Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  193 194 [195] 196 197   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 8:31:58 PM   
Bruce Johnson

Yesterday was the third this season where the #Vikings offense got the ball back with under two minutes remaining to try and win the game and failed to get even ONE first down.

Not the reason we lost—but it does play a part.

Purple Post on Twitter

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4851
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 8:43:14 PM   
Arlowe84

Just brutal from our last 2 first rounders

Lowest grades:

Offense
• Bradbury: 38.3
• Dozier: 44.5
• Reiff: 46.3

Defense
• Gladney: 39.3
• Watts: 49.3
• Wilson: 50.2
• Mata'afa: 50.8
• Boyd: 52.7

Chris Jones completely whiffed on a tackle and still had 5 guys rate worse than him. Lol

< Message edited by Arlowe84 -- 11/23/2020 8:44:37 PM >
Post #: 4852
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/23/2020 11:02:22 PM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

A few thoughts:

1. Well, there goes the season. At least the Vikings dashed our hopes early. Usually the team sucks us in, strings us a long, then and finds a way to make it as painful as possible to be a Vikings fan.

2. When your team has as many holes as the Vikings do, you cannot be terrible in any one area. Mediocre, maybe. Our special teams are terrible. Definitely needs to be a focus of the team's attention going into next year.

3. What happened to Harrison Smith? Easily the worst game I've seen him play. Obviously he was trying to cover for the rookie CB's but he only made matters worse.

4. We need a QBOTF in the draft. Kirk can't put a team on his shoulders and lead them to victory. The Vikings need to keep swinging until they find their version of Mahomes, Rodgers, Wilson. Watch KC last night. Did anyone think that Mahomes was NOT going to lead his team to a comeback victory? It's not okay to settle for mediocrity at the position.

5. We have an elite core of skill position players on offense with Cook, Smith, Thielen and Jefferson. With a better offensive line this team could lead the league in scoring next year.

5. I don't trust Spielman at all, but the Vikings have a lot of quality players and can easily compete next year with a few smart decisions:

- save salary by booting Reiff, Barr, Rudolph, Harris
- draft/sign 2 OG's, 1 3T DT

That's it!

Spielman has a million draft picks, and could free up the cap space to make it happen. Of course we need depth, and we'll need another S, but if we make it a priority to fill those 3 positions this team can compete for a Superbowl next year.

We'll see...

Irv Smith is 164th in the league in receiving yards with 182. 20 yards per game over his 9 games. He could literally get that by catching 5 balls at the LOS, taking one small step, and lunging forward to the ground. Unrealized potential; the league is littered with those types.

Theilen IMO is not elite, although he has a lot of TDs this year. Depends on what you define as "elite". He had a great 20117 and 2018, and I think he will have a few awesome games this season, less next season, etc. Although, he may do well longer if the other weapons suck up more attention.

A QB is IMO part of an offensive skill set, at least as much as a TE. Cousins is not elite.

We have Cook and a rookie WR who will need to show year on year consistency, especially as he faces better defenders and possibly schemes against him. Ideally Smith Jr. joins them. And we get a QB. And blocking, yadda, yadda.

Irv Smith has elite level talent. The guy was a stud at Alabama, he's an excellent blocker and when he's been put into position to use his skills as a route runner and receiver he's performed. Our offensive gameplanning has not been good at taking advantage of his abilities, probably because our oline sucks and needs extra blocking help. For a few games it looked like they were starting to feature him more, but that positive trend has stalled in the past couple of weeks.

Thielen leads the league in TD's and averages more yards per reception than guys like Mike Evans and Davante Adams. He has speed and is considered one of the best route runners in the league with exceptional hands. He has a better skill set at the position than the vast majority of WR's in the league. That is "elite".

I did not include Cousins because he's not part of the core group I'm referring to. Although Cousins can play at an elite level occasionally, he certainly is not an elite QB.

Jefferson is currently the 7th ranked WR in the NFL, is on pace to top Moss's rookie stats, and has a serious case for OROTY. The kid is special and is absolutely an elite talent.

Like how you think. I love production and that's what Jefferson and Thielen deliver!

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 4853
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 1:26:01 AM   
David F.

Our TEs are not staying in and blocking because of the poor line. I’ve posted game-by-game tallies of this. We’re just not throwing to them.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 4854
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 3:51:22 AM   
Bruce Johnson

Based on PFF grading, #Vikings best:

- Run defenders: Kris Boyd (85.0) & Jeff Gladney (84.8)
- Tacklers are Anthony Harris (86.8) & Harrison Smith (81.7)
- Pass rushers are Harrison Smith (72.4) & Eric Wilson (70.8). - Coverage: Eric Kendricks (90.0) & Harrison Smith (77.6)

Warren Ludford on Twitter

We live in a world where we depend upon each other. In other words, we need each other just as God needs us and we need Him. How wonderful it would be if we could unite and live in harmony. Wouldn't it be better that way?
Post #: 4855
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 7:17:42 AM   
Arlowe84

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Based on PFF grading, #Vikings best:

- Run defenders: Kris Boyd (85.0) & Jeff Gladney (84.8)
- Tacklers are Anthony Harris (86.8) & Harrison Smith (81.7)
- Pass rushers are Harrison Smith (72.4) & Eric Wilson (70.8). - Coverage: Eric Kendricks (90.0) & Harrison Smith (77.6)

Warren Ludford on Twitter

I always wonder when you see CBs with high run grades, it's because the D line is so bad, they get a lot of opportunities

It's very distressing we seem to draft CBs (this year Gladney, Dantzler, Hughes), high, and they just don't seem to be very good.
Rhodes started out rough his first couple years before he got going, so hopefully Gladney/Dantzler can be the same.

It seems Zimmer's whole CB whisperer thing is a joke Rhodes seemed to regress early. he never developed Waynes into anything more than "solid", but had elite talent. Hughes, Gladney, etc, all just seem like guys out there
Post #: 4856
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 7:20:14 AM   
Arlowe84

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Our TEs are not staying in and blocking because of the poor line. I’ve posted game-by-game tallies of this. We’re just not throwing to them.

Yeah, you look at some of our OL grades they are not good.

Just a reminder that in addition to D, we really could use at least a couple good O lineman.

Bradbury looks like his ceiling will be average. There was a lot of hype on him, but he just hasn't been that good. For the 14th overall pick he's been somewhat a mediocre C for sure. Sure in his second year, but really hasn't flashed much dominance.
He flashes from time to time with his mobility, but struggles with big, strong D lineman
Post #: 4857
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 7:37:17 AM   
Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bruce Johnson

Yesterday was the third this season where the #Vikings offense got the ball back with under two minutes remaining to try and win the game and failed to get even ONE first down.

Purple Post on Twitter

oofda. Talk about needing to work on the 2 minute drill.

Most of this falls on Cousins. Doubt the offense has any confidence in him whatsoever.

many thought he may have turned the corner after the playoff win. But that actually happened on the first possession in OT not in the last 2 minutes.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 4858
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 8:02:47 AM   
Viking Rich

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: thebigo

Getting Oli Udoh on the field SOMEWHERE say at left guard could go a long way to fixing our OL.

We don't know this.

It could. but it also could not. We don't see the practices etc and there may be a reason he isn't getting a chance like he sucks more than Samia.

When we are officially out of it you need to see what you have.

Dozier is a stop gap.

I go Reiff/Cleveland/Bradbury/Udoh/O'Neill

We are not officially out of it.

But I agree, once you are...it's time to start playing the kids and backups to see if they have the capability to step up.

Jones played well. When Cleveland is back put them both in and see if that line is better. Udoh should get a shot a some point I agree, but there is a reason he hasn't we just don't know why that is.

Just going by this coaching staff's history, Udoh could be the greatest OL on the team, and he won't get to play, unless injuries force their hand (See Diggs, E. Wilson, O'Neil).

Give Chandler the Rock
Post #: 4859
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 8:39:00 AM   
Pauldiercks1

If you are talking winning? Yes we are officially out of it. News flash- even with a win over 2 win Dallas we were officially out of it.
this team has some outstanding players but we simply are not there. Green Bay was impressive but other than that we haven't looked like anything special.
The three division wins are unfortunate at this point. It was a perfect year to really suck but we screwed that up already as well. The worst thing is going 8-8 with many high priced veterans. I feel we have waisted a golden opportunity. I want a super bowl. Making the playoffs as a non threat doesn't do squat for me anymore at my age. With the defensive turn over and injuries and Covid this was the year to turn the page and suck bad so we could start a quick two year rebuild. I know many of you will disagree with the idea that wins are not a good thing but I've been around long enough and have seen this before. I'd much rather suck and rebuild it right knowing we already have some good young pieces to work with. The cap is going to hurt us again next year. I understand the team is paid to play, coach, and win games as they should be expected to. As a fan I was hoping they would fail.
Post #: 4860
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 8:54:54 AM   
ronhextall

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

If you are talking winning? Yes we are officially out of it. News flash- even with a win over 2 win Dallas we were officially out of it.
this team has some outstanding players but we simply are not there. Green Bay was impressive but other than that we haven't looked like anything special.
The three division wins are unfortunate at this point. It was a perfect year to really suck but we screwed that up already as well. The worst thing is going 8-8 with many high priced veterans. I feel we have waisted a golden opportunity. I want a super bowl. Making the playoffs as a non threat doesn't do squat for me anymore at my age. With the defensive turn over and injuries and Covid this was the year to turn the page and suck bad so we could start a quick two year rebuild. I know many of you will disagree with the idea that wins are not a good thing but I've been around long enough and have seen this before. I'd much rather suck and rebuild it right knowing we already have some good young pieces to work with. The cap is going to hurt us again next year. I understand the team is paid to play, coach, and win games as they should be expected to. As a fan I was hoping they would fail.

Agreed, there comes a point when you are better off being really really good or really really bad.

Mediocre with a roster of high priced veterans is the worst spot to be in. I would like big changes for next season but that isn't happening. Next season needs to be "it" for Cousins, Zimmer, and Speilman. Super Bowl or the Door, period NO EXCUSES, NONE.

In NFL terms Zimmer and Speilman have been given FOREVER.
Post #: 4861
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 9:11:57 AM   
kevinemmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bill Jandro

quote:

ORIGINAL: David Levine

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Anderson

Our CBs have no INTs.

Leading our CBs in PD is Holton Hill with 3.

Boyd could have won game yesterday. Bang bang but good CBs pick that one in EZ.

It seems almost impossible that after 10 games we have one DB with an INT (Smith with 3).

Anthony Harris has been invisible for the most part.

Except when he's doing his Sendejo impression of friendly fire.
Post #: 4862
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 9:41:19 AM   
Pauldiercks1

Different question, for those of you that keep on top of things.

What is keeping Trevor Lawrence (or any player for that matter)from not declaring for the draft and then signing with any team of his choice as a free agent probably for even more money?

I'm sure there are restrictions but I was asked this question from someone and did not have an educated answer for him. I am looking for some help from you guys.
Post #: 4863
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 9:46:00 AM   
Daniel Lee Young

quote:

ORIGINAL: Pauldiercks1

Different question, for those of you that keep on top of things.

What is keeping Trevor Lawrence (or any player for that matter)from not declaring for the draft and then signing with any team of his choice as a free agent probably for even more money?

I'm sure there are restrictions but I was asked this question from someone and did not have an educated answer for him. I am looking for some help from you guys.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/1/10/18176085/nfl-draft-eligibility-rule-age-reasons-trevor-lawrence-clemson

"Thou shall not bear false witness”
I am WRATH, incarnate.
@RlyeeNicole’sDad
Post #: 4864
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 10:02:55 AM   
Steve Lentz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Arlowe84

quote:

Yeah, you look at some of our OL grades they are not good.

Just a reminder that in addition to D, we really could use at least a couple good O lineman.

Bradbury looks like his ceiling will be average. There was a lot of hype on him, but he just hasn't been that good. For the 14th overall pick he's been somewhat a mediocre C for sure. Sure in his second year, but really hasn't flashed much dominance.
He flashes from time to time with his mobility, but struggles with big, strong D lineman

The OL problems have been obvious for years now. Unfortunately it seems tough for this team to use Round 1 draft choices on OL. Some of us have begged for it for years.

" I believe empathy is the most essential quality of civilization"
Post #: 4865
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 10:43:12 AM   
Jeff Jesser

Purple Post on Twitter

2 different posts but, IMO, go hand in hand.

The last 2 drives that people are blaming on Cousins not being clutch are a microcosm of this issue. Our play calling is based on a still subpar OLine. Kubiak knows this and calls blocking schemes that relies heavily on the TE's. In a 2 minute situation, down, he has to open it up. When he does we get quick pressure on Cousins and we all know he doesn't do well there. I don't have the game recorded but I remember saying to myself those last 2 drives "dammit, too much pressure now. We are doomed".
Post #: 4866
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 11:04:40 AM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jeff Jesser

Purple Post on Twitter

The last 2 drives that people are blaming on Cousins not being clutch are a microcosm of this issue. Our play calling is based on a still subpar OLine. Kubiak knows this and calls blocking schemes that relies heavily on the TE's. In a 2 minute situation, down, he has to open it up. When he does we get quick pressure on Cousins and we all know he doesn't do well there. I don't have the game recorded but I remember saying to myself those last 2 drives "dammit, too much pressure now. We are doomed".

No you misunderstood my post. The Vikings are NOT keeping the TEs in to block. They're just not targeting them on their routes. In Sunday's game Rudolf was assigned to stay in and block five times. Irv only once. They're doing the worst of both worlds. They're not staying in and blocking AND they're not getting targeted on their routes. This is a damn shame because the Cowgirls were leaving the short middle of the field wide open for most of the game and we never ran a quick slant with a TE or even a 6-8 yard curl. I think Rudolf caught one early in the short middle but it was more of a bail out after Kirk held the ball and then pressure came.

Dallas was selling out to stop the run and while we DID in fact still have some success with our run game (4.3 yards per carry and a TD) I think we would have had a better result had we traded in five or six of our runs for the aforementioned slants and curls to TEs. It would have forced Dallas to keep their LBs more honest to the short middle. In other words - take an easy 8-10 yards on the pass when they're letting us and then reap the reward of slightly better run results after the LBs react.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 4867
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 11:35:09 AM   
Bill Jandro

What's amazing is is that we can't move the ball in that 2 minute situation against prevent defenses.

I'm not blaming this 100% on Cousins because clearly Kubiak doesn't have this offense prepared tp play hurry up offense.

Dinosaur football.

Oline...early and often this draft
Post #: 4868
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 11:41:13 AM   
thebigo

quote:

What's amazing is is that we can't move the ball in that 2 minute situation against prevent defenses.

I'm not blaming this 100% on Cousins because clearly Kubiak doesn't have this offense prepared tp play hurry up offense.

Dinosaur football.

Nobody is playing prevent defense up 3 points with almost 2 minutes left.
Post #: 4869
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 11:43:50 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Dinosaur football.

No they simply know that we aren't going to be running the football at that point which makes the play action useless. And that is where Cousins has the vast majority of his success.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 4870
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 11:45:16 AM   
beo

quote:

quote:

Dinosaur football.

Agreed.... I think they brought pressure that last play.

I believe Kirk locked on to Thielen on a route that looked like it didn't have much of a chance to spring open.
It also appeared to me JJeff did get separation... and got no look.

Now there was pressure.

But I think some blame for both Kirk, the line and Kubiak go out.
Poor play call, poor blocking and Kirk locking onto primary receiver.
Post #: 4871
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 11:50:37 AM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

Purple Post on Twitter

No you misunderstood my post. The Vikings are NOT keeping the TEs in to block. They're just not targeting them on their routes. In Sunday's game Rudolf was assigned to stay in and block five times. Irv only once. They're doing the worst of both worlds. They're not staying in and blocking AND they're not getting targeted on their routes. This is a damn shame because the Cowgirls were leaving the short middle of the field wide open for most of the game and we never ran a quick slant with a TE or even a 6-8 yard curl. I think Rudolf caught one early in the short middle but it was more of a bail out after Kirk held the ball and then pressure came.

Dallas was selling out to stop the run and while we DID in fact still have some success with our run game (4.3 yards per carry and a TD) I think we would have had a better result had we traded in five or six of our runs for the aforementioned slants and curls to TEs. It would have forced Dallas to keep their LBs more honest to the short middle. In other words - take an easy 8-10 yards on the pass when they're letting us and then reap the reward of slightly better run results after the LBs react.

For years, OC after OC after OC on this team has not done what needs to be done to win games consistantly. This problem started PreZimmer. If the defense is selling out to stop the run then spread them out and pass frequently. when they finally adapt, run it down their throats.

Take what the defense is giving you and take advantage until they take it away. Once they do something else will open up for you to take advantage of. We need an OC that can recognize what the opposing DC is doing and take advantage. sometimes you need to impose your will, but for the love of all that is Football, you win championships by exploiting the **** out of our opponents weaknesses, not stubbornly sticking to one way of doing things. That means adapting week to week, game to game to game, series to series and even play to play (but that would require a QB smart enough to recognize a defense in front of him and attack it's weakest link).

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 4872
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 12:20:58 PM   
David F.

quote:

quote:

quote:

Purple Post on Twitter

For years, OC after OC after OC on this team has not done what needs to be done to win games consistantly. This problem started PreZimmer. If the defense is selling out to stop the run then spread them out and pass frequently. when they finally adapt, run it down their throats.

Take what the defense is giving you and take advantage until they take it away. Once they do something else will open up for you to take advantage of. We need an OC that can recognize what the opposing DC is doing and take advantage. sometimes you need to impose your will, but for the love of all that is Football, you win championships by exploiting the **** out of our opponents weaknesses, not stubbornly sticking to one way of doing things. That means adapting week to week, game to game to game, series to series and even play to play (but that would require a QB smart enough to recognize a defense in front of him and attack it's weakest link).

Love him or hate him by golly Bret Favre would change the play at the LOS in a heartbeat and was most often correct. My favorite quote from Sydney Rice in a 2009 interview was regarding this. He had caught a pass over the middle and turned it upfield for a big gain or TD (I don't remember - it doesn't matter). He said that they had called a run play. When he lined up he said he thought to himself what a great situation it was for a pass especially for his route. He said he missed the audible that changed it to exactly that. He ran his route and then turned back to see how the run play went and when he turned his head the ball was almost to him.

If I relate this to our team today we would still run that run play - and probably have success with it to the tune of four to five yards and that's all well and good. At the end of the game the stats will look good and some times we'll even win. But if we take the bigger prize that the opposing D is offering we'll win - MORE OFTEN.

Post #: 4873
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 12:26:59 PM   
David F.

I can apply the same concept to our D. If we're pretty sure we know what they're going to run out of a specific formation and personnel group in a specific situation - every once in a blue moon can we tell the defender to just sell out and jump the route? Yes we'll get burned sometimes but sometimes we'll get a pick-six. This year in particular this makes more sense than ever. Our offense is strong and can make up for getting burned once in a while. What do we have to lose? We're giving up a shit-ton of points anyway. Could just as well make some calculated gambles when the opportunity presents itself. There have been some pretty mediocre defenses over the years that have gone to Super Bowls because they were fortunate with turnovers.

Post #: 4874
RE: General Vikes Talk - 11/24/2020 12:33:03 PM   
SoMnFan

quote:

I can apply the same concept to our D. If we're pretty sure we know what they're going to run out of a specific formation and personnel group in a specific situation - every once in a blue moon can we tell the defender to just sell out and jump the route? Yes we'll get burned sometimes but sometimes we'll get a pick-six. This year in particular this makes more sense than ever. Our offense is strong and can make up for getting burned once in a while. What do we have to lose? We're giving up a shit-ton of points anyway. Could just as well make some calculated gambles when the opportunity presents itself. There have been some pretty mediocre defenses over the years that have gone to Super Bowls because they were fortunate with turnovers.

Someone finally agrees with my theory!
Same thoughts here
We ALWAYS play like we are protecting something, and it never pays off, we STILL get beat
That's as simply put, as it gets.
Hire some leaders who get that, and let's see what happens.
Sure, they are protecting their jobs. Guess what? That's soon ending too. So, wth ..... stop playing like you are protecting some legacy or some title or something.
You aren't, We haven't won shit. Get some people in here willing to push envelopes open.

Work like a Captain.
Play like a Pirate.
Post #: 4875
Page:   <<   < prev  193 194 [195] 196 197   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  193 194 [195] 196 197   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode