plays that really matter. Shewt, he will eviscerate his own teammates if they are messing up.

Meanwhile, Cousins sits cross-legged on the sideline humming mantras and handing out flower petals trying to encourage teammates to play better.

I am just praying that we luck into a spectacular draft and free agency this offseason, boost the OL to respectable, return to a top 5 defense, and stay relatively healthy. I doubt that Cousins can carry anything but a really magnificent team.

Yep.
Post #: 907
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 2:25:49 AM   
marty

Brady would have improved the OL with quicker decision making, more accurate throws, and better 1st half play, which also helps the defense.

Cousin's 1st half stats looked pretty bad for 2020, were they much better for 2019 ?

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 908
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 7:30:21 AM   
Bruce Johnson

In 2020, the Vikings defense was the worst in the NFL on 2nd Down.

They allowed first downs on 2nd Down 42.4% of the time.

Dustin Baker on Twitter

With regard to Brady vs Cousins, I'm going to yield to you guys. Brady even now is better than Cousins. You persuaded me. I can listen and change my mind, sometimes.

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 909
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 8:29:19 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

Brady would have improved the OL with quicker decision making, more accurate throws, and better 1st half play, which also helps the defense.

Cousin's 1st half stats looked pretty bad for 2020, were they much better for 2019 ?

I'm sorry Marty, the QB is not going to make the O-line better. The Vikings graded out as the worst pass blocking line in football. Brady would be able to make a few more throws because of his quick decision making, but he would also be forced to hold the ball more than he wants to. When pressure comes that fast up the middle, it takes away passing windows. Brady would do better than Cousins behind any caliber line. He would not keep this line from being a liability.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 910
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 8:48:43 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

quote:

I'm sorry Marty, the QB is not going to make the O-line better. The Vikings graded out as the worst pass blocking line in football. Brady would be able to make a few more throws because of his quick decision making, but he would also be forced to hold the ball more than he wants to. When pressure comes that fast up the middle, it takes away passing windows. Brady would do better than Cousins behind any caliber line. He would not keep this line from being a liability.

I agree, Brady would have made very quick throws but the defense would have adjusted knowing there was zero chance for deep throws, eventually the short stuff would disappear also.
Post #: 911
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 8:51:04 AM   
Brad H

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

quote:

quote:

I agree, Brady would have made very quick throws but the defense would have adjusted knowing there was zero chance for deep throws, eventually the short stuff would disappear also.

Yes, but how many times would Brady have checked out of a play because he knew what he was looking at when he got to the line of scrimmage? When it comes to that thing above the neck, he's one of the best of all time.

Brady makes everyone around him better. That's why he has won a ton of titles, often times with rosters that were nowhere near the best in the league.

< Message edited by Brad H -- 2/22/2021 8:53:42 AM >

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 912
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 9:01:29 AM   
fmaltes

Also, we have had a QB with a very quick release and a bad offensive line before, Sam Bradford. It lead to very high completion percentage but poor offensive production. The line needs to improve especially in the interior. Interesting that we invested a lot of resources to get Hutchinson as a Guard, yet, the new regime seems to think that guards have to come from the lower rounds. Hutchinson was a first round pick, he also was tall (6'5") and big 310lbs+ which apparently goes against the grain of what the current front office seems to be looking in a guard.
Post #: 913
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 9:18:02 AM   
Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

Tampa OLine gelled and was a Top 5 Line at the end of the year. Brady was rarely hit in the Playoffs.

They traded up to get Wirfs and it was rumored that they even wanted to go up before that and get him.
Post #: 914
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 9:31:15 AM   
David F.

quote:

In 2019 his 1st half stats are good but his 'last 2 minutes of a half' stats are still bad.

Post #: 915
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 9:36:51 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

quote:

quote:

Tampa OLine gelled and was a Top 5 Line at the end of the year. Brady was rarely hit in the Playoffs.

They traded up to get Wirfs and it was rumored that they even wanted to go up before that and get him.

Don't get me wrong. I love that we got Jefferson in the draft. Going into the draft, I really wanted the Vikings to trade up for Wirfs.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 916
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 3:54:26 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Some speculation from Peter King. Speculation, mind you. I don't believe this will happen, but this is Peter King.

The Vikings receive DeShawn Watson.

The Texans receive Jimmy G, Niners first round pick (2021), Vikings first round picks in 2021 and 2023, Vikings 2022 and 2023 second round picks, Anthony Barr and Alexander Mattison.

Niners receive Kirk Cousins.

To me it looks like the Vikings get pushed around in negotiations like their defensive line does. It's kind of like a Herschel Walker trade II.

Post #: 917
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 4:00:45 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

Some speculation from Peter King. Speculation, mind you. I don't believe this will happen, but this is Peter King.

The Texans receive Jimmy G, Niners first round pick (2021), Vikings first round picks in 2021 and 2023, Vikings 2022 and 2023 second round picks, Anthony Barr and Alexander Mattison.

To me it looks like the Vikings get pushed around in negotiations like their defensive line does. It's kind of like a Herschel Walker trade II.

Well if it nets us Watson....

But then we have no draft capital to fix the massive hole in the offensive line.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 918
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 4:13:03 PM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

But then we have no draft capital to fix the massive hole in the offensive line.

Bottom line is that we would be trading Cousins, Barr, Mattison, 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks for Watson.

Post #: 919
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 4:19:25 PM   
Todd M

Pass.
Post #: 920
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 4:19:43 PM   
Bruce Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Bottom line is that we would be trading Cousins, Barr, Mattison, 2 first round picks and 2 second round picks for Watson.

Yeah. I was thinking that if Houston or San Francisco had a nice offensive lineman to throw our way it would be helpful. I don't know how the salary cap would look like afterwards. We would lose the Cousins and Barr contracts, but pick up Watson's contract. There might be a lot of dead money all over the place.

Post #: 921
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 4:29:34 PM   
ronhextall

I would make that trade in a second for Mahomes. If you think Watson is that good it should be done if offered.
Post #: 922
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 4:56:17 PM   
Todd M

I just don't see how you can strip this team of draft picks for another high price qb when we're not clear of paying the current one.

Seems like we'd be taking it on both ends for years. What does this team look like in 3 years?
Post #: 923
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 5:26:09 PM   
Murph

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Yeah. I was thinking that if Houston or San Francisco had a nice offensive lineman to throw our way it would be helpful. I don't know how the salary cap would look like afterwards. We would lose the Cousins and Barr contracts, but pick up Watson's contract. There might be a lot of dead money all over the place.

Throw in Kinlaw and we have our 3 technique.

Hey Wilf's, let's build a "Perennial Super Bowl contender" not a "perennial playoff contender".
Post #: 924
RE: General Vikes Talk - 2/22/2021 9:12:06 PM   
kwheats

Blockbuster Trade Proposal Sends Deshaun Watson to Vikings, Kirk Cousins to 49ers
Peter King's proposal would also give the Texans Jimmy Garoppolo, but it's a major longshot.
WILL RAGATZUPDATED:FEB 22, 2021ORIGINAL:FEB 22, 2021
As of now, the Deshaun Watson situation in Houston remains at a standstill. New Texans GM Nick Caserio isn't listening to offers for his superstar quarterback, but Watson hasn't changed his stance about not wanting to play for an organization led by Cal McNair and Jack Easterby.

So we wait, and the speculation continues. In his latest Football Morning in America column for Pro Football Talk, Peter King addressed Watson's future and came up with several blockbuster trade proposals involving the disgruntled QB. King created hypothetical two-team deals that would send Watson to the Panthers, Jets, and 49ers. But it's the last of four proposals that caught the eyes of Vikings fans.

King's final proposal, which he calls a "wing and a prayer," is a three-team QB swap that sends Watson to the Vikings, Kirk Cousins to the 49ers, and Jimmy Garoppolo to the Texans. It's incredibly unlikely for a number of reasons, but it's notable that someone like King –– one of the most plugged-in, respected NFL writers out there –– would even discuss it as a possibility.

Here's the proposal from King:

This is centered on the premise that San Francisco would not want to rip apart a team and a future, and might be willing to take a lesser deal for a quarterback Shanahan has long admired. And also that Caserio, in the heart of the draft room in 2014 when the Patriots made Garoppolo a second-round pick, would want to try again with Jimmy G. It’s a wing and a prayer, but fascinating to me.

Proposal: The Vikings send quarterback Kirk Cousins to San Francisco. The Niners send Garoppolo to Houston, if, of course, he’d waive his no-trade. The Texans send Watson to Minnesota. In return: the Niners send their first-round pick in 2021 (12th overall) to Houston, and they’re out. (So San Francisco would be trading Garoppolo and a one to Houston and getting Cousins with two years left on his contract.) The Vikings would send linebacker Anthony Barr and running back Alexander Mattison plus their first-round picks in 2021 (14th overall) and 2023, and second-round picks in 2022 and 2023 in exchange for Watson. Houston’s haul: Garoppolo, two ones this year, a one in 2023, and two second-round picks.

There's a lot to unpack here. Let's go team by team.

The Vikings get Watson for the price of the No. 14 overall pick this year, their 2023 first, second-rounders in 2022 and 2023, Cousins, Barr, and Mattison. Is that a big price to pay? Definitely. Is it worth it to land Watson? In my opinion, it absolutely is. Two firsts, two seconds, Cousins, an overpaid (albeit important) linebacker and a backup running back for a young top-five quarterback? When you consider the added bonuses of clearing the Cousins and Barr contracts off of the books, it's a deal that works out in the Vikings' favor. Minnesota hasn't made any calls about trading Cousins, but they would have to at least strongly consider this idea.

But, of course, that's not the biggest issue. The No. 1 roadblock is that there's been no indication Watson would waive his no-trade clause to come to Minnesota and play in a run-first offense. Even if Watson would approve, the 49ers and Texans would also have to be on board...and I'm skeptical of that.

The 49ers get Cousins for Garoppolo and the No. 12 overall pick this year in this proposal. Even if there's truth to the idea that Kyle Shanahan and SF would be interested in adding Cousins, would they really give up the 12th pick in what amounts to a Garoppolo-Cousins swap? I'm not sure the Niners do that (and I'm positive that their fanbase would be upset if they did, not that that matters).

The Texans lose Watson and get a return haul of Garoppolo, the No. 12 and 14 picks this year (which could potentially be packaged to move up for a QB), two players (Barr and Mattison), and three other picks from Minnesota: two seconds and a 2023 first. The Caserio-Garoppolo angle is an interesting one; Jimmy G's contract is a big one for a bridge QB, so maybe this is contingent on the Texans legitimately believing in Garoppolo. Three first-rounders and two seconds is a strong haul of picks.

In the end, there are many reasons why this is a major longshot. The Vikings aren't looking to move Cousins, and even if they're interested in Watson, he would also have to be interested in them. The 49ers may not want to give up the No. 12 pick for Cousins, and the Texans may not have any interest in the contracts of Garoppolo and Barr.

But hey, it's sure fun to talk about. With big names like King and Michael Lombardi continuing to mention the Cousins-49ers connection, that's something that must at least be taken seriously. And if the Vikings could land Watson in the process, they'd have to immediately be viewed as Super Bowl contenders in 2021 and beyond.
Post #: 925
Page:   <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode