Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports Talk Vikes and Other MN Sports

Forums  Register  Login  My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums 

Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ  Ticket List  Log Out

RE: General Vikes Talk

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/6/2021 10:08:59 AM   
ronhextall

NFC title game or the door.

Speilman has had a decade, this is 100% his roster. The QB is not a project, he is a win now QB.

If not now when? I think it's ridiculous to be in control as long as he has and not have better results. Did he pitch the Wilfs on a multiple decade plan to get to a Super Bowl?
Post #: 1501
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/6/2021 10:36:01 AM   
TJSweens

O-line: Was bad last year and got worse before the draft. Davis will move in and start at guard immediately. This will improve the IOL on two levels. 1. His strength is point of attack. 2. His predicessors are so bad, he can't help but be an upgrade. Davis isn't quite as athletic as guys like Cleveland / Elf / Bradbury, he is a whole lot stronger. He won't get to the second and third levels in the running game as easily, but he will move bodies with that initial block. He will also hold the point of attack in the pass block. I expect Cleveland to be stronger this year. He has a big frame that can add both strength and size without sacrificing athleticism. Darrisaw will have a tougher act to follow than Davis. At the same time, Reiff was not a great LT. I would he was pretty much league average. I am confident that Darrisaw can step in and at least give us that.

D-line: The return of Hunter transforms any line. Add in Pierce and Tomlinson and this is a pretty solid unit. Looking forward to seeing the year two improvements in Wonnum and Lynch. Add Jones, Robinson and Weatherly and there is a lot of potential for the D-Line rotations.

WR: I don't know how much stock to give it, but PFF liked Ihmir Smith-Marsette. They said he could be one of the best deep threats in the draft. Maybe he can be that WR3.

Secondary: Hopefully the better scheme fit will help Peterson regain his old level of performance. IF everybody stays healthy and off drugs and out of trouble back there, this unit could be strong if unspectacular.

I see a NFC North title and at least one playoff win as achievable.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1502
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/6/2021 10:40:50 AM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: TJSweens

O-line: Was bad last year and got worse before the draft. Davis will move in and start at guard immediately. This will improve the IOL on two levels. 1. His strength is point of attack. 2. His predicessors are so bad, he can't help but be an upgrade. Davis isn't quite as athletic as guys like Cleveland / Elf / Bradbury, he is a whole lot stronger. He won't get to the second and third levels in the running game as easily, but he will move bodies with that initial block. He will also hold the point of attack in the pass block. I expect Cleveland to be stronger this year. He has a big frame that can add both strength and size without sacrificing athleticism. Darrisaw will have a tougher act to follow than Davis. At the same time, Reiff was not a great LT. I would he was pretty much league average. I am confident that Darrisaw can step in and at least give us that.

D-line: The return of Hunter transforms any line. Add in Pierce and Tomlinson and this is a pretty solid unit. Looking forward to seeing the year two improvements in Wonnum and Lynch. Add Jones, Robinson and Weatherly and there is a lot of potential for the D-Line rotations.

WR: I don't know how much stock to give it, but PFF liked Ihmir Smith-Marsette. They said he could be one of the best deep threats in the draft. Maybe he can be that WR3.

Secondary: Hopefully the better scheme fit will help Peterson regain his old level of performance. IF everybody stays healthy and off drugs and out of trouble back there, this unit could be strong if unspectacular.

It will be interesting to see how the roster shakes out. Lot's of potential but also lot's of question marks. If the Vikes only win one playoff game though, RS and Zim will be gone.

If the Cubs can win the World Series...
Post #: 1503
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/6/2021 10:42:42 AM   
TJSweens

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Happy Norseman

quote:

It will be interesting to see how the roster shakes out. Lot's of potential but also lot's of question marks. If the Vikes only win one playoff game though, RS and Zim will be gone.

You over estimate the Wilfs.

"The eternal fate of the noble and enlightened: to be brutally crushed by the armed and dumb."
Post #: 1504
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/6/2021 12:00:50 PM   
bstinger

10-6 or better and at least one playoff win and competitive in the loss is the minimum I'd expect to keep their jobs.

"You guys are true athletes!"

--twinsfan
Post #: 1505
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/6/2021 12:04:29 PM   
Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Alright I think it's time for our assessments of the team and what the expectations of success should be for the 2021 season.

On offense we have a good QB, two all-world WRs with nothing backing them, adequate TEs, and one of the best RBs in the league with ample talent backing him up. We have an excellent RT, a poor center, and three promising yet unproven guys at LT, LG, and RG. Our O-line depth looks good.

On defense we seem to be loaded. Hunter is all-world and so is Kendricks and Harrison Smith. Pierce and Tomlinson are unknowns but come highly regarded. The other DE is a mystery but we have quite a few options. Barr is OK, and we have a rookie coming in. The other safety might also be a rookie. Our CBs should be excellent with Dantzler, Patrick Peterson, Mike Hughes, Mackenzie Alexander and there is depth as well. Who knows about Gladney.

Special teams could again be our downfall. We literally know nothing about any of it. I guess for that matter maybe they'll be excellent.

In my opinion the goal of the season should be to win the NFC North and make at least the NFC Championship game. To avoid firings I'd say we need a minimum of one playoff win.

Dave you need to include FA Woods at Safety....There shouldn't be a rookie starting there.

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 5/6/2021 12:06:40 PM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1506
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/6/2021 12:08:42 PM   
David F.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phil Riewer

quote:

ORIGINAL: David F.

Alright I think it's time for our assessments of the team and what the expectations of success should be for the 2021 season.

On offense we have a good QB, two all-world WRs with nothing backing them, adequate TEs, and one of the best RBs in the league with ample talent backing him up. We have an excellent RT, a poor center, and three promising yet unproven guys at LT, LG, and RG. Our O-line depth looks good.

On defense we seem to be loaded. Hunter is all-world and so is Kendricks and Harrison Smith. Pierce and Tomlinson are unknowns but come highly regarded. The other DE is a mystery but we have quite a few options. Barr is OK, and we have a rookie coming in. The other safety might also be a rookie. Our CBs should be excellent with Dantzler, Patrick Peterson, Mike Hughes, Mackenzie Alexander and there is depth as well. Who knows about Gladney.

Special teams could again be our downfall. We literally know nothing about any of it. I guess for that matter maybe they'll be excellent.

In my opinion the goal of the season should be to win the NFC North and make at least the NFC Championship game. To avoid firings I'd say we need a minimum of one playoff win.

Dave you need to include FA Woods at Safety....There shouldn't be a rookie starting there.

That's right I totally forgot about that guy.

I wouldn't give ANY qb $30-50+ mil unless that QB had won me a Super Bowl. Did you win a Super Bowl on your rookie deal? Yes? Great! Here's your hugenormous contract. F it let's just run victory laps and love life. No? Good luck. Next!
Post #: 1507
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/6/2021 1:53:41 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: bstinger

10-6 or better and at least one playoff win and competitive in the loss is the minimum I'd expect to keep their jobs.

Their record can't be 10-6. 11-6 or 10-7. If they only win one playoff game, again, RS and Zim should be fired. 2 playoff wins in 7 seasons is unacceptable for a franchise that wants to win a Superbowl. If the Wilfs are happy with mediocrity, that's another story.

Post #: 1508
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/6/2021 6:38:07 PM   
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: ronhextall

NFC title game or the door.

Speilman has had a decade, this is 100% his roster. The QB is not a project, he is a win now QB.

If not now when? I think it's ridiculous to be in control as long as he has and not have better results. Did he pitch the Wilfs on a multiple decade plan to get to a Super Bowl?

No, but he has pics of Ziggy with sheep.
Post #: 1509
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/6/2021 6:44:36 PM   
Bill Johanesen

If you feel the frenzy now, it will hit a crescendo when we win a preseason game 23-3 against a team like Seattle with Russell playing one series and going 1-2, 12 yards.

And don't get me started on those vaunted June 1st cuts. SB bound! We are absolutely getting help, including the annual big safety from Cincy who we will cut.
Post #: 1510
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/6/2021 7:08:51 PM   
Todd M

Why be positive and hopeful when you can be surly and sarcastic.
Post #: 1511
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/6/2021 8:01:47 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1512
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/6/2021 8:03:13 PM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Their record can't be 10-6. 11-6 or 10-7. If they only win one playoff game, again, RS and Zim should be fired. 2 playoff wins in 7 seasons is unacceptable for a franchise that wants to win a Superbowl. If the Wilfs are happy with mediocrity, that's another story.

Wow. Only being one of the final 8 teams playing for the championship is a fireable transgression.

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1513
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/6/2021 10:08:22 PM   
The Happy Norseman

quote:

ORIGINAL: kgdabom

quote:

quote:

Wow. Only being one of the final 8 teams playing for the championship is a fireable transgression.

Like I said, if the Wilfs (and some Vikings fans) are happy with mediocrity then so be it. The Bengals were perfectly fine with Marvin Lewis as year after year he fielded a competitive Bengals team who could get to the playoffs - but no further. I’d like the Vikings to have higher aspirations than that.

Post #: 1514
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/6/2021 10:12:41 PM   
marty

If we don't see progress, I would fire Zim but keep RS.

SKOL to the BOWL !!!
Post #: 1515
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/7/2021 7:19:18 AM  1 votes
Bill Johanesen

quote:

ORIGINAL: Todd M

Pot meet kettle.

Too much mulch yesterday?
Post #: 1516
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/7/2021 8:06:50 AM   
Phil Riewer

Draft Thread highjacked moving into General.

QB: KC, Mannion/Mond Taxi:Stanley/Browning (2)
RB: Cook, Mattson, Abdullah, Kene, Ham (5)
WR: Thielen, JJ, Bisi, ISM, Beebe/Whoop/Chisena/Mitchell (5)
OL: Bradbury, Davis, O'Neil, Ezra, Darrisaw, Hill, Hinton, Cole, Udoh/Bailey/Dozier (9)
TE: Smith, Conklin, Dillon/Davison (4)
DLine: Tomlinson, Pierce, Hunter, Wonnum, Weatherly, Watts, Holmes, Jones, Twyman, Robinson/Brailford/Willekes (10)
DB: PP, Alexander, Hughes, Dantzler, Gladney?/Smith, Woods, Bynum/Metulles/Dorn (10)
LB: Kendricks, Barr, Shazz, Vigil, Smith/Lynch/Dye/Davis (5)
LS: DePaola, Bernard, Davison (1)
K: Joseph, (1)
P: Colquitt, Von Rosenberg, Davison (1)

If Davison takes over 2 spots....LS/P or LS/TE another position frees up for QB/Oline/LB

< Message edited by Phil Riewer -- 5/7/2021 8:08:20 AM >

SSG Riewer, Greg A Co 2/136 CAB
KIA 23 March 2007 Habbaniyah Iraq
Post #: 1517
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/7/2021 8:55:27 AM   
Brad H

quote:

If Aaron Rodgers does not play, the NFC North is very winnable. Chicago is a rising team and Detroit should be a hot mess with Goff as the QB.

Defense starts at the corners!
Post #: 1518
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/7/2021 10:09:37 AM   
Hats4Bats

WR: "I don't know how much stock to give it, but PFF liked Ihmir Smith-Marsette. They said he could be one of the best deep threats in the draft. Maybe he can be that WR3."

Diamond in the rough?

Pro Football Network: Minnesota Vikings receive an 'A' for drafting Ihmir Smith-Marsette in 5th round
BySean Bock May 4, 3:46 PM

The Iowa Hawkeyes had four former players selected in this past weekend's NFL Draft.

One of them was former wide receiver Ihmir Smith-Marsette, who was selected by the Minnesota Vikings in the 5th round and 157th overall pick. Smith-Marsette is the first Iowa wide receiver drafted in the 5th round or earlier in the Kirk Ferentz era and the first Hawkeyes wide receiver drafted since Marvin McNutt in 2012.

Smith-Marsette joins an already strong wide receiver group in Minnesota that features Adam Thielen and Justin Jefferson.

Pro Football Network's Nick Farabaugh handed out letter grades for each of the Vikings' picks in the 2021 NFL Draft, and the selection of Smith-Marsette in the 5th round received an 'A' grade.

"A dynamic speedster who can absolutely fly, Ihmir Smith-Marsette will give the Vikings yet another dynamic option in their already solid wide receiver corps," wrote Farabaugh. "Smith-Marsette should fit in nicely as a guy who can make tough catches over the middle and stretch the field as a Z-receiver. Overall, this is great value at a position where they needed to add depth."

Hats for Bats - - Keep Bats warm
Post #: 1519
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/7/2021 10:14:12 AM   
Hats4Bats

Smith - Marsette hilights... This was what we needed. PUMPED

Lengthy hilight reel.. but worth it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pR7m07KLqA

Nate Stanley looks pretty good in these, as well!

< Message edited by Hats4Bats -- 5/7/2021 10:19:07 AM >

Hats for Bats - - Keep Bats warm
Post #: 1520
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/7/2021 11:44:19 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Like I said, if the Wilfs (and some Vikings fans) are happy with mediocrity then so be it. The Bengals were perfectly fine with Marvin Lewis as year after year he fielded a competitive Bengals team who could get to the playoffs - but no further. I’d like the Vikings to have higher aspirations than that.

My aspirations are for us to go 20-0 winning every game by 50 points or more. My aspirations are very high. However, finishing the season tied for 5th in the NFL to me isn't failure.
If that's how you define failure so be it.

< Message edited by kgdabom -- 5/7/2021 11:47:35 AM >

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1521
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/7/2021 11:49:35 AM   
kgdabom

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hats4Bats

When I watched the Marsette Highlight I saw a player good at catching contested passes who seemed to have to catch far too many contested passes. In a highlight reel particularly shouldn't he be getting wide open?

"So let it be written.
So let it be done."
Post #: 1522
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/7/2021 12:13:47 PM   
David Levine

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Exactly.

44% of the teams in the NFL make the Playoffs each year.

If just being in that "elite" 44% every other year is enough for you, you probably have very low expectations.
Post #: 1523
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/7/2021 12:20:03 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hats4Bats

When I watched the Marsette Highlight I saw a player good at catching contested passes who seemed to have to catch far too many contested passes. In a highlight reel particularly shouldn't he be getting wide open?

If he's willing to work and learn, he's got two very good route runners to help him get wide open to learn from.

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1524
RE: General Vikes Talk - 5/7/2021 12:28:31 PM   
Trekgeekscott

quote:

ORIGINAL: Brad H

quote:

If Aaron Rodgers does not play, the NFC North is very winnable. Chicago is a rising team and Detroit should be a hot mess with Goff as the QB.

Detroit should be a hot mess because they are Detroit

I don't want to go through things that don't kill me and make me stronger anymore.
Post #: 1525
Page:   <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
All Forums >> [The Minnesota Vikings] >> Vikes Talk >> RE: General Vikes Talk Page: <<   < prev  59 60 [61] 62 63   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode