Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: MLB General Information PT 4

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  403 404 [405] 406 407   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/26/2017 9:50:30 AM   
McMurfy

I’ve had Altuve on my Fantasy Team the past three years, so I had a good idea of how good he is, but what I didn’t know is how clutch he is. 6 Post Season Home Runs? at 5’6”?

Joe Mauer would have to play 162 Playoff Games to hit 6 HRs.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 10101
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/26/2017 10:09:07 AM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: McMurfy

I’ve had Altuve on my Fantasy Team the past three years, so I had a good idea of how good he is, but what I didn’t know is how clutch he is. 6 Post Season Home Runs? at 5’6”?

Joe Mauer would have to play 162 Playoff Games to hit 6 HRs.

It is one thing to have the league's highest BA. He also hits in a park that is easy to hit homers in. But he is 5'6" and he had 24 HR's and 81 rbis. And an ops of 957 and an ops+ of 164 this past season.

And is coming up big in the playoffs.

An amazing player.

And apparently an absolute Esky-type in the clubhouse......keeps everyone loose.

MAGA needs to change to MAWA= Make America White Again

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 10102
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/26/2017 10:11:08 AM   
McMurfy

He also leads or is near the top in steals, so 50 or so singles become doubles.

The Curse of Mauer is gone!
Post #: 10103
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/26/2017 11:13:17 AM   
Mr. Ed

Wow

Joe Girardi will not return for an 11th season as New York Yankees manager. The team announced his departure on Thursday.

Girardi issued a statement on his departure via Ken Rosenthal of The Athletic:

"With a heavy heart, I come to you because the Yankees have decided not to bring me back. I’d like to thank the Steinbrenner family for believing in me and giving me this wonderful opportunity. I would like to thank Brian Cashman and his staff for hiring me and always trying to improve the team. I would like to thank my Coaches and support staff for their dedication to always trying to make the players better and get the most out of them. I would like to thank the training staff and the strength Coaches for their tireless efforts of trying to keep the players on the field and healthy. I would like to thank the clubhouse personnel for making the clubhouse our home away form home. I would like to thank the players for the relationships that we have fostered over the last 10 years but most important, how hard they played every day. I would like to thank Damon Oppenheimer and his staff for their hard work in trying to find us the best players available in the draft. I would like to thank the minor league staff for developing these young players. I would like to thanks Ben Tuliebitz for making our travel easy and always taking care of our families. I want to thank the media for always being fair with me and helping grow this wonderful game. Finally, I’d like to thanks the Fans for their great support as a Player, Coach and Manager and the lasting memories of their passion and excitement during the Playoff Games, especially the final six games which will remain in my heart forever."

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10104
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/26/2017 11:14:51 AM   
Mr. Ed

Here you go Matt

Last night's Game 2 of the World Series turned into a virtual home run derby, leading to speculation that has run rampant all season: that the baseballs are somehow juiced.

The Los Angeles Dodgers and the Houston Astros combined for eight home runs in Houston's 7–6 11th inning triumph which tied the best–of–seven series at one game apiece.

The Astros themselves hit three homers in extra innings.

“Obviously, the balls are juiced," said Astros pitcher Dallas Keuchel, via USA Today. “I think they’re juiced 100%. But it is what it is. I’m just glad we came out on top."

Keuchel, who lost Game One of the Sseries, says average guys are now hitting the ball out for park.

"There are really powerful guys in this league," Keuchel said, “and they’re going to get theirs. But where you can tell a difference is the mid-range guy who’s hitting 20-plus home runs now.

“That doesn’t happen. That’s not supposed to happen."

This season, there were 6,105 homers, breaking the all-time record. Houston hit 238 of those, only second to the New York Yankees and Los Angeles hit 221 homers.

"That’s what Major League Baseball wants," Keuchel said. “They want that exciting two home-run lead, and then they (the Dodgers) come back and hit another home run, and everybody’s still watching. That’s what they want. That’s what they’re getting."

Escape while you can!
Post #: 10105
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/26/2017 12:14:12 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mr. Ed

Here you go Matt

Last night's Game 2 of the World Series turned into a virtual home run derby, leading to speculation that has run rampant all season: that the baseballs are somehow juiced.

The Los Angeles Dodgers and the Houston Astros combined for eight home runs in Houston's 7–6 11th inning triumph which tied the best–of–seven series at one game apiece.

The Astros themselves hit three homers in extra innings.

“Obviously, the balls are juiced," said Astros pitcher Dallas Keuchel, via USA Today. “I think they’re juiced 100%. But it is what it is. I’m just glad we came out on top."

Keuchel, who lost Game One of the Sseries, says average guys are now hitting the ball out for park.

"There are really powerful guys in this league," Keuchel said, “and they’re going to get theirs. But where you can tell a difference is the mid-range guy who’s hitting 20-plus home runs now.

“That doesn’t happen. That’s not supposed to happen."

This season, there were 6,105 homers, breaking the all-time record. Houston hit 238 of those, only second to the New York Yankees and Los Angeles hit 221 homers.

"That’s what Major League Baseball wants," Keuchel said. “They want that exciting two home-run lead, and then they (the Dodgers) come back and hit another home run, and everybody’s still watching. That’s what they want. That’s what they’re getting."

It's a little absurd when you KNOW if a guy makes contact, there's a better than 50% chance it's going out. That's how I feel every time Turner and Puig come to the plate. And like Keuchel says, these scrawny guys like the Dodgers leadoff man...who had like one career HR before this season...when he's a HR threat every time up?...that's ridiculous IMO. I see MLB Network trying to give all the credit to his new swing...how he tries to emulate Justin Turner and a few other power guys. Hogwash. The balls are wound tighter, and more importantly, "seamed" tighter, so the pitcher can't get as much movement on the pitch, whether it's a fastball, curve/slider or change. I don't agree with messing with the game in this way. It'll create a bunch of guys with HOF arguments, especially since they aren't "cheating." You telling me most of these guys are better players than juicers like Canseco? Not a chance.

< Message edited by twinsfan -- 10/26/2017 12:15:49 PM >

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10106
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/26/2017 12:14:59 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Wow

Joe Girardi will not return for an 11th season as New York Yankees manager. The team announced his departure on Thursday.

"With a heavy heart, I come to you because the Yankees have decided not to bring me back. I’d like to thank the Steinbrenner family for believing in me and giving me this wonderful opportunity. I would like to thank Brian Cashman and his staff for hiring me and always trying to improve the team. I would like to thank my Coaches and support staff for their dedication to always trying to make the players better and get the most out of them. I would like to thank the training staff and the strength Coaches for their tireless efforts of trying to keep the players on the field and healthy. I would like to thank the clubhouse personnel for making the clubhouse our home away form home. I would like to thank the players for the relationships that we have fostered over the last 10 years but most important, how hard they played every day. I would like to thank Damon Oppenheimer and his staff for their hard work in trying to find us the best players available in the draft. I would like to thank the minor league staff for developing these young players. I would like to thanks Ben Tuliebitz for making our travel easy and always taking care of our families. I want to thank the media for always being fair with me and helping grow this wonderful game. Finally, I’d like to thanks the Fans for their great support as a Player, Coach and Manager and the lasting memories of their passion and excitement during the Playoff Games, especially the final six games which will remain in my heart forever."

He will go to the Red Sox. Bet they're happy they didn't sign Gardy.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10107
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/26/2017 12:17:00 PM   
sixthwi

quote:

ORIGINAL: twinsfan

quote:

Wow

Didn't the Red Sox hire Cora already?

The generation who would change the world is still looking for its car keys.
Post #: 10108
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/26/2017 12:17:30 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: sixthwi

quote:

quote:

Wow

I don't think it's official.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10109
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/26/2017 12:21:58 PM   
sixthwi

Indians hired Carl Willis as their pitching coach. Wonder if Chris Bosio will be Molitor's choice now?

Post #: 10110
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/26/2017 12:23:11 PM   
sixthwi

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Wow

I don't think it's official.

The Red Sox announced on Sunday that they have hired Astros bench coach Alex Cora as their next manager. Boston gave Cora a three-year contract with a club option for 2021. The team will hold a press conference to introduce Cora after the World Series between the Astros and the Dodgers concludes.

Post #: 10111
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/26/2017 12:47:17 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

Indians hired Carl Willis as their pitching coach. Wonder if Chris Bosio will be Molitor's choice now?

It's not going to be Molitor's choice. It's Falvey's.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10112
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/26/2017 1:26:09 PM   
twinsfan

You know how amlost everyone is throwing in the high 90s now? I think this is a direct correlation to the ball having less air resistance because of the lower seams. You can’t tell me “guys just throw a lot harder now than they used to.” To a small degree, yes, but in the last couple years it’s gone from 93 being a dominant fastball speed….to 93 being slow.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10113
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/26/2017 1:33:59 PM   
MDK

quote:

Wow

Sure hope that someone keeps close eyes on our two Yankee posters....SMF and Pete C, both of whom will be pretty despondent over the news.

WOW is right.

Different level of expectation in New York as compared to Minnesota

Tom Smothers RIP: Easter "is when Jesus comes out of his tomb and if he sees his shadow, he goes back in and we get six more weeks of winter."
Post #: 10114
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/26/2017 2:17:05 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: MDK
quote:

Wow

Sure hope that someone keeps close eyes on our two Yankee posters....SMF and Pete C, both of whom will be pretty despondent over the news.
WOW is right.

Amazing. Hard to know though how he would do with a Twins team. He has always had top talent on the team even in there weaker years.

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 10115
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/26/2017 5:24:57 PM   
MDK

SMF and Pete C already had a bromance going in the idle talk thread......their mutual sorrow will only solidify their relationship with Girardi's release.

Post #: 10116
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/27/2017 11:34:56 AM   
JT2

quote:

quote:

Wow

WOW is right.

Never even got to the ledge. Expected it.

Girardi was a good Yankee, player and manager.

As you noted, expectations are very high. Wouldn't have it any other way.
Post #: 10117
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/27/2017 11:40:05 AM   
MDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: JT2

quote:

quote:

Wow

WOW is right.

Never even got to the ledge. Expected it.

Girardi was a good Yankee, player and manager.

As you noted, expectations are very high. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Is SMF ok? haven't seen much of him lately.

Hope he isn't out on the ledge. But he has similar high expectations.

In Minnesota, we have none.

Post #: 10118
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/28/2017 6:31:21 PM   
twinsfan

Thoughts on the Gurriel suspension? I would have suspended him for at least 1 WS game plus 4 or 5 regular season games next year.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10119
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/28/2017 6:47:55 PM   
TJSweens

I think suspension during the series goes too far. This isn't the kind of thing that should be punished in a way that could affect the outcome of the series. Holding it until next year was appropriate IMO.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 10120
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/28/2017 7:46:51 PM   
twinsfan

I'm for the Astros. But how that foul off the foot is not reviewable??? Why not??? I thought they wanted to get this stuff right.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10121
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/28/2017 7:49:04 PM   
twinsfan

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

I think suspension during the series goes too far. This isn't the kind of thing that should be punished in a way that could affect the outcome of the series. Holding it until next year was appropriate IMO.

Making fun of race is a worse offense than bumping into an ump or spitting at someone.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10122
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/28/2017 7:53:44 PM   
twinsfan

There were actually a lot of boos for Gurriel when he came to the plate, and cheers when he grounded into a DP. At least a portion of Texas understands that racist jokes suck.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10123
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/28/2017 7:54:56 PM   
twinsfan

Of course I did hear some giant cheers when he was announced as well, which are probably 100% Trump supporters.

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10124
RE: MLB General Information PT 4 - 10/28/2017 8:03:04 PM   
twinsfan

How on is Charlie Morton right now? Wow!

Magic Number
Billy Hamilton 0
Post #: 10125
Page:   <<   < prev  403 404 [405] 406 407   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Other Minnesota Sports] >> Minnesota Twins >> RE: MLB General Information PT 4 Page: <<   < prev  403 404 [405] 406 407   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode