Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  232 233 [234] 235 236   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 1:03:46 PM   
David Levine

Maybe not the greatest game for my first live game in 20 years...

Thoughts:

Vikings fans outnumbered Raiders fans 3 to 1. Easily. There were probably 20,000 fans walking down Hacienda Ave to the game and it was a sea of purple.

That said, Vegas Raiders fans are cool. They were loud and they cheered, but they were always respectful and good to talk to.

The Stadium is boring as hell. Its cool enough outside, but inside it might as well be the Metrodome with a better screen. No character at all, nothing interesting. And speaking of the screen, they almost never show replays. Its always showing people in the crowd. Its frustrating.

The game:

KOC has turned Dobbs into the worst version of himself. He's coached all the "sandlot" out of him and tried to make him into a pocket passer. You can literally see him thinking about what to do instead of just doing it. And with his horrible accuracy, there is no chance that works. I think we had single digit passing yards going into the 4th. I really want to root for him, but he's closer to Joe Webb than to a QB.

Our O-Line looked like swiss cheese. Even before th einjuries, they were getting killed.

Addison can NOT beat a jam at the line. It eliminates him from the play immediately. I was watching him a lot and he really struggled to get open. I can;t remember any plays we missed by not targeting him.

KJ is exactly who I've been saying he is. Dude can not catch a contested ball to save his life. Was it 4 drops? Powell is WAY better than he is.

Defense was mostly great, but I think the Raiders left a lot on the field. They looked every part of the bottom 3 offense that they are.

Another Delay of Game coming out of a Time Out we called. I still think KOC is in over his head as a first time HC and first time playcaller.

I wouldn't can KOC after this year, but if we're forced to make a choice between him and losing Flores, I give the job to Flores. We can not have another Dungy/Tomlin situatuation.
Post #: 5826
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 1:08:53 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: beo

Flores is an INCREDIBLE defensive coordinator.

But people have serious short term memory on his head coaching stint.
He was not a great head coach.
He was not good for Tua.

Best case scenario is Flores beef with the NFL and some of his bad press by Tua/former players keeps him with Vikes for another year and KOC improves.

Sounds like Belichick.

But I have no idea if the time away, or coaching under such a player's coach like KOC changed anything. Fortunately the people who have to make that decision are around him every day and if they think he'll be a better coach (and he wasn't bad, he was above .500 his final 2 years there), then I'd do it.
Post #: 5827
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 1:48:56 PM   
David F.

I’ll second everything David L said but would add that I liked the “house band” and the music selection. Among many other great choices, they played cypress hill’s rockstar and South of Heaven by Slayer. Seriously though - it was almost zero replays. Ditto on the kindness and passion of their fans. I was able to trade information with the guys behind me and I think I’m in their gang now even though I’m not a Cholo.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5828
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 1:57:58 PM   
beo

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

I’ll second everything David L said but would add that I liked the “house band” and the music selection. Among many other great choices, they played cypress hill’s rockstar and South of Heaven by Slayer. Seriously though - it was almost zero replays. Ditto on the kindness and passion of their fans. I was able to trade information with the guys behind me and I think I’m in their gang now even though I’m not a Cholo.

Nice!
Post #: 5829
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 2:04:34 PM   
Mark C. Johnson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ricky J

quote:

Let's be honest. It's not getting fixed with KOC either.

What's honest about that? He hasn't even had 2 seasons. He just lost his QB. It's starting from scratch during the stretch run.

whatever -- getting into it with you guys on this board is not a battle that can be won

It's just differing opinions. It's fine. I'm just seeing a guy do silly things like getting delays of game after timeouts and poor clock management. Seems very slow to recognize problems and address them too. Dobbs should have been pulled in the Bears game and at the very worst at halftime of the Raiders game. To me these are red flags but I have no problem with your views on it.

I agree that the failure to pull Dobbs was an error by KOC. He's the head coach. The QB was stinking up the joint. The failure to address the problem shows a lack of leadership by KOC. Having said that, the failure to have a reasonable plan to succeed Cousins is not only this front office's failure but goes back to the previous regime also. Neither front office developed a plan for the QB after Cousins and the result is watching a 3-0 "win". These guys are paid big money to GM a team and both the current GM and previous one did absolutely nothing to prepare for either a Cousins injury or departure. I'm sick and tired of having crappy QB play and that goes back a very, very long way.
Post #: 5830
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 2:05:14 PM  1 votes
David F.

Hot takes while connecting in Denver: I have no problem who they start at qb for any game going forward - including Dobbs. Dude played poorly yesterday but not as poorly as it seemed. He outperformed every O lineman and every pass catcher not named Jefferson.

Mattison continues to be the adequate running back we expected. I’m still puzzled by the hate he gets from fans.

It’s too early to judge Kevin O’Connell. I won’t make a judgement on him until he gets a quality qb of his choosing or until he completes five years.

If Flores says ‘make me head coach or I walk’ I’d have to really think it over and wouldn’t be afraid to say ok or sorry.

Lots of twitter folks asking if anyone misses Kirk cousins now. I guess yesterday’s game was kind of the Super Bowl for Kirk fans (they lose again btw). I don’t miss him. We continue to get the same results with him or without him. I don’t care if he gets yards or TDs more efficiently. I don’t cheer for stats. I cheer for the chance to reach the Super Bowl. If I were a Kirk fan I’d be careful about promising the team would be so much better with him when we get better results without him and he’s replaced with a pile of below-average nobodies.

I look forward to taking a chance on a rookie qb with the possibility of being a quality player on a cheap deal with skills for the modern game. I’ll like it even better if that player is perceived by fans and media as being an awesome Christian and excellent family man. I hope the new guy’s wife buys his clothes for him at Kohls. Why? Because I know MN fans and media eat that shit up and I want the new guy to feel appreciated and at home. Just don’t be a check down coward that just works here.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 5831
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 2:08:54 PM   
marty

I was wrong when I said before the season started that we would be discussing whether or not to make Flores the head coach during the off-season, it's a good discussion already in December.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5832
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 2:13:44 PM   
Jeff Jesser

I asked the question before the bye but it begs asking again. Did we make a mistake trading Cleveland? Our OLine play has been downright bad again since he left. Could be injuries, we overvalued Risner, we undervalued Cleveland or just coincidence but man. They've looked terribly for weeks now.
Post #: 5833
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 2:17:58 PM   
David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

I asked the question before the bye but it begs asking again. Did we make a mistake trading Cleveland? Our OLine play has been downright bad again since he left. Could be injuries, we overvalued Risner, we undervalued Cleveland or just coincidence but man. They've looked terribly for weeks now.

It was a weird trade - sacrificing needed depth for a late pick.
Post #: 5834
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 2:19:37 PM   
Jeff Jesser

Not Vikings related but WTF is Mahomes doing whining and bitching about that offensive offsides call? Man up pumpkin. You don't get special behavior because your the golden boy. Toney was clearly offsides. He and Reid are just looking like childish spoiled rotten brats.
Post #: 5835
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 2:21:53 PM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

I was wrong when I said before the season started that we would be discussing whether or not to make Flores the head coach during the off-season, it's a good discussion already in December.

Not a fan of defensive guys as head coaches, they all seem to struggle in the new era of football.
Post #: 5836
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 2:24:45 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark C. Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

What's honest about that? He hasn't even had 2 seasons. He just lost his QB. It's starting from scratch during the stretch run.

whatever -- getting into it with you guys on this board is not a battle that can be won

It's just differing opinions. It's fine. I'm just seeing a guy do silly things like getting delays of game after timeouts and poor clock management. Seems very slow to recognize problems and address them too. Dobbs should have been pulled in the Bears game and at the very worst at halftime of the Raiders game. To me these are red flags but I have no problem with your views on it.

I agree that the failure to pull Dobbs was an error by KOC. He's the head coach. The QB was stinking up the joint. The failure to address the problem shows a lack of leadership by KOC. Having said that, the failure to have a reasonable plan to succeed Cousins is not only this front office's failure but goes back to the previous regime also. Neither front office developed a plan for the QB after Cousins and the result is watching a 3-0 "win". These guys are paid big money to GM a team and both the current GM and previous one did absolutely nothing to prepare for either a Cousins injury or departure. I'm sick and tired of having crappy QB play and that goes back a very, very long way.

Spot on!
Post #: 5837
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 2:43:09 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark C. Johnson

quote:

quote:

quote:

Spot on!

It takes me back to Christian Ponder and how the powers that be were concerned if they got a QB to compete with Ponder that he wouldn't be able to handle the stress...

Um. Hello? If he can't handle that stress he wont handle playing the NFL well for long either. and guess what? He didn't.

I don't know if Cousins could handle it or not, but they should have drafted a guy or had a far better back up option in case Cousins went down. and now that he has we are reaping the consequences of that decision.

Nick Mullens and Jaren Hall are your options? Shit.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 5838
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 3:00:22 PM  1 votes
Phil Riewer

quote:

Hot takes while connecting in Denver: I have no problem who they start at qb for any game going forward - including Dobbs. Dude played poorly yesterday but not as poorly as it seemed. He outperformed every O lineman and every pass catcher not named Jefferson.

Mattison continues to be the adequate running back we expected. I’m still puzzled by the hate he gets from fans.

It’s too early to judge Kevin O’Connell. I won’t make a judgement on him until he gets a quality qb of his choosing or until he completes five years.

If Flores says ‘make me head coach or I walk’ I’d have to really think it over and wouldn’t be afraid to say ok or sorry.

Lots of twitter folks asking if anyone misses Kirk cousins now. I guess yesterday’s game was kind of the Super Bowl for Kirk fans (they lose again btw). I don’t miss him. We continue to get the same results with him or without him. I don’t care if he gets yards or TDs more efficiently. I don’t cheer for stats. I cheer for the chance to reach the Super Bowl. If I were a Kirk fan I’d be careful about promising the team would be so much better with him when we get better results without him and he’s replaced with a pile of below-average nobodies.

I look forward to taking a chance on a rookie qb with the possibility of being a quality player on a cheap deal with skills for the modern game. I’ll like it even better if that player is perceived by fans and media as being an awesome Christian and excellent family man. I hope the new guy’s wife buys his clothes for him at Kohls. Why? Because I know MN fans and media eat that shit up and I want the new guy to feel appreciated and at home. Just don’t be a check down coward that just works here.

What are you trying to justify David? Your First, 3rd, 4th, and 5th sentences seem to somehow deflect that your philosphy of any QB coming in and scoring more than 20 points was wrong?

Most are at best 50% that Kirk should be back....

How about you just say you are wrong in what you thought.....it isn't easy getting a qb that can throw for 16 TDS in 6.75 games is it? There just aren't that many decent QBs; even moreso a functionable backup.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 12/11/2023 3:05:13 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 5839
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 3:01:55 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

Dobbs was the issue...he stayed in the pocket too long and he missed multiple line calls on blitzes. As soon as Mullens came in and threw in rythm the oline was holding up fine.

Post #: 5840
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 3:06:40 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

What are you trying to justify David? Your First, 3rd, 4th, and 5th sentences seem to somehow deflect that your philosphy of any QB coming in and scoring more than 20 points was wrong?

How about you just say you are wrong in what you thought.....it isn't easy getting a qb that can throw for 16 TDS in 6.75 games is it? There just aren't that many decent QBs; even as a backup.

I’m not, and never have, trying to lump our backups into the good pile. I am, and have been, lumping cousins into the not-great pile.

More hot takes: I’d like to sell you a car. I have four available for sale. All four of them get you to the same place which is not near where you want to go. One of them has nice paint. The nice paint one costs 30x what the other three do. Will that be cash or finance? Of course it will be finance. We’ll stick a bunch of the cost into a year in which you don’t even own it anymore.

Edit - P.S. Hang the 16 TDs in 6.75 games banner! Hang it next to the “AD got a whole bunch of yards” banner. All I wanted was a ‘clock the ball and beat the chargers” banner.

< Message edited by David F. -- 12/11/2023 3:09:12 PM >

Post #: 5841
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 3:12:37 PM   
beo

quote:

Cleveland playing LT for the Jags yesterday... thought he looked ok.
Then he went out with an injury.

And I know that doesn't mean he would have gotten injured here... but, come on... it's the Vikes... we are doomed to suffer poor OL play, he probably would have gotten small pox.
Post #: 5842
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 3:24:58 PM   
ratoppenheimer

word is, wes phillips was pulled over Friday night because he had expired tags on his rear plate....

the journey...is paradise.
Post #: 5843
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 3:28:41 PM   
marty

David, I think your car that costs 30x as much probably doesn't have new paint.

It's a very old car that probably won't get you to your destination. It's great for short trips, it pretty much drives straight ahead, doesn't do well on turns. It also malfunctions sometimes on short trips and in bad weather.

It's functions are user friendly, it needs some engine work, the car can still get you to church, it's a straight shot.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 5844
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 3:31:38 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: marty

David, I think your car that costs 30x as much probably doesn't have new paint.

It's a very old car that probably won't get you to your destination. It's great for short trips, it pretty much drives straight ahead, doesn't do well on turns. It also malfunctions sometimes on short trips and in bad weather.

It's functions are user friendly, it needs some engine work, the car can still get you to church, it's a straight shot.

I think you’re correct and have painted a better picture with the metaphor. Let’s change it to - the 30x car is the model our dads had and so we have sentimental attachment to it.

Post #: 5845
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 3:32:03 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

quote:

quote:

How about you just say you are wrong in what you thought.....it isn't easy getting a qb that can throw for 16 TDS in 6.75 games is it? There just aren't that many decent QBs; even as a backup.

I’m not, and never have, trying to lump our backups into the good pile. I am, and have been, lumping cousins into the not-great pile.

More hot takes: I’d like to sell you a car. I have four available for sale. All four of them get you to the same place which is not near where you want to go. One of them has nice paint. The nice paint one costs 30x what the other three do. Will that be cash or finance? Of course it will be finance. We’ll stick a bunch of the cost into a year in which you don’t even own it anymore.

Edit - P.S. Hang the 16 TDs in 6.75 games banner! Hang it next to the “AD got a whole bunch of yards” banner. All I wanted was a ‘clock the ball and beat the chargers” banner.

You do know we beat Denver and Chicago with Kirk.

Just say you were wrong "I think any QB could come in and score more than our avg with Kirk".......I know it is tough to admit.

We now have a great Defense. I would like to see where we would be with Kirk; 8-5 is my guess as Dobbs played great against the Saints---we beat the Broncos and Bears with Kirk but lose to NO IMO.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 12/11/2023 3:35:07 PM >

Post #: 5846
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 3:33:52 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

quote:

Rick, don’t take it personally..

You are more a wait and see guy.

I am a “ stop being a dipstick and get this team rolling.. guy..

I was heavily invested in this team from ‘67 and on..currently, only Les Steckle, Leslie Fraizer and Brad Childress are the past coaches that I feel wasted the time of management and Fans.

The Butt Favre “ experiment was disgusting to me because of who he was and who he originally played for.

I could not get past that..

Initially I was a fan of Zimmer, but his stubborn, 70{ s style offense and gutless turtle with a lead philosophy ate at my “ take no prisoners and step on the neck” feeling, born on the 70’s with grant , the 80’s with Burns, and the offensive prowess that Denny Green brought to the team.

KFC is a game manager type QB.

And he sucks at it..

Last season was totally a record setting annomaly.

He reverted to norm, this season prior to injury.

Lost as much as he won and the improved defense had more to do with most of the wins by protecting the slim leads.

KFCks lifetime stats look good on paper,
Overall, KFC is a mediocre QB, who has PROVEN, He can’t win under pressure unless every break and throw Gomes out S planned in a way that makes him look good.

Multiple games as a Viking. After he get beat up, turned over or sacked.. the “ deer in the headlights” look on his face and his dancing around, afraid to take a risky chance on a play, his throwing short passes whenever he can’t be bothered to attempt a gutsy play, has me convinced he is a never will win anything QB, and I’m sick of him.

It doesn’t help, nay.. it’s worse that his current head coach can be out coached by every opponent we face, because it’s obvious that “ adjusting on the fly” or adjustments at half time usually mean failure or idiotic choices to try trick play that don’t work at the worst possible time.

I greatly dislike the way KOC coaches and calls plays.
He coached the natural risk taking and athletic ability right out of Josh Dobbs.

Josh dobs has obviously horrible passing mechanics and accuracy.

Should have been benched way earlier.

Going with “ I feel safe and comfortable with the KFC clone Mullins.. as back up QB..” is another strike against management and coaching..

This season is Lost.

You gain believe otherwise, but that is just purp,e koolaid drinking intoxication, and Some of Us long time fans god damn well know it.

We need to move on past neverwas KFC.

If that means cutting Mullins and starting Hall, and picking up another shit for brains scrap heap QB, I’m fine with that.

For a coach to prove his worth he has to coach outside his safety net..

KFC and Mullins are KOC blankie and teddy bear.

Josh Dobbs plays football with athletic ability, but shitty throwing accuracy.

What we need is a QBOTF that cand combine accuracy with escapability, and knowing when to run to evade preassure.

Hall is far closer to that, and whi,e he might be raw with rough edges.. playing “ safe” qb’s is gonna leave us drafting in the lower half of the draft forever..

Draftring 25 or lower means you had a good season.. drafting 10 or higher means your in rebuild territory..
Drafting in the tens post between 15 and 25 means you just suck, but not bad enough to get good player, withou being able to find the Diamonds in the rough.

KAM has found a few, but he also blew his pick capital on a few fuching wastes like Cine and Hockenson.

Enough ranting.

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 5847
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 3:33:53 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: ratoppenheimer

word is, wes phillips was pulled over Friday night because he had expired tags on his rear plate....

What a rookie move. I can’t tell you how many in-depth inspections I’ve given my vehicle on nearly a daily basis not to mention a bunch of us drunks kept an eye on each others’ vehicles and alerted to any ‘pull-over’ worthy appearances.

Post #: 5848
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 3:36:53 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You do know we beat Denver and Chicago with Kirk.

Just say you were wrong "I think any QB could come in and score more than our avg with Kirk".......I know it is tough to admit.

I said “all we need is to average 20 points per game to equal what we got from Kirk”. Do you know we’ve won a larger percentage of games with dogshit at qb than when he played? Hell - I’m still waiting for someone to say we’d be 13-0 if Kirk never got hurt.

Post #: 5849
RE: General Vikes Talk - 12/11/2023 3:38:25 PM   
Ricky J

quote:

ORIGINAL: Daniel Lee Young

Rick, don’t take it personally..

No problem, Dan. ;)
Post #: 5850
Page:   <<   < prev  232 233 [234] 235 236   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  232 233 [234] 235 236   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode