Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: College Football (Future Vikings!)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  92 93 [94] 95 96   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 5:56:21 PM   
djskillz

Art, the point with the time off is that no team in bowl games is really playing at their best, or near it. IMO. So the further away from that you are the more random the outcomes.

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2326
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 6:01:17 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: djskillz

Art, the point with the time off is that no team in bowl games is really playing at their best, or near it. IMO. So the further away from that you are the more random the outcomes.

Chance is in every equation.
But if a team ... or conference is superior ... it should be even less prevalent, not more.
In the end it's how well you play on the same given day.

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 2327
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 6:35:41 PM   
djskillz

BTW, if we're going to talk about regional favors in bowl games, talk about homefield advantages for the Pac12 teams so far.

AZ: essentially a home game in Glendale vs. Boise State
ASU: essentially a home game at El Paso (6 hr drive) vs. Duke
Stanford: essentially a home game at Santa Clara vs. Maryland
USC: essentially a home game in SD vs. Nebraska

The only one that hasn't been a home game is Utah vs. Colorado State in Vegas, and even that is muuuuuuch closer for Utah (6 hr drive).

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring."
Post #: 2328
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 6:41:27 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Art

quote:

But if a team ... or conference is superior ... it should be even less prevalent, not more.

Cream of the crop will rise to the top!

I am collecting for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society in memory of my fiance who passed away on 9/9/2006. If anyone would like to donate just go to http://pages.lightthenight.org/mn/TwinCiti09/SMiller Any and all donations will be greatly appreciated.
  Post #: 2329
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 6:42:54 PM   
quote:

So with that line of thinking Dustin we should have one hell of a Championship game in a couple weeks?

Post #: 2330
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 6:45:46 PM   
djskillz

It'll help the Championship game be better IMO. The fact that they will have at least played the week before. But that's always been my biggest problem with the bowls; the 4-6 week layoff. There's no way in my mind that those teams are playing at their best with that kind of time off. None. What other sport does anything even close to that? And the academic argument for the kids is the biggest load of crap the NCAA puts out there. Well, next to paying everyone involved but the kids themselves.

Post #: 2331
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 7:07:27 PM   
quote:

BTW, if we're going to talk about regional favors in bowl games, talk about homefield advantages for the Pac12 teams so far.

AZ: essentially a home game in Glendale vs. Boise State
ASU: essentially a home game at El Paso (6 hr drive) vs. Duke
Stanford: essentially a home game at Santa Clara vs. Maryland
USC: essentially a home game in SD vs. Nebraska

The only one that hasn't been a home game is Utah vs. Colorado State in Vegas, and even that is muuuuuuch closer for Utah (6 hr drive).

Fiesta is the Fiesta.
Holiday is always Pac 12 vs. Big 10.
The Santa Clara game is basically an attempt to get butts into in the seats. Didn't work. 60% empty.
Sun Bowl ... hasn't been relevant in a while.

Pretty much all the bowls try to centralize.
Peach Bowl. Sugar Bowl. Cotton Bowl. Alamo Bowl.

Post #: 2332
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 7:08:49 PM   
Richrod's face at the end ... priceless.

Post #: 2333
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 7:12:41 PM   
Orange Bowl has close proximity teams too.

Post #: 2334
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 7:14:56 PM   
djskillz

quote:

I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing Murf's point about SEC teams somehow getting a homefield advantage in bowl games. The first 5 Pac12 Bowl games have had huge homefield/travel advantages, with 3 of the 5 (above) REALLY home games; either at home or within a couple hrs away.

Post #: 2335
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 7:23:27 PM   
quote:

quote:

I'm not arguing that. I'm arguing Murf's point about SEC teams somehow getting a homefield advantage in bowl games. The first 5 Pac12 Bowl games have had huge homefield/travel advantages, with 3 of the 5 (above) REALLY home games; either at home or within a couple hrs away.

You're right.
As a general rule they try and situate games to maximize attendance regardless of conference.
Penn St vs. BC in Yankee Stadium for instance.

Post #: 2336
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 7:25:15 PM   
Boise State is a good team.
They still have Erickson's recruits.
Rich rod is over-rated.

Post #: 2337
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 7:26:05 PM   
Dave Odle

quote:

For real. The close lemon-puckering cousin of Sean Payton. Congrats to my Broncos! It was tight, but we prevailed against the #10 team in the country.

Try using hindsight in the present.
Post #: 2338
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 7:27:08 PM   
If Miss St. struggles vs. GT it says something about fast paced quick strike teams vs. the SEC.

Post #: 2339
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 7:28:21 PM   
quote:

ORIGINAL: Dave Odle

quote:

For real. The close lemon-puckering cousin of Sean Payton. Congrats to my Broncos! It was tight, but we prevailed against the #10 team in the country.

Congrats.
Spent Xmas with your center. Viking Don's nephew. Marcus Henry.
Good kid.

Post #: 2340
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 7:36:57 PM   
Does anybody go to Bowl games anymore?

Post #: 2341
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 7:38:07 PM   
djskillz

quote:

If Miss St. struggles vs. GT it says something about fast paced quick strike teams vs. the SEC.

Ya. Not sure if it's that or just the triple option, but that would be 3 games lost against the triple option in a matter of weeks (Georgia/GT, Ole Miss/TCU, and MSU/GT). I said it about TCU/Ole Miss, but I will be equally surprised/impressed if GT beats MSU. I view MSU as about the same team as FSU.

Post #: 2342
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 9:07:06 PM   
JT2

quote:

ORIGINAL: kurt bilben

quote:

quote:

Cream of the crop will rise to the top!

Come on, you have one game left to prove who you are. The Seniors and draftees have just one last game. At some point you have to stop looking at stats, conference and strength of schedule, and let the games speak for themselves.

Hey, we have a playoff, isn't that what we wanted? Seems like some people would rather go back to the whole "This is who I think is the best team" system.

Not a perfect system, but at least it's going to be decided between the lines. The winner is the winner. Done. I like that.
Post #: 2343
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 9:53:47 PM   
Ian Joseph

Wave the white flag on the SEC.. I'm not sure this conference will ever play a game on this day again.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 2344
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 9:55:51 PM   
Daniel Lee Young

Miss St is so over rated
SEC as well...

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 2345
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 9:58:29 PM   
Jeff Jesser

You guys are over reacting. They are only getting smoked every game. Oh, wait.......
Post #: 2346
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 9:58:44 PM   
djskillz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

Wave the white flag on the SEC.. I'm not sure this conference will ever play a game on this day again.

Post #: 2347
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 9:59:54 PM   
Ian Joseph

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian Joseph

The next time someone says New Years Eve, the SEC logo will break out in hives.

Hate the message, not the messenger.

Enjoy the process; crave the goal.

Believe.
Post #: 2348
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 9:59:58 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

Sec being a dominant defensive conference has been pretty much hype lately. Besides Alabama I'm not seeing any great defenses. I'm not so sure Alabama is great on D right now. Can we end the SEC hype already?
Post #: 2349
RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) - 12/31/2014 10:01:09 PM   
Richard Neussendorfer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

You guys are over reacting. They are only getting smoked every game. Oh, wait.......

Cue the 6 weeks off excuses!
Post #: 2350
Page:   <<   < prev  92 93 [94] 95 96   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: College Football (Future Vikings!) Page: <<   < prev  92 93 [94] 95 96   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode